Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
“It’s always good to see your teammates,” Brooks said. “This is my family. This is my home. This is where I want to be. This is where I’d like to end my career, to tell you the truth. I’d rather be here than anywhere else. California is beautiful weather, we have a great coaching staff, a great organization and we have great players. Everything is first-class, and I like that.”
more from Ahmad Brooks here
http://blog.49ers.com/2010/04/09/heavy-hearted-brooks-back-with-49ers/

May 10, 2002
TSSSSSSSSSHAAAAAAA.COM
Wow, why havent the Niners thought of this before?? Hill can totally solve all of our problems. Maybe we should sign Donovan McNabb or Brett Favre cuz that will = an instant Super Bowl!!!
YEA BECAUSE ALEX SMITH IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER THEN DONAVAN MCNABB AND BRETT FAVRE HUH? YEA LETS KEEP ALEX SMITH TILL HIS CAREER IS OVER 10 YEARS FROM NOW AND HES NEVER WON MORE THEN 8 GAMES, YALL MOTHAFUCKAS ARE STUPID, 5 YEARS AND HE HASNT DONE SHIT 5 YEARS IS MORE THEN ENOUGH TIME TO EVALUATE A QB

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Best, Gerhart and the 49ers "local" pro day
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/best-gerhart-an.html

The 49ers will hold their "local pro day" on Wednesday. That's the day players who went to college in the Bay Area or grew up within 45 miles of Santa Clara can interview with and workout for the team. The headliners, of course, are a pair of running backs, Cal's Jahvid Best and Stanford's Toby Gerhart.

Will the 49ers draft either? The crystal ball says it's doubtful. Best would be an excellent complement at running back, and he would be a shot of adrenaline to the return game. But given his injury history, pick 17 is too early for Best and pick 49 probably is too late. Gerhart, meanwhile, is a big, bruising running back who, to me, is the second coming of John Riggins. But with Glen Coffee approaching 220 pounds, he appears to fill the bruiser-back niche for San Francisco.

Here are some of the other players who are eligible to attend:

Cal:
DT/DE Tyson Alualu
WR Nyan Botang
OT Chet Teofilo
OL Mike Tepper
CB Syd'Quan Thompson
WR Verran Tucker

San Jose State:
OLB Justin Cole
LB Carl Ihenacho
WR Kevin Jurovich

Stanford:
TE Jim Dray
OT/DL Matt Kopa
OT Chris Marinelli
S Bo McNally
DT/NT Ekom Udofia
DE Eric Lorig

-- Matt Barrows

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
2010 Draft:

Rnd 1: Anthony Davis OT Rutgers (6`6” – 325) / Taylor Mays SS USC (6` 3” – 230)
Mike Iupati Idaho OG (6`5” – 330) /
In a recent article in the Sac Bee, the 49ers GM was talking about pro football being a “big” man`s game. Stating that was something he learned under former Packers GM Ron Wolf. That being said, and the fact that the 49ers most glaring need is on the O-Line, if Mike Iupati is available, he fits the perfect mold of size and need. He would also be a nice compliment to Staley as 2 young studs to anchor the line and protection for Alex Smith.
Taylor Mays roaming the backfield with Dashon Goldson? Seriously? Mays would be an instant upgrade at SS and would give the 49er faithful visions of Ronny Lott as a hard hitting safety. His size and willingness to inflict pain upon opposing players would fit right into coach Singletary`s defensive scheme. Although the RT position is by far the 49ers most glaring need, Mays should be their 1st pick if still available. Raw talent like Mays doesn`t come around too often, and there should still be solid options to address the RT or RG at pick 17.

Rnd 2: Jon Asamoah OG Illinois(6`5” – 315) / Mike Johnson OT Alabama (6`5” – 306)
Vladimir Ducasse OT Umass (6`4” – 326)
Addressing the O-Line in the 2nd round again would just about complete the O-Line transformation the 49ers desperately need. Again, Ducasse`s size and skill set, teamed with Staley and Iupati could create holes for Gore and protection for Smith. The transformation would also start to make the 49ers O-Line start to look very similar to the massive line the Cowboys had back in the early 90`s that Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman eventually went into the Hall of Fame behind.

