Randy Couture willing to fight in the UFC once more

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Offical Randy Couture to fight in the UFC once more

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:20 pm ET
Reigning UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture could return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship by year's end as part of an out-of-court settlement with the organization.

Multiple sources close to the fighter, speaking exclusively to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), today said that Couture is willing to fight once more for the UFC, possibly before the end of the year, as a potentia; resolution to his ongoing legal battles with the fight promotion.

However, Couture himself could not be reached for comment, and it's unknown if the UFC is even considering the offer at this point.

According to one source, as part of Couture's concession to return the octagon, the 45-year-old UFC hall-of-famer would want to walk away "clear and free" from the organization after the bout.

Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC), who hasn't fought since a third-round TKO victory over fellow UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga in August 2007, resigned from the organization two months later over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay, and the UFC's inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

However, Zuffa LLC officials believe, per his fight contract, that Couture's next two bouts must be in the UFC. Couture had said that he wanted his resignation upheld so he could move on with his career, including a potential bout with Emelianenko outside the UFC.

Back in February, Couture signed a deal with Mark Cuban's Dallas-based HDNet Fights promotion. The organization then filed suit against the UFC in Dallas district court to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Couture. However, earlier this month, a Texas appeals court ruled in favor of Zuffa and granted the organization's request for a stay against the motion.

In conditionally granting the stay, the court effectively deferred the case between Zuffa and Couture to arbitration to determine the fighter's contractual obligations to the UFC.

The ruling all but ensures that this case will be decided by a Nevada arbitrator and not by a Texas court, though it's likely that HDNet will appeal to the Texas Supreme Court. Arbitration between Zuffa and Couture reportedly has been under way in Las Vegas since early July.

Despite Couture's resignation, during a UFC 82 press conference in March, UFC President Dana White said that he had offered Couture a fight with now-interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on two different occasions. Although the fight never came to fruition, White has never ruled out the possibility of Couture returning to the organization.

In the other squabble between the UFC and Couture, the five-time champion's employment contract, which is separate from his fight contract, is the focus of a breach of contract lawsuit filed by Zuffa on Jan. 14 in Las Vegas. Zuffa contends that Couture violated the one-year non-compete clause in his contract by having his name and likeness used to promote fights outside of the UFC.

Couture's UFC employment contract expires on Oct. 11 of this year

May 17, 2004
i dont see it happening.

lets say he faces the winner of mir vs. noguera and he wins that match taking back the interim title ( i say taking back but he already has it). then what. the ufc lets him walk away as heavyweight champ. what good would that do for them.

May 3, 2002
i dont see it happening.

lets say he faces the winner of mir vs. noguera and he wins that match taking back the interim title ( i say taking back but he already has it). then what. the ufc lets him walk away as heavyweight champ. what good would that do for them.
If he fights by years end it won't be either of them I believe their fight won't be til next year and if he splits from the UFC he will be giving up the belt just like this last time.......Magine if they they Brock at him

Jul 24, 2005
If he fights by years end it won't be either of them I believe their fight won't be til next year and if he splits from the UFC he will be giving up the belt just like this last time.......Magine if they they Brock at him
I would love to see brock vs randy, but randy will be too much for brock standing,I'll would like to see to fight happen a year from now when brock stand up improves

May 3, 2002
I would love to see brock vs randy, but randy will be too much for brock standing,I'll would like to see to fight happen a year from now when brock stand up improves
I don't know how Randy keeps winning at his age but i'm not 100% sure he would dominate brock...well yeh he probably would because I wasn't too impressed with Brock after that punch he hit herring with it should have been over after that and not gone to a decision

Jul 24, 2005
I don't know how Randy keeps winning at his age but i'm not 100% sure he would dominate brock...well yeh he probably would because I wasn't too impressed with Brock after that punch he hit herring with it should have been over after that and not gone to a decision
I'm wit u on that brock is still one demisonal he should just work on his stand up and submission defense.

Jul 24, 2005
Sources: Couture versus Emelianenko targeted for early 2009

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:30 pm ET
The long-rumored heavyweight superfight between UFC champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) and WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko (28-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is currently being discussed for an as-yet-unspecified date in January or February of 2009.

Sources inside Couture's Xtreme Couture camp today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the ongoing negotiations between the UFC and both fighters.

