Nio the Gift: Angels and Demons- What is the problem Bay Area Rap fans....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2008
Props to Fruitvale Mac, good post. That's how I feel. (couldn't figure out how to click the props tho)

Anyone know if there is a clean version of this song or if he has any radio friendly joints?
I have two clean versions.. this song and Grateful.. message me your email and I'll send em to you

Jul 4, 2011
If there's one Bay rapper that I would ask Bay Area rap fans "what's the problem with yall" about though, it's Blast Holiday easy. He sounds like a young Fed-X but more lyrical... he's the rawest member out of Bearfaced period.

[video=youtube;WpchOdG9hWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpchOdG9hWk[/video]

[video=youtube;Scudieh9owY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scudieh9owY[/video]

Are yall hearing that shit? Ain't nobody in the Bay fucking with Blast other than Gully.

Oh, and does anybody know what beat that first song is? I've been trying to remember it for 10 minutes now... couldn't think of it to save my life lol.

Dec 2, 2006
I find it hard to believe that artists with Nio the Gift's abilities can't get off the ground so to speak. If the fans bought his album they would come looking for him. I agree with alot of yall. Too much stuff to go back and quote. Good feedback.

I am curious what these "industry insiders", managers, etc. really do for these artists. What is the plan being excuted to push an artist, how many people are really on the team, who is doing what, who is making sure x, y, z are getting done, etc. Alot of this shit is common sense,imo. I mean if you don't have funds, solicit investors. If you need a team, build one. Majors are always looking for artists that can make them a buck I am sure. Do people really know how to go about securing a deal? Not saying I do for sure, but common sense tells me it is about the team and what you are presenting. If a label really got it together, they could solicit a roster with a plan and probably get atleast a sit down with the right people. The problem I seen first hand was the unrealistic expectations or just flat out misleading people in general. Rather than work together towards a common goal, everyone seems to try and one up the next man. We claim the industry steals are game, but who really has the game? As a fan, I would like to see a Bay artist on the radio, doing shows overseas, getting the shine they deserve. But it is never going to happen doing the same thing as everyone else because guess what, it doesn't work. Put the egos aside, secure some talent, build a team, and roll the dice. It cant be about the money, it has to be about the foundation. Rome wasn't built overnight.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

I don't think I have the all the answers, but I think if a little more common sense was applied, these conversations would be a thing of the past. Is it the Bay fame you are after or is it a music career? I think alot of artists need to ask themselves that question.

And no, I don't think I have the answers, I just think people need to get on their job and quit making excuses. Part timing anything never nets full time results. I wish you all the best of luck, just don't let artists in their prime miss out on their opportnity....

There is a difference between trying to secure a deal and running and indie label. I think alot try and do a little of both and it just doesn't work that way, imo.

Dec 2, 2006
I bought the EP they put out last year and I got the first Panabay mixtape. Songs like this:

[video=youtube;FLbknc86SIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbknc86SIQ[/video]

[video=youtube;rj3p66JnUPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3p66JnUPA[/video]

[video=youtube;uDSv99a3luo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDSv99a3luo[/video]

Are what I'm talking about. They're not mobb rappers per say, but they're not backpack either. They're in the middle, which is what I was saying. They make songs for the streets but they're more than street rappers.
Damn, this man is in a class all his own for real. Thanks for putting me up on game. I would have over looked him.

Jul 4, 2011
For the longest, I've seen on these boards where people talk about The Jacka and how he's gonna bring the Bay back or put it on the map. Don't get me wrong, I bump The Jacka and been a fan since the C-Bo presents Mob Figaz album and his self titled album, but I feel that he's overrated on here. Plus I've been livin' outside of the Bay for the past 12 years so if he's gettin' good support, great, but there's other artists like the ones mentioned in the OP that should be gettin' similar support.
I was going to respond to this post earlier but I forgot to.

I can't speak for other people, but this:

[video=youtube;KC8nPcMbF2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8nPcMbF2o[/video]

[video=youtube;ob7uIX4R2LY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7uIX4R2LY[/video]

[video=youtube;VrzNmHqUV7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzNmHqUV7Y[/video]

is why I consider The Jacka one of the best rappers to ever bless the mic. He's able to take the conflicting realities of his own life and put them together in every verse. He's not capable of making a song or even a verse that is only gangsta or only conscious or only religious... they come together in every verse because the reality is that they all come together in his life all the time whether he wants them to or not. The vast majority of rappers are only able to be one thing at a time and really can only do one thing well. Nobody would take a conscious song from Gucci Mane seriously because he's a street rapper. Even "versatile" artists like Jadakiss can only talk about one thing at a time... one day he'll make a song like "Why" that's conscious but make a song like "We Run This Shit" the next day that's the dead opposite. The listener understands that a song from a rapper like Jadakiss or Gucci is going to be about one topic from start to finish. With a rapper like Jacka, that's not the case. He represents who he is as a person in every song... he's not trying to capture a certain aspect of his life or a certain emotion, he's just looking in the mirror and writing down what he sees. In every song, he shows that he's human; people aren't just gangstas or just doctors or just black or just white or just rich or just poor, they're the sum of everything they've ever experienced in their lives.

