OK, so I have some softsynths... how do I work em into my beats?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Im kinda new to making beats, and all I have is softsynths like Pro52, FM7, and B4. I use Fruity Loops for the sequencer and I have a keyboard as a midi controller for the softsynths. So my question is, how do I record what I play through the softsynth on top of a fruityloop beat I made? Can I do it in realtime? Or do I have to record what i play on the softsynth first, and then insert it Fruityloops in its own channel? Am I making sense?

Also, what program would be best to record the softsynth? (Or does fruityloops provide a recorder for such a task already)

Aug 12, 2002
I would steer clear of using vst instruments in FruityLoops because the interface gets convoluted. Fruity was after, designed to orginally be a 808 style drum sequencer, and although it's grown to become a versitle, powerful tool, it is not well designed. I reccomend one of the larger sequencers that support vst instruments, such as Cubase or Logic. If you decide to go with Cubase, I can help you out with setting them up.

I think you'll find the vst instruments lovely. Especially since they more or less force you to design your own sounds, instead of relying on a preset sound.

Good luck

-=bumpus=-