Oakland Raiders Football star McClain called 911 to report car shot at

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
http://satellite.tmcnet.com/news/2011/01/29/5275873.htm

Jan 29, 2011 (The Decatur Daily - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- Former University of Alabama football star Rolando McClain called Morgan County 911 to report being shot at while driving Thursday evening in Southwest Decatur, according to transcripts of the phone call and police.

"Someone shot at my car," he said in the 6:56 p.m. call. "Still got the bullet hole in it." During the call, McClain, 21, said the shooters were "one of the families or whatever on Eighth (Avenue)," and that they were standing outside, not in a vehicle, when they shot at him.

McClain could not describe the shooters, but implied that he would recognize them if he encountered them again. "I know if I would see them," he said during the call.

Officers met with McClain at a Sixth Avenue Southwest location he gave, police said.

McClain reported that while he was driving on Second Street Southwest, a group of people on Second Street and Eighth Avenue shot at his vehicle, police said.

Officers saw where one round struck the rear hatch of his vehicle, but the bullet did not penetrate the passenger compartment, police said. The bullet was recovered.

According to a police report, the shot did $5,000 in damage to McClain's vehicle.

Detectives interviewed the passengers who were in McClain's vehicle at the time of the shooting and are following leads in the case, police said.

Public Information Officer Lt. Jonathan Green said McClain gave no indication of any prior incident that would have led to the attack.

Earlier report Decatur police had responded to an earlier report of a person possibly being shot in the area of Second Street Southwest and Memorial Drive -- a block from Eighth Avenue -- at about 6:36 p.m.

Seeing a man fall A motorist reported seeing a man fall after shots were fired, according to 911 transcripts of that first call. When officers arrived on the scene, they could not find a victim, police said.

"We just passed Second Street, and there's a shooting," the caller said. "He shot somebody. We saw ... we saw a man fall." An e-mail message left with McClain's agent, Pat Dye Jr., requesting comment was not immediately answered.

Information sought Anyone with information related to the shooting is asked to contact the Decatur Police Department at 256-341-4660. Callers may remain anonymous.

McClain now plays football professionally for the Oakland Raiders after being selected in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft. He signed for $40 million over five years. The Raiders' season ended Jan. 2.

Off-field incidents linked to Rolando McClain and his family Dec. 3, 2010: Rolando McClain's brother Myke McClain reported being robbed when he gave a friend a ride from Little Caesar's. The next day, his sister, Tequlia McClain, said she and Myke McClain were shot at following an encounter with the same friend at a gas station.

Nov. 11, 2010: Attorneys for Stanford Matthew Mangham filed suit in Morgan County Circuit Court accusing Rolando McClain of negligence, assault and invasion of privacy related to a claim that a car driven by McClain struck Mangham twice Nov. 13, 2008, in Tuscaloosa.

Sept. 21, 2010: Myke McClain was arrested during a traffic stop for first-degree possession of marijuana.

June 17, 2009: A man argued with Myke McClain on the phone, then shot him in the 500 block of Betty Street Southwest.

May 8, 2008: Rolando McClain was involved in a motorcycle accident on Point Mallard Drive Southeast, according to a teammate, but suffered no major injuries.

911 transcripts First call Dispatch: 911. What is your emergency? Caller 1: Uh, yes, we just passed Second Street, and there's a shooting.

Caller 2: Right by Memorial Street.

Dispatch: Where, ma'am? Caller 1: Right by Memorial Street on Second Avenue.

Dispatch: Second Avenue and Memorial? Is it Northwest or Southwest? Caller 1: Southwest.

Dispatch: Southwest? Caller 1: Yes, ma'am.

Dispatch: OK. And who's shooting? Caller: We -- we saw him, but we don't know who it is.

Dispatch: What does he look like? Caller 1: He was a black man.

Dispatch: What is he -- I mean, what was he wearing? Caller 1: He had on a gray dark -- a dark gray hoodie.

