[Mr Stinky Interview]

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2003
www.soundclick.com
MR. STINKY
WWS MAG: When and why did you start Dedicated Records?
Rap was something that I’ve always wanted to do. At first, I wanted to get a record deal. Then I did a show back in 1996 with Master P, and he told me to start my own label and don’t sign to any major label because you get more money. He was telling me that if I sell 100,000 copies, then I would make a million dollars underground. If I got with a mainstream label, I would sell a million copies and only make a hundred thousand dollars. So, I was trying to reverse the game. Everyone wants to run big s***. I wanted to have my own.

On your album Holdin’ Court in the Streets, you have guest features with Messy Marv and Luni Corleone. How did you make that happen? How did you connect with the folks from Cali?
I hooked up with Luni Corleone years back from C-Bo. I did a show with C-Bo and Master P in 1996, and I did a couple more with C-Bo throughout the years. He hooked me up with Luni Corleone. Luni then hooked me up with Messy Marv, but I had met Marv on a whole other occasion before that. At the time, he was hot in KC so I put him on there as a feature. I was feeling his music. I’ll f*** with anybody that I feel is real.
What’s your overall message in your songs? I know you have something for everybody, but what is the overall message of your music?
That’s a hard question to answer because I’ve got a lot of messages. I rap in so many different ways and so many different styles plus I have so many different kinds of audiences. I guess one of my main messages is, everything that you’ve been through, I’ve been through, and probably worse. I’m really trying to make it and I’m passed all of that. I’m trying to show people that the s*** is petty. My overall message is really to respect me as an artist. Welcome me to the industry with open arms. Welcome me to the game.
On the track that you have with Tech N9ne called Mr. Get Over, you speak a lot about pimping. Is that for real?
I’ll tell you how for real it is. It’s so for real that right now I’m on probation for promoting prostitution. Yes, it is for real. Really, the whole Holdin’ Court in the Streets album was funded by nothing but prostitution. So, you know, it’s definitely real.
What are you doing right now in correspondence to the album? What are you doing to promote it?
Right now I’m here in Denver, Colorado with some concert promoters. I’m always doing shows. I’m always featured on tracks. I’m always doing interviews with magazines like I’m doing right now. CD’s, flyers, posters, visiting stores, visiting towns, attacking clubs, I’m doing everything I can in my power to become the man I’m trying to be. I eat, sleep and s*** rap. When I wake up, I’ll go to the McDonald’s drive-thru and they will be getting a postcard or CD, I don’t give a f***. Any person that says hi to me or looks at me, I’m on you about my music. I’m hungry. I’m hungry for it.
Rest in peace to the player Mac Dre, but being the fact that you’re from Kansas City and he got gunned down there, what do you feel about the situation?
I feel f***ed up about it because I had a show in Portland, and I had to cancel my show. Whoever killed Mac Dre, they killed a west coast legend. I grew up on him. I’ve been listening to Mac Dre since 1992. I had spoken with him a couple of times on the phone and did a couple of shows with him. I was supposed to do some songs with him. I was looking forward to working with him. They killed a part of the industry because Kansas City is connected with the west coast. I think they killed our connection with the west. I couldn’t even go do my show in Portland because mother f***ers would have iced me. As soon as I got there, they would have shot me. So now I can’t even go to the west anymore because some idiot here smoked Mac Dre. I’ve never seen Mac Dre being a bad person. He kicks it and does his thing. He talks about his women, drugs and getting money. He wasn’t talking about gangbanging and s*** or none of that bulls***. He had an original sound and brought something different to the game. Really, I’m kind of pissed off about it.
How is the rap scene looking like in Kansas City right now man?
It’s stupid and dry. That is my answer, stupid, dry and full of haters. There is no unity. Everybody is stepping on each other’s toes to get to the top. It’s terrible, just terrible.
Tell me about your next release. What do you have planned? What do you have coming up?

Right now I’m working on a double CD. Just for the fact that I do rap music and I do reggae music, I’m working on a double CD. I’m trying to please all my fans at one time. I’m doing ten rap, and ten reggae. The name of the album is called Everyting Dead. When you hear it, you will not be able to believe it. On one side