New computer nightmare

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
props on the ibuypower site, if this shit dont work out with the dell (damn near counting on it now) i might fuck with them. If i have problems IDK what id do if i fuck with this site though, Im betting they dont have a support team if things go wrong.

Still leaning towards the Mac though, what if i fucked with another PC like a gateway, HP or a Sony Viao? yay or nay?

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
^ Get custom built... Intel Processor (Quad-core Q6600 can be had for dirt-cheap and will have more power than the average home-recordist will know wut to do wit), Aesus motherboard, Nvidia graphics card, & a soundcard that is not a Soundblaster... (Gina Echo for lower budget sounds good and is real stable with Sonar)...

A custom-built PC dedicated for audio is cheaper than you'd think... I can't reccomend anything else if you choose to not go this route...

Oh yeah, windows XP sp 2

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
audio and video is basically the most cpu heavy applications you can run right?

windows vista 32 bit downgrade has to not work in order 4 me to take the dell without penalty. the ibuypower website seems pretty tiight but it wouldnt give me a firewire card option to run my focusrite soundcard ill probably have to call them. honestly i just hope the dell works because its gonna take a couple more weeks to get my money back

Oct 20, 2008
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&oc=brcwczp&s=bsd

you can customize a dell if go to the link, ill be doing this sometime in the future. You can get the "downgrade" to xp, pop in two HD, get a 2.8 ghz or more, and the best thing about going through the business side of dell is you can get the pc as a blank slate with no "extra apps".

My cousin has a mac and he loves the thing, but hes got the cash to love it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
yippy i win. there are finally gonna let me take the computer back. basically the techs are saying its not advisable to try to install the older OS bacause everything on the computer is supposably built for the 64 bit system. its a bittersweet ending though cuz now i'm gonna have to wait forever to get my money back for the fuckin thing to i can buy a new computer. I'm guessing a month more of bullshit if i'm lucky

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I get to take it back but they are saying it can take up to 30 days for my money to be refunded to me. that pisses me off big time, plus i paid with a credit card that i paid off with cash. if the refund credits my card it will become more of a bitch. I have absolutly no idea on when ill be able to get my stuff working now. I'll never buy another dell computer again as long as i live

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
So if have a PC built how do i prevent anymore problems? I'm basically stuck with all the software now so I have to have a PC built since I have sonar 8 which is a PC only DAW. How stable is the bootcamp program where you can run pc apps on a mac?

I still have to wait till my money is refunded lol, its basicaly a joke on me at this point. The nightmare continues

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
So if have a PC built how do i prevent anymore problems? I'm basically stuck with all the software now so I have to have a PC built since I have sonar 8 which is a PC only DAW. How stable is the bootcamp program where you can run pc apps on a mac?
I don't know about the stability of running sonar 8 on a mac. I know some people are able to run certain apps on the mac while others can't. However, I can tell you what to do when it comes to building a pc and it's the same thing I mentioned before. You need to hit the digi duc and look at the threads devoted to building a pc capable of running pro tools. There are literally thousands of pages of information pertaining to the topic and most of it is spread across two threads. The reason why I suggested this in the past is very simple. For the most part, pro tools is proprietary software that requires some type of hardware to run. Not only does it require hardware to run the app, it requires the correct hardware to run the app. In addition, the program is very taxing when it comes to your computers resources, so if you can build a digidesign approved pc capable of running pro tools, you can basically throw any audio app at it with no problems.

When you build your pc, you need to build it for stability and ability to upgrade instead of building it to have the latest,greatest and fastest specs.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
right on. I never opened sonar so i may be able to take it back and get Logic or the new cubase. Sonar looks pretty awsome though and if i'm stuck with it it would be best to have a PC built instead of chancing running it on the mac with bootcamp. I was looking at the ibuypower site that fatal nightmare posted and built a couple of pcs but never bought cuz i never saw a firewire option anywhere, i neeed to personally call these people. seems like their computers are more geard towards gaming than anything else