OAKLAND RAIDERS OFFSEASON THREAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I hear y'all but I've seen Javon have big games. We'll see what he can do in a Raider uniform. With him out there at his best, defenses won't be able to crowd the line of scrimmage with them 8-men fronts. If they do that means he'll probably will be in one-on-one coverage. Bad news for that DB. He'll get abused but Javon has to be at his best. We'll see....

Dec 2, 2006
adam shefter.

Don't disappear when you get called out and we don't want to hear any excuses about how terrible your receivers are. They're going to be terrible because they don't have a qb that can get them the ball. We'll see, so enough of that Vince Young talk.

What's up with Javon? I heard that he's questionable for Monday night's game. Man wtf is going on?
he always spreads rumors.

Apr 25, 2002
We know McFadden is going to score... good we did pick him. At first I thought we should have picked Glenn Dorsey but now looking at it, McFadden was/is the better fit for us. Gives our offense an explosive dimension that needs to be accounted for at all times.

Javon Walker went back to wearing number 84!!!!
Im not sure McFadden was a better fit than Dorsey considering we have a whopping 3 DT's on the roster going into the season. But that doesn't mean I wasn't behind drafting McFadden. Lets just hope he's the game changer we know he can be.

Dec 2, 2006
oh yeah.

our run attack will make are recievers above average. regardless of what people think of them. running the ball (controlling the clock) and defense win championships. not taking it that far, but the raiders will be a solid team. you really think besides throwing on the first 12 plays against arizona and them knowing it, kiffin showed the real spread formations and things we can and will do offensively starting monday night? really mixing run with pass, play action, putting mcfadden in motion one on one with a safety or linebacker, etc. i feel teams are gonna pay for putting 8 in the box thinking we cant throw. if we average 21 points a game offensively, we go 8-8. 24-28 we go atleast 10-6. book it! im not sold on javon walker, but wont make any judgement until arount the bye week. even then, if we are winning, im not mad. curry will have a career year. zach miller will be around 50-60 receptions. we will rush as a team for over 2,000 yards. its getting close! mcfadden and fargas could have 1,000 yards each, and bush, that guy if he gets a chance will be the second half monster wearing down defenses. 5 days and counting!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
^^^I like that analysis dog! I don't think Kiffin was even close to opening his playbook either, it was mostly vanilla.

A lot of Raider fans on this board ain't sold on Javon either so I feel y'all. I just think he could bring that downfield threat to our offense. I mean JR does have that arm and if JW plays to his potential it's going to be on. If Javon can establish himself as a downfield threat, running lanes are going to be opening up. Can't wait to see our squad in action.

Dec 2, 2006
j russell will be fine.

^^^I like that analysis dog! I don't think Kiffin was even close to opening his playbook either, it was mostly vanilla.

A lot of Raider fans on this board ain't sold on Javon either so I feel y'all. I just think he could bring that downfield threat to our offense. I mean JR does have that arm and if JW plays to his potential it's going to be on. If Javon can establish himself as a downfield threat, running lanes are going to be opening up. Can't wait to see our squad in action.
the guy is a monster. we just need to control the game tempo. walker could still have it. yeah, i cant wait to see russell throw a 60 yard bomb in the air, or even 70 yards for that matter. he looks confident and moves well in the pocket. pre season just isnt the guage. when shell was coach a couple years ago, i think we went 4-1 in the pre season.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'm excited about this season. I'm not expecting playoffs, but I do wanna see Russell & McFadden's progression......I'm tryin to get tickets to MNF too! I just gotta find someone to roll with

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
With USC-like weapons, Kiffin to open up offense

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 4, 2008
Quarterback JaMarcus Russell will be asked to do more tha... Darren McFadden has a rare combination of breakaway speed...

(09-03) 17:50 PDT -- Raiders coach Lane Kiffin is done serving vanilla ice cream in a playbook cone. You know how it tasted last year. Run the ball between the tackles. Stick to safe passes with low-yield results. Hold back the tight ends and running backs for pass protection.

All this made for upright quarterbacks, fewer sacks and improved turnover ratios, all in the face of limited personnel and talent on offense. Still, safe and sure did nothing to prevent six losses by a touchdown or less in Kiffin's 4-12 NFL debut.

Those simpleton days are drawing to a close, Kiffin can sense. He has the freakish quarterback with a dynamic throwing arm. His name is JaMarcus Russell. He has a phenomenal running back with score-changing speed. His name is Darren McFadden.