Rnd 3: Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida (6`4” -212)
Toby Gerhart RBF Stanford (6`0” – 231) / Donovan Warren CB Michigan (6`0” – 185)
Passing on Toby Gerhart is extremely difficult here. Imagining being able to impose the league`s most physical running game on opponents at will is tempting. But if the 49ers are to address another glaring need, the pick has to be Carlton Mitchell. His size and speed would not only add another weapon for Alex Smith down range, but would also fill the need for a return man, as he ran a 4.49 in the 40. Early scouting on him has some raving over his “sick hands”. On one hand you imagine the tandem of Gore and Gerhart, and on the other you have Mitchell and Crabtree. Either way, the 49ers can`t lose in the 3rd rnd with either pick.

Rnd 4: Brandon Carter OG Texas Tech (6`7” – 350) / Amari Spievey CB Iowa
Danario Alexander WRP Missouri (6`4” – 221)/ Jermaine Cunningham OLB34 Florida(6`3” – 252)poss 5th rnd
If the 49ers luck out again and can add the mammoth guard from Texas Tech in Brandon Carter, they would have officially transformed the O-Line into a unit that wouldn`t just finally give Alex Smith the protection he has never had in the NFL, but would finally give coach Singletary the unit he needs to run his style of offense. Large, physical , ground and pound. The 49ers should be able to add more hardware to their fist full of rings they currently own behind this O-Line. Might even turn Alex Smith into a HoF QB, (lmao). And Carter`s football character should help to establish a new identity on the O-Line. The guy paints his face, sports tats and piercings and looks like he came right out of the movie “Any Given Sunday”. Just the type of guy you want in the trenches fighting for that “inch”.

Rnd 5: Mike Neal DE Purdue (6`3” – 293) / Joshua Moore CB K State (5`11” – 185)
Joshua Moore would be a good grab in the 5th. With a solid defensive unit, the only weakness was the secondary. Adding Moore from the under the radar K State would add depth behind Clements and Spencer. A playmaker ranked 5th in the Big 12 runs a 4.4 range 40 and finished a college career with 175 tackles, 6 Ints, 34 passes defended as one of the few bright spots for a dreadful K State team.

Rnd 6: CJ Wilson DE E Carolina (6`3” – 284) / Lindsey Witten OLB Uconn (6`5” – 258)
Riley Cooper WR Florida (6`3” – 214)
If the 49ers have all 3 of these players on the board when it`s time to pick in the 6th rnd, again, they can`t lose with any of them. Riley Cooper has proven himself to be a big game performer and comes from a winner in Florida. CJ Wilson would also be a huge value pick at DE, but Lindsey Witten gets the call. His size fits the 49ers mold for OLB, and adds depth behind Ahmad Brooks if the 49ers don`t bring back Haralson. Witten wrapped up the regular season with 41 tackles, 13.0 tackles-for-loss and 11.5 sacks.

Rnd 7: Leigh Tiffin K Alabama (6`0” – 198) / Walter Thurmond CB Oregon (6`0 – 180) / Chris Hawkins CB LSU (6`1” – 182)

To close out the draft, the 49ers could try to replace the aging Joe Nedney, or add depth at CB. Tiffin, from Alabama is a champion. Coming from Saban`s unit, he`s a gamer and could be a solid replacement for Nedney if they decide to go that route. I personally think that Walter Thurmond from Oregon is the better choice to add CB depth, and could end up being a steal in the 7th rnd if his knee injury proves to be fully healed (MCL). Up until the injury, Thurmond was the Ducks primary kick returner and finished with 236 career tackles, 35 passes broken up and 11 interceptions.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

Oct 23, 2009
As much as I'd like to pick up a OL in the 1st RD, I'm starting to get the feeling the top OT's will be gone by the 13th pick. Iupati is going to be good but I'm not sure they're gonna draft a Guard that high....maybe Charles Brown but everyone is saying that anything above the mid 20's is reaching.

