Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2006
who gives a fuck how many times he was sacked... point is that he's the primary source why the 49ers didn't win the championship...

Alex Smith has to go buddy....

Dec 4, 2006
Jun 23, 2002
Although I would prefer a better QB for the 9ers, I know it aint gonna happen anytime soon. Alex Smith 'will do'. Hopefully he can be mistake free next season too.

I just don't know why people want a deep threat like Wallace. Alex won't hit someone deep consistently, is all I'm sayin'. How many deep plays did you see all year? 2-3?

Dec 12, 2006
Trent Dilfer, who normally I dont like to listen to, said that he thinks that Peyton Manning will come into whatever new organization with a chip on his shoulder and ready to work which is rare for a QB so deep into his career with outside moneys, I thought that was a really good point and although I would be behind getting Manning I think hes more likely to go to a smaller market where he can completely take it over ie KC

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, the 49ers have targeted restricted free agent Mike Wallace and unrestricted free agent Vincent Jackson "at a specific price."
The Niners "do not get into bidding wars for players, though," Maiocco cautions. Jackson is sure to incite a bidding war, and Wallace will cost $9.5 million in 2012 in addition to a lucrative long-term contract and the 49ers' first-round pick. At their respective prices, both big-play receivers are long shots for San Francisco. The Steelers website pointed out Tuesday that no RFA carrying a first-round tender has signed an offer sheet in the past 10 years.

Jan 12, 2006
The 49ers are fucking up not going after Wallace, fuck our 30th pick give the steelers that pick and mike Wallace 9 million a year. He's better then all of our WR's combined. The guy is 25 years old and entering his prime no way we find a receiver of his caliber with the 30th pick, and if we do by the time the kid develops he will be asking for Mike Wallace money.

Feb 12, 2004
Mike Wallace is dope, but IMO he doesn't fit the type of offense the 49ers run with Alex at the qb position. Someone like Bowe or V Jackson would be a better fit IMO. Unfortunately we aint getting either.

Jan 12, 2006
Larry Grant is expected to receive a significant pay raise after filling in admirably for 49ers Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis for four games in December.

Scheduled to be a restricted free agent, Grant could return to the 49ers as a backup to Willis and NaVorro Bowman. But if another team envisions Grant as a starter, he would likely sign an offer sheet the 49ers would decline to match. In such a scenario, the 49ers would get a draft pick as compensation.

The 49ers have until Tuesday at 1 p.m., when the free-agent signing period begins, to decide what level of RFA tender to assign Grant. The sides are not negotiating a contract extension, sources said.

The 49ers would have the right of first refusal and receive a seventh-round draft pick as compensation with an "equal-round tender" of approximately $1.26 million for Grant. Or, the 49ers could give Grant a tender of $1.92 million to ensure a second-round pick as compensation if he were to leave.

Grant, 27, entered the NFL as a seventh-round pick of the 49ers in 2008. After being released as a rookie, he played 34 games in three seasons with the St. Louis Rams before returning to the 49ers last season on a one-year, $600,000 contract.

Grant played well in four games at inside linebacker in place of Willis, who sustained a hamstring injury early in a Dec. 4 game against St. Louis. Grant recorded 29 tackles, broke up five passes and forced a fumble in those games. He was also one of the 49ers' top special-teams players throughout the season with 10 tackles.

The 49ers' only other scheduled restricted free agent is wide receiver Brett Swain, who is unlikely to receive a tender.

Read more: RFA tender on the way for Grant
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
Looks like the 49ers might be getting a 2nd round pick for Grant.