Official MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Thought I'd start a thread since it's about 4 days away...put any rumors/info about possible trades leading up to the deadline, what moves you want your team to make, etc.

Jan 5, 2006
with this youth movement, id like the giants to acquire a young hitter.. without really giving away any of our young pitching. Since we went young we'll probably have alot of money to play with.. if we got rid of zito even more money.. i think we can pick up a couple bats.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
with this youth movement, id like the giants to acquire a young hitter.. without really giving away any of our young pitching. Since we went young we'll probably have alot of money to play with.. if we got rid of zito even more money.. i think we can pick up a couple bats.

Marlins Inquire On Bengie Molina
By Tim Dierkes [July 27, 2008 at 3:31pm CST]

According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins recently inquired on Giants catcher Bengie Molina. Frisaro believes the asking price may be too high, but the situation is worth watching.

Molina, 34, is hitting .282/.313/.421 in 368 plate appearances this year. Molina rarely draws a walk or strikes out. Behind the dish, he's thrown out a third of attempted basestealers, fifth in baseball. Jason Kendall leads that stat by a wide margin, which is surprising to me.

Molina is owed another $2.2MM this year and $6MM in '09, plus performance bonuses for games started as a catcher. He has some level of no-trade protection, though it's unclear which teams are included. The Yankees have also been linked to Molina. The price is said to be a young power hitter.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
excuse me for not looking at rumors.. i havent been following the giants alot as of late, ive been working on some other stuff.
Was just putting up info as a way to let people know that they are willing to part with whatever decent players we have for the right price...

Jan 5, 2006
gotcha, with that said.. i like bengie but he's approaching retirement soon, and hes definitely not the fastest.. i guess whatever we can get for all and any of our veterans lets do it. Except maybe Winn and Rowand.

Apr 5, 2005
Huston Street to the Brewers for prospects......It appears the Brewers want to win now! This season! Street would definitely solidify they closing duties. Gagne is a joke and Torres is iffy to me.

Jan 5, 2006
the problem is no one is worth what theyre paid.. and im talking about those that make a shitload of money.. its sad that baseball has come to this.. overpaid underachievers, yes this includes zito too.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Giants trade rumors/info:

Houston Chronicle said:
Heading into Thursday’s non-waiver trade deadline, the talks will heat up. The Washington Nationals, New York Mets, Texas Rangers, San Francisco Giants and Detroit Tigers had all planned to watch the Astros’ game against the Cincinnati Reds on Monday night.

Mets Unlikely To Acquire Outfielder
By Tim Dierkes [July 28, 2008 at 11:02am CST]

Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes about the Mets' unsuccessful search for a corner outfielder.

The Mets find the prospect price too high on players such as Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay. They don't seem to care for Adam Dunn or Brian Giles. They don't like Randy Winn's contract or lack of power. And Manny Ramirez is unlikely for numerous reasons.

While the Mets are fans of Ibanez, they've made all of their interesting prospects untouchable. The Mets may prefer to use some of those prospects in offseason deals. For now they will stick with the red-hot Fernando Tatis and other internal options.

Tigers Eyeing Taschner
By Tim Dierkes [July 27, 2008 at 2:19pm CST]

The Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, and Cardinals have been linked to Giants' lefty Jack Taschner in the past. Today, MLB.com's Trade Talk blog says the Tigers have been observing him as well. However, the Tigers have fallen to 7.5 games out in the AL Central (they might shave that to 6.5 today if the bullpen can hold a four-run lead).

Taschner, 30, has struggled this month after a solid stretch in May and June. Control has always been an issue. Taschner is under team control for quite a while.

Apr 5, 2005
the problem is no one is worth what theyre paid.. and im talking about those that make a shitload of money.. its sad that baseball has come to this.. overpaid underachievers, yes this includes zito too.
Manny has put up hall of fame numbers ever since he joined the BoSox.

He hits over .300, 30+ HR's, drives in 100+ RBI. But this season and last season were his underachieving years. The guy is still solid as fuck. Manny has a no trade clause, but he said if he would approve a trade if its a team he wants to play for.

To be honest, if he doesn't get traded, I think the Bosox will not pick up his 09-10 option. He is deteriorating and we all know that. He doesn't even attempt to run the bases either.

Aug 9, 2006
zito is hardly an underachiver......dude is a flat out bust for yall.....one of the worst FA moves in the entire history of the game

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
Yea Zito is probably one of the biggest busts with what ya'll are paying him.

Im a huge cubs fan, and we got what we needed with Harden and Gaudin. they dont need anymore help. Soriano 's back with his much needed big bat. Jeff Samardzija has been called up and brings us another solid reliever. and marmol of course has fit in nicely to the closer role with wood out.

We're solid as fuck and anything less than going to the world series will be a disappointment. Cubs 09 WS champs