Oct 23, 2009
Atogwe would be a nice pickup for us if we don't draft a starting CB or SS in the draft.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/draft-is-not-49ers-only-option-to-acquire-safety-help.html#fb

The 49ers will get help for the defensive backfield in the upcoming draft. They might even get it in the first round. Look for them to focus on cornerback, though, and not safety.

This is not to say that safety help is not coming for the 49ers. If they do not get a safety during the draft, they could still make it happen with a high-profile pickup in June.

The 49ers have used a draft pick on a safety each of the past four seasons. They took Marcus Hudson, who signed with the Panthers this offseason, in the sixth round of 2006, and ultimately moved him to cornerback. Starter Dashon Goldson was chosen in the fourth round of 2007. Reggie Smith, who began his 49ers tenure at cornerback and was shifted to safety, was a third-round 2008 selection. Last year, the 49ers selected Curtis Taylor in the seventh round.

During the 49ers' organized team activities, it was obvious that the 49ers' coaching staff is challenging Smith and Taylor. They want to see if either can handle the assignment in case they're needed to step in.

Veteran Mark Roman remains unsigned, and somebody has to take his spot as the first safety off the sideline on third-down situations.

In the first round of the draft, the 49ers could very well end up with Florida cornerback Joe Haden with the 13th pick. If he is not there, the 49ers could satisfy their desire to select a defensive back at No. 17.

Earl Thomas of Texas would be a logical pick because he has cornerback skills and could transition to safety, if needed. It does not make much sense for the 49ers to select a safety, such as Taylor Mays, who has limited cover skills.

Even if the 49ers do not bring in a true safety during the draft, they could still acquire an immediate starter in June.

Rams safety Oshiomogho (O.J.) Atogwe, whom 49ers coach Mike Singletary knows quite well, is a restricted free agent. The Rams made him a lowball offer of $1.226 million just to retain the "right of first refusal." That represents a paycut of nearly $5 million over what he made in 2009 as the Rams' franchise player.

Teams have until Thursday to sign restricted free agents to offer sheets. But Atogwe's case is different. If St. Louis does not sign Atogwe to a contract, trade his rights or give him a one-year, guaranteed contract of about $7 million, they lose all rights to him on June 1.

Atogwe would become an unrestricted free agent and able to sign any contract with any team without that club owing the Rams anything in compensation. That remains an option for the 49ers.

Mar 12, 2010
There was actually an article about moving Clements to safety, it might work. Rod Woodson did it later in his career and Clements still has some coverage skills.
alot of the really good cornerbacks later in their careers move to safety i personally like that idea because lewis is good but you have to wonder about his concussions and overall health

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
dont want taylor mays

want 1 OL and 1 of cj spiller/earl thomas/eric berry/rolando mcclain/derrick morgan
I like Mays personally for his size, speed, coachability and fierce willingness to inflict pain on opposing players. Yes, he has questions about coverage but could improve with coaching. Having a player to make opposing players fear coming over the middle is something we severely lack.

With your other picks, many of them do not fit into the 49ers front office "mold" of what they look for in a player, especially size wise. Outside of Berry, the only other player you mentioned I`m personally high on is Derrick Morgan. Dude is going to be a beast, but I`m afraid his size might hold him back from the 49ers drafting him. Hopefully I`m wrong though.

Morgan could help our pass rush defense, and with that improved, the secondary weaknesses that were exposed last year would also improve. QB`s will have far less time to pick apart the secondary.

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
As much as I'd like to pick up a OL in the 1st RD, I'm starting to get the feeling the top OT's will be gone by the 13th pick. Iupati is going to be good but I'm not sure they're gonna draft a Guard that high....maybe Charles Brown but everyone is saying that anything above the mid 20's is reaching.
I have seen some draft boards that still have Trent Williams available when the 49ers pick at 13. And although Iupati is an OG, some analysts actually believe that he could make the adjustment to OT. With Staley holding down the left side, the RT position is the easier of the two to transition to.

Regardless though, this still looks to be one of the deepest drafts in recent memories. Long as they don`t fuck this up, should come out with solid players.

Shit could be worse. We could have Al Davis drafting for us.......:confused: