My View on Movie Piracy

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
I'd like to know how others feel about it. Personally, my stance is that no one is losing money from me whether or not I have the opportunity to see a movie early for free. I have learned how to get my hands on free tickets to early theatrical screenings. Sometimes I can do this, and sometimes I cannot. But the bottom line is that if I have no plans to pay to see a movie in the theater, then I will not. It doesn't matter if free opportunities are available or not.

I might have to wait for the movie to come out on blu-ray/dvd before I can download it to watch, or I might not even bother to do that and instead wait for it to be on TV before I watch it. And if it turns out that I really like the movie, I make plans to purchase the blu-ray.

I suppose there are potentially the type of pirates that will never spend money on a movie, but I have never met any of them. Everyone I know feels the same way I do: that if they like a movie, they will plan to purchase it on dvd or blu-ray in the near future.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the issue. What say others?

Apr 25, 2002
Movie piracy has never stopped me from going to the theater to see a movie. It has also never stopped me from buying a movie on DVD. It may have stopped me from renting a movie though.

Jul 27, 2009
i feel the same way breh. i download a movie. and if i really like it, ill be happy to spend money on the dvd or blu ray. just the other day i spent about 150 dollars buying movies that ive been planning to buy for a long time. and i still got a lot of movies to buy before im satisfied.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
For example, I was able to get my hands on free passes to an early screening of Inception. This was a movie that I planned on seeing in theaters one way or another. And I liked it so much that I paid to see it in IMAX its opening weekend. When it comes out on Blu-ray, you can bet your ass I'll be picking it up; probably that boxset that comes in the suitcase-looking container. Speaking of boxsets, I plan on buying the Park Chanwook Vengeance trilogy tin boxset on blu-ray, despite that I've bought each of those movies at least once already.

In the meantime, I really wish I could download a good screener copy of Inception.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
I like foreign, buying copies is the only way to see some films at times, and the runs are so limited, you kind of have to jump on a chance to buy it. I haven't been doing it lately, but I'm waiting on some new stuff to drop from directors I like, or to find copies of movies I've been looking for.

I wouldn't support maybe, 95% of American films because it's like the mainstream rap game, absolutely terrible compared to how it used to be. There are a few I really like, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

Jul 27, 2009
For example, I was able to get my hands on free passes to an early screening of Inception. This was a movie that I planned on seeing in theaters one way or another. And I liked it so much that I paid to see it in IMAX its opening weekend. When it comes out on Blu-ray, you can bet your ass I'll be picking it up; probably that boxset that comes in the suitcase-looking container.

In the meantime, I really wish I could download a good screener copy of Inception.
i feel the same exact way

Jun 5, 2004
IF THE MOVIE IS GOOD ENOUGH, I WILL PAY TO GO SEE IT AND/OR BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT.

RECENTLY I GOT A BITTORRENT SITE WHICH ALLOWS ME TO DL LIKE ANY MOVIE, THE MOVIES I D/L ARE 720P OR BETTER. IM MOST LIKELY GONNA SELL MOST OF MY DVDS AND BLU-RAYS BUT IM KEEPING THE GOOD BLU-RAYS WITH GOOD VISUAL EFFECTS BECAUSE I DONT THINK THAT MY LABTOP DELIVERS THE FULL-HD TO MY TV EVEN IF THE MOVIE IS IN 1080P. SO IM KEEPIN SHIT LIKE 300, SIN CITY MOVIES, BATMAN MOVIES, DISTRICT 9, ETC. BUT IMA SELL SHIT LIKE RESIORVOR DOGS, BLACK SNAKE MOAN, ETC. STILL GONNABUY OCCASIONALLY BUT THAT SHIT IS LITERALLY WAAAY TOO EXPENSIVE. I GOT SO MANY DOWNLOADED MOVIES I MIGHT INVEST IN A BLU-RAY BURNER.

i feel the same way breh. i download a movie. and if i really like it, ill be happy to spend money on the dvd or blu ray. just the other day i spent about 150 dollars buying movies that ive been planning to buy for a long time. and i still got a lot of movies to buy before im satisfied.
WHAT U GET?
For example, I was able to get my hands on free passes to an early screening of Inception. This was a movie that I planned on seeing in theaters one way or another. And I liked it so much that I paid to see it in IMAX its opening weekend. When it comes out on Blu-ray, you can bet your ass I'll be picking it up; probably that boxset that comes in the suitcase-looking container. Speaking of boxsets, I plan on buying the Park Chanwook Vengeance trilogy tin boxset on blu-ray, despite that I've bought each of those movies at least once already.

