OFFICIAL ANGELS THREAD...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
We just got Mark Texiera. Gave up Kotch and a prospect from the farm.
I don't like the trade. Kotchman was doing one hell of a job. People always keep talking about a big bat. We have pop. Vlad, GA, Mathews, Hunter, etc. We aren't a long ball team. It sucks to see him go, but I guess it is what it is.

I don't mind bandwagon fans, I just don't like it when they act like they know...

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
We just got Mark Texiera. Gave up Kotch and a prospect from the farm.
I don't like the trade. Kotchman was doing one hell of a job. People always keep talking about a big bat. We have pop. Vlad, GA, Mathews, Hunter, etc. We aren't a long ball team. It sucks to see him go, but I guess it is what it is.

I don't mind bandwagon fans, I just don't like it when they act like they know...

well it looks like the angles just won the world series lol

May 6, 2002
well it looks like the angles just won the world series lol
Ya I know, but I don't think we needed a trade like that to do it. We can do it without Texiera. Who knows, he may come here and be a total flop. We took it in 2002 and we ddin't have any big bats. Until today our biggest offensive name was Hunter. I just don't want to end up bieng a big name team like the Sox and the Yankees, teams that other people love to hate.

Nov 14, 2002
Ya I know, but I don't think we needed a trade like that to do it. We can do it without Texiera. Who knows, he may come here and be a total flop. We took it in 2002 and we ddin't have any big bats. Until today our biggest offensive name was Hunter. I just don't want to end up bieng a big name team like the Sox and the Yankees, teams that other people love to hate.
Ehh...

I know exactly where you're coming from, and I've always stuck by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto myself, but by all accounts our problems in '04, '05, and '07 were the lack of a complimentary power hitter to Vlad [aside from injuries, of course]. Being a big franchise like Boston and the Yankees may not be so bad considering that the two teams have combined to win the last 6 of 12 WS championships. Besides...according to G-Dubb America already hates our guts anyway.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
I WAS SORTA DISSAPOINTED IN THAT TRADE. KOTCHMAN WAS DEFINITELY COMING ALONG REAL WELL, AS FAR AS HITTING AND HIS GLOVE WAS MONEY.
BUT IF TEXEIRA DOES WHAT HE DOES BEST AND RIPS THE SHIT OUT THE BALL AND ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE WAY THE ANGELS BEEN TAKING IT TO BOSTON WITHOUT HIM. THEN THEY MIGHT JUST GO AND MAKE ANOTHER WORLD SERIES PARADE VICTORY CRACK IN OC.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
THAT IS THE REASON I STOPPED GOING FOR THE ANGELS...CAUSE OF ALL THE BANDWAGON FANS, I ROOTED FOR THEM UP UNTIL THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES THEN STOPPED ROCKING THEIR SHIT AT ALL. CAUSE NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU GOT BITCHES AND DUDES WHO WERE DODGER FANS OR YANKEE FANS SPORTING ANGEL SHIT...

YO SICC DAWG AND THOUGH I AINT ALL UP ON THE ANGELS NUTS. REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAINST THE YANKEES THE YEAR THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES AND YOU WERE ROCKING THAT YANKEES JACKET GOING AGAINST THEM? WHO WAS THE ONLY MOTHERFUCKER WHO HAD THE ANGELS BACK? ME FOOL. I DONT WEAR THEIR GEAR I JUST BET ON THEM OR TALK SHIT AGAINST OTHER FOOLS BUT I NEVER BANDWAGONED SHIT.

Dec 28, 2004
yeah I remember that G, I was at your pad during one of the games.....you guys are legit, true fans.... But like you've said before, a lot of bandwagon fans. Happens everywhere I guess.....nice pick up for the Angels. I'm a big Dodger fan so I'm always against the Angels no matter what hahahahaha

Nov 7, 2005
Shit, I've been a fan since the old Wally Joyner, Devon White, Brian Downing, Mike Witt, etc. days. But at the same time I grew up in a family that was predominately Dodger fans so I grew up liking both. So when it comes down to it, if my Angels have no chance at the Series, I'll go for the Dodgers, any other team...fuck em.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
08/11/2008 11:00 AM ET
When it counts, count on Angels to win
Clutch bats, 'pen have Majors-best club taking close contests
By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

The Halos are 23-13 in one-run games, 38-21 on the road, and 18-5 in Joe Saunders' starts. (Ric Francis/AP)
Angels Headlines

