Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Seven players who won't be selected by the 49ers at 29

Niners GM Scot McCloughan has a scheduled press gathering tomorrow, just two days before the draft. Everybody - myself included - will be reading between the lines and searching for clues. We probably should not try too hard.

After all, everyone thought they caught Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland in a Freudian slip last week when he spoke to the media about the No. 1 overall selection.

"This is the first pick in the draft," Ireland said. "This guy is going to be -- you hope that he's a pillar of your defense for a long time."

Ah-ha!

The Dolphins were clearly going to take a defensive player with the No. 1 overall pick, right?

Oh, wait.

The club took Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long. But maybe they plan to convert Long to the other side of the ball after signing him to a reported five-year, $57.75 million deal that includes $30 million in guaranteed money. (Or maybe they thought they signed Chris Long.)

One of the general rules as draft time approaches -- especially for teams picking at the end of the first round -- is that common perception is almost always wrong. When the same players start popping up on mock drafts, it's usually a sign that some misinformation is out there.

That is why I would be surprised to see any of these seven names called when the 49ers select at No. 29:

--Louisville QB Brian Brohm: On second thought, he might get picked at No. 29. But it certainly will not be the 49ers doing the picking. Maybe the 49ers move back a few slots in a trade, allowing another team to swoop in to get Brohm. The 49ers are committed in 2008 to the quarterbacks on their roster. The last thing they need for this season is to start from scratch with a rookie quarterback.

--Notre Dame DT Trevor Laws: He's bright and has a motor that does not stop. He might be a very good player. Heck, maybe somebody takes him in the first round. But the more I think about it, the more I don't see it being the 49ers. It just seems he is too much in the mold of Anthony Adams, whom the 49ers felt did not fit into their defense.

--Cal WR DeSean Jackson: It is rare to find a mock draft in which he is not already chosen by the 29th pick. I'm not ruling it out. Even if it is an outside shot, there is a chance Jackson could be available when the 49ers pick. Do they take him? I don't think so. A lot of his focus has been to put on weight leading up to the draft. He's up to 175. With all the work incumbent on receivers during training camp, it'll be difficult for him to maintain his weight and remain healthy. I can see the 49ers being scared off by his size and questions whether he can hold up physically.

--USC OT Sam Baker: This guy is all over the board. On that TV mock of last week, they had him going No. 14 to the Bears. OK, that doesn't seem right. Even at 29, I think it's high. Perhaps he gets in the conversation a little if we're talking No. 39.

--Boston College OT Gosder Cherilus: Like some of these guys I've mentioned, he might already be gone. But let's say he is not. By all accounts, he was a dominant right tackle as a junior. As a senior, he was a so-so left tackle. He surrendered 5.5 sacks and was called for seven penalties in his final season. Hmmm. If I'm taking an offensive lineman in the first round of the draft, I'm going to want a guy who excelled at the college level regardless of where he played.

--Penn State LB Dan Connor: He is linebacker U's all-time leading tackler and described as a player who would be set in the 49ers' lineup for the next 10 years alongside Patrick Willis. It seems like a nice, safe pick. Who wants safe when you can do better? Remember, this would be a pick to take over at the "ted" linebacker. If the 49ers go with a linebacker here, it's either Tennessee's Jerod Mayo (probably long gone) or Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton.

--Auburn OLB Quentin Groves: Opinions on him vary dramatically. There is talk that he could go to the Jaguars or Steelers earlier in the first round. Some are of the opinion he could be there for the 49ers at No. 39 if they waited. Last week, I choose Groves in a mock draft. He seems to be a popular pick - too popular, probably. I'd say he has the best chance of becoming a 49er of any of the players mentioned but, still, I don't expect it to happen. (OK, some will say, "What, your only reasoning for the 49ers not taking Groves is because a lot of people believe this is where he's going?" Yep, that's about right.)

McCloughan will probably be asked about some of those seven players tomorrow. I doubt he will offer too many clues. He might come right out and say the team is not going to take Brohm. But if quizzed about the others, he'll probably say something along the lines of "He's a dang-good football player. Will we consider him? Sure."

At the end of the day, I might just play my recorder backward to search for subliminal messages.

After reading the tea leaves on Thursday, I plan to take a wild swing in the dark to expertly produce a list of players the 49ers might want on the team.

And, by the way, I reserve the right to exhume one or more of the guys from today's "Will Not Take" List.

