New Jay Rock Interview (Pt. 1 By BallerStatus)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

A_DuB

Sicc OG
May 8, 2008
On The Road With Jay Rock (Pt. 1): His Start, Strange Music & Stereotypes
By Niki Gatewood (@THENikiG), Published 12/06/2010

"Follow Me Home," beckons Jay Rock, Watts' Finest. Okay, let's go. Upon entering the Nickerson Gardens projects, penitentiary-white paint clashes against its sea of melanin-saturated residents. Like in many other public housing communities, an invisible barrier protects the haves from the shouldn't-haves. Don't worry. We're safe. Just look at all the barred windows, it'll be like visiting a zoo! Instantly, a thundering swoosh slices the afternoon. It suctions all sound. Looking up reveals a fully-armed police helicopter, let's wave. The gesture is returned with the scope of a sniper's riffle. Hmm, that's odd.

As we travel deeper into the complex, Jay Rock encounters both friends and family. But, we don't spend too much time catching up. An influx of anxious pigs has disturbed the collective morale. A nonchalant shrug explains, "When you live in the Gardens, the law has the right to lock you up if you're in a group. It don't matter if you're Bounty Hunter or non-affiliated. That's injunction life." Here comes a law-boy, "oink, oink," everyone scatters! Left arm extending, Jay Rock commands: "Rec. Center." His baritone leads the way. Legs pumping, hearts squirting adrenaline, we race toward sanctuary. Finally, we're here. We catch our breath; our backs are pressing against despair.

We turn to head inside. Curiosity turns to perplexed resignation; it interrupts our journey. A black script crowds the wall's exterior. Closer inspection shows endless row of names. These are the names of the dead, this wall their living memorial. Hundreds upon hundreds of names haunts its surface. Sadness engulfs the entire length. Well, what can we do, let's step inside. A myriad of activities takes place, everything from self-empowerment workshops, to self-destructive endeavors. Which path would you follow?

A distressed scream pierces the wall. Tentatively we head back outside. Acrid air clogged with gun powder assaults the nose. Guess those pops weren't firecrackers. Amid other debris, an extinguished soul litters the yard. (Here's another name for the Wall of Sorrow.) Empty pocket, sockless foot, and ripped plastic wrap tells a redundant story. He has been relieved of his "work." Just then, an eye-spy addict spots a lone crack rock. "Lucky me!" he squeals. Scratching the inside of his forearm, he bends and swipes the treasure. A mischievous smile eats his face. Please, remember drugs are BAD! Say NO to drugs (unless you have a sweet federal connect like, UnKKKle Sam)! Twenty minutes pass, then thirty, we survey the area, there's no bacon. Protect and serve, yeah right. Oh, spoken too soon. Several closed-circuit cameras stalk the residents. The condescending eye of Big Brother Willie glares at everyone. Ramifications of the Reagan Era are here to stay! Follow me home...

This environment spawned Jay Rock. Unlike many, who allow their limited perspective to dictate their entire reality, Jay challenges his surroundings and strives for more. Coaxing the ivory keys, or transforming sonnets into sixteens, Jay Rock slangs his inner poetry, packaging it into hip-hop bars. During his time on Tech N9ne's "Independent Grind Tour," BallerStatus.com caught up with Jay Rock in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In this exclusive interview, the emerging MC talks about the past, the present, and the future. Continue to read part one of our conversation...

BallerStatus.com: Going back to your beginning with hip-hop, what made you emphatically believe that you could take it from maybe, a recreational activity, to make it your full-time profession?

Jay Rock: I mean, basically, it came a point of time in my life. I was looking at myself like, "What are you going to do in life?" There was a point in time where I didn't know what I wanted to do, and I kept seeing a lot of my homeboys and a lot of my friends losing their lives to the streets. A lot of my childhood friends were going to jail and losing their lives -- I was looking at myself like, "Man, what are you going to do? What do you got going on; what's going on with your life, Jay Rock?"

There came a point in time to where my friends, my family, just everybody, knew that I had the talent to rap. They knew that I was good at it and tight with the rap sh**. So, basically, I just took heed to that and decided to just stick with the music. I wanted to give it a shot. I was rapping, but I was just really rapping for fun. Everybody was on me like, "Man, you're hard. Man, you got the talent. You don't need to be in these streets doing this and doing that." So, I was like, you know what, I'm just going to listen to my friends and my family and pursue this sh**.

