Not Not Fun Records mega thread.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Shouldn't this just be it's own thread? Would be easier to keep track of that way, have the list you update on the first page and whatnot.

Anyway I'm positive I posted this in this thread before but a search turned up nothing, weird.

NNF209 - Pocahaunted - Threshold

A. Threshold
B. Echolocation

Download

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
NNF217 - Peaking Lights - 936

Synthy 2:58
All The Sun That Shines 6:53
Amazing And Wonderful 5:29
Birds Of Paradise Dub Version 7:57
Hey Sparrow 3:56
Tiger Eyes (Laid Back) 7:47
Marshmellow Yellow 8:27
Summertime 5:26

Cassette-tape format of Peaking Lights' recent fave full-length, features the bonus songs also on the CD edition. Here's what we said before: "Sometimes it feels so simple: two of our favorite people in one of our favorite bands release one of our favorite records of all time. 2009’s Imaginary Falcons was its own genius slushpile of tape-hissy drift-dub haze anthems, no question, but 936 takes every facet of the Peaking Lights mighty diamond and shines it to fluorescent perfection. The songwriting is insane; “All The Sun That Shines,” “Amazing & Wonderful,” “Tiger Eyes (Laid Back),” etc, all seep into yr mindstream and float there like melodic gold dust. Indra Dunis’ silky soul-jazz keys and tranced vocals have never sounded so exquisite, and Aaron Coyes busts out the best bass/drum loops and sneaky dub guitar of his musical lifetime. Recorded by Luke Tweedy at Flat Black Studios in Iowa City (where both the NNF Wet Hair LPs were tracked) and mastered in Berlin, 936 retains the cool crate-digger grit of their earlier highlights, but within a much more vivid spectrum of sound. Could not be more jazzed and honored to unveil this total groove-wave classic." Pro-dubbed and imprinted tapes, in full color double-sided j-cards. Edition of 180.

NNF217

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
Shouldn't this just be it's own thread? Would be easier to keep track of that way, have the list you update on the first page and whatnot.
yeah it would be easier to track that way. is nuttkase a mod? if someone wants to move all the NNF posts into 1 thread, go for it. if not, thats fine.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
NNF219 - Pedro Magina - Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five

A1 44th Street
A2 High Echoes
A3 Miyagi
A4 Sunday Morning
B1 Kickflip
B2 Minor Romance
B3 Shout In Your Face
B4 Sparkling Bee
This kind of sprawling, minimal electronic noodling is pretty much everywhere these days.With some amazing acts like Emeralds, Oneohtrix Point Never and Arp churning out such massive and well received records as of late, most things of this nature get tagged as "ripoffs" and such, and are quickly discounted and pushed aside.But, every so often, something comes along to remind us that big things still come in tiny packages.Such is the case with Pedro Magina's latest cassette, "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five".The faded old credit card imagery on the cover doesn't give any real insight to what you will hear, which made this listen all the more worthwhile.Magina shows his love for the 80's at every turn, with a literal slew of synthesizers, electric organs, vibes and analog sounds of future's past.It's not entirely too heavy on futuristic retro junk, or generic nostalgia whatsoever.Instead, Magina's created a focused and full-bodied collection of songs, and each one is more compelling and memorable than the last.His miniature epics are like gentle streams of subtle melodies and bright arpeggios, trickling down into a much larger riverbed of strings and deep chord structures.Nothing repeats itself all that much, but this is far from "jamming".A surprisingly fresh and fun take on a somewhat overexposed genre.Highly Recommended.
NNF219

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
NNF214 - The Deeep - Life Light (2010)

A1 Meadow Dusk
A2 Mudd
A3 Abyssal Plain Pt. 1
B1 Abyssal Plain Pt. 2
B2 Dream
B3 Slow Coaster

NNF is pretty consistent with their artistic output, especially in the last two years or so.Everything they release is sure to be quite inventive, unique, and visually stimulating.When I received this little gold tape a few weeks ago, I wasn't really sure what to expect.The album begins with a song called 'Meadow Dusk', a slow moving, synthesizer-powered escalator up into the black void.Isla Craig's deeply soothing, lush vocal passages soar above the twirling electro pulses, with a range that seems to be kind of never ending.She holds her notes out for a lengthy stretch at times, and uses a bit of a nice, controlled flutter when she want to.Some of these melodies are absolutely stunning.Things tend to drift into more various new and old waves from the last two decades or so, and subtly thump and beep away, just below her beautiful voice patterns.The duo also like to dip into more soft synths and acoustic bouts, if only for a few seconds.Wolfgang Nessel's seemingly unlimited source of electronic warble and keyboard interplay runs rampant throughout these songs, not necessarily keeping time, nor a steady pace, leaving the vocals to glue everything together.