IMO, it's his ability to spit his humanity on the mic that has made him one of the most respected artists to ever come out of the Bay, and not just in the streets; he has just as large of an underground following. There aren't too many poets or writers who can do that, let alone rappers. Speaking of poetry, another part of Jacka's appeal that can't be denied is that he's not working with the average deck... he clearly can write. Listen to "Thrones and Crowns" (the second song) and tell me that any rapper could have written that.

Sep 25, 2008

is why I consider The Jacka one of the best rappers to ever bless the mic. He's able to take the conflicting realities of his own life and put them together in every verse. He's not capable of making a song or even a verse that is only gangsta or only conscious or only religious... they come together in every verse because the reality is that they all come together in his life all the time whether he wants them to or not. The vast majority of rappers are only able to be one thing at a time and really can only do one thing well. Nobody would take a conscious song from Gucci Mane seriously because he's a street rapper. Even "versatile" artists like Jadakiss can only talk about one thing at a time... one day he'll make a song like "Why" that's conscious but make a song like "We Run This Shit" the next day that's the dead opposite. The listener understands that a song from a rapper like Jadakiss or Gucci is going to be about one topic from start to finish. With a rapper like Jacka, that's not the case. He represents who he is as a person in every song... he's not trying to capture a certain aspect of his life or a certain emotion, he's just looking in the mirror and writing down what he sees. In every song, he shows that he's human; people aren't just gangstas or just doctors or just black or just white or just rich or just poor, they're the sum of everything they've ever experienced in their lives.

IMO, it's his ability to spit his humanity on the mic that has made him one of the most respected artists to ever come out of the Bay, and not just in the streets; he has just as large of an underground following. There aren't too many poets or writers who can do that, let alone rappers. Speaking of poetry, another part of Jacka's appeal that can't be denied is that he's not working with the average deck... he clearly can write. Listen to "Thrones and Crowns" (the second song) and tell me that any rapper could have written that.
I can respect that, the second song was deep. Shouldn't have put that song with PA though, he one of my favorite rappers... medallions!! I'm not gonna argue that the man can write, but for me maybe it's how he gets his point across or his delivery. I'll listen sometimes and I feel like he's being lazy on a track and it gets kinda boring. That's the only way I can put it and certain songs like that he might be saying some real spit, but it'll get skipped cause it's not entertaining.

Here's a song I've thought been dope for a minute, kept simple, but on some real spit. Don't know what else he put out or if it's the same dude featured on Young Lay's second album, but always thought he should've been had a CD out.

[video=youtube;uuvo_Xn2bA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvo_Xn2bA8[/video]

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Jacka is one of my favorite rappers of all time F.Mac, but he definitely fell off, as sad as that is. I think if he did a project completely produced by Nick Peace, it would be amazing. Right now tho, he's just trying to appease his "large" audience with minimal effort.

Jul 4, 2011
I can respect that, the second song was deep. Shouldn't have put that song with PA though, he one of my favorite rappers... medallions!! I'm not gonna argue that the man can write, but for me maybe it's how he gets his point across or his delivery. I'll listen sometimes and I feel like he's being lazy on a track and it gets kinda boring. That's the only way I can put it and certain songs like that he might be saying some real spit, but it'll get skipped cause it's not entertaining.

Here's a song I've thought been dope for a minute, kept simple, but on some real spit. Don't know what else he put out or if it's the same dude featured on Young Lay's second album, but always thought he should've been had a CD out.

[video=youtube;uuvo_Xn2bA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvo_Xn2bA8[/video]
That song was dope, I never heard that before.

Jul 4, 2011
Jacka is one of my favorite rappers of all time F.Mac, but he definitely fell off, as sad as that is. I think if he did a project completely produced by Nick Peace, it would be amazing. Right now tho, he's just trying to appease his "large" audience with minimal effort.
Real shit... I can't even listen to The Indictment or Flight Risk. It's not that they're garbage, it's that they're garbage for him.

drewski.kalonji

Shark Finning & Grinning
May 17, 2002
Murky Bay Waters, CA

[video=youtube;KC8nPcMbF2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8nPcMbF2o[/video]

[video=youtube;ob7uIX4R2LY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7uIX4R2LY[/video]

[video=youtube;VrzNmHqUV7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzNmHqUV7Y[/video]

I respect the insight that's actually the major grab i search for in music. Human life is that nice summer breeze when your bbqing with the folks as well as the sharp pain of seeing close ones die, that innocent school crush as well as juggling bills and barely making rent, that morning blunt etc. lol.

Jacka's music shows that while so many folks miss that with their flow. It's funny cause I've been hooked on Jamaican music for a decade plus for that reason. For such a small island most of their artists are like that, touching on a lot of topics.