BallerStatus.com: Did it come as an epiphany, or was it more like a gradual decision?

Jay Rock: It was like a real good gradual decision. Because, there was a point in time to where I was like, whatever, with it. But this dude named Top Dawg -- we grew up in the same neighborhood, he went through the same struggles. You feel me, he went through the same struggles in life, and he made it out real successful. I didn't know he was into the music thing like that. He used to always come to the hood and always lecture to a lot of us young cats about being in the streets. He was on a positive note, he wanted us to do right. I thought he was coming to get at me about some stuff I had done. I was always running from him, you know what I'm saying? But, all that time, he had kept coming at me to come and do some music. You feel me?

So, one day I was just outside in the yard getting my hair cut and he rolled up on me like, "Man, come here come here!" So, I asked what's up. It was at the same time that everybody was on me about doing the music. He was like, "Man, come to my studio let's do some music. We can make something happen." I was like, "Alright." So, I went through to his studio. Man, he locked me in there like I was in jail or something. He locked me in the studio and was like, "Man, this is what you need to do. You don't need to be in them streets." He's like a real father-figure type, big homie, big brother. He snatched me up off the streets, on the positive note, put me into the studio and had me do some music. Look at me now.

BallerStatus.com: That's beautiful. He was right there in your face. It's crazy because some people still wouldn't have taken heed to the situation.

Jay Rock: Yeah, for real, straight up.

BallerStatus.com: What message are you hoping that the audience takes from your lyrics? why have you chosen hip-hop as your platform?

Jay Rock: I'm talking to the youth. I grew up in the projects [Nickerson Gardens in Watts, Los Angeles, CA]. I never had nothing, and I know that my story is similar to a lot of those out there in the world. There are different ghettos across America and the world. Like I said, I never in a million years would think that people out here in Oklahoma -- I came out here before and people were like, "Your song 'All My Life' helped me get through the day. I've been going through the same thing." That's real. To hear that from someone else who is from a whole different place, and time-zone, saying that they feel it. I'm like, "Man, that's a blessing." It's like motivation. When people come to me and say: "I love your song. It helps me get through the day." That's what keeps me going. Man, that's a good feeling and that's why I do it.

BallerStatus.com: Relatively speaking, you're still a young man. Yet, you've been able to accomplish more than other MCs. How did you go from being signed to a major label to getting TDE (Top Dawg Entertainment) linked up with Strange Music?

Jay Rock: I mean, basically, I was on Warner Bros. for a few years, like three or four years. I had this record called "All My Life" featuring Lil Wayne and Will.I.Am, it was one of the biggest records I had ever done. Warner, didn't have my back 100% on that record. They just dropped the ball on my record, like that. Not to down talk on them, or nothing. I appreciate Warner Bros. for giving me the opportunity to be able to do what I did. They signed me, that was a wonderful feeling, and I appreciate them for that opportunity. But, me and my team felt that they weren't in our best interest when they let that record go like that [without adequate promotion]. Me and my team, we were just unhappy. We went in got the release papers.

Then, I had other labels that wanted to sign me. I think this move [to Strange Music] was the best move. Shout out to Tech N9ne and Travis O'Guinn, and the whole Strange Music family! At home, a few years back, I had met Tech. He had did a video and I was introduced to him. Man, I've always been up on Tech N9ne. I used to tell a lot of people he's killing the underground scene. When we met, we cliqued up, right off the bat. We've been cool ever since. So, he heard about my situation. He heard I was off Warner Bros. He was like, "What's up, man. Holla at me, Jay Rock, I got your back." I was still trying to weigh my options. No other label ever offered me a touring and merchandising [opportunities]. That's what I like to do. I like to be on the road and connect with my fans, and major labels couldn't offer me that.

Part 2 of our interview with Jay Rock will be drop later this week, so stay tuned. Until then, follow Jay Rock on Twitter @JayRock, and make sure to download his latest release: a new mixtape titled "Black Friday," boasting 13 new tracks. Download it now, via TopDawgMusic.com.

SOURCE: http://www.ballerstatus.com/2010/12...jay-rock-his-start-strange-music-stereotypes/