• Road dominance the key to Halos' wins
• Angels finish sweep of Yankees
• Angels looking forward to rest
• Halos' Hunter tweaks ankle, starts at DH
• Mathis scratched from Angels' lineup
• More Angels Headlines
MLB Headlines

• Peek at the Week: Leaders beware
• Webb wins 17th, keeps D-backs in first
• Angels finish sweep of Yankees
• Rays set team mark with 71st win
• Astros douse Bonds speculation
• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
• Angels depth chart
• Angels stats: Hitting | Pitching
• Buy Angels tix | Watch, listen to games live
• Try MLB.TV for five days, risk-free

ANAHEIM -- The numbers don't add up. In no way do they explain why the Angels are what they are, the best team in the Major Leagues with six weeks left in the season.
This is a team that ranks fifth in the American League in team ERA, eighth in runs scored, 10th in slugging and on-base percentage, eighth in batting average. Its defense is ninth in fielding percentage.

Go figure.

The only explanation is that numbers don't necessarily lie, but sometimes you have to dig deep to find the right ones.

Try this: 38-21. That is the Angels' road record. It is the best in the Majors, from Anaheim to Beantown. No other American League club even has a winning record on the road, that's how much better the Angels have been while performing in unfriendly environs.

"It shows that we have a lot of tough-minded guys who know how to play the game," Chone Figgins, the catalyst, said. "We play every game with meaning and feeling. We don't look past that one game. I think it explains why we are good on the road: Our ability not to look past today's game."

And this: 47-20. That is the Angels' record against teams with winning records. Against the American League East, featuring the reigning champions in Boston, along with the Rays and Yankees, the Angels are 27-13.

You can interpret that in any number of ways, but it clearly demonstrates an ability to rise to the occasion. The Angels didn't get to an MLB-best 74-43 record by beating up on a weak division, as some critics seem to believe. Against teams below .500, their record is a pedestrian 27-23.

"We like to play against the best teams," starter Joe Saunders was saying after Sunday's sweep of the Yankees. "When we're playing a good team, we have to bring our best -- because we know we're going to see their best. They bring out the best in us, our athleticism and competitiveness."

And this: 44-18. That is the Angels' record in one-run decisions and two-run decisions. They're 23-13 in games decided by one run, 21-5 in games decided by two runs.

To explain this, Saunders pointed to three lockers, those belonging to Francisco Rodriguez, Scot Shields and Jose Arredondo.

"Those three guys have been unbelievable," Saunders said. "If we can go six innings and keep us in the game, our seventh-, eighth- and ninth-inning guys are so good, you have to like our chances. Sure, we all want to go nine. But it's pretty comforting if you go six and know those three guys are down there."

K-Rod has 45 saves and a 2.36 ERA. Shields has five wins, two saves and a 2.80 ERA. Arredondo, the new kid in town, has a 0.95 ERA in 32 appearances, with four wins.

And this: .293. That's what the Angels are batting with runners in scoring position, compared to a .265 team average overall.

Garret Anderson, riding a 16-game hitting streak, is batting .368 with runners at first and/or second. The man is still clutch. Young Howie Kendrick has been even more lethal, hitting .406 with runners in scoring position.

Torii Hunter, in the midst of a great second half, is batting .309 with runners in scoring position. So is Maicer Izturis, the vastly underrated shortstop. Erick Aybar, who shares the job with Izturis, is hitting .298 with runners in scoring position.

"Nothing bothers this team," Anderson said. "We never get wrapped up in one game. We move on to the next one. It's been the nature of this team since I've been here. I think it starts with Mike [Scioscia] and runs through the team."

And this: 6 1/3. Those are the average innings per start by the Angels' rotation, best in the game.

Saunders didn't get the win in Sunday's game, remaining at 14-5 despite seven gritty innings, but you couldn't have known judging by how upbeat he was.

"Sure, it would be awesome to get to 20 wins," Saunders said. "But when my team wins, I win. If I get the W, kudos to me. But if I don't and we win, I'm a happy man."

Told that the Angels are 18-5 in his starts, Saunders beamed.

"Only two away from 20 when I pitch," he said. "That'd be awesome."

There are no stats, no data available to quantify character.

If there were, the Angels would like their chances of ranking No. 1.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
DETROIT -- The White Sox, engaged in a spirited duel with the Twins for American League Central supremacy, would seem to have a major motivational edge in a three-game weekend showdown with the runaway American League West-leading Angels.
Just don't even try to convince Angels manager Mike Scioscia, who tends to view such matters from an entirely different perspective.

"We're in a race," Scioscia said. "We need to play good baseball. We need to regain our continuity. We're not doing things as crisply right now as we did maybe a couple weeks ago."