The fight is far from a done deal. Many of the same issues that prevented Emelianenko from signing with the UFC during previous negotiations must still be ironed out. But it appears that the UFC and representatives for both Couture and Emelianenko are working towards bringing the two legends together for a Feb. 2 bout.

Additionally, the same sources are reporting that Couture is currently "actively training for a fight."

Couture has remained in shape throughout his self-imposed 12-month layoff, but his workouts are now reportedly being geared towards an apparent upcoming bout.

Adding to previous speculation that Couture's return may be on Nov. 15 at UFC 91 against Brock Lesnar, Xtreme Couture is also reportedly making travel arrangements to bring in several "larger heavyweights" as sparring partners for Couture.

Sources indicate the Emelianenko bout is contingent upon Couture defeating Lesnar in November.

MMA Rated first reported the possibility of Emelianenko as Couture's second opponent after Lesnar. That report also stated that the UFC hopes to make an announcement regarding a new contract with Couture as early as Tuesday

Jan 18, 2006
COUTURE WOULD GET WHOOPED IF HE FOUGHT BROCK, HE KNOWS HE DOESNT WANT TO SEE BROCK, BROCK IS WAY TO STRONG FOR HIM

Jul 24, 2005
Randy Couture and UFC Close to a New Deal

More on what could be a HUGE deal!

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer is reporting that a source close to the situation confirmed that Randy Couture is currently in negotiations with UFC for a new three-fight deal. If the deal comes to life, this would end the nine-month legal battle between Couture and the UFC.

If the deal is concluded in the next week, Randy Couture would face Brock Lesnar on November 15th, which will most likely take place in Portland, Oregon. There had been rumors of Couture agreeing to a one-fight deal to end the legal battle between he and the UFC, but these new talks involve a contract where both sides would expect Couture to retire as a UFC fighter.

Credit: Wrestlingobserver

Apr 25, 2002
Huge News!!!!

I dont think it'll be a title fight based on Randy not defending his belt as a champ should. Its kind of like when BJ Penn had the belt then left to pursue fighting at a heavier weightclass when he came back he didnt have the title.

If UFC gives Randy a great contract, and pushes hard for NY state to legalize sanctioned MMa fights, and get Fedor a 2 fight deal, they would bank in on a MSG event. I'd also like to see Noguiera fight Couture in Brazil too that be a good look. Imagine a card in Brazil with Noguiera, Silva and Machida on 1 night....

Feb 12, 2004
Wow, UFC is trying to milk the Randy situation as much as they can making a payday fight with Brock happen so fast but Randy will destroy Brock. Randy needs to fight Big Nog first imo.

Jul 24, 2005
Huge News!!!!

I dont think it'll be a title fight based on Randy not defending his belt as a champ should. Its kind of like when BJ Penn had the belt then left to pursue fighting at a heavier weightclass when he came back he didnt have the title.

If UFC gives Randy a great contract, and pushes hard for NY state to legalize sanctioned MMa fights, and get Fedor a 2 fight deal, they would bank in on a MSG event. I'd also like to see Noguiera fight Couture in Brazil too that be a good look. Imagine a card in Brazil with Noguiera, Silva and Machida on 1 night....
mane that Noguiera & couture fight gotta happen I would like for it to happen before that brock fight if these rumors come true

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
why ruin brock's career by feeding him to randy....then let randy fight fedor....than let both of them go after their fight.......naw....i highly doubt this will go down...although i wouldn't mind it
It's a win win situation. Randy beating up Lesnar wouldn't ruin his career anymore than him getting kneebar'd by Mir. If Randy beats Lesnar they can easily explain that as Lesnar losing to a HOFer and legend of the game .. plus Couture vs Lesnar would be a huge draw.

If Lesnar wins they've pretty much killed the hype to see Randy fighting Fedor. They can also easily propel Lesnar to a title shot which is exactly what they wanna do because Lesnar main eventing a show would bring in good money and beating the former (and technically still current) champion would justify his title shot.

Jul 24, 2005
UFC will make Couture's return official at Noon PT

By Steve Cofield

After 11 months of fighting in the courts it looks like the UFC and Randy Couture have buried the hatchet. The promotion is holding a press conference on Tuesday at Noon PT to announce a new deal with the heavyweight champion.

Couture is expected to face Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 in Portland in what could be the biggest pay-per-view show in the UFC's history. There is also talk now that with a win over Lesnar, Couture could face Fedor Emelianenko in 2009, under the UFC banner