OT(I think) :How important is lyrical content

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 12, 2006
lyrical content is really important to me.....

and how one delivers the lyrics is equally crucial.

i define lyricism as a combination of things. its not just punch lines, its not just multis, its not just structure, and alternating rhymes, its about all of it coming together and adding in a personal touch and style on top of it.

adding alliteration with multis like

"your frickin family will FALL FLAT
black an blue wit a base BALL BAT"

thats lyricism.

and obviously there are millions of better examples i could of used, but i mean, thats just unique in its own right, and being unique is really critical in a time of all the skat & snug cookie cutter bullshit

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
i feel that lyricism is exactly like shiro explained, but i dont think that its that important.

a bad beat can ruin a song with great lyricism(everybody knows a tech song that they skip cuz of the beat), and a rappers delivery also makes a HUGE impact on how good a song is, with or without good lyricism (ex. every young jeezy song)

Mar 12, 2006
Again, Shiro has a great definition, if I had to pick anything, #1 is def. multies than I love some sick wordplay/metaphors. I feel sometimes I listen for multies too hard, but I have just been spoiled by Tech and some old Eminem or now The Saurus.

Some examples off my head:

"Get with the program hoes, you couldnt rock with both hands closed, playing roe sham bow" - The Saurus

"You slithering snake, gibbering fake, fibbering flake
I'll twist you into a different shape
And toss you in Michigan Lake, for fisherman sake
If this is a dream you'd wish you can wake
Every dis you can take" Eminem (old school Infinite album)

"I wanna put on my Reeboks and get on top of his esophagus and watch The apocalypse drop'em in Necropolis Never was monogamous doggin' us ya bothering all of us Gotta cut loose from those who exodus sodomus" Tech

May 31, 2007
Shiro... Like everyone else said, explained it pretty much perfectly... But sometimes a beat can make a song pretty dman good.. I mean I bet we all got at least one song by an artist like Keak Da Sneak where your not even sure if they are saying words, but your like damn man that beat slaps... My example will be Keak Da Sneak - Go Dumb, Go Stupid... The robotic hook with the beat... I can slap that shit in the car all day long.

How important is lyrical content to me? I dont really know how to answer this one because theres a mixture of things that goes into the song. Production and lyrics and all that. I also bet theres tracks we got that have decent lyrics, and the beat tops it off. But sometimes the lyrics will catch your attention adn make you listen to the whole song.. Examples The Cool Kids - Chicago Zoo ... The wordplay they use (in my opinion) is awesome. They use words we use everyday like how pigs are cops and tricks are snakes, and they create a world of just animals.. Then theres Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil and Apathy -What Goes Up ... They both are story telling, and the story gets you into the track and makes you actually LISTEN to the story as if someone was reading a book to you. By the end of it your like "Damn"

Nov 7, 2006
it is very rare that i listen to music for there production, i mean true production can make a song even better but if the lyrics are there then i'm listening regardless.

Yang

Sicc OG
May 2, 2004
if the lyrics are there then i'm listening regardless.
That is crazy talk. So many super lyrical, hall of fame worthy MC's have put out songs & albums that have ranged from forgettable to downright unlistenable due to shitty production values. Subjecting yourself to bad beats because the man with the mic just happens to be a poet doesn't seem like the enjoyable pursuit that music should be.

May 20, 2006
Lyrical content doesn't mean shit if you're trying to SELL albums. The only people that care about lyrical content are CRITICS. If you wanna SELL albums, you gotta reach the people, not preach too the people....... Case in point; "SoulJa Boy Tell'em", "Hurricane Chris", "Lil Jon", "Mike Jones", "Ying Yang", too many more 2 list.............

Oct 20, 2008
lyrical content is real important to me, I can't get into stuff that has shitty lyrics. Shiro layed it out, it is how everything is pulled together added with a certain flavor. Delivery is a big factor also. You can have crazy content and it can be ruined by some mono tone rapper.

Oct 11, 2008
www.nastynullities.com
I agree with Shiro, he said it pretty good.

To me, the lyrics must have some sort of meaning, not just a collection of punchlines (with rare exceptions). The artist much be able to write in and rhyme while being able to express a clear idea / emotion at the same time.

However, if the lyrics are great but the beat is lame, then I will most likely skip over that song.

The same thing goes for the rapper's voice. A song could have a hot beat, awesome lyrics, but if the rapper has an effortless, emotionless, or annoying voice then I skip the song. For Example, 3 A.M. I love the beat, like the lyrics...just hate the voice....skip...

So yes lyrical content is very important to me, but lyrics are merely a small component of a bigger functioning machine.

Jan 16, 2007
To me RAP is a definition of two things.....and also stands for two things

rhythm and poetry........seeing as how lyrics and poetry are the same thing its very important to me.....

i also wanna hear songs that have something to say

BEAR

Sicc OG
Dec 15, 2007
Delivery = 99% to me.
I always think of it as a joke. Anything Dave Chappelle says is hilarious to me but the same jokes from Carlos Mencia would be unbearable.