I'd be lying if is said there aren't parts of this that are reminiscent of Lover's Rock era Sade swooning, a bit of Mum's trickling miniature melodies, or Broadcast's more ethereal moments on the recent Focus Group collaboration.But, The Deeep are indeed on their own wave, pulling from plenty of unique influences, but none of them are painfully clear, and it makes for an interesting and mysterious listen, to say the least.Compelling stuff.A fantastic debut.Watch for them in 2011.
NNF214

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Also here is most of the releases through #200. I couldn't remember the name of the forum seeing I haven't lurked it in damn near a year. They only post stuff with links for the ones out of print. If you can still buy them they are in red.

http://fangsandarrows.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138

That forum has a lot of good shit in general. Lots of Not Not Fun stuff and the music posted there is really experimental, weird, etc so listen with an open mind, or high, or both.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
Also here is most of the releases through #200. I couldn't remember the name of the forum seeing I haven't lurked it in damn near a year. They only post stuff with links for the ones out of print. If you can still buy them they are in red.

http://fangsandarrows.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138

That forum has a lot of good shit in general. Lots of Not Not Fun stuff and the music posted there is really experimental, weird, etc so listen with an open mind, or high, or both.
thanks for the new thread. damn they have a shitload of links. i might repost them anyway. also this blog has a lot of nnf:
http://rand0msh1t.blogspot.com/sear...-max=2009-11-19T00:03:00+03:00&max-results=20

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Various Artists - 14 Tracks: Not Not Not Not Fun

01. MARIA MINERVA : Unchain My Heart
02. High Wolf : Dream Is Good
03. Peaking Lights : All The Sun That Shines
04. PSYCHIC REALITY : ELLE / Elle Beat
05. CUTICLE : Flair
06. POCAHAUNTED : Riddim Queen
07. ENSEMBLE ECONOMIQUE : Red For The Sun
08. Xander Harris : Tanned Skin Dress
09. Pedro Magina : Shout In Your Face
10. Swanox : Cross The Water
11. Gypsy Treasures : Tadpole Walks Home
12. Holy Strays : Waves
13. Sex Worker : Without You (Couldn’t Be Alone)
14. The Deeep : Mudd (Grand Am Version)

LA's Not Not Fun is an incredibly prolific label dealing in all manner of outré psych, synth and noise music. Both NNF and their 100% Silk sublabel are lovingly curated by Amanda Brown (LA Vampires/Pocahaunted) and Britt Brown (Robedoor) whose tastes run the gamut of esoteric underground sounds from a rhizome of artists across the globe. With over 250 releases (and counting) on vinyl, cassette, and digital, they've shaped a parallel hypnagogic reality where masticated memes from Dub, '70s psychedelic rock, Kosmische, '80s MOR pop and '90s dance music converge under the protection of gauzy tape noise and distortion. The label's resolutely Lo-fi stance is commendable, but never feels forced. It's more that they represent this scene as it should be, with dilated ears, a sincere sense of psychedelia and implacable intent. In our selection we've largely drawn from their recent diversions into Pseudo-Pop and soundtrack-y themes, featuring many taken from their super-limited cassette releases. OK, yeah, we're a bit jealous of their eternal optimism and über-cool LA disposition, but when the music's this good, we'll get over it...
Download

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
NNF242 - Maria Minerva - Cabaret Cixous (2011)

01. These Days
02. Pirate's Tale
03. Luvcool
04. Once Upon
05. Honey Honey
06. Laulan Paikse Kaes
07. Soo High
08. I Luv Ctrl
09. Favourite Song (Italo Interlude)
10. Spiral
11. Ruff Trade

Download