The race involving the Angels is with other prominent AL clubs for the best record, which will guarantee home-field advantage throughout the postseason. The AL once again claimed the right to host Games 1, 2, 6 and 7 of the World Series with its All-Star Game triumph.

While he tries not to look beyond the moment, Scioscia did offer a few thoughts about the White Sox, a power-packed outfit that leads the AL in homers and is sixth overall in runs scored and team ERA.

"They're extremely well-balanced," Scioscia said. "They have a lineup that scores runs in some different ways. They can drive the ball out of the park. They've got a good rotation with guys in the bullpen that can definitely hold leads and a legitimate closer.

"They've got a veteran club with some young kids playing well, like [second baseman Alexei] Ramirez."

Scioscia is keenly aware of the many talents of Ramirez's partner in the middle of the White Sox infield. Orlando Cabrera won a Gold Glove Award last season playing shortstop for the Angels before getting shipped to Chicago in exchange for starter Jon Garland in November.

"I can't imagine that O.C. is not having a positive influence on that whole infield," Scioscia said.

The Angels had replaced Cabrera capably for most of the season with Erick Aybar and Maicer Izturis, but both are unavailable now. Izturis is out for the season after surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb, while Aybar is recovering from tightness in his left hamstring.

Also out with a strained left hamstring is second baseman Howie Kendrick. The Angels are going with rookies Brandon Wood and Sean Rodriguez at shortstop and third, respectively.

In a three-game series on the South Side in late May, the Angels won the first two games behind superb efforts from Joe Saunders and Jered Weaver before dropping the finale when Carlos Quentin went deep twice. The teams split four games in Anaheim earlier in May.

Weaver was supposed to start the series opener against the White Sox, a club he has handcuffed in the past (3-0, 0.34 ERA). But he cut two fingers on his pitching hand in an incident in the dugout at Detroit on Tuesday night and is being pushed back to Monday night against the Yankees at Angel Stadium.

Dustin Moseley, with none-too-fond memories of U.S. Cellular Field, slides back into his role as emergency starter. Moseley yielded Jim Thome's 500th career homer last September, a two-run walk-off shot.

"I don't think Dustin's going to change what he has to do," Scioscia said. "There will be some slight adjustments. That happens with a team that can drive the ball. That's a deep lineup that can drive the ball out of the park; you're going to pay the price if you're not hitting your spots."

As always, adhering to the Scioscia mantra, the Angels' focus will be on execution -- their own, not that of the opposition.

"If we play well," he said, "I think it validates the fact that we can play with anybody."

Pitching matchup
LAA: RHP Dustin Moseley (1-3, 7.15 ERA)
Moseley's most recent Angels start -- filling in for Saunders right before the All-Star break on July 13 in Oakland -- was one of his best. Moseley went 5 1/3 innings, yielding two earned runs on four hits and a walk while striking out four. The Angels won, but he didn't figure in the decision. Moseley has experienced forearm issues in the aftermath of surgery last October to relieve pressure on the right ulna nerve. He has spent most of the season at Triple-A Salt Lake, where he was 7-10 with a 6.94 ERA.

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle (11-11, 4.12 ERA)
Buehrle finished the month of August with 51 hits allowed in 35 1/3 innings, but he still posted a 3-2 record despite Saturday's loss at Fenway Park. Buehrle gave up 11 hits and seven runs over 4 2/3 innings during an 8-2 Red Sox victory, walking one and striking out three. The left-hander had a personal three-game win streak come to an end and dropped back to .500 for the season. Against the Angels in 2008, Buehrle is 0-1 with a 9.53 ERA. He holds a 1-5 lifetime mark against Los Angeles, but also has a 65-40 ledger at U.S. Cellular Field.

Tidbits
Sizzling Mark Teixeira has scored or driven in a run in nine consecutive games and 11 of the past 12. ... The Angels hold a series edge against all five AL Central clubs and are 22-15 overall against the division. Only the Rays (6-3) in the AL have the season series advantage over the Angels, who have taken the measure of every other AL team and are 75-46 within the league. The Braves and Mets each took two of three from the Halos in Interleague Play, and the Dodgers split six games. ... Wood is returning to the scene of his first Major League start at shortstop -- May 24 this season -- and his first Major League hit: a single against Bobby Jenks on April 29, 2007. ... Right-hander Shane Loux starts his rehab from oral surgery on Friday when he pitches for Triple-A Salt Lake in the Pacific Coast League playoffs against Sacramento. ... Right-handed reliever Alex Serrano cleared waivers and becomes a free agent.