Photoshop question for the pro's in here..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 21, 2007
I have a question, im fairly new to this so forgive me if i sound naive and the answer is in front of me,

but.. lets say i draw a circle and scan it into my computer..

If i wanted to use the wand tool to select on the inside of the circle only, i cant.. it selects the whole image...

Would i have to save it in a certain format to add dimension to my image so i can select certain parts of it instead of the whole thing?

Jan 5, 2006
thats because its an image of the circle, you'd have to make the center of it transparent meaning the gray/white checkered background means its transparent. Id use the eraser for this.. and make the circle almost as big as the inside diameter and erase.

Nov 21, 2007
right on.. i have some drawings i wanted to add color to but if i have to go in and erase the inner parts then it would be too time consuming. I was looking to see if there was a faster way, thanks!!!!

Evil Jesus

Its All Evil Jesus!
May 22, 2006
you could use the inverse tool.. use the icon on the left side of the tool bar that has a box with a circle in it with an arrow commin out. it should turn the whole image red. then use the pen tool with whatever pixel size and erase whatever area your tryin to erase. then click that inverse tool again and it should remove the red and select whatever you drew in with the pen tool. then just hit delete. follow me?

emma

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2006
I have a question, im fairly new to this so forgive me if i sound naive and the answer is in front of me,

but.. lets say i draw a circle and scan it into my computer..

If i wanted to use the wand tool to select on the inside of the circle only, i cant.. it selects the whole image...

Would i have to save it in a certain format to add dimension to my image so i can select certain parts of it instead of the whole thing?
That's weird; I have no problem selecting the inside of the circle with the magic wand tool, using the exact gif you posted..

right on.. i have some drawings i wanted to add color to but if i have to go in and erase the inner parts then it would be too time consuming. I was looking to see if there was a faster way, thanks!!!!
If all you want to do is add color to pencil/black& white drawings, once you scan the drawing just make a new layer about it & set the blending mode to multiply, and just color over it with the paintbrush tool..

or for something simple like the circle you could just paint bucket on the inside of the circle.. you don't even need to select anything..

(but it is better not to work on only one layer..)

emma

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2006
also, instead of just drawing a circle and scanning it, if you want a circle… why not just use the shape tool in photoshop?

or the elliptical marquee tool? and then paint bucket inside the selection..

Toro

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hmmm, show us a complete screen shot of your work space, I don't know how but it may be your layer settings or something else, or it could be the way you scanned it in.

Nov 21, 2007
thanks for the info yall. Im going to try these,

@Emma, I used the circle as an example, i have books and books of artwork i want to color in but was wondering if there was a way to save it so i could just select certain sections.

@Tosin: I saved this screen shot as a gif to save space, but if i scan my pictures in i save them as either jpeg or bitmap.