OT cd on the way out in 2012

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 19, 2008
Like 8-Tracks, cassettes and the vinyls that came before it, the compact disc will be meeting its end sooner than you think.

According to a new report, major labels are preparing to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (if not earlier) as streaming/downloaded music has rapidly taken over the market. The idea is to make new releases available only in digital form, with CDs being released in only special, limited edition cases. We're hearing the distribution model for these remaining CD releases would probably be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

But really, who didn't see this coming? Who doesn't have an iPod or the capability to hook one up to speakers, their car and otherwise. This is just getting with the times! And more so, this is a good thing for the environment. No one really buys CDs anymore, so think of all the money and resources we'd be saving.

Stepping into the 21st century. Wonder when movies will be doing the same?

well i guess we can say good bye to cds

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
I don't think anyone is oblivious to the fact that (unfortunately) this is where things have been heading for a while. I myself prefer to be able to hold the album in my hand if I spend money on it, not buy a bunch of ones and zeros that are stored on my hard drive. Though I guess one could argue that you're buying a bunch of ones and zeroes on a CD, but... anyway.

There actually are still quite a bit of people that buy CDs. The few times I have paid attention to the digital percentage of sales, I don't think any of the albums have been over 65% digital. Granted, that's more than half for some albums... but 45% of 50,000 is still a considerable number of people still going out to the store and such.

There is already an issue with piracy, and I could see the discontinuing of physical media only compounding the problem. I could see some who do go out and buy the physical version of an album "driven" to piracy by no longer having that option. I think it would be a lot easier for someone to justify themselves freely downloading an album instead of paying through iTunes or other source for a digital copy (especially if it's hindered by any kind of DRM).

I find it hard to picture myself going to iTunes or Amazon to buy an album, even if it's the only option. Two things they would definitely need to "correct" for me to really consider it would be the fact that buying a CD gives you "lossless quality" while most outlets for digital music offer lossy versions. Secondly, currently we get "eye candy" with CDs in the form of the artwork. Some releases have been released with PDFs of the booklets on iTunes, or there's the "iTunes Plus" I think it is which offers such material in a different manner.

I think one of the bigger issues this raises, that isn't necessarily directly related... is all of these internet companies starting to impose caps. With media moving toward a digital outlet more and more as the days go by, and technologies allowing a more rich browsing experience, it's a shame that they're wanting to restrict how much you can now use the internet (without paying out of your ass).

May 7, 2008
wtf lol ^

this is terrible news.. i dont feel like purchasing mp3s is a good investment and ive never done it.. id rather throw money in a bin then purchase mp3s off the internet lol ive bought mixtapes on cdrs and promo discs with 1 or 2 tracks on on it..but never a mp3 or a bunch of mp3s..

am i the only one who enjoys spending money and recieving something psychical ?

May 7, 2008
^ yep

i dont give a fuck ill pirate every single mp3 if they go digital same with every other company..they can all ride the digital train if they want but it just means "free" train for me.

Im all for them upgrading to another psychical product but i have no idea what theyd jump up to next being that sound quality is pretty much at its high point on a disc usually. 64 BIT Audio with 5.1 sound or sumshit ?? bring it on lol

May 7, 2008
yea took me a while to see digital games as an actual purchases but most games i buy require something forever so that i can continue to play it online..so in a way i feel i did buy something..

but i doubt ill ever feel mp3 is worthy.