Raiders cut ties with Brooks after one season

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 20, 2007
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2775325

Thursday, February 22, 2007
Raiders cut ties with Brooks after one season
ESPN.com news services

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders, who own the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft, cut ties with Aaron Brooks on Thursday, declining to pick up the option on the quarterback's contract after one difficult season.

Brooks, who would have been due a $5 million roster bonus if he had stayed on the roster, failed to win any of his eight starts with the Raiders. The quarterback, who signed with Oakland after six seasons with the New Orleans Saints, will now look to join his third team in as many years.

The timing of Brooks' release is interesting because the Raiders and first-year coach Lance Kiffin are in Indianapolis for the annual scouting combine, where former LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell will work out and is a candidate to be selected as the top pick. Russell and Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn are considered the two top quarterbacks in this year's draft.

Brooks' release saves the Raiders $5.72 million of salary cap room.

Brooks' one season in Oakland got off to a disastrous start when he was sacked seven times in a season-opening 27-0 loss to the Chargers. He got hurt after fumbling two snaps from center the following week in Baltimore and missed the next seven games with a strained pectoral muscle.

Brooks played better after his return in November, but still was unable to generate a win for his new team. He finished the season with a passer rating of 61.7 after completing 57.3 percent of his passes and throwing eight interceptions and three touchdown passes. He was sacked 26 times in eight games.

The problems on Oakland's offense went much deeper than the quarterback. Receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter were disgruntled and unproductive all season, running back LaMont Jordan went down with a season-ending knee injury in the same game Brooks returned from his injury, and the offensive line was one of the worst in the league.

Brooks acknowledged late in the season that he never could have imagined all that went wrong in his one season with the Raiders.

Oakland scored just 168 points in 2006, the fifth fewest in a 16-game season, and failed to score on offensive touchdown in eight games. Offensive coordinator Tom Walsh, who had been out of the NFL for more than a decade before returning to the Raiders, was demoted late in the season.

Head coach Art Shell was fired following the 2-14 season, the worst in owner Al Davis' more than four decades with the franchise. Lane Kiffin replaced Shell and has overhauled the offensive coaching staff.

With third-string quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo expected to leave as a free agent, Andrew Walter likely will be the only quarterback to return from last season. Walter went 2-6 in place of the injured Brooks last season, struggling with turnovers and accuracy.

Walter threw 13 interceptions, lost nine fumbles and was sacked 46 times. He completed only 53.3 percent of his passes, threw for three touchdowns and had a passer rating of 55.8.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton was used in this report.

Jan 20, 2007
T_B_I_B said:
The timing of Brooks' release is interesting because the Raiders and first-year coach Lance Kiffin are in Indianapolis for the annual scouting combine, where former LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell will work out and is a candidate to be selected as the top pick.
This is the best part of the story

Mar 16, 2005
????

welcome to the off-season shit happens.

And it could still happen. What if they trade for vick, get schaub, carr, etc....plenty of qb's on the market...so it's still a possiblity.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
You can't see it coming yet? Porter is on board. If Moss gets on board too the Raiders will be drafting Russell fo sho'. The means trouble in the AFC West. Two years from the playoffs? LOL...

I heard Shanny is trying to trade up because he has his eyes on Peterson. He better do what he has to do to keep our offense off of the field. Get ready Bronco fan...

The Raiders aren't trading for Vick, Shaub, Carr... we have the number one pick. Releasing Brooks just opens the door for JaMarcus Russell plus that frees up Russell's #2.

Get ready!

Mar 16, 2005
Getting Porter and Moss back is the worst thing that can happen for you guys!

All the shit started when them 2 didn't want to listen to the coaches! It trickled down to the other players and the coaches lost all control. If they didn't listen to someone like shell why the fuck would they listen to a young new coach, and deal with the struggles of a rookkie qb.

I for 1 HOPE they both come back and that the raiders DO draft Russell

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
Getting Porter and Moss back is the worst thing that can happen for you guys!

All the shit started when them 2 didn't want to listen to the coaches! It trickled down to the other players and the coaches lost all control. If they didn't listen to someone like shell why the fuck would they listen to a young new coach, and deal with the struggles of a rookkie qb.

