On the under fight: Jones/Tarver 3

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Damn this fight is on saturday and i just heard that its going on. Damn no promo or anything. ESPN has a story how tarver and the network is mad cause Jones isnt hyping it.

BTW: Tarver -180 Jones +140

Jones irks Tarver, network with silenceBy Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

So, Roy Jones Jr., what do you think about your must-win third fight with rival and light heavyweight kingpin Antonio Tarver?

That's the question -- one of many -- that people have been asking since Jones' rubber match with Tarver began coming together in late July.

While Tarver has been verbose and relaxed in talking up the fight, Jones has been stone-cold silent.

Tarver

Jones
One of the many promotional activities Jones has blown off without notice was the kickoff news conference in New York, eliciting this dagger from typically mild-mannered HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg: "Hopefully, on Oct. 1 he gets his little rear end through the ropes in Tampa [Fla.]."

Since the fight was made, Jones (49-3, 38 KOs), the one-time pound-for-pound king who has lost by devastating knockout in two consecutive fights to Tarver and Glen Johnson, has been out of sight.

Presumably, Jones is training hard for Saturday night's fight (HBO PPV, 9 ET) at the St. Pete Times Forum. Jones will face fellow Floridian Tarver (23-3, 18 KOs) with his career -- some say his health -- obviously on the line.

But between now and the first bell, so many questions linger.

NO EXCUSES: TARVER-JONES III FIGHT CARD
HBO PPV Saturday 9 p.m. ET St. Pete Times Forum
Tampa, Fla.
• Light heavyweights: Antonio Tarver (23-3, 18 KOs) vs. Roy Jones Jr. (49-3, 38 KOs), 12 rounds, for Tarver's Ring magazine title.
• Lightweights: "Kid Diamond" Almazabek Raiymkulov (20-0-1, 12 KOs) vs. Nate Campbell (26-4-1, 22 KOs), 10 rounds.
• Middleweights: Andre Ward (5-0, 3 KOs) vs. Glen LaPlante (9-2-1, 6 KOs), 6 rounds.
• Heavyweights: Brian Minto (20-1, 11 KOs) vs. Vinnie Maddalone (25-2, 18 KOs), rematch, 10 rounds.

Did Jones really injure his hand in training camp as has been rumored?

No interviews.

Why, after more than a decade in exile, did Jones bring his father, Roy Jones Sr. -- better known as Big Roy -- back to work as a co-trainer?

No conference calls.

How are things working out with a two-headed camp that includes Big Roy and longtime trainer Alton Merkerson?

No press releases.

How can Jones turn the tables on Tarver, who knocked him cold in the second round of their May 2004 rematch, after Jones beat him on a controversial decision in November 2003?

Nothing.

Perhaps Jones learned his habits from Big Roy, who also was a no-show last week for a conference call with reporters to talk about the fight and his reunion with his son. Perhaps the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

“ He's tired of talking and he's tired of listening because people want him to say what they want to hear. He has a plan on what he wants to do. You don't tell everybody how you are going to catch a fish, you just catch the fish. ”
— Trainer Alton Merkerson on Roy Jones Jr.'s prefight silence

Jones' absence has left Merkerson to try to explain Jones' silence.

"There comes a time when actions speak louder than words," Merkerson said.

"Constantly telling people what you are going to do like Tarver's doing and trying to explain to people why you didn't do what you were supposed to do the last time, that's not a positive thing. Any negativity you will have will come about by answering questions like that because it is repetitious and it keeps pounding into you.

"You concentrate on trying to explain to people why something didn't happen, while you are preparing for the fight. I think he's just totally focused on the fight right now. He's tired of talking and he's tired of listening because people want him to say what they want to hear. He has a plan on what he wants to do. You don't tell everybody how you are going to catch a fish, you just catch the fish."

The terms for the fight call for the camps to split the revenue 50-50. Tarver has been doing his job to drum up interest in the fight, hoping it translates into pay-per-view buys and thus a greater purse. So he takes exception to Jones' no-show attitude on the promotion because he feels like Jones' non-participation is taking money out of his pocket.

