Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 12, 2006
How the fuck has Joe Staley been signed til 2017? Lmao
The San Francisco 49ers signed tackle Joe Staley to a six-year contract extension through 2017, the team announced Thursday.

Staley will receive $42 million for the six additional years and the new money could grow to $45 million depending on how he plays, a source told ESPN.com. Staley is expected to receive $18 million in guarantees.

The unusual part of this deal is that the team did it after Staley's first two seasons. Normally, a team wants its draft choice to play out most of his rookie contract. The 49ers felt so good about Staley's future that they decided to do the deal now and lock him up for the future.

"Joe Staley is the type of player we want to continue to add to this football team," general manager Scot McCloughan said. "He's a tough, versatile, no-nonsense type of guy who wants to do whatever it takes to help his team win football games. Joe is a consummate team player and has been completely unselfish in the way he has approached his role on this team. We know what he means to the success of the 49ers and getting this extension done puts us in a very nice position for the future."

Staley was the 28th pick in the 2007 draft. He has started 32 games.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Nov 14, 2004
I think the jacobs or dixon could be FB's, thats a big ass backfield, n if they load up the o-line in those run formations they use i dont think theres no way we cant convert on 3rd n short. and im pretty sure cartwright is just gonna be a ST player kinda like mike rob when we had him

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Brandon Jacobs is a GREAT signing, seeing as hes the 3rd back/short yard back. Dixon has to be worried about this. both of them can cover as a FB too tho imo

Feb 12, 2004
^Except that we were a play away from being in the superbowl a couple months ago. Our team is reloaded as fuck and ready to blow some shit up.

I miss seeing this team play on sundays especially the defense. So fucking physical and relentless.

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
The niners are gonna be better on paper this year and more than likely have a worse record... Road games against green bay, new.Orleans, new England and the jets... NFL hates us...

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
I welcome those games because the Niners still have to win people's respect. The Niners had a relatively easy schedule (and still beat good teams) last year and had other mitigating factors for why they won 13 games. But how much better will it feel if we beat those teams. I don't see why we can't have the best defense, and a mid-ranked offense, especially if we get our run blocking to be consistent as fuck.

1 year deals are perfect for the Niners. I don't blame them for signing Braylon Edwards because they also cut him at the right time. The same can go for anyone else.