I for 1 HOPE they both come back and that the raiders DO draft Russell
No the funk started when Art Shell kept Porter in his dog house for the whole season. Not only that, a lot of the other players were questioning the plays that they were running. Lamont Jordan, Walter's, Sapp all had something to say about Art and his coaching. When more than one player starts speaking out something is wrong. They were running an outdated offense and they had an outdated blocking scheme being run. Art was the problem. That's why he was fired at the end of one season. The players didn't support him at all.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
No the funk started when Art Shell kept Porter in his dog house for the whole season. Not only that, a lot of the other players were questioning the plays that they were running. Lamont Jordan, Walter's, Sapp all had something to say about Art and his coaching. When more than one player starts speaking out something is wrong. They were running an outdated offense and they had an outdated blocking scheme being run. Art was the problem. That's why he was fired at the end of one season. The players didn't support him at all.

why was porter in the doghouse?? He started the disruption first..he was in the dog house for a reason. And when he gets in the dog house and Moss also questions shit that leaves the door wide open for all the other veterans to speak thier mind as well. They see the 2 star wr's talk so they feel they coud talk too, all the while these distractions, coupled with shitt o-line and shitty qb play leave the team in disarray! Shell lost the team early and again I sau to you if Shell couldn't get these guys under control how is a rookie coach going to do it?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Porter was in the doghouse because he wanted to work out on his own down in Florida like he always did. Art didn't agree with it... cussed him out and kicked him out of his office.... and the Raiders ended up 2-14 with one of the worst offenses in NFL History.... way to go Art. Man you're acting like Art is some of genious or something. His old school way of coaching wasn't felt by the players. They were losing sleep... when they traveled to the East Coast (you know the time difference) Art would still have everyone meet at 7:30 in the morning. They were tired of Art and his stubborn as ways. Not only that, he refused to change his blocking scheme which resulted in the QB's taking beatings. The Raiders are happy that Art was replaced.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Porter was in the doghouse because he wanted to work out on his own down in Florida like he always did. Art didn't agree with it... cussed him out and kicked him out of his office.... and the Raiders ended up 2-14 with one of the worst offenses in NFL History.... way to go Art. Man you're acting like Art is some of genious or something. His old school way of coaching wasn't felt by the players. They were losing sleep... when they traveled to the East Coast (you know the time difference) Art would still have everyone meet at 7:30 in the morning. They were tired of Art and his stubborn as ways. Not only that, he refused to change his blocking scheme which resulted in the QB's taking beatings. The Raiders are happy that Art was replaced.

and any TEAM PLAYER VETERAN would have respected the coach! He disrepected the coach and that led to a bunch of other problems and art losing the team!

It's not rocket science to understand that. And thats funny you say I am making him out to be a genius.....I recall telling all you raider fans that he will not be the saviour yet you all tried to tell me otherwise.

You know whats funny about that situation.......the players didn't respect Art thats what it boiled down to.....just like here in Denver ASSLIE Liele tried to pull the same shit but shanny said screw you traded him, and the team respected his decision and went on.

Aug 9, 2006
vick is untradeable so kill that talk......and who the hell are they going to have mentor there young qb which everyone sees them getting....jeff garcia?....they should of kept brooks but on the bench...i dont see them getting any FA qb that is going to be better.....

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
MooreBlock530 said:
vick is untradeable so kill that talk......and who the hell are they going to have mentor there young qb which everyone sees them getting....jeff garcia?....they should of kept brooks but on the bench...i dont see them getting any FA qb that is going to be better.....
I think they had to let Brooks go to clear cap room or they would have had to pay him. And $5 million is too much to pay someone that's going to ride the bench. I am not sure about a mentor. These coaches will have their work cut out fo them though. But Russell is going to have to play ball because he's going to be getting paid. It's a team game though he'll have help.

Aug 9, 2006
i dont want poor russel to get rapped like aaroon brooks did the very first gam eof the season.....agaisnt the chargers.....like 5 or more sacks or something? that was all bad...they shoulda cut moss before they cut brooks IMO

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I hear you but don't forget... Merriman was juicin'. Also the receivers were running 30 and 40 yard routes trying to go deep all night... and Brooks didn't have any hot reads to check off too once the heat came so he was running for his life. Art/Wlash brought their playbook from the 80's.