question for d-sane

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 14, 2003
i wanna get into makin beats so i thought ask your opinion on some shit. First off if you have time which of these schools would you go to Musictech.com, or IPRschool.com if you could check those sites out i want your opinion on the best one, and what equip should i buy to start out.

May 17, 2002
when it comes to gear you should do your own research, what works for someone else might not work for you. and i wouldnt invest any real money into gear until you have completed school, get the knowledge first.

just my .02

May 17, 2002
well if you want something to practice on then i would suggest getting something like fruityloops or reason to just learn some basic fundamentals and i would start to learn programs like cubase or sonar. but dont get fruityloops and be fooled to thinking that you can actually make it with that program cuz you cant, use it as a learning tool and nothing more. it will help you if you use it for the right reasons.

Nov 25, 2002
Re: Hehehe...

Fridge said:
I've heard some tight beats made off of fruity loops, the key is to import your own sounds and shit... never use the stock sounds - NEVER!!!
real talk...theres people slangin fruity loop sequenced beats to rappers and they dont even know it......if you take the time ta master FL and use your own sounds it is just as good as any other producers equipment.....

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
I'm sorry folks......but I am extremely anti-beat makin' software. Maybe it's just because I'm from the old school when it comes to makin' beats and believe that nothin' is better than actual hardware......but......OK that's exactly why. lol

I sequence and do sampling on my PC.....but I gotta have my keyboards and sound modules. Fuck that!

BUT......if you're just startin' out or fuckin' around.....it can't be a bad place to start so that you can learn the basics of beat sequencing.

Nov 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:
I'm sorry folks......but I am extremely anti-beat makin' software. Maybe it's just because I'm from the old school when it comes to makin' beats and believe that nothin' is better than actual hardware......but......OK that's exactly why. lol

I sequence and do sampling on my PC.....but I gotta have my keyboards and sound modules. Fuck that!

BUT......if you're just startin' out or fuckin' around.....it can't be a bad place to start so that you can learn the basics of beat sequencing.
I agree with you D...if you were ta just use the sounds within fruity then its not the same....but im talkin about using soundmodules and boards as well and makin your own sound samples to put in fruity....or to use MIDI OUT to play sequences on a board or module.....all that is using fruity to sequence not to actually make the beat.....there is better software but for a beginner FL can make a great learning tool......

Aug 31, 2002
buy a hardware(keyboards/modules like d-sane was sayin). school is cool for like audio engineering(protools). but making beats, you don't need school. beats are emotion that you put in to the beat, thats why peeps feel the beat- if its tight.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
Sonny Bonoho said:
buy a hardware(keyboards/modules like d-sane was sayin). school is cool for like audio engineering(protools). but making beats, you don't need school. beats are emotion that you put in to the beat, thats why peeps feel the beat- if its tight.
if someone doesn't know what makes up a beat specifically then they can't even begin to make a beat... most people know that beats are made up of atleast three instruments... a kick, a snare, and a hi hat... that's pretty much common knowledge to anybody who listens to hip hop, but that doesn't mean they know about beat dynamics. there's much more going on behind the scenes that most cats starting out won't be able to figure out and if a class on MIDI helps them then I'm all for it... i don't care if you're the most creative person in the world, if you can't translate your emotion into a good sounding beat then it's garbage regardless... some thoughts.

Apr 26, 2002
Check out some local Community colleges for some MIDI and Digital Audio Classes. It's much cheaper than divin' right into a full on school, Especially when your not even sure where youwant to go with it.