New Too Short Allhiphop interview on Mess

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 29, 2008
AllHipHop.com: Let's get right down to business. We spoke to Messy Marv and he had a lot to say about you. What do you have to say about his grievances?

Too $hort: I figured he was little upset about something that was not really that major. When I finally got him on the phone and he explained it to me, I really kind of shocked. If that's how he felt, I don't understand why he chose his methods of communication: calling some guy and asking him to call me, just to ask me to call him back. Or going on the computer to say, “F*** Too $hort.” I figured it would've been way easier to just get at me. All that stuff that he's mad about, I'll go for it – it's cool. But the one thing I have to say is, I was really in a frame of mind where he wasn't really on my radar. I wasn't focused on anything he was doing as far as feeling hatred towards me. I speak on him from time to time because he was one of the Bay Area artists that keeps the independent hustle going. I like that but I wasn't really focused on this anger that he had. When he got on the phone and explained it to me, I guess I did laugh during the conversation – it was kind of funny to me. I wasn't masking my emotions. If I was angry, I would've been yelling or threatening. It wasn't that kind of conversation on either end.

AllHipHop.com: You were pretty respectful about him in a recent interview two weeks ago.

Too $hort: At that moment I had a whole different kind of compassion for the situation. I kept thinking along the lines of the best interests for the Bay and not to entertain Marv's bull****. It had nothing to do with track records, who's sold the most, who raps the best – it was for the Bay. It wouldn't look good for the Bay – as individuals and for the area. I stepped aside and let him tweet away for a week or two straight.

When he stuck with his campaign, people from different corners of the Bay and mainly from his neighborhood started calling me. All of his homies that he'd been running with told the same stories about him: JT, his homies from the Click Clack, OG's from the Fillmore area. They kept telling me that this guy has never been upstanding or dealt with people man to man. They also said that he's always been the type to run somewhere else and talk sh*t about another. Then after he would talk sh*t, he would try to work it out with that person. That was his plan with me; “F*** Too $hort” and then try to work it out and do some songs together. His background report came up and this is a repetitive behavior of his. He's done this to many rappers.

They told me that Marv quit the whole city of San Francisco and he's sitting somewhere in Sacramento, Seattle, Kansas City, and Florida doing all of this talking behind a computer. Marv had a lot of respect from me and a lot of people. But to find out that this dude just talks behind his texts or a computer? And the gayest sh*t was when he put my phone number on the Internet. That was some real girl sh*t right there. If I had known then what I know about him now, I would've really been disrespectful to him before. I didn't know he was that bad of a character.

AllHipHop.com: What was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Too $hort: When his boys kept telling me about how he doesn't come around anymore, doesn't take phone calls – this dude constantly changes his number and he even changed it again after I spoke to him two weeks ago. These are the real Fillmore thugs that held Marv down and gave him his credibility. They told me about how he was from a suburb outside of the Bay and that his cousins were from Fillmore. He came to visit his cousins and decided that he wanted to be with them. He eased his way in and Fillmore accepted him. He's from another city, just like he's trying to put the L.A. jacket on me. He's from the suburbs. After he got their respect, he started a long record of doing silly stuff like the day he left JT's studio equipment get stolen. He let a dude just walk in there with no guns or nothing. He just said that he's taking JT's stuff and Marv opened the door and let him. He didn't make a phone call or anything – just let him take the sh*t and walk out of the door.

The one that really made me mad as f*** is this: San Quinn's family had let Messy sleep on their couch during a bad moment in his life. I've been there in that position – 18 years old trying to make it in Hip-Hop and one of the homies letting me stay with them. I would never ever go back and tell a person who's helped me that I'd f*** their mama or “f*** your dead daddy.” What kind of sh*t is that in a little beef that ain't really a beef? You're never going to come out from behind your computer. You're never going to show up in the face of the person who you're talking about. I decided that this pattern has to be broken. This can't be the person that little youngsters in the Bay are saying is next in for the Crown. That whole campaign is “E-40 and Too $hort, move out of the way so the new n****s can have it.” It doesn't work like that! You don't ask somebody to move out of the way. You move them out of the way. This cat has the nerve to go at me about integrity and about being born in Los Angeles. That's no big damn secret.

AllHipHop.com: What about him saying in his interview that you are not helping the Bay?

Too $hort: The list of rappers that I've done free verses for and let open up shows or rap in the middle of my shows, is so long. But I guess I don't feel that I'm in the frame of mind of the new generation of hip-hop. I'm from the time where everybody had camps. In your camp was your producers and your rappers – and the same went for your albums. The guest appearance sh*t started in the 90's where people really started getting features. To my knowledge the best way to use a feature on an album that you're projecting to sell hundreds and thousands of copies of is to use star power. I need to go get a guest appearance from Jay-Z. I don't need to go to the Bay and put all of the rappers that haven't made it yet on my album so they can have a million ears listening to them. To me, that sounds like the Welfare system. I didn't get that love. I don't know anybody that has blown the f*** up without putting in the work themselves. There is no hand-me-downs in the industry – like a person saying “give it to me.”

I've sat down with artists and agreed to do songs with them. They'll come to the studio and we'll chop it up and I'll give them some of that game. Sometimes they'll come back again and I'll give them another verse. I don't even feel I need to name the list. I tweeted about all of the motherf****** that I've worked with in the Bay. I haven't put many on my albums but I didn't want to put them on my albums. It's not anything f****** personal. I don't need anybody to be like, “Short put me on.” I let the youngsters in Oakland work in my studio every damn day for free. They're using all of this equipment in a nice studio – and it's all on the house just because that's the love that I've got for the town. You can't rip down an upstanding dude in the community like me. Even after I moved to Atlanta for 15 years I never left Oakland alone. I came in and out of that motherf***** like I never left. The whole part about The Luniz trying to make it seem like they ran me out of town. I had to run back up on them and show motherf****** what it really was. I don't have to prove this sh*t to Marv.

I'll be the first to tell you that if I battle rapped against Messy Marv, I wouldn't give a f*** if this n**** won. I wouldn't even try to god-damn win a rap battle. Give me a f****** break. I'm not riding on him for me. I'm riding on him for the Bay. There's n****** waiting in line to get at him. It's a bad PR campaign that he's on. He's trying to sell records on Tuesday. I even went online to his cyber-world and was like, “Dude. I'm about to help you. I'm about to put your name in a whole bunch of people's mouth and help you sell some units on Tuesday.” Isn't that helping out the Bay? (laughs)

AllHipHop.com: JT said in his interview that Marv shared with him his plans to go at someone big in the Bay.

Too $hort: Yeah, it's a promo. Everybody knows this. It's no big secret. But the point is, I'm not going to let the Bay Area think that this dude is a savage. He's not going to keep selling that dream. He's not a savage. He's not a Fillmore gangsta. He says he's 31 but San Quinn says he's 36 – I don't care about that. But at 31 I was already talking retirement after 7 platinum albums. He's way behind the motherf****** race – way behind. I know that I'm not the best rapper but I know how to make songs that people like. For him to say something about taking the Crown – the Crown isn't mine. When you ask people from the Bay who's their favorite rapper they will tell you Too $hort, E-40 and Mac Dre. Those 3 names will always come up. But if you take all of the Bay rappers and base them on skills, I will never be in the top 10 and I don't give a f***! He's going to say that I used cocaine in the 80's? N**** you use cocaine right now!

AllHipHop.com: You released a diss song, “Where you at?” How quickly did you put that together?

Too $hort: It was the day I heard about in a song that he was going to f*** San Quinn's mama. I put that song together right after I got off the phone hearing that sh*t. You going to diss the homie's mama after she fed you? That's the foulest character I can think of. You won't just go man to man. You won't go to Fillmore and fight them. They're going to put up “Wanted Posters” with his face on them.

AllHipHop.com: I saw on your Twitter that you even challenged him to meet you in the Bay for a fight.

Too $hort: I chastised him because the last place I'm ever going to see him is in the Bay. If you come to the Bay, I'll fight you. It's just words in the air because he'll never go.

AllHipHop.com: Is this the last song at Marv or do you have more?

Too $hort: There's probably like 20 songs.

AllHipHop.com: You made 20 songs?

Too $hort: I didn't make them. Everybody came to me with them. It's all these dudes that hate him and half of them are Fillmore cats. You have no idea what n***** on these records are saying about him. It's spread around the whole Bay. I was going to let Marv keep his little secret but people are going to know that he's not as hard as he says he is.

You can check my background man. I've been rapping funny sh*t, talking about b*tches and pimpin'. I haven't spent the last 30 years pimpin' hoes on the street. That's not what I do. It's music. People ask if I pimp – no I don't. I rap about it. I come from a pimpin' a** city and I represent it. It sounds real entertaining and I spit real game – just like E-40 spits real game. I thought that Marv was one of our young ones doing the same thing. I did not know off the mic that he would put someone's number on the internet or just wake up one morning and say, “F*** You”, in his cyber-world. C'mon man.

AllHipHop.com: Have you changed your number since he put it on the Internet? I imagine a million people have called (laughs).

Too $hort: Imagine this, a million people called me everyday before he did that. My phone hasn't stopped ringing in years. I don't answer the phone for any other purpose than money or sh*t that I'm doing. My voice mail says, “Text Message.” That means that I'm not picking up motherf*****. I've had that message since 2006 – and that's the last time I've checked my voice mail too. It's been full since then.