By the way, here's a save the date. On Sunday, June 1, at World of Sports in San Jose, there will be a booksigning of "San Francisco 49ers: Where Have You Gone." The event is a build-up to a gala event honoring R.C. Owens in late-September. Among the former 49ers who have committed to being there are Frank Nunley, Eason Ramson, Cedrick Hardman and Delvin Williams. I'll have more information as the date nears.

Aug 9, 2006
who is better ?

dont worry, i'll wait.
jarred allen may of been the best PASS RUSHING de in the leauge LAST year...but to say he is the BEST OVERALL DE is the stupidest thing ive heard.....ive seen him countless times (the very few cheifs games i watch) OVERRUN running backs......he has a taste of gettin qbs but his run stuffing abilitys are something that he LACKS.....off top there is 3 des that come to mind that are better OVERALL

no order

richard seymoure
luis castillo
dwight freeney (even though he overruns rbs as well)

Mar 24, 2006
jarred allen may of been the best PASS RUSHING de in the leauge LAST year...but to say he is the BEST OVERALL DE is the stupidest thing ive heard.....ive seen him countless times (the very few cheifs games i watch) OVERRUN running backs......he has a taste of gettin qbs but his run stuffing abilitys are something that he LACKS.....off top there is 3 des that come to mind that are better OVERALL

no order

richard seymoure
luis castillo
dwight freeney (even though he overruns rbs as well)
dude.

im lookin' at all those guys career stats including Taylor's and comparing them to Jared's....not 1 of them has EVER gotten 65 solo tackles like Allen has got in 1 season, not even 55 solo tackles like his 2nd best season. Even 48 solo tackles which is his 3rd best is better then all three of those guys besides Taylor. The sacks are not even close when it comes to Seymour and Castillo....far from close, only Freeney and Taylor are up there with Jared when it comes to sacks. i'll post the stats so you can see for yourself pal, obviously you must have some deepdown hatred for Jared because the guys you mentioned are not even on Allens level when it comes to being compared as being an allaround good DE with him, only Taylor can. With that I will refrain from saying Jared is the "best" all around DE in the game today UNTIL Taylor hangs it up, but right now he is clearly the 2nd best DE in the league HANDS DOWN!

Allen>Seymour
Allen>Freeney
Allen>Castillo? LOL
Taylor>Allen (for now)

check the stats for yourself if you want.

Allen's stats = http://www.nfl.com/players/jaredallen/careerstats?id=ALL454745
Taylor's stats = http://www.nfl.com/players/jasontaylor/careerstats?id=TAY338550
Freeney's stats = http://www.nfl.com/players/dwightfreeney/careerstats?id=FRE417537
Seymour's stats = http://www.nfl.com/players/richardseymour/careerstats?id=SEY682400
Castillo's stats LOL = http://www.nfl.com/players/luiscastillo/careerstats?id=CAS761362

try again Moore

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
49ers player arrested in San Jose on suspicion of drunk in public, resisting arrest
By Mark Gomez
Mercury News
Donald Strickland, a reserve defensive back for the 49ers, was arrested earlier this month in downtown San Jose after allegedly running away from police who were trying to arrest him for being drunk in public, officers said today. Strickland, 27, was booked April 13 on suspicion of public intoxication and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, according to police spokesman Jermaine Thomas.

Aaron Salkin, a 49ers spokesman, said the team "is aware of the situation and is still gathering information. We will comment after we have more facts." The 49ers did not immediately return a phone call today seeking comment.

On April 13, around 1:50 a.m., police officers spotted Strickland in an altercation with another group of men in downtown San Jose's nightclub district, according to Thomas. Officers saw Strickland near the corner of Second and San Carlos streets being held back by others in his group and believed a fight was about to break out.

The two officers intervened and smelled alcohol on Strickland's breath. Thomas said Strickland "was being belligerent" with the officers, who then tried to place him under arrest. Instructed to walk toward the officers, Strickland ran away, police said.

Strickland didn't get far. The 5-foot, 10-inch and 187-pound football player made it for about half a block before he fell down, according to Thomas. After a brief struggle with officers, Strickland got up and ran again.

"That's when we took him into custody,"
Advertisement
Thomas said.

Strickland, who signed with the 49ers as a free agent in October, 2007, played in 13 games last season, including four starts. Strickland, used primarily as a nickel and dime defensive back, recorded 33 tackles last season.

Strickland, who played college football at Colorado, attended the NFL Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program at Harvard Business School in the 2006 offseason and the Stanford program in 2007. He is due in court May 28..

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Baas to undergo surgery, expected to miss part of training camp

The 49ers' offensive line - already thin as it is - will be without a starter for a good portion of the offseason and into training camp.

David Baas, 26, projected as the starter at right guard, is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. The surgery could happen as early as tomorrow. Baas is expected to miss part of training camp. He is scheduled to be ready for the start of the regular season, said club spokesman Aaron Salkin.

The injury is a major blow to the 49ers, who do not have much depth on the offensive line. The 49ers are expected to take an offensive lineman with one of their top picks in the draft.

Baas started nine games at right guard last season after Justin Smiley sustained his season-ending shoulder injury. Baas was the No. 33 overall pick in the 2005 draft. He started just five games his first two seasons -- all as a rookie.

He was scheduled to be a starter as a rookie, but he sustained a torn hamstring muscle leading up to his first training camp. Because he missed most of the exhibition season, Baas was only able to move into the starting lineup later in the season after injuries.

Baas did not start for the club in 2006 after the 49ers signed Larry Allen, whom the Cowboys had released. Allen, an unrestricted free agent, has not informed the 49ers whether he plans to play a 15th NFL season.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Niners brass discuss 49ers topics before draft

Niners GM Scot McCloughan held a press briefing today - just two days prior to the draft - at the team's practice facility in Santa Clara. In the past, the luncheon was held as many as 10 days before the draft to provide better timing for everyone's pre-draft articles.

The good part is we won't be rehashing all of McCloughan's comments for a week, as everyone tries to figure out where the 49ers are going with their selections this weekend.

Coach Mike Nolan was at the gathering. He did not appear at the podium, but he had lunch with the writers while McCloughan went back to his office to return phone calls from teams talking about potential draft-day trades:

Here are some notable bits and pieces from McCloughan:

--He said the chances of the 49ers moving up from No. 29 to select a player targeted were "slim." There's a better chance the 49ers would move back, if teams are intent on getting back into the late-first round.

--When asked if ILB or a rush LB is more of a need. McCloughan said he thought ILB, because they club will be looking to replace a starter, Derek Smith. He said because the 49ers play a 3-4, they're always looking for more linebackers that most other clubs. Linebackers also make up the core of a team's special-teams units.

--McCloughan said the team would have to "get lucky" to be in position to select a starting offensive lineman in the first round. He said there are only four or five offensive linemen tabbed as rookie starters.

--When asked about a possible trade for Chad Johnson, he said, "I don't think so."

--McCloughan said Auburn OLB Quentin Groves is a "unique" player because of his ability to fit into a 3-4 defense. He said he likes his size and speed, and the fact that he was productive in the SEC. (McCloughan added 38 percent of NFL players are from the southeast.)

--The WR class is not as good as it's been the past two years. But he said the talent is good in the mid rounds.

--McCloughan said the 49ers and veteran LB Takeo Spikes are sitting tight to "see where the draft goes." The 49ers could pursue signing Spikes if they feel they haven't selected a starting ILB in the draft. Spikes, meanwhile, is waiting to go to a team that has an opening in the starting lineup.

--Larry Allen has not told the 49ers of his intentions. Allen is a free agent who might retire after 14 seasons. If he returns, McCloughan said he would compete for a starting job.

--With David Baas injured while weight-lifting, Tony Wragge is currently slated to step in at right guard. Baas is tentatively scheduled to have surgery on Friday and will miss part of training camp. The 49ers expect Baas to be ready for the start of the regular season.

--McCloughan is getting more calls than ever before from teams about the trade possibilities. He said he's spoken with four teams, and "there'll probably be four more when I get upstairs."

--He did not rule out taking a QB in the first round, but he said there would have to be long discussion. He said smart organizations are always on the lookout for QBs.

--McCloughan said the class of offensive tackles and running backs is very good. He said tight ends are strong in the mid-rounds, while cornerback is good. The draft is lacking in safeties and interior offensive linemen.

--The 49ers last year had 17 players ranked as first-round choices, McCloughan said. Now, they have 19 players at that value (after Jake Long was signed). When asked if all 19 players could be off the board when the 49ers select, McCloughan said, "It hasn't happened before. We set the board for the 49ers."

Nolan then met with several reporters while he chowed down on some tasty grilled salmon.