At last, Kiffin has some of the star attractions needed to call the sort of exotic plays he utilized at USC, where he parlayed "Get the ball to Reggie" into an NFL head coaching job at the baby-face age of 31.

Now is the time for Kiffin to work his X-and-O wonders. With Al Davis impatient as ever to win, Kiffin's second season on the job is depending on how this offense performs.

"When you get exciting additions to your personnel, who can do special things, it makes it that much more exciting to game plan," Kiffin said. "Because they do have the ability to make big-time plays. Those types of guys don't come around often, so it's very exciting."

Russell is a beast of a 23-year-old quarterback. At 6-foot-6, 269 pounds, he has the strength to blow off blitzing cornerbacks with a dismissive shrug. He has the smooth footwork to throw on the run and the pocket presence to stand defiantly in the face of pressure, and with this offensive line, there is almost always pressure.

When he throws the ball, duck. The ball whistles out of his right hand, soaring 45 yards downfield for go routes or zipping 6 yards to the sideline on short outs. He has the touch to throw swing passes to running backs without dislocating their fingers.

So ends the post-Gannon revolving door at quarterback, from Rick Mirer to Josh McCown.

"Everybody knows he has a strong arm," wide receiver Javon Walker said. "His physical size makes him that much better than a lot of quarterbacks in the league."

Kiffin knows how to work with star quarterbacks. He was the passing-game coordinator at USC, where Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer became megastars. He knows the offense rises or freefalls on the back of its quarterback.

That doesn't mean Kiffin will ask Russell to set the NFL passing record. That wouldn't be fair. What Kiffin does expect his second-year quarterback to do is come through when asked, even if that's just 15 times in some games.

"This team is going to ride on JaMarcus," Kiffin said. "There's going to be a lot of games where he's going to have to make plays on critical third downs with two-minute drives. That's how quarterbacks get their name in this league.

"We have to do a lot of things around him to help him out.

Enter McFadden, the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up turned No. 4 overall draft pick.

McFadden proved at the NFL combine he could run like lightning, maybe faster. He showed in the exhibition season he can be a physical runner inside the box who breaks tackles. That gives him the potential to reintroduce the 50-yard touchdown to the Raiders' offense.

Just wait until Kiffin turns McFadden loose. Effective Monday night, all the world will see what McFadden will do when asked to turn a counter run around the corner, or line up in the slot, or take a snap at quarterback.

Kiffin said he "anticipates" the offense being more explosive with McFadden being the two-punch behind starter Justin Fargas. Others aren't so reserved in their gushing.

"You give Darren a crack, he can take it the house," fullback Justin Griffith said. "We all know JaMarcus brings the big arm. I'm telling you, we have a chance to be one of the best offenses that's playing football right now."

That's what the Raiders need to escape the land of 4-12. And, that's what Kiffin needs to get another year with the Raiders, if it's another year he wants.

"I don't care if we win 2-0, we need to win games," Kiffin said. "I'm going to do the best thing to win them, regardless of how boring that may be at times."

Boring? That is so last year.
Five keys to success

Protect the QB: They went from 72 sacks allowed to 41 in a single year, but they must do better. Bootlegs, play-action and quick-timing routes help, but tackles Cornell Green and Kwame Harris must hold the edges so longer routes can develop.

Run, Raiders, run: Justin Fargas brings 1,000-yard toughness. Darren McFadden adds a home-run swing. The one-two punch will control the clock and keep JaMarcus Russell from having to play Superman.

Fill the gap: The run defense struggles to stay in the right gap and make solid tackles when presented the chance. That must change because teams will forever run against them in the interest of game management.

Miller time: Tight end Zach Miller is the most reliable friend Russell could ask for. His hands are sure, his speed beats linebackers, his blocking saves. When third down calls, Miller is there.

Sticky fingers: Johnnie Lee Higgins is spectacular one return, disastrous the next. This team isn't good enough to give away balls on special teams. Hold onto the thing before McFadden is forced to risk injury back there.

- David White

E-mail David White at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/04/SP2D12MDJN.DTL

Apr 25, 2002
^If thats the case then..
powder puff girls>niners

On the real IronLungs really wishes he were a Raiders fan. Dude spends more time talking about the Raiders than his own team. He's even got an avatar of himself with a Raider logo on top.

Apr 25, 2002
hahaahah damn I dont look at avatars but i was gonna put, Niner fans took a shit on us in this thread by leaving him here and not letting his dumbass near a niner thread in hopes he wont bring bad luck to their team. Good read Superfly thanks. Can't wait til monday....