Raiders rebuff former quarterback Rich Gannon's offer of help

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
Raiders rebuff former quarterback Rich Gannon's offer of help
By Steve Corkran
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 01/06/2010 07:05:04 PM PST
Updated: 01/06/2010 10:46:48 PM PST

Rich Gannon, whom the Raiders tried to banish from their facility earlier this season, is offering his help to the team and its embattled quarterback.

The Raiders' response?

"It's Rich that needs the help," Raiders senior executive John Herrera said. "When he goes on a radio show offering Mr. Davis help, Tom Cable help, the Raiders help, maybe it's Rich that needs the help."

Gannon revealed Wednesday on his Sirius NFL Radio show that he called Raiders managing general partner Al Davis the day before.

"I did something (Tuesday) that I can't believe even I did," Gannon said. "I picked up the phone and I reached out to Al Davis. So, I called Mr. Davis. I have not spoken with him yet, but I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

"I'd love to help JaMarcus Russell if he wants help. I'd love to help Tom Cable and that organization. It's important. Listen, seven straight seasons where they've lost 11 or more games? Something's not right."

The Raiders have expressed their displeasure over critical remarks about the Raiders made by Gannon, also a CBS-TV broadcaster, in recent years. They tried to ban him from their facility earlier this season for a CBS production meeting before a Raiders-Broncos game. The Raiders relented because of NFL rules requiring such access, but travel problems caused Gannon to miss the meeting.

The Raiders finished 5-11 this season and haven't won more than five games in any of the seven seasons since

Gannon led them to a Super Bowl appearance in the 2002 season.

Russell finished this season as the league's lowest-rated passer and owner of the league's worst completion percentage among starting quarterbacks.

Cable benched Russell after nine games because, he said, Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye gave the Raiders "a better chance to win."

Gannon has reached out to Davis and the Raiders in the past, he said in an interview with Bay Area News Group late last year. However, Davis and past coaches, Gannon said, never took him up on his offer for help.

Russell is in good hands with quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett, Herrera said.

"What does Rich Gannon think he has to offer that Paul Hackett can't contribute, when he said himself that Paul Hackett is the best quarterbacks coach that he ever had?" Herrera said.

In other news, Herrera said the Raiders were aware of Russell's trip to Las Vegas on Tuesday and that it isn't an issue to Davis or the Raiders.

"JaMarcus was in Las Vegas, and he was there with a (Raiders) staff member," Herrera said. "He was there for a legitimate reason."

Russell was excused from the year-end meeting with Cable on Monday for "personal reasons," according to Cable.

Finally, the Raiders signed wide receiver Shaun Bodiford to a futures contract. Bodiford spent part of this past season on the Raiders practice squad. Such players become free agents at season's end unless they are signed to a futures contract.

Dec 2, 2006
heard this in the morning. atleast the part about gannon reaching out to the raiders.lol al davis is a fool. why wouldnt he want gannon to mentor grads?

but al davis is a gangsta. you either with us or against us. lol

if you speak on the raiders, consider yourself disowned. i just have to laugh.

at this point, if we dont fire cable, bring in a OC. if we do fire him, bring in GM. the coliseum will be empty next year if this keeps up.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
"It's Rich that needs the help," Raiders senior executive John Herrera said.
lol. John Herrera is a piece of shit... he's Al's little fuckin puppet

it's this type of attitude that has lead us to 7 straight double digit loss seasons... even though I love the Raiders, sometimes I really fuckin hate them

Dec 2, 2006
i know man. it's sad that they really have no clue. they even said JR was accompanied by staff to Vegas on business.lol. talk about some bullshit. i am seriously thinking about not renewing my season tickets. the lady next to me may not renew hers and i was going to pick that one up too. and i know i am not the only one.

Mar 16, 2005
its completely asinine to cover for someone like JR, but turn away Gannon. So what he had an opinion, and for the most part it was true, get the fuck over it and let him help your squad.

Apr 20, 2003
I read this article on the Mercury News..... I know Gannon had his criticisms about the team but I feel thats fucked up on how they're shunning him away when he's only trying to offer his help. JaMarcus needs more help other than his QB coach, why not get some insight from one who actually played the position in that organization!

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
MAYBE, they dont want Gannons help cause they are going to leave JR out in the cold with no key to the Coliseum door...BYE BYE RUSSEL, you wont be missed....

Oct 23, 2009
Well what the fuck does Gannon expect?? How is he gonna bash the organization at the start of the season and then expect to be welcomed with open arms just cuz they sucked....they've sucked for the past 7 years! This ain't nothing new to The Cryptkeeper aka Al Davis. True he's an idiot but he is a consistent idiot.