THERES A DECENT 720P CAM OUT HTATS THE BEST IVE SEEN, IM GETTIN THE BLU-RAY WHEN IT COMES OUT, HOPEFULLY ITS LIKE 24.99

Sep 29, 2003
Movie piracy has never stopped me from going to the theater to see a movie. It has also never stopped me from buying a movie on DVD. It may have stopped me from renting a movie though.
this

its the same thing as pirating music.....It makes me happy. I'm sure it makes everyone else happy too.....The way I see it, if everyone is happy, why stop a good thing...These companies are gonna hafta figure out new revenue streams...Fire all the old grey haired men running ideas in the boardrooms and get young fresh minds in there

Aug 24, 2003
thread creator is a no good thief.

you purchase the movie to watch it, PERIOD
think of the process, from pre movie rumors, to the theatre previews, to the actors going on night talk shows, to the movie launching, to hearing all the reviews from critics and friends, to actually seeing the movie in theatres or buying the movie. they have a product and you purchase it to see (use) it. the movie case itself is a carefully crafted piece of advertising; think of all the money and work that goes into making the cover and posters and all of that.

what gives you the right to bypass all of that and steal the movie viewing? thats what you are doing, you're stealing their product by viewing it and not paying for it. you have to pay to see their product, whether you like the movie or not afterwards is of no consequence. you are using the product without paying and then deciding to pay for it afterwards. too little too late.

would you go into a grocery store and open a soda, drink the whole entire thing down, eat an entire rotisserie chicken, and then bring the empty bottle and chicken bones to the register and say, "OH i liked your product, I plan to buy this in the near future." No, you'd be shoplifting, like the no good thief that you are.

you are a bad person. quit breaking the law by using something you did not pay for. and you're also a bad person for not telling the truth. you know damn well you've stolen at least one movie viewing in your lifetime and then decided the product wasnt good enough to pay for.

Sep 29, 2003

would you go into a grocery store and open a soda, drink the whole entire thing down, eat an entire rotisserie chicken, and then bring the empty bottle and chicken bones to the register and say, "OH i liked your product, I plan to buy this in the near future." No, you'd be shoplifting, like the no good thief that you are.

i have done this several times...

you are a bad person. quit breaking the law by using something you did not pay for. and you're also a bad person for not telling the truth. you know damn well you've stolen at least one movie viewing in your lifetime and then decided the product wasnt good enough to pay for.

i have also done this several times....I will only purchase movies that warrant repeat viewings...

Here is a list of movies I have seen rthis year:

From Paris With Love
Get Him To The Greek
Killers
Predators
Robin Hood
The Expendables
The Karate Kid
Kick Ass
Cairo Time
The Experiment
Green Zone
Macgruber
The Tooth Fairy
Invictus
Little Big Soldier
The Descent

out of all these movies, of varying genres, I would, and will, purchase the Expendables, Kick Ass and maybe Robin Hood if it goes on sale because I believe 25$ is way too much for a BlueRay movie.....

In return, I ask you, how would you feel if you go into a beautiful steak house. You are absolutely famished...They greet you politely, and sit you at a nice, quiet table. The place is decorated nicely; very pleasing to the eyes. You pick up the menu. It's a nice looking menu, covered with supple leather....and proceed to read the item desriptions....they sound so delicious you can almost taste them. You order a big fuckin 16 oz new york steak, medium/rare with a fully loaded baked potato, roasted vegetables.

Then they bring your food, you can see it coming across the restaraunt and get so excited, you cant wait to dig in...the sever places it in front of you, and its an 8 oz top round. You cut the steak in half and its burned so its tougher than leather. Full of fat and gristle inside. You try a bite of the potato and its cold because its been sitting on the counter, and the vegetables look like they are from a frozen meal package....But you can't send it back because you've already cut the steak, and aten a bite of the potato...So you end up paying for your meal and leave feeling ripped off.......That's how I wouldfeel after watching most of those garbage movies on the list there, had I paid for em...haha...I work way too hard for my money to throw it away like that

oh yeah, not to mention you had to share that experience with your girlfriend or wife/family....

Aug 24, 2003
i have done this several times...
you're a shoplifter. it doesnt matter if you eat one chip out of a bag of chips while the cashier was ringing the bag up. if you opened it and used it before you paid for it you stole it period. the law is on the side of the store. you should be so lucky that they were corrupt and let you get away with it

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
thread creator is a no good thief.

you purchase the movie to watch it, PERIOD
think of the process, from pre movie rumors, to the theatre previews, to the actors going on night talk shows, to the movie launching, to hearing all the reviews from critics and friends, to actually seeing the movie in theatres or buying the movie. they have a product and you purchase it to see (use) it. the movie case itself is a carefully crafted piece of advertising; think of all the money and work that goes into making the cover and posters and all of that.

what gives you the right to bypass all of that and steal the movie viewing? thats what you are doing, you're stealing their product by viewing it and not paying for it. you have to pay to see their product, whether you like the movie or not afterwards is of no consequence. you are using the product without paying and then deciding to pay for it afterwards. too little too late.

You haven't been paying attention. If I have no desire to pay to see a movie in theaters, then I will not pay to see it in theaters, regardless if an early screener leaks online. So, it is not like these leaked screeners are taking revenue away from the studios on my part. And if no screener pops up, I can always wait until I can download a retail dvd rip. Or sometimes I don't even bother to do that. Instead, I'll wait for the movie to come out on TV. And I have limited space on my computer, so I don't keep movies forever. Think of it like borrowing a movie from a friend. I bet you'll do that for free, you no good thief.

No. I would not do this. I would also not go into a movie theater and take reels of film. Your analogy is not applicable to what I'm talking about.

you know damn well you've stolen at least one movie viewing in your lifetime and then decided the product wasnt good enough to pay for.
Damn my eyes! But damn yours too. You know damn well you've stolen at least one movie viewing in your lifetime by borrowing a movie from someone or watching it on TV.