question about scratching

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i'm not trying to go all the way and become a DJ but i'd like to incorporate real scratching into my bag of tricks, I know I need a turntable but do i need a DJ mixer? What exactly do I need?

Apr 25, 2002
You don't need a mixer but you need to amp the turntable output with something and you can use one of those 'scratch boxes' or whatever they're called. Basically just a small cheap box with a button on it for audio on/off.

Dec 9, 2005
If you want scratching like...DJ Q-Bert, or DJ Revolution all you'd need is ONE good table, ie a 1200, a mixer, but you'd probably want to get something that has a fader that has either an adjustable curver, or at least a really short one.

If scratching is all you wanna do...I'd honestly get a QFO...I know you can find 'em for pretty cheap now.

Dec 9, 2005
Yeah its dope, but now that I think about it, you can get a used 1200 for dirt cheap, and a good mixer for just as cheap, probably both for under $400...

Mar 9, 2006
just get a used 1200....... and a mixer i would prefer is a Vestex 05/ 07 or 06 ....... i dont know what the prices are today but u should be able to get 2 turntables and a mixer cheap....... i remember buying my first 1200s for $500each back in 98..

and just hook up your mixer to any amp/ stereo.... and u should b set

start off with tha basics , crabs etc. and then once you get the basics try going for the more advanced stuff like "flares, orbits, etc. "

watch some turntablist vids on youtube

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
ive had some friends that were DJs and they tried to teach me how to mix and that shit ain't as easy as it seems thats for sure. They gave me some scratching basics and i caught on to it alot faster, looks like something i can really get into with a little practice

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
start off with tha basics , crabs etc. and then once you get the basics try going for the more advanced stuff like "flares, orbits, etc. "
Actually I would consider a crab scratch more of an advanced step as well.

chirps, stabs and just basic rhythm would be the place to start.

And yeah get a mixer. If yer not looking to be a super turntablist but just do simple scratches in your song then really ANY mixer will do

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
well i figure i gotta start somewhere, i don't expect to be a scratch god at first. I'm just bored of the way i'm making beats and shit. seems like its the same shit over and over. working in the box of a software program has limitations no matter what people say. I think throwing some scratching into my stuff would be pretty cool especially if i got half decent at the art of scratching. I've got the new gear bug and actually have a little cash to do something about it so i'm throwing ideas around in my head on what i want to do.

I like that UFO thing, seems like a good all in one solution for what i'm trying to do, seems like a good start. At first i'm only gonna want this stuff for sampling and to build scratching skills up. Couldnt find them on Ebay or any of the popular gear sites though

Jul 25, 2007
dont get that QFO. Its a waste of money. Your better off gettin a used Technic 1200 or even better a used Vestax PDX2000,a used Vestax 06 and Vestax PCV fader for the 06 mixer. go with the M-447 needle. for half the price of a QFO which hits for a rack (new). get some skip less battle records from dirtstyle. theres probably tons of "learn how to skratch" vids on youtube. watch Q-Berts DIY vids on there.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
what should i be looking for in a turntable and a mixer? seems like prices are all over the place. I really don't wanna spend more than like 5 bills tops. I saw a used 1200 for like 400 dollars at guitar center. eventually i'd like a nice CDJ but those fuckers are pretty expensive even for a low end one.

Jul 25, 2007
a used one for $400?! you can find a set for cheaper on ebay and thats dam near the price of a brand new one. you want a direct drive turntable since your skratching. dont even think about belt drives. if your going to buy it used make sure the Tone arm isnt all bent outta shape (where you put your needle) and parallel to the ground, make sure the torque is accurate. fuck with the pitch control. when you turn on the turntable, look at the red light that faces the platter and change the speeds. take notice on the dots on the platter and make sure they react well when you change the speeds. also when changing from 33 to 45rpm. inspect the rca cords and the ground wire.

You can find 1 1200 on craigslist or ebay for like 150-200 and a used vestax 06 for like 200 used. both pieces of equipment are good quality for skratching. the vestax 06 mixer is basically a smaller version of the PMC-05. Perfect for just strictly skratching.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
whats the difference between direct drive and belt drive? What about mixers? They range from like 100 bucks to like a thousand. I know stuff about consoles but i dont know shit about any of this DJ stuff what do i need in a DJ mixer?

BTW that Meth song is bangin, what is that from?

