No No No....This Is what THE BAY needs to come up!!!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 15, 2005
for everyone to log off BART and quit thinkin they got some remedy for all these bay rappers like thay cant figure it on thier own..... if everyone quit suggesting what the bay NEEDs and spend more time actually doin somethin wit thier life and rap career maybe THEY would come up regardless of what the rest of a couple million people in a region are doin.......like the few who made it already......

Dec 6, 2005
people need to get our of the bay area limits and start promoting their music in other regions

real talk, if peeps can't do that then they shouldn't be on the rap hustle

Jul 6, 2005
What it takes for ANYONE to come up (in any category) is ......Focus, passion, and Desire or Hunger....DESPITE all else (Including haterism, groupies, gossip, forums, etc...).

I feel the siccness is all for entertainment purposes...you dead wrong if you feel a muthafucka or region will come up becuase "Bart" or any other forum is hatin' or not around.

Mar 15, 2005
i wasnt sayin BART should disapear im jus sayin all these cats thats actin like they got the answer aint helpin none by sittin up here postin a bunch a bullshit.....cuz like you said this is for entertainment purposes.....

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
I agree that there's too much talkin and not enough listening..

Overall the rap game is in a state of emergency, but Indie artists are the main one's struggling because there's not enough people willing to listen to many of their brands of music. Everybody coming out is the "hottest" "best artist" however in actuality many of them are making "regional" music. Regional music was the way to go and people were successful with it in the early 90's up until around 2002. After that, the market became more saturated than ever with the mainstream push and widespread acceptance of Hip Hop. More and more people that used to support regional artists, became rappers and producers themselves. Back when we started in 1997, music seemed much harder and was more of a challenge to make. There weren't all these shortcut beat making programs and there weren't too many makeshift studios. We used to record on ADAT and it was extremely expensive having to record at the studios with ADAT. We mixed one of our albums at Studio Ton's and that was expensive as well. But we took pride in doing it what was said to be the "right way." Now there's many ways to cut corners and drop albums faster. I think people oughta do a better job of promoting and advertising their projects. In this day and age, people oughta do more than just flyers. They need posters, snippet and promo cds, t-shirts and other gimmick items to familiarize people with the artist and product. Radio is much easier to get on nowadays as well... as opposed to years back. Now we have homegrown talent hours on various Valley stations and it's opening doors for lesser knowns. Internet marketing is a must and is huge as well however you can't dwell on message boards and most of that feedback. Get out there in the streets... get to car shows, festivals, carnivals, fairs, concerts, downtown hotspots in various towns etc. and make a name for yourself.
We used to sell a shitload of music just because of these little things we would do. turn a function into a makeshift autograph signing. Make it seem bigger than it really is. A lot of people will buy into it. If the music is good, then that will be a huge part of the equation as well. Sell your shit at affordable prices in the streets as well. We'd dump cds for $5 tops, because more people were willing to take the chance at $5 a cd. We'd sell 100 @ $5 a pop... which to me is better than sellin 26 @ $10 a pop. Slow dime or quick nickel. Your choice. oh yea... Don't quit your day job. Good luck to everyone out there with the drive to do it right. just my 2 pennies.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mir-store.com
^Keith - I love that you bring up Adats - but I was even angrier when I had to use 60 dollar REELS and you'd get a dude in the lab that wasn't a one take jake in the booth - back then a bad night in the studio cost you 700-1G - now everybody and their best friend raps, no one has the balls to tell each other they suck, everyone thinks they are the CEO of an ant hill's empire - it's all bad. I would say that a dozen of us old schoolers should have a panel discussion for the new folks, something to allow them to avoid this money pit but I guarantee no one would show.

Mar 15, 2005
i feel yall though....i wasnt into the production side bacc then so i cant complain about how much waste a rapper caused money wise for adats n such....but even recordin on the computer now its still a pain in the ass to deal wit them cats that wanna come in and freestyle or cant spit thier shit once the mic is on.....it wastes time and gets old really fast...can waste money too cuz its taken away from studio time you could be sellin to someone else and makin some scrill off of.....

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
wow... I forgot you guys had reels! I remember that shit.

At one time we were actually contemplating using reels at Studio Ton's!

Yeah I damn sure hated wasting studio... what was worse was cats that came in on the clock and were still tryin to write. We were payin for the time blocks and these dudes jus wanted to play the music and write! Do that shit at home!

I'd entertain speaking on a panel. Great idea Gabe.

Nov 14, 2002
I still got a ADAT of a album i did years ago...lol...i been lookin for a studio to dump the tracks to protools but nobody uses ADATS anymore.and everything og MS is talkin about is some real shit!when killa valley promoted a album,they really got out there and promoted that shit 100%.

Mar 4, 2006
I used to always write before I go to the lab. But lately i been writing in the lab. Im pretty busy and yall know life is hectic. So sometimes it's good to just get out of my usual environment and go to the studio and write there.
But I write quick though. I can write 2 verses and a hook within an hour.
But some cats take hella long to write.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
BIGCHILL said:
I still got a ADAT of a album i did years ago...lol...i been lookin for a studio to dump the tracks to protools but nobody uses ADATS anymore.and everything og MS is talkin about is some real shit!when killa valley promoted a album,they really got out there and promoted that shit 100%.
china in san jo gots uses adat still

Feb 4, 2005
2many wannabe rappers & producers not enough people supporting artists that actually have talent.

That's just one of the many factors that is stopping the bay from hitting the top.