Playa Fly interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 14, 2003
Whats been goin on with you Playa Fly?

Hangin Lo, Chiefin High

The Rumor out was that you had a incarceration problem awhile ago. Speak on that?

Nah, that was mistaken, I didnt have an incarceration problem, Ya know? I have been incarcerated, dont get me wrong, but i didnt have an incarceration problem.

What was the reason why you were away from the music scene for so long? There was a large gap of time from when Fly2k was out, until how. Why was that?

Well, as you know, Playa Fly has never been the artist to releaes multiple albums during the year or over a short period time. I never been the Master P type, Ya know? Like back when P was hot and releasin albums like crazy, there was alot of groups that came out just releasing albums back to back and I just dont do that, I feel that the music I make usually last for a long period and I hope it last until the end of time. With that being said, I never really been big on on multiple releases, I try to make longevity music. Relaity music, Ya Know? Not that here for the moment music. I feel like thats the reason why they relase so many albums back to back. Because they just make music for the minute and not for the whole 24hrs-365 days. Ya feel me? When I write, I write to bump and take the pain out. So not only can I release, you can release, she can release, yall can release on life. This aint that just for now, get buck in the club shit.

For your old and new fans that havent been exposed to you yet, will you take it up a notch for them?

Yea, I have to. GOD has taken me up another notch every year, he has exposed me to more wisdom and knowledge. Experiences good and bad.
Some I think are better than others. Some I think are worse than others, Ya Know? I learn, Im never to old to learn. So I have to take it up 10 notches. Hell ahh 100,000 notches. They aint ready for the wattage im goin to put out.

As far as your label situation, are you still with Super Sigg Records?

No, im not. I am the proud owner of my own label, MINNIE MAE MUZIK. Its named after my gradnmother, Mrs. Minnie Mae. Its not minute maid, like the fruit juice or minute made, like made in a minute. Its nothing like that, its Minnie Mae Muzik. Minnie Mae Mafia all day.

Do you have anything at the table with any majors right now?

Everybody interesed, they been interested. I've turned down money that these niggaz gettin today on these deals. Back in 98 when "nobody" first dropped. Because I was always like ... I rather be independent and do my thing like that. Because I like that right now money. I dont wanna be worked like a slave and then get a dime out of a dollar. I rather get out here and struggle and strive for mine and take the 4oz or the z steak. Which ever one comes to my plate.

Do you have any new projects in the works and what about artist on your label?

The first album to be released on the label is goin to be my new album "Mafia All Day". Thats the album were workin on now and its just about finished. The artist on the label are Buck Wild, Minnie Mae Mafia, the group, Thaisik, and Stone Kold. All of these artist will be releasing projects through Minnie Mae Muzik if its gods will, we gonna turn it out.

Whats the releae day on that album?

Sometime during the month of may or middle summer.

What made you go independant, with all the success of your other album releases on the other label?

Its like, I scanned a lot of units, and sold a lot of units, and ive been independent my whole career. I like that money. Im the kat that wants the fortune, not the fame, Ya know? Im not big on that performing at the super bowl type stuff. As long as at the end of the day, I can sell records and make great music, I feel I can do it independantly. Because I know how to sell and make great music. Ive been looking over the scene and selling records the last 8-10 years. I would like to have the whole picture to myself and maybe when we sell so many units independently, maybe a major might become interested and want to pick the phone up and explore us a little harder. If they dont, I'll just keep on beatin up these streets until blood come out these joints. Also sell every record that I can, whether its out the trunk or off the shelf. It doesnt make me a difference.

We havent had the chance to hear you on alot of new music lately, until the gangsta boo collaboration. How did that come about?

I know everybody know my history with her and her associates, or former associates or whatever and me. Its like everything I said in the past is me 150%. Ya Know? When i came home, I bumped heads with her, and one thing led to another. We had a little freestyle session in the studio for a mixtape, and she did the remix with Bun B and ask me to jump on that joint. So I did it. It wasnt a big deal. Just making Music. Its Mafia all day. Crazy Lady Entertainment, its cool, She's a cool person when she wants to be.

Will there be any collaborations with you and Triple Six Mafia? And have yall had the chance to mend yall differences?

Well you know its like this, Ive always been a kat that call a spade a spade, when I see it. If i said something, I meant it, but i havent seen those kats in awhile. I wouldnt mind bumpin off of one or two of Paul's beats. I can say that for the record. But as far as me knocking on there door to get a feature on there album, that aint gonna happen or them knocking on my door for a feature on my album. That wont happen. I can see me and Paul bumpin heads in public somewhere and just kick it, and one thing leads to another, I think some positive shit like that will happen by the grace of GOD.

Are there any major artist you want to work with or have featured on your album?

Nah, im really not big on the feature thing. Because when the record is successful, I dont want anybody to say that if it wasnt for that person, then that record wouldnt have been successful. Other than that, I would like to work with Troy.

In your absence, there was a rumor about an album called Jericho, with you and Pastor Troy, is that true?

This album was supposed to come to pass before my absence, but druing my absence Troy started to do his thing with Universal. Since I came home, Ive been trying to do my own thing. So im quite sure that its still gonna take place. Im not gonna be the one that gonna say it wont. I will be the one to say im gonna do everything in my power to make it happen. Im quite sure Troy is willing to make it happen, its just right now were doing our thing, we both have different obligations to attend to, but as soon as the smoke clears, the walls will be breakin down for Jericho.

What do you think of the memphis scene, the whole Southern scene now, and the new young artist coming out? Being that your one of the pioneers of the whole Memphis scene that laid the ground work for the ATL crunk music.

There gonna need all the help they can get, because im not playing, im very serious, i wasnt as serious then, as i am now, know what im saying? Because im having birthdays, I aint gettin no younger. With that being said, everything I do will be great and aint nobody fuckin with me on this.

Do You see yourself fitting in with this whole crunk era?

Im goin to keep it me. Fly got buck in the past, Fly has spoken and taught. He has delivered the message. ya know? Fly is an all around playa. Im gonna keep it pure, uncut, and raw. I will get a nigga buck. At the same time, show some love and keep it real. You know what time it is.

May 6, 2002
Good lookin' out with the Fly post and the whole Southern Siccness forum....anyone know the deal with fly and gangsta blac though? Ain't heard them together in awhile... lemme know...