opinion on rap music........

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2003
Wut do you think? Is the music industry as a whole falling off or just rap and hip hop? and if you could change one thing about the rap game what would it be?
It fell off in some areas not as a whole. Rap will never die though it will just repeat itself thats it. So thats why artists need to step up and change the whole direction and content for this era.

IMO
The thing that needs to be changed is todays main gimmick and topic and thats the drug dealer/Ballin lifestyle. The reason I say that is bc theres alot of young peers out there that feel like they have to portray that certain image so they do whatever it takes to fit the mode and we losing alot of young individuals over bullshit phases bc they amused about living the fast life making fast money.

The reality rappers(for example Little Brother, Kweli, Jean Gray) dont seem to be getting the proper recognition they truely deserve.

Most artist(weak or quality) need to wake the fuck up and understand that when they talk on these tracks and interviews theres is always gonna be someone listening and inspired on what they say.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Rap music has only fallen off as far as the major labels are concerned. The independent scene is still strong and a lot of solid albums have dropped this year. One thing that has bothered me is when underground cats sign to a major label and have to water down thier sound for the masses. I would like to see more people take a stand and stay independent and not cater to the majors.

It also seems a lot of the industry are nothing but yes-men. For instance, it seems a lot of rappers kiss 50 Cents ass and are afraid to speak thier minds on him because of the power he does hold in the industry. I liked how on Westside Connections last CD that Cube made some comments about 50 and Eminem that were true and that other people have thought of but were afraid to speak out on. There is a difference between dissing for the sake of record saales and making a poignant remark about someone that is true. Rappers will also drop a subliminal on a record instead of saying the persons name straight out. I remember back in the day 90-91, hip hop was about being real. If you put an r&b singer on the hook of one of your songs to cross over you would be called out for that. If you sold out to major corporations you would also be called out. If you sounded like someone else or copied someones lyrics you would be dissed. Nowadays it is a me-first attitude and it is all about the money.

The recent things that have happened on The Siccness, ie., The C-Lim thing and TJ calling out every wack rapper that posts on here have given me hope into the future of the game. Are we as fans gonna make a stand against wack cookie cutter music? I always liked the bay area rap game because it was all about the independent scene and people were making the records that they wanted to make. We need to stop supporting the wanna-be Mac Dre's, E-40's, and so on and support creative artists that deserve to be heard...

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

IMO
The thing that needs to be changed is todays main gimmick and topic and thats the drug dealer/Ballin lifestyle. The reason I say that is bc theres alot of young peers out there that feel like they have to portray that certain image so they do whatever it takes to fit the mode and we losing alot of young individuals over bullshit phases bc they amused about living the fast life making fast money.
I agree, there are too many gangstas trying to rap and too many rappers trying to be G's. People need to stay true to what they know and stop perpetrating.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

One more thing I just thought of:

There are too many producers that have no musical talent. Just because you know hot to use a computer program does not make you a producer. I would like to see more producers that know how to play several instruments and have a true ear for making music. More Khayrees, Dj Quik's, etc, less frooty loops producers...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
It is also true that the industry as a whole is fucked up and this affects rap...

if you compare the pop-music of the 80s to the pop-music of the 00s, there is a very noticeable difference in the quality...

not that I listen to either, but these are easy to make observations

Aug 17, 2006
No only the mainstream is dead.Underground is live and well.People just need to open there ears.
yeah mainstream is garbage, but indies can't stay afloat when fans aren't buying enough units to profit from a record. its not the consumers fault cause they've been gettin burnt for years by these fruity loop labels that sale burnt cds in front of every am/pm or 7-11. concious rappers like KRS1 & Common do good numbers but they've been around long enough to have a loyal fan base. do you buy new artists projects & if so what is a determining factor in your decision to purchase it. what advertising schemes do you think work on you?
I appreciate all the responses I feel the same way as you guys do... but I wanted confirmation.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Technology, black ballin of hip hop or black music in general from major Networks., MTV/BET is not major when comparing them to ABC, NBC. Fans are way too spoiled now a day, they want everything for free. The FCC is on labels asses’ way too hard and really the economy is low overall.

Dec 25, 2003
Already been discussed many many many times!!!

All I can say particularly for the up-coming artists is:

Build your fundumentals so you can know when youre prepared to take off
Network with the right people at various fields & angles
Do your research & keep learning about the industry & business aspects
Learn, observe, & practice more various instruments to construct your music production & sound
Create & incorporate your own concepts & ideas
Make yourself more distinct apart from others
Keep investing your money for your next projects and other serious purposes
Be about your music as your no. 1 priority
Build your fanbase by communicating with them
Build relationships with other clients
Then again; Inspiration is everywhere in all angles & corners......
Good night!!

Dec 4, 2006
blame it on the big music recording industry for making it the way it is now a days..

back in the days..people did it for the passion..now a days everyone is doing it for the money...

if i was a rapper...i'd do it for the passion of hip hop ...fuck the money..

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

but indies can't stay afloat when fans aren't buying enough units to profit from a record.
I think part of the problem with this is too many people put out subpar albums with only one or two tracks that are banging. OF course the consumer is gonna download those 2 tracks instead of droppping money on something that is 80% filler. Look at the success itunes music store has had as well, this proves that point. Back in the day when you would buy an Illegal Business or Playaz In The Game or In A Major Way, the whole album was solid from front to back because the artists gave a fck back then and wanted to be dope...

Aug 7, 2006
^^basically, i do not get excited off of hip hop as much as i used to be lately i just found myself buying older albums. the gangster mob music i aint really much anymore since im getting older

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
I love rap. Period.

Here's what I hate:

I hate pop rappers.

I hate internet rappers who call themselves ''great'' and act like they're GOD...because they rap on myspace.

I hate the fact that EVERYONE is a rapper these days. Seriously.

I hate watching a rap video and seeing the bitter-beer face in every shot...acting like they just caught a whiff of a fresh fart.

I hate when a male rapper has more jewelry on than some of these goth emos I see running around the mall sometimes.

I hate rappers who wear t-shirts down to thier shins.

I hate rappers who say hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hate the coffee shop.

I hate hyphy.

I hate crunk.

I hate cholo music. I don't care if you're rapping to oldie beats or rapping about a huelga bird. I hate it.

I hate hearing about all these people you would kill if they dissed you when you have 1 misdemeanor for petit theft against you.

I hate stuttering rappers...from Bizarre to g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-anything.

I hate people screaming on records...DRAMA KING! DEEEEJAAAAAY KHALED WE THE BEST LIIIIISTEEEEEEEEEN! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I hate izzle shizzle nizzle bofuckingrizzle.

I hate dun dun.

I hate rappers who make no sense:
i fly united, ya bitch gets excited, felony indicted, who bited, ya man is two sided, fly kid, right fist, hi miss, white shits...what?

I hate pink on rappers.

I hate Kanye's glasses.

I hate men on men kissing on leather that's so soft.

I hate T-Pain on every track.

I hate Akon on every track.

I hate that I don't know what Souljah Boy Gon Tell me...

I hate that Master P doesn't cuss anymore, and I never heard him say anything except UGGGGGGHHHHHH! and YOU BOUT IT? I'M BOUT IT BOUT IT!

I hate Justin Timberlake on rap songs.

I hate Lil' Kim, Missy Elliot, Trina, and Jackie-O.

I hate white rappers who say nigga or -izzle.

I hate the unoriginality of rappers...Curtis? TI vs TIP?

I love rap. Period.

Jan 9, 2006
I love rap. Period.

Here's what I hate:

I hate pop rappers.

I hate internet rappers who call themselves ''great'' and act like they're GOD...because they rap on myspace.

I hate the fact that EVERYONE is a rapper these days. Seriously.

I hate watching a rap video and seeing the bitter-beer face in every shot...acting like they just caught a whiff of a fresh fart.

I hate when a male rapper has more jewelry on than some of these goth emos I see running around the mall sometimes.

I hate rappers who wear t-shirts down to thier shins.

I hate rappers who say hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hate the coffee shop.

I hate hyphy.

I hate crunk.

I hate cholo music. I don't care if you're rapping to oldie beats or rapping about a huelga bird. I hate it.

I hate hearing about all these people you would kill if they dissed you when you have 1 misdemeanor for petit theft against you.

I hate stuttering rappers...from Bizarre to g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-anything.

I hate people screaming on records...DRAMA KING! DEEEEJAAAAAY KHALED WE THE BEST LIIIIISTEEEEEEEEEN! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I hate izzle shizzle nizzle bofuckingrizzle.

I hate dun dun.

I hate rappers who make no sense:
i fly united, ya bitch gets excited, felony indicted, who bited, ya man is two sided, fly kid, right fist, hi miss, white shits...what?

I hate pink on rappers.

I hate Kanye's glasses.

I hate men on men kissing on leather that's so soft.

I hate T-Pain on every track.

I hate Akon on every track.

I hate that I don't know what Souljah Boy Gon Tell me...

I hate that Master P doesn't cuss anymore, and I never heard him say anything except UGGGGGGHHHHHH! and YOU BOUT IT? I'M BOUT IT BOUT IT!

I hate Justin Timberlake on rap songs.

I hate Lil' Kim, Missy Elliot, Trina, and Jackie-O.

I hate white rappers who say nigga or -izzle.

I hate the unoriginality of rappers...Curtis? TI vs TIP?

I love rap. Period.
agreed