Jul 25, 2007
Belt Drive have a belt running between the motor and the turntable. If you try and skratch on them the needle will bounce like a motherfucker and the record will skip. you "can" skratch on belts but you gotta be super duper soft on your hands while touching the record. I remember getting use to skratching flawlessly on belt drives then when I swithed to direct drives, it felt like everything else just got easier.

Direct drives have the turntable mounted directing onto the motor. If your at guitar center try pretend skratching on belts and directs and you will notice a difference in just feel.

Dude i since your starting out id recommend this equipment.

get a Numark TT200. They are compared to the Technics 1200. They actually have a stronger torque than the 1200. The pitch control isnt as responsive as the 1200 but thats minor. Ive skratched on one of these and doubted them just because they were "Numark" but when I did I was surprised. They feel like 1200s. Best part, brand new they cost $200. You can even bargain with them at Guitar Center or they might have some Holiday sales going on right now.

Also take a look at the Numark M2 mixer. Its a simple 2 channel mixer for skratch djs. has slope adjustment for the crossfader for cut off time. It can cut in and out right away or you can adjust it for fading but u dont gotta worry about that since your cutting not mixing right? it has a 3 band eq, phone/line switchable RCA, two Lines RCA, mic, headphone inputs etc etc.

just do your research on it. dont ask the guitar center dudes. they dont know shit and will just try and sell you anything.

BTW, that meth song is called "Is It Me!" from his 421...the day after album. shit slap hard.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^ right on man, i've been looking at the numark stuff, dont they own Akai professional now? I heard they have turned a new leaf and are making more solid gear. yeat I looked at the TT200 seems like the best choice for me.

Where is a good place to get records?

Jul 25, 2007
are you in the bay or in AZ right now?

If your in the bay Id go to Berkley rasputins. Go downstairs. also Amoeba right down the street. Amoeba in Haight St. Frisco. Ultrasounz up in san bruno. street light records in san jose. local thrift shops that you can take a chance on to find some good samples to skratch or sample for beats. Try to avoid buying on ebay. I bought a crate of records (BAD DECISION) and they all ended up being warped. You can also try craigslist which is good because a lot of people are switching to the digital world, which is gay IMO, and are getting rid of there collection. Just meet up with the person and inspect it.

look for those skipless battle records which would be helpful for beginners like Dirtstyle records. Try to find them oldschool dirtstyle records. Lots of good stuff on there. If im shoppin for records and happen to run into them, id cop it right away even tho I have like 3-4 copies of them just because i burn the shit out of the groves for skratchin on them to much.

yes. akai and numark teamed up. thats why Ive noticed a change because the last time a touched a Numark product was back in 98 so I was surprised when i fucked around with there stuff today. real quality stuff compared to back then.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm in Phoenix, when i was in school i went with a dude who worked in a record store in scottsdale, it was mostly house stuff though. I havn't found any shops out here that specialze in hip hop or any underground stuff. I'll have to look into it more, I think i may really get into this because i've kinda bored myself out of making beats on my computer. i think this will open up my musical horizons a lot.

DJ_JG

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2008
Last I checked that QFO is still dumbass expensive. Its so much more affordable and better to get a turntable and a mixer. Then you're only one turntable away from a full setup. It'll also be easier to sell if you ever want to, and it'll be more valuable overall. Technics have been the industry standard forever, and a good mixer stays a good mixer. The QFO is so expensive cuz its portable and its the only turntable with faders on it so you can scratch.

I would get a 1200 and a cheap Vestax mixer. 1200s are industry standard. they're the best. They're so cheap there's no reason not to get one.

I fuck with craigslist I dont do ebay. Its good to be able to test it out before you buy it. I bought all my turntables and mixers off craigslist. Dont get it from Guitar Center. And try not to ask em for advice because they are idiots like someone already mentioned.

Here's what I found from a quick search on craigslist:
$200 - 1200 with a Shure M44-7 needle, judging from the pic (M44-7s are the most popular needles for scratch DJs)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/908615376.html
$200 - Vestax PMC 05
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/899634903.html
or http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/899643957.html

Try to get a Vestax PMC 06 tho.. if you only wanna scratch its perfect, you can even mix on it if you ever want to later. I see em all the time on craigslist for $120-150, and I got one myself for that much

Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, the 06 is basically a slimmer version of the 05. But if for whatever reason you needed a mic input on the mixer, the 06 doesn't have one.