Nader Urges NBA Commissioner David Stern to Initiate a Review of Officiating

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, June 4, 2002

For More Information Contact: Ralph Nader (202) 387-8030

Ralph Nader and League of Fans sent the following letter today to David J. Stern, Commissioner, National Basketball Association:

Dear Mr. Stern,

At a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by corporate executives, it is important, during the public's relaxation time, for there to be maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports performances. That sense was severely shaken in the now notorious officiating during Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings.

Calls by referees in the NBA are likely to be more subjective than in professional baseball or football. But as the judicious and balanced Washington Post sports columnist Michael Wilbon wrote this Sunday, too many of the calls in the fourth quarter (when the Lakers received 27 foul shots) were "stunningly incorrect," all against Sacramento. After noting that the three referees in Game 6 "are three of the best in the game," he wrote: "I have never seen officiating in a game of consequence as bad as that in Game 6....When Pollard, on his sixth and final foul, didn't as much as touch Shaq. Didn't touch any part of him. You could see it on TV, see it at courtside. It wasn't a foul in any league in the world. And Divac, on his fifth foul, didn't foul Shaq. They weren't subjective or borderline or debatable. And these fouls not only resulted in free throws, they helped disqualify Sacramento's two low-post defenders." And one might add, in a 106-102 Lakers' victory, this officiating took away what would have been a Sacramento series victory in 6 games.

This was not all. The Kobe Bryant elbow in the nose of Mike Bibby, who after lying on the floor groggy, went to the sideline bleeding, was in full view of the referee, who did nothing, prompted many fans to start wondering about what was motivating these officials.

Wilbon discounted any conspiracy theories about the NBA-NBC desire for a Game 7 etc., but unless the NBA orders a review of this game's officiating, perceptions and suspicions, however presently absent any evidence, will abound and lead to more distrust and distaste for the games in general. When the distinguished basketball writer for the USA Today, David DuPree, can say: "I've been covering the NBA for 30 years, and it's the poorest officiating in an important game I've ever seen," when Wilbon writes that "The Kings and Lakers didn't decide this series would be extended until Sunday; three referees did..." when many thousands of fans, not just those in Sacramento, felt that merit lost to bad refereeing, you need to take notice beyond the usual and widespread grumbling by fans and columnists about referees ignoring the rule book and giving advantages to home teams and superstars.

Your problem in addressing the pivotal Game 6 situation is that you have too much power. Where else can decision-makers (the referees) escape all responsibility to admit serious and egregious error and have their bosses (you) fine those wronged (the players and coaches) who dare to speak out critically?

In a February interview with David DuPree of USA Today, he asked you "Why aren't coaches and players allowed to criticize the referees?" You said, "...we don't want people questioning the integrity of officials. ...It just doesn't pay for us to do anything other than focus people on the game itself rather than the officiating." "Integrity" which we take you to mean "professionalism" of the referees has to be earned and when it is not, it has to be questioned. You and your league have a large and growing credibility problem. Referees are human and make mistakes, but there comes a point that goes beyond any random display of poor performance. That point was reached in Game 6 which took away the Sacramento Kings Western Conference victory.

It seems that you have a choice. You can continue to exercise your absolute power to do nothing. Or you can initiate a review and if all these observers and fans turn out to be right, issue, together with the referees, an apology to the Sacramento Kings and forthrightly admit decisive incompetence during Game 6, especially in the crucial fourth quarter.

You should know, however, that absolute power, if you choose the former course of inaction, invites the time when it is challenged and changed – whether by more withdrawal of fans or by more formal legal or legislative action. No government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up. There is no guarantee that this tyrannical status quo will remain stable over time, should you refuse to bend to reason and the reality of what occurred. A review that satisfies the fans' sense of fairness and deters future recurrences would be a salutary contribution to the public trust that the NBA badly needs.

We look forward to your considered response.

Sincerely,

Ralph Nader

Shawn McCarthy

Director, League of Fans

--------------------------------------------------------

League of Fans is an effort designed as a sports industry watchdog to

assure accountability to fans and less harm to the cities that host

sports franchises.

