Police investigate scuffle involving Spurs' Daniels

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
SAN ANTONIO -- Police are investigating a scuffle involving Spurs guard Antonio Daniels at the end of a summer league basketball game in San Antonio.

Adara Davis, 23, a junior college student in San Antonio, told police he and Daniels traded barbs during Sunday's game and the exchange led to a scuffle. According to a police report, Davis had a 5-inch scratch across his neck.

No charges had been filed by late Monday afternoon.

Daniels, 27, declined to talk about the incident on Sunday. However, at the urging of Spurs management he spoke briefly before television cameras Monday afternoon at the Alamodome.

"I would not do anything to jeopardize my situation, my name, this organization," Daniels said. "You guys know who I am. You see me at my worst and you see me at my best, so you guys know the way I am. I try to embody all of what this organization represents, and I will continue to do that. I'm the guy I've always been. I'm the same guy you always see laughing. Same guy you always see joking around. Same bubbly personality. And that won't change."

Daniels said it was "an unfortunate situation" and declined to comment on the incident, saying the details are "irrelevant," the San Antonio Express-News reported in its Tuesday editions.

Davis also declined to talk about the encounter.

According to the police report, he told the officer that he rolled a basketball toward Daniels, who then picked it up and threw it back at him, hitting him in the back of the hip. The report said Davis spun around, threw his hands in the air and said, "What?"

Davis told police that Daniels walked toward him "in an aggressive manner," and wrapped his hands around his neck. Players from both teams rushed in and the two fell to the floor before being pulled apart from each other, according to the police report.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich suggested Sunday that the attention given what he called an altercation typical of pickup play was a direct consequence of Daniels' celebrity. Spurs assistant general manager R.C. Buford agreed.

"Incidents like this happen all the time," Buford said Monday. "If it wasn't Antonio Daniels, it probably wouldn't be blown out of proportion."

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.