Producer Question...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 11, 2005
Producer/Beatmaker, some of you guys get offended bein called one or the other so theres both for ya.....anyway i was wondering how Beatmakers get far into the bizness??? Is it like skateboarding where you give em samples of what you can do then send it in to a group you wanna be affiliated with then they sign you up?? or is it just necessarily who you roll with?? I know mostly everybody rides solo, but i was just wondering if producers can do the same thing as a rapper....like send in a demo to a camp and see if they wanna fuck with you...if its confusing then my bad, but for those that get it then bare with me...

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
yea its like a production team. Master P used to have beats by the pound, mob figaz always fucks with rob lo, mistah fab fucks with sean t a lot. but their not limited to them only.

Apr 25, 2002
The music business is highly political and a lot of what happens is based on who you know. The only way to have a chance at making it anywhere is to stay dedicated and consistent. Don't expect people to do you any favors. Nobody owes you 2 seconds of their time to listen to your demos. Be humble, appreciative, and willing to EARN the chance. It's a cold game man. If you read the history of a lot of the big names you'll find out how much you have to fight for it.

May 1, 2003
Sick Wid It said:
The music business is highly political and a lot of what happens is based on who you know. The only way to have a chance at making it anywhere is to stay dedicated and consistent. Don't expect people to do you any favors. Nobody owes you 2 seconds of their time to listen to your demos. Be humble, appreciative, and willing to EARN the chance. It's a cold game man. If you read the history of a lot of the big names you'll find out how much you have to fight for it.
Tell us about your journey in this game.

May 1, 2003
supavillain said:
Producer/Beatmaker, some of you guys get offended bein called one or the other so theres both for ya.....anyway i was wondering how Beatmakers get far into the bizness??? Is it like skateboarding where you give em samples of what you can do then send it in to a group you wanna be affiliated with then they sign you up?? or is it just necessarily who you roll with?? I know mostly everybody rides solo, but i was just wondering if producers can do the same thing as a rapper....like send in a demo to a camp and see if they wanna fuck with you...if its confusing then my bad, but for those that get it then bare with me...
Exactly what Sick said. Gotta Push it...you're going to get what you put into it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
yeah you can't never quit, no matter what. Like I'll finish a beat even if i think the shit sucks just to complete the thing. I do my best to talk to as many people as i can cuz you never know who they know and what not. smae goes for any kind of independant business. you gotta keep pushin or your gonna get ate up

May 1, 2003
I stopped this whole year. and now my mind is full of "What if's" The good thing is I became a fan again and was able to listen.

Dec 9, 2005
Sick Wid It said:

So would you say that getting into the business, would take more dedication and drive, than talent...? ( Obviously, a little of both...but would you say that dedication can take you further than talent alone...? )

Sep 11, 2005
damn thats wasup with all the replys, good lookin out to everybody that responded....i know everybody trys to say they got theyre own style but honestly when you guys make beats who comes into your head?? like when i try makin music i try being myself but always end up wanting to have the same hi hat sound that camrons "gotta love it" has.....or when i make a kick i alway wanna use some jdilla type of kick you know?? who do you guys try to relate your beats to??

Apr 25, 2002
MOREBASS said:
So would you say that getting into the business, would take more dedication and drive, than talent...? ( Obviously, a little of both...but would you say that dedication can take you further than talent alone...? )
Yup, without a doubt. I know amazing musicians and producers who could go a long way but they don't have the drive, and know people who arn't as talented but have nice careers simply because they do.

It's important to acknowledge what you said about having both. A talentless lame with all the drive in the world isn't going anywhere. Remember, music and the music business can both be studied. If you're serious about being in it, you gotta do your homework!

Dec 1, 2003
Sick Wid It said:
Yup, without a doubt. I know amazing musicians and producers who could go a long way but they don't have the drive, and know people who arn't as talented but have nice careers simply because they do.

It's important to acknowledge what you said about having both. A talentless lame with all the drive in the world isn't going anywhere. Remember, music and the music business can both be studied. If you're serious about being in it, you gotta do your homework!
I AGREE

Apr 26, 2006
I would like to add a few questions:

1. Should you get your beats mastered first before going out and showing people? I don't necessarily mean mastered by means of getting it ready for CD production because you need the vocals in there as well to complete the track, but just for an overall enhancement and polish of your beats. For example, should you take your tracks to a decent studio and hear them on high quality monitors, then try to enhance them? Other wise if you just hit export to .wav and slap your beats on a CD without any decent attempt to enhance your $hit, don't you think it would all might sound a bit thin or weak especially if your only a bedroom producer and making your beats on some basic desktop Logitech speakers or something. To sum it all up simple, does the sound quality of your beats play a factor when presenting your beats?

2. When going about creating a portfolio for your beats, do you think it's wise to stick to one genre or sub-genre? For example, I personally like to make beats ranging from different styles, from WestCoast G-Funk $hit, Bay Area Mobb $hit, underground EastCoast lo-fi sounding grimey $hit, to RnB. When going about beats I usually don't think about the genre I'm going for either, I just hit the keys and whatever happens to come up, I go with the flow. Whatever sounds good at that moment and whatever vibe I'm feelin, I make. But anyways, do you guys think you should just stick to one genre/sub-genre or what? I'm thinking too many styles might complicate things, yet it might probably help since it shows you have the ability to create other styles.

I guess this is where Supavillain is trying to get at in his last post. Should you try to create your own signiture sound, your own indentity?

Apr 25, 2002
BOOBOO619 said:
To sum it all up simple, does the sound quality of your beats play a factor when presenting your beats?
Yes, your beats should sound as good as possible. I don't recommend having them mastered but I do recommend making sure you have a nice solid mix. The more flaws in your beats, the more chances you're giving someone to say no.

2. When going about creating a portfolio for your beats, do you think it's wise to stick to one genre or sub-genre?
Show off your talent. If you are good at doing several different kinds of beats, don't hide it! I recommend including all genres of music you're good at in your library. Also, you can never have enough. Do as many beats as possible. It says a lot about you when you can pull out say 10 discs each full with a different genre and the music is bangin. Always keep your music fresh.

Should you try to create your own signiture sound, your own indentity?
Yes, being a copy-cat greatly limits how far you can go. You will never make a better Dre beat then Dre, a better Timbaland beat then Timbaland, etc. What sets all the biggest producers apart? Their sound and they get paid top dollar for it. Copy-cats don't.

Apr 26, 2006
Cool cool, good looking out.

As far as trying to create your own signiture sound or being yourself, how about using certain sounds that help define a genre or sub-genre. For example, everyone is big on using that Saw-tooth lead sound right now, are they biting on eachother? I think so and I don't like it, but ain't it what most people want right now, it's in high demand, the club sound. Same thing can be said about that WestCoast Gangsta whine, chords and what not. I guess everyone does kind of bite off one another in some way shape or form, other wise rap wouldn't be rap, it would all sound different.

Do you think we should strive to invent some new type of sound or something that stands out in the beats and keep using it in all your beats so it helps define YOUR sound? Like the same snare hit, kick or same lead, etc....

It just seems like everyone in the game these days is just trying to come up with the most loudest, noisiest beat. :confused: Kind of like techno music, where the drum kick keeps getting louder and louder and more distorted over time. That's where "Hard"Trance evolved, "Hard" House instead of just House,etc... lol I see hiphop going in the same direction, unfortunatley. It just doesn't sound like "music" anymore. :(

May 1, 2003
^^ Just do you...it may not seem like it but your own style will develop over time. Which some people will like...others will not. That's why it helps to be versatile and come with what people are used to hearing. It's hard work trying to re-invent the wheel, so just add your own polish to the rims and spokes to make it stand out from the rest.