What more proof do you need? "Nice asterisk hanging from your WCF Championship you got there Lakers fan.

Apr 25, 2002
nah i wuz talkin to tha other Lakerz fan.
i agree tha Lakerz did get a few fucked up callz, but not nearly az much az tha Kingz. if tha tablez were turned, we all know tha Lakerz fanz would be throwin a fit. without a doubt they have tha worzt fanz in tha NBA (all together)

Apr 25, 2002
Fuck Ralph "Laker Hater" Nader

This muthafucka be killin me. Since he aint in the lime light no more in the media after that whack ass attempt at running for president, he wanna jump some NBA dick. What a hoe.

I think Magic Johnson said it best when he said "The Kings had thier chance game 7 to win, and they couldnt pull a win out" They basically fucked up. I guess that is do to inexperience since the kings aint never made it that far, they choked. Bibby played his ass off though.:classic:

May 27, 2002
www.google.com
FaTaL NyGhTmArE said:
nah i wuz talkin to tha other Lakerz fan.
i agree tha Lakerz did get a few fucked up callz, but not nearly az much az tha Kingz. if tha tablez were turned, we all know tha Lakerz fanz would be throwin a fit. without a doubt they have tha worzt fanz in tha NBA (all together)

i dont think they have the worst fans. and i wouldnt be bitchin about it either. and i meant that if you are going ot say the lkings got bad calls then say that the lakers got bad calls too. even though kings got it worse

Fila

www.sactownradio.com
Apr 25, 2002
www.sactownradio.com
Why would you call Ralph Nader a Laker hater?? Just because he aint riding their jock?? Anybody who dare mention how bad the officiating in that series was is an automatic Laker hater?? Nader is a Wizards fan, he has a neutral unbiased opinion, and everything he is saying there is right on. Your in denial if you dont see that...

May 12, 2002
They Kings also had a chance to wrap it up in game 6.Why didnt Magic mention that?Is he catching big dumb ass syndrom from Kazoom?Man Vlade needs to put his homie Magic in check.

Apr 25, 2002
@FILA

Ralph is hatin. Hatin that he aint in the lime light no more. With all the shit going on in the world and he IS a politician (or at least has dabbled in politics) he has nothing better to do but come to the defense of a wounded pride Kings team. If we go through the history of NBA games we will see alot of games with calls that may not have been to the liking of any paticular team. Kings got they ass whooped, period. They need to lick thier wounds and get ready to make another run for the title next year. Most definatley THEY NEED TO WORK ON THIER FREE THROWS...:confused:

Apr 25, 2002
tha Kingz only fucked up on free throwz that one game.
and thiz iz wut i mean by tha Lakerz have tha worzt fanz in tha NBA. all of them are in denial, making themselvez believe they are truely tha bezt team, when in fact they know itz not true. How can they be tha bezt team if they cant beat another team without bad officiating? another question, how did tha Kingz "get their assez whooped" if it went to O.T. in game SEVEN!? tha Lakerz BARELY squeeked by, even WITH BAD OFFICIATING IN THEIR FAVOR!!!! now tell me, how doez that make them Champz?
it doeznt.
also, mozt Laker fanz are bandwagon jumperz, and no im not calling any of you guyz bandwagon jumperz so dont get all defensive, but we all know tha majority of your fellow "Laker fanz" are ex-bullz fanz.

May 12, 2002
^^^You hit the mark right there.I just want to add that the Bulls miss all their fans.When Phil left the team split and the fans were ghost.When Phil leaves LA I see the same shit poppin off.Hes in his last few seasons even he said it.When that shit goes down the true Laker fans will be shown and these other dynasty fans will be ghost.These fools that just want to ride with the winning team.Im saying King$ win or lose It wont get any worse than the early 90's.Believe that.

Apr 25, 2002
bazketball aint my sport, but i am a Kingz fan. i aint no die hard fan, but when it comez to BBall ive alwayz lyked tha Kingz and i alwayz will. i aint ignorant on bazketball either, i know wut every fan should know, but itz juzt not my fav sport. id say it runz 2nd on my lizt. Football on tha other hand IZ my sport! 9erz all tha way!