Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 12, 2006
we working him out right? i dono i suppose it is a good business move but im not a peyton fan

no sometime during the week harbaugh worked him out in North Carolina, 49ers do a good job of being stealth. Makes sense why alex hasnt signed him and manning both have the same agent. So im sure Alex go word a lot sooner then the general public and media.

Dec 4, 2006
ha ha ..

all you delusional motherfuckers should have been following my lead!

What I tell you all from the get? It's pretty obvious somebody was not satisfied with Alex Smith performance in the championship game..

A team can not win with a limited QB that limits the awesome WCO playbook .....

Flynn or Peyton would fix that problem..

what Alex Smith can't do in the red zone, those two will fix the problem right way...

If the 49ers acquire another WR, I'm already thinking Manning or Flynn will be throwing at them, Alex Smith can't do the job..

like my homie Psydal said .. "why settle for a C+ QB, when you can settle for a A+ QB" ..

Jan 12, 2006
Five things to consider as the San Francisco 49ers emerge as a team with interest in free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning:

Tom Condon's involvement. The agent represents Manning and unsigned 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. Manning is obviously Condon's top priority at the moment. He was in a unique position to facilitate the 49ers' involvement in Manning, thanks to his influence over Smith's contract status and the places Manning might consider most seriously. Condon could be manipulating the process in an attempt to gain maximum leverage, first for Manning, and secondarily for Smith.

Divisional dynamics. The 49ers have a direct interest in keeping Manning away from the NFC West. Their emergence as a possible destination delays the process. That is bad for the Cardinals, who must decide by 4 p.m. ET Friday whether to keep incumbent quarterback Kevin Kolb with a $7 million bonus. Whether or not the 49ers are serious candidates for Manning, their involvement later in the process works against the one NFC West team to defeat the 49ers last season, Arizona.

The 49ers like Alex Smith. Coach Jim Harbaugh has repeatedly expressed his affinity for Smith. Taking a look at another veteran quarterback would threaten the relationship between the two, but Manning is a special case. Looking into a four-time MVP quarterback and future Hall of Famer doesn't qualify as a personal affront to a quarterback with one winning season on his resume. The assumption here is that Harbaugh has communicated the team's intentions to Smith, either directly or through Condon, and that the 49ers feel comfortable in their ability to move forward with Smith if Manning does not come to San Francisco.

The fit with Harbaugh. The assumption with Manning has been that he would want considerable control over the offense. How much control would Harbaugh, himself a former quarterback with strong belief in his system, adjust for Manning? I tend to think Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman would find a way to make it work. They could sell him on a strong emphasis on the ground game, which could help keep Manning healthy. Dallas Clark was a star in Indianapolis when Manning was there. Imagine what Vernon Davis might be able to do with Manning.

What about Seattle? The Seahawks expressed interest in Manning, but failed to secure a meeting with him. If Manning did land in San Francisco, Smith would be a natural candidate to play for the Seahawks. We're a long ways off from that happening at this point, but it's something to consider if the 49ers are shown to be serious about chasing after Manning. The Seahawks had interest in Smith previously.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/61101/manningwatch-five-thoughts-on-49ers

Sep 15, 2009
What if Niners told Alex that they were gonna troll just to keep Peyton out of the NFC west? Niners showing interest made it harder for Cardinals to keep pursing him especially since they had to decide whether or not to give Kolb his $7 million bonus, just 5 minutes ago at 1pm PT

Jan 12, 2006
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-his-new-contract-to-match-his-old-contract/

Peyton Manning wants his new contract to match his old contract

When we passed along the report from the Denver Post that Peyton Manning was seeking a five-year, $60 million contract, Florio noted that it seemed a little light.

That’s because it was.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post has now updated his report and said that what Manning is actually seeking is a contract like the one he signed last year with the Colts, which was for five years and $90 million, with a whopping $61.8 million in the first two years.

That’s a whole lot of money, but Klis writes that both the Broncos and Titans are fine with that contract, if that’s what it takes to land Manning. If the reports that the 49ers are the third finalist for Manning are true, presumably that means the 49ers are fine with that contract, too.

Some reports have suggested that Manning’s contract will be structured to protect the team that signs him in the event that his neck prevents him from playing in 2012, as it did in 2011. But if Manning is back in the NFL this year, as he expects to be, he also expects to be one of the league’s highest-paid players. And the teams that covet him are fine with that.
nevermind, pass on this guy. Next year we will have to gut our team due to mannings contract.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Henne does make sense in a way, but Flynn hasn't signed YET....

Alex Smith agent made it clear that Alex Smith wants a 4-5 year deal worth $14 mill year...

the 49ers offered him a $8-9 three years..
If that is true, Smith needs to understand he has been a bust for the majority of his stay and accept something lower.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-his-new-contract-to-match-his-old-contract/

nevermind, pass on this guy. Next year we will have to gut our team due to mannings contract.
that's asking for alot at his age

Sep 15, 2009
I would take Alex over Flynn if it came down to it. Flynn = Kolb. He only played, what, 2 games? At least Alex is familiar with the system. I would definitely take Peyton tho as long as he doesn't leave us broke. I'm not willing to lose key guys because Manning took up all the cap room

Dec 4, 2006
lmao@taking Alex Smith over Flynn ...

I believe the Packers use a WCO playbook as well...so I'm sure Flynn is more familiar with it...either way, Flynn is a better field reader and can reach deep threat WR's ...

Dec 4, 2006
^AND YOURE MAKING THAT ASSUMPTION OFF ONE GAME YOU HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY?
[video=youtube;ErkF6geqltA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErkF6geqltA&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;_C8F0cWvAfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8F0cWvAfo&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;FHjJ2lipORQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHjJ2lipORQ[/video]

yeah man, Alex Smith can make all the plays in those videos..LOL

Dec 4, 2006
Go ahead and settle for a guy who can't get the job done...

look at all this 3rd down conversions ...

that should be enough to tell what kind of QB he is....

he doesn't get that many 1st downs by passing...most QB's have 20+ first downs by passing in each game..

but yeah man, I'm delusional....