AllHipHop.com: I imagine that you get a million text messages then (laughs).

Too $hort: And when he put the number up people text me, “We love you Short. F*** Mess.” This dude is 35 years old and he's acting like a little kid. And we look like immature kids because the way Twitter works is that when people Re-tweet a comment, you don't get the full story. You just get pieces of comments. The first week when they said we were battling I wasn't saying sh*t, just reading all the comments. It was entertainment.

AllHipHop.com: What's next for you in your career?

Too $hort: I've got a solo album dropping on January 24, 2012. A new single with E-40 coming. I've got a duet album with E-40 that we're working on – dropping new sh*t. You can't escape me. You're going to hear me on the radio going to the club and hear me in the club. You might see me pop up on someone's reality show. I'm not an A-List superstar but I stay in it. I hate to pop my collar like this but Marv don't know that I've got so much love in this world that I could easily – and I say easily – have a mob of red-rag wearing n***** roll up on him and tear his arms off. I could easily do that. Thugs would be like, “F*** this little fake Blood. Serve him up.” I'm not even a gang banger at all. I'm not a Crip or a Blood and I'm saying that there are so many cats mad about his illegitimate gang-banging.

AllHipHop.com: Messy Marv stated on his Twitter that you and JT were snitching by telling some of these stories. What do you think of that?

Too $hort: What's he gonna do? Get charged with a crime? Nobody is snitching on him, man. But if snitching is telling your little secret about you getting banned from Fillmore, then I'm snitching (laughs). There's no Bloods in Fillmore and the Fillmore dudes can't even figure out how he became a Blood. Who jumped him in a gang at 30 years old and made him a Blood? This is comedy!

Even when you spoke with him – I read that. It was a very awkward interview because he was coked-out man. I know from using coke in the 80's that sh*t makes your mind weird. I went back one time and read some raps that I wrote back in the early 80's. I could tell by the way the ink was pushed hard and the words were squiggly – these were coke rhymes.

AllHipHop.com: Was “Dope Fiend Beat” one of those rhymes?

Too $hort: Naw, I was done with that sh*t by then. When I used cocaine, I was broke. I never touched that sh*t after I had money. The cats that put me in the game, some real gangsters, they despised drug use. Back then just being around them, I never let them know that I used do coke. I would've gotten banned from the crew – like Marv. You've got to talk to the Fillmore dudes. They've got the funny stories on him tweaking bad and jumping out of a window. They said this man got arrested at Nordstroms for not coming out of the dressing room. He wouldn't come out! So when they went in there to get him, they found a gun on him. He used that gun-charge for his little gangster world. He doesn't talk about tweaking on cocaine in a dressing room (laughs).

I've got a question for you all. We know how to shut down Studio Gangsters because that's been done. How do you shut down a Cyber-Gangster? Somebody please contact me and tell me how do you turn off a Cyber-Gangster's computer? He's got a bunch of Cyber fans thinking that Mess is pushing a hard line. Mess should just be real and say, “Short and those cats are right. I don't f*** with Fillmore anymore. I'm not a street gangster. I'm not really a Blood.” The guy makes great music and that's why he's been able to get support. But do you've got to try to live the lie?

San Quinn kept telling me the other night, “You can't fight a ghost Short. You can't do it.” He also said, “Please don't make this dude famous.” I said, “Nope. He's about to get famous right now.” They were all at my studio. That's why you saw me tweeting at 5 in the morning – those cats had just left. I couldn't go to sleep. I had to let this n**** know that we found out the truth. I've just started. I'm not going to ease up on this dude. This isn't a rap battle. This is a motherf***** back-yard scrap. We're about to put the bounty posters up. Don't kill him. Just hand-cuff him and bring him to Fillmore. He's wanted.

http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/features/archive/2011/08/20/22868072.aspx

milkky

The Milk Man
Sep 6, 2010
Short sounded like a selfish prick when talking about "Im not gonna put someone on my album to give them free exposure".. WTF why not?!?
"i didnt get that opportunity so why should they"... That sounds like some Super Hater ass shit to me dog, straight up. Fuck all that

May 8, 2008
Short sounded like a selfish prick when talking about "Im not gonna put someone on my album to give them free exposure".. WTF why not?!?
"i didnt get that opportunity so why should they"... That sounds like some Super Hater ass shit to me dog, straight up. Fuck all that
WTF are you talking about? Short isn't obligated to put people on HIS ALBUM. He comes from an era were features were meant to enhance the album's status, not as a means to "put people on." Short has opened the door for rapper after rapper after rapper in the Bay. Do some research bruh.

Jul 14, 2004
What happened to the young cats? These is grown men.........open your own muthafuckin door!!!!! I ain't about hate, it's about you gotta put in the work. Fuck a hand out!!!!!!