"I think it is a slap in the face to all of those people that have pumped him up and glorified him over the years," Tarver said.

"The guy has given nothing to the game. All he's been is a bunch of hot air. It just goes to show that the guy has no compassion for the sport that made him a wealthy man and pretty much an icon in many ways, and he has given nothing back. It's a shame -- shame on him. "

“ When he finally had his card pulled, this is the reaction that we get. He hides his head, not wanting to be humiliated anymore. Unfortunately, that is the guy that we are dealing with and he seems to be very fragile right now. ”
— Rival Antonio Tarver on Roy Jones Jr.'s prefight silence

Tarver was just warming up in his attack on Jones.

"When a guy has been humiliated as he has by his archrival and nemesis, I don't think he is as confident as people want to make him out to be," Tarver continued.

"When he finally had his card pulled, this is the reaction that we get. He hides his head, not wanting to be humiliated anymore. Unfortunately that is the guy that we are dealing with and he seems to be very fragile right now. I haven't changed. I am the same guy and I will be the same guy after Oct. 1, and I want to take my rightful spot in boxing -- and that is on top."

What does Jones think about that?

No one knows.

Jun 1, 2002
I AGREEE THIS FIGHT HAS BEEN UNDER-HYPED. IT'S GONNA BE A REAL SPECTACLE. I'M ROOTIN FOR JONES. FUCK TARVER. HE'S EVEN MOUTHIER THAN JONES ON HIS WORST DAY.

May 24, 2002
www.sovereign-records.com
ey watch that vinnie madalone fight or wutever his name is , ive seen him a few times on friday night fights , hes not a great fighter but he is very entertaining. he goes to war everytime , big ass heavyweight that throws nothing but bombs... get ready for a slugfest on the undercard.

p.s. go roy!!!! knock tarvers ass out

Jan 2, 2004
Tarver got a lucky punch in the second Tarver fight... Jones was dominating up until that point..

And Jones got screwed in the Johnson fight.. He wasn't really knocked out.. He got back up, and he wasn't glazy eyed or nothing. They just stopped the fight. After the fight, they interviewed him and his eyes weren't glazed and he was perfectly aware. He also got up before the 10. A couple weeks earlier, a Pacquiao, I think, got knocked down three times in the first round, and came back to win the fight.. So, who knows what could've happened if they would've let Jones keep on fighting.

I mean, even Vlad Klitschko, the other day, got knocked down 4 times, and still won.

May 24, 2002
www.sovereign-records.com
714KaliHydro said:
Jones-Innactive for a year and KO'd in his last two fights?
Tarver-Class A boxer with a B in entertainment.

This fight is way too over-hyped.

Last Warning-Watch Showtime.
i feel you but the fight means more then the ones on showtime , plus chris byrd is boring and so is his opponent. and james toney is cool but i dont think the fight will be all that great... and marquez aint fighting today no more.. the fight got set back to a later date.... im buyin the ppv , then watchin the showtime replay

May 6, 2002
Very few enjoy Byrd's style, and I am one of them. Ya, his opponent is a butter though.

Toney vs Guinn is going to be a good one.

I'll follow Jones vs Tarver on a PBP somewhere on the net.

Jan 2, 2004
Didn't Ruiz get is title back :dead: Damn, that sucked so bad, I was so happy when Toney beat the shit outta him. Then, he tested positive for roids..

I'm looking forward to Rahman-Klitchko though, and I'll probably watch the Byrd and Toney fights tonight.

Jan 2, 2004
714KaliHydro said:
Jones-Innactive for a year and KO'd in his last two fights?
Tarver-Class A boxer with a B in entertainment.

This fight is way too over-hyped.

Last Warning-Watch Showtime.
Hopefully the Toney fight is good.. because that Byrd fight is the worst fight I've ever seen.

Nov 1, 2004
Yea, Roy jones fight was hella boring for awhile, until later on in the fight there was some action.
THe best fights were the undercards, Andre Ward mopped up his opponent in no time