Dispatch: And who was he shooting at? Could you tell? Caller 1: We don't know. We just -- just passed by and one of the bullets -- Caller 2: I'm telling you he shot somebody. I seen him fall.

Caller 1: He shot somebody. We saw -- we saw a man fall.

Dispatch: You saw a man fall? Caller 1: Yeah. He -- somebody got shot and -- Dispatch: Where is that person now? Caller 1: We -- they -- I don't -- we just passed by. We don't know.

Dispatch: Were they both on foot? Caller 1: Yes.

Caller 2: He was one block past Memorial Drive on Second.

Dispatch: OK. One -- is he saying one block from Memorial? Caller 1: Yes, ma'am. One block on Memorial on Second.

Caller 2: I know the house. I pass it every day.

Dispatch: OK. Which way on -- which way on Second, like from Memorial? Is it east of Second or what? Caller 1: East of Second. East of Second, yes, ma'am.

Caller 2: East of Second, yes, one block east of Second. Let me have it. Ma'am? Dispatch: Yes, sir.

Caller 2: It is one block, one block on the right past the light. If you go under a light on Memorial Drive and Danville Road, you know, and you're on Second Street. And it was the first block, and it's that house right on the right where they always stay ganged up, there's a big ramp, a wooden ramp.

Dispatch: There's a wooden ramp? Caller 2: And I don't know if it's for -- ma'am? Dispatch: A wooden ramp? Caller 2: A wooden ramp, you know, like for a wooden -- for a wheelchair or something. And there's always -- I go to work that way every single day is the reason I know this. And, uh, the guy jumped out from behind a -- like a Tahoe or a Suburban. And there was a guy at the other end of it. And he started emptying the gun. And the other guy fell. And I gassed it, you know, because I was just a happened to be going by when all of this happened.

Dispatch: But you saw the guy fall like he had been shot, though? Caller 2: I seen the guy fall.

Dispatch: OK.

Caller 2: And I also seen the guy shooting the gun.

Caller 2: He had it in both hands.

Dispatch: OK. Did you -- Caller 2: And -- Dispatch: He -- Caller 2: I seen the fire coming from the gun.

Dispatch: OK, sir. Hold on a second. Did you say he had guns in both hands? Caller 2: No.

Caller 2: He had both hands on the gun.

Dispatch: OK. All right. What's your name, sir? Caller 2: My name is ....... .

Dispatch: OK. And what's your phone -- Caller 2: All -- all of the police know me there.

Dispatch: OK, sir. What's your phone number? Caller 2: My number is ... .

Dispatch: OK. We've got them on the way over there to try to locate these people. OK? I've got medical en route, too.

Caller 2: OK, all right.

Dispatch: OK. Thank you.

Second call Dispatch: 911. What's your emergency? Caller 1: Uh, ... Sixth Avenue.

Dispatch: Sixth Avenue what? Northwest, Southwest? Caller 1: What is it, Northwest? Caller 2: Southwest.

Caller 1: Southwest.

Dispatch: What's going on? Caller 1: Uh, the driver, and someone shot at my car.

Dispatch: Somebody shot at your car? Caller 1: Yep, still got the bullet hole in it.

Dispatch: Do you know who did this? Caller 1: Uh, it was one of the families or whatever on Eighth Street (Eighth Avenue, police said).

Dispatch: Do you want to speak to the officer whenever we get one out there? Caller 1: Sure. I'll be right there sitting on the street.

Dispatch: OK. What is your name? Caller 1: Lyndall (Rolando, police said) McClain.

Dispatch: Are you talking ... ? Caller 1: ... (repeats telephone number) Dispatch: OK. What type of vehicle is it? Caller 1: Chevy Tahoe black.

Dispatch: OK. And what type of vehicle shot your vehicle? What type of vehicle were they in? Caller 1: They wasn't in a vehicle. They were standing outside.

Dispatch: OK. And do you know, can you give me the description of these subjects? Caller 1: I have no idea. I know if I would see them.

Dispatch: OK, sir. We've got an officer on the way.

Caller 1: All right.