Northwest What Is your definition of a music producer?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
I am interested in hearing peoples input on this topic as I see the title thrown around quite often. I have my own opinions on this but I would like to first open it up to discussion. So please share what your definition is and please lets keep this thread as un-drama filled as possible, I know thats a hard request for this forum..lol but lets try.

Nov 30, 2002
a music producer is the person that completes the project. you have X's album with all beats produced by Z.. Z is not the producer of that project. The producer IMO is the person that has the backing (financially), and is charge of most, if not all of the project. example P diddy/danity kane, Jay-Z/Kanye west (when he first started) etc etc

they pretty much specialize in the "GET ER DONE"

Jun 27, 2005
In the music industry, a record producer (or music producer) has many roles, among them controlling the recording sessions, coaching and guiding the musicians, organizing and scheduling production budget and resources, and supervising the recording, mixing and mastering processes. This has been a major function of producers since the inception of sound recording, but in the later half of the 20th century producers also took on a wider entrepreneurial role.

The music producer could in some cases be compared to the film director in that the producer's job is to create, shape and mold a piece of music in accordance with their vision for the album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer

Haven't seen it explained better than that. Notice it doesn't say anything like "ITS DA NIGGA DAT MADE DA BEAT"

Apr 7, 2004
a music producer is the person that completes the project. you have X's album with all beats produced by Z.. Z is not the producer of that project. The producer IMO is the person that has the backing (financially), and is charge of most, if not all of the project. example P diddy/danity kane, Jay-Z/Kanye west (when he first started) etc etc

they pretty much specialize in the "GET ER DONE"
That's a executive producer not a producer diddy doesn't even touch boards

Apr 14, 2003
I consider my boy Raw B a producer.... he does everything by himself. From the beats, to the rhymes/singing, to recording it to mixing it, every damn thang..... Plus he's the most talented cat I know.

On another note, I just opened up a ZZ Top cd.... its produced by a guy named Bill Ham for whatever productions.....
Obviously he didn't make the "beats". So what the hell did he do?!

Say my patna Raw B is recording a song with Shy Eazy singin on it, he's gonna tell him how he wants him to sing it. How he's supposed to sound, and the timing and shit like that... That's producing.. correct?

Pardon me for being blowed as fuck off some northwest good.

Jan 22, 2007
www.myspace.com
The guy who gets bagged on when a record tanks! hahaha
The wiki answer was pretty much dead on though there are so many aspects of production now that many people have a hand in the overall "production" of a record but the guy who get's to tell them all what to do is the producer and the guy who tells him what to tell them to do is the executive producer. hahaha

Jan 22, 2007
www.myspace.com
The guy who gets bagged on when a record tanks! hahaha
The wiki answer was pretty much dead on though there are so many aspects of production now that many people have a hand in the overall "production" of a record but the guy who get's to tell them all what to do is the producer and the guy who tells him what to tell them to do is the executive producer. hahaha