Neumann U87i

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
I was at my school's studio on Friday Night. Damn this mic is the shit, I just ran it through the mackie board. Fuck man, the vocals I recorded don't even need any compression whatsoever. I want one fo these so bad, but they are like 2500

Oct 10, 2002
skichdesigns.com
I was at one of my homiez crib and he had this mic that didnt need any pre-amps or compression like you said Big J....The mic laid down the track professional ass fuck..Dude said it costed like $2000....

Apr 26, 2002
Damn, I'm gettin' Scolded over here! lol!
They have better mic pre's. but there's nothing wrong with runnin' it through the mackie board, I've never had any problem with the pre amps on the board, they sound good.
Besides, in Recording there is no "proper technique" or "set if Rules" to follow

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Unless of course your folkz had a tube mic that had line level outputs, then you wouldn't need a mic pre. But if it's output is 48 volts ( like the NTK ) then you need a mic pre.

May 7, 2002
^^^

YOUNGMOE said:
putting a U87 through a mackie is like throwing a vovlo engine in a Lamborgini...ya fuckin shit up

git damn, there's no poitn of havin a Nuemann if you're gonna run it through a Mackie Board, dead serious...they really need to get a better micpre
Any recommendations for the pre's with that mic in particular... u87 << Old school version... Anything less than a avalon going to bring out the quality...

Oh ya Moe you stoppin by the Bay soon?

Apr 26, 2002
I was just pointing out that it's a really clean mic, and it sounded superb through just the Mackie.
and obviously it needs phantom power

Apr 25, 2002
tons of shit besides the avalon that will bring out the quality...try the HHB Radius Mic Pre's, Aphex 207, FRM RNP, Studio Project VT1(so i'm told), Grace 101, Summit TLA, all under $600 all good mic pre's

they all sound a lot different, so test them out, get the one that sounds best TO YOU...

and i'm actually in the bay right now...

May 7, 2002
^^

Ya those are the suspects Ive been peepin out... The RNP might be my next Selection.... Good reviews everywhere I see. Problem is there sold online through a website or off a link on Ebay. Cross my paws and hope for the best....

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Re: ^^

NorKoastal said:
The RNP might be my next Selection.... Good reviews everywhere I see. Problem is there sold online through a website or off a link on Ebay. Cross my paws and hope for the best....
Mercenary

Mercenary has one of the BEST REPUTAIONS ONLINE PERIOD. Every pro audio board I go to, no matter which one you will see 90% of the people point you to them.