Quick ?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 23, 2005
just wanna know what you guys think...woud u rather use a interface like the m-box or a multi-track hardware recorder..cause im about to buy one of these:chinese:

Apr 25, 2002
If you want something portable, I'd rather have a laptop and a good interface since you can always expand and do more with it later if you want. With hardware multi-trackers you're stuck with what you got.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Todays portable devices can get the job done though...Lets keep it real 98.9% of the people who are posting and doing music wouldn't benefit from having an SSl board or a NEVE.....hell as far as they gonna go in the music game they might as well just buy two old tape decks and keep dubbing track to track..
portable devices offer a stable platform and a good quality at a reasonable price.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I don't know a whole lot about hardware multracks but i've thought about them, i figure they dont have as much potential for crashes as a computer but i wonder about plug ins for them. I think Waves makes alot of stuff for the roland 2400.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
i know that there is waves card for yamaha...roland has some of them UAD effects....The studio i was going to was using the tascam mx2424's and a big desk those were cool..mackie and alesis make 1 as well...but they just bought the tascam-x-48.....its a beast....but we are talking small recorders..Im looking into getting one as well...Korg makes the d3200 pretty good except you need trifocals to read the display(actually people hook up them jewelers magnify glasses to read the display better. tascam 2488 makes a descent 1 but i like the d3200..my concern with korg is there last series the 16xd and 32xd both wrere discontinued quick cause something about the optional boards and parts were made with a material that was not environmental safe or something.....
Akai dps24 and roland 2480 are both machines that has had a good run with plenty of support and upgrades. shit 80days and 80 ways on my myspace was recorded on a old korg d8 with just a cheap alesis compressor shit you could probably get both those for under $200 including shipping on ebay

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Me personally I'd steer FAR FAR away from digital multi track recorders. I think they are overpriced and highly, highly LIMITED. They are dead weight IMO, dead technology. I'd have to see one that had a nice fat touch screen and that supported plugins and all of todays technology. But even then I'd sooner spend my dough on an Open Labs product (Neko/Miko). That's where it's at today, cat's need to get on this technology.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr. Samos said:
I can't wait to own this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Open-Labs-Gen3-NeKo-76?sku=701805

You can put everything in there. Pro Tools, all your plugins, you can clone all your workstations, your keyboards, everything. Good for when your on the road, and it's just a spectacular piece of technology.
My friend just bought one now he can put it next to his..Triton/fantomx/motifes/voyager.se1/atc/supernova/mpc4000/mv8000/asr10/mpc3000/waldorf Q/asrx/ms2000/..damn i forget what oh yeahI sp1200/e4xt/z8/s1000/proteus2000 and whatever else he has I forgot.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr. Samos said:
Me personally I'd steer FAR FAR away from digital multi track recorders. I think they are overpriced and highly, highly LIMITED. They are dead weight IMO, dead technology. I'd have to see one that had a nice fat touch screen and that supported plugins and all of todays technology. But even then I'd sooner spend my dough on an Open Labs product (Neko/Miko). That's where it's at today, cat's need to get on this technology.
You can get a 2480dvd for about $1500- $2000...with good effects cards(wich they keep adding plug ins).Stable,dont need anything else but a mic and monitors . fairly portable...Great results..i beleive the akai dps24 there is a way to run plug ins with an external computer hooked up...even that out the box sounds good. I think these are great options especially for someone who wants hassle free recording. Sure there is better equipment out there....Shit If money wasnt an option Id get the set up like the studio in this months future music mag...
they have a medium size desk with a neve8816 fader pack summing buss..looks like about 16 faders layed in the desk,and the rackmount summing buss.also has API,ssl UAand more neve racked gear.they use a mac and couple digi 192 wich syncs well with everything....This is a powerful system at a fraction of the cost of other studios..and its not big and bulky...and most important it aint no punk when it comes to sound.

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
Me personally I'd steer FAR FAR away from digital multi track recorders. I think they are overpriced and highly, highly LIMITED. They are dead weight IMO, dead technology.
This is part of the reason I said I'd just buy a laptop and good interface. For the same price (or less) you get far more for your money, and your equipment isn't limited to serving one purpose. You can continue to use a laptop for other things long after you realize making real money in music is hard to do.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Sick Wid It said:
This is part of the reason I said I'd just buy a laptop and good interface. For the same price (or less) you get far more for your money, and your equipment isn't limited to serving one purpose. You can continue to use a laptop for other things long after you realize making real money in music is hard to do.
I agree with this 100%.

50 Cal: Digital Recorders just aren't my style. I wouldn't spend 2 dollars on a digital recorder, they are just completely useless to me. To be honest with you, I wouldn't mind taking a digital recorder and, smashing it into pieces, just for fun.

Haha.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Yeah to each his own....ive been around a few of them..they cool.
yeah i just got off the phone with another partner and he just got rid of some of his equipment to get the neko...he only has like 300 more to pay on it.The other guy i know he hasnt even loaded all his plug in s yet.....

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
MALKI said:
why not just get a computer?
I already do. That's my current set up. I run everything into my audio interface and then into my computer.

I just love Open Labs I think they are a great company and are really there to devote to the musicians. It's just something I need to get, I think it's probably one of the best products on the line right now, and it's definitely the most cutting edge as far as technology goes.

Aug 23, 2005
50cal said:
Thats still pretty general......What kind of budget?....Also .yeah you wanna record vocals now,but what might you wanna do after awhile?
id say i would spend anywhere between 400-700

im doing this as a hobby

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Mr. Samos said:
I already do. That's my current set up. I run everything into my audio interface and then into my computer.

I just love Open Labs I think they are a great company and are really there to devote to the musicians. It's just something I need to get, I think it's probably one of the best products on the line right now, and it's definitely the most cutting edge as far as technology goes.
Yeah with the the synth emulator...this is worth its weight in gold...pluS i hear they gotta update with that next month i beleive for a grip of synths already emulated... If my boy picked up his today i might slide through tomorrow and see whats up with it