--He said right tackle Jonas Jennings is working out in Atlanta, but he fully expects him to attend next weekend's mandatory full-squad minicamp. Nolan said he gave Jennings the OK to remain back there to rehab and focus on what he needs to do. At first Nolan said there was no personal issue involved, but he later corrected himself, saying Jennings was also dealing with issues surrounding his sick mother.

Nolan said Jennings was "more reasonable than I thought" when informed that he would be moving to right tackle. Jennings started at right tackle for the Bills his first two seasons. "He recognizes that he has a durability issue," Nolan said.

--Manny Lawson will be limited during next week's minicamp, as the 49ers are taking it cautious. Lawson is coming off ACL surgery. He said Alex Smith will be do some stuff, but probably will not be asked to throw vertical routes. Smith is rehabbing from shoulder surgery in December.

--When asked about where WR Jason Hill would fit into this draft, Nolan said he compares favorably to the WRs the club has on its draft board as third-rounders. Nolan said he often got excited about what the club had in Hill, but then Hill would get injured. He said Hill would've contributed last season if he had remained healthy.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Pre-draft Notes 'N News

Here are some notes from today's news conference with Scot McCloughan and Mike Nolan:

-Guard David Baas tore his pectoral muscle last year and will undergo surgery. The 49ers are hopeful he'll be ready by the start of training camp. McCloughan said Baas's injury will not make him look harder for a guard during the draft this weekend. Tony Wragge will take over Baas's right guard spot in the team's mandatory minicamp next weekend after the draft.
Jonas Jennings is converting to right tackle on his own.

Jonas Jennings is converting to right tackle on his own.

-McCloughan said any trade considerations (for Miami's Jason Taylor for example) wouldn't be entertained until after the draft. He also suggested the team might re-connect with linebacker Takeo Spikes after the draft as well. Spikes visited the facility last month and is also weighing offers. If signed, Spikes would probably start for the 49ers at the "ted" linebacker spot, and starting is a selling point, according to McCloughan, for the former Pro Bowl player.

-Nolan said tackle Jonas Jennings is working out on his own in Atlanta and that personal problems aren't preventing him from taking part in the off-season program. Nolan also said Jennings reacted well to being told he was moving to right tackle. "It's difficult to play left tackle with a durability issue," Nolan said as the reason for swapping Jennings and Joe Staley.

-The 49ers targeted 19 first-round players they hope will fall to them. Last year, they targeted 17. McCloughan expects one of the 19 to fall to them at no. 29. He said he's never had a draft when all of his targeted players went in the first round.

-McCloughan said a quarterback, who "will be a good football player in the NFL" could be fetched after the 4th round.

-McCloughan talked quickly Thursday because he had calls to make to teams about the draft. He said he had discussed deals with four teams, and had calls to make to four other clubs. Teams are doing more advanced work because the time between picks has been reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes.

-As expected, the 49ers probably won't be trading up, but trading back could be possible.

-McCloughan said he didn't want to talk about individual players, but when asked about visiting Auburn defensive end Quentin Groves's workout, McCloughan said, "The reason I went to look at him is because he does intrigue us." McCloughan said. Groves also visited the team.

-As far as wide receivers, McCloughan said there aren't many at the top of the draft, but that the class fills out in the middle rounds.

-Coach Mike Nolan was asked about last year's third-round pick, wide receiver Jason Hill. He said he compares with the three receivers they have as possible targets in the third round. He also said he wanted to use Hill more last year, but that minor injuries kept him out of the line up.

-Nolan and McCloughan said they haven't heard from Larry Allen and they are not planning on him for the season. "If Larry Allen wants to be a 49er, he will be a 49er," McCloughan said.

-Nolan said linebacker Manny Lawson and quarterback Alex Smith will be limited in next weekend's mandatory minicamp.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
idk, i dont think Strickland will get cut cuz of this, i mean it happened more than a week ago, and just leaked, so obviously the team knew, it isnt like he was driving or anything.... + if u ever been to downtown san jose and seen their nightlife and how hating the cops are there, you would understand this, im sure Trajik, can C/s this too lol

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
idk, i dont think Strickland will get cut cuz of this, i mean it happened more than a week ago, and just leaked, so obviously the team knew, it isnt like he was driving or anything.... + if u ever been to downtown san jose and seen their nightlife and how hating the cops are there, you would understand this, im sure Trajik, can C/s this too lol
fuck yeah

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
hell yeah pigs be hating hard out there if its really crackin they shut down all streets and make you hit the freeway hatin ass pigs