Purchasing a Keyboard

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
alright folks im thinkin about buying a keyboard with my tax money, and ive been looking around for opinions on some good hardware. as far as keyboards are concerned ive been suggested M-Audio PRO-KEYS88 and the Yamaha Motif ES. Basicly what I'm looking for is to touch the ivorys and alot of good sounds, plus the ability to use it as a midi controller for my software and VSTs. Also with the motif es do all versions have weighted keys? Is this all overkill? I was talking to a sales rep at Full Compass and he was claiming the future is in software and all I really need is a midi keyboard controller.

Also what about a piece of hardware for drums with pads like the M-Audio trigger finger, will that be needed if I pick up one of the above mentioned pieces? Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I think 88 keys is overkill unless you a piano player and perform.Weghted keys suck ass,when trying to do certain basses and leads.Tell the guy at the guitar center....Anyways...vsts are not bad,but how is your computer?..if it goes down,can you have it fixed or do you not mind not being able to play music until you can get it fixed? The hardware plus is its stability,being able to tweak hands on etc,plus depending on what you get ..great sounds.I would highly recommend a motif Es,or FantomX.If you are new to making beats and arent sure if you will like it,buy a 100 used synth and play with some cheap software.If you are sure you really wanna make some beats get a keyboard such as a fantomx...great controller,great sounds. descent sequencer,and much more.At that point you can hook it up to your computer and fuck with software...if your computer goes down at least you can still make beats.

Dec 9, 2005
M - O - T - I - F - ES 61

Its got the biggest learning curve of the 'Big 3'...but I haven't heard a lot of negative about this board...its a beast ! Matter of fact...listen to David Banner's 'Westside' song...that thing was made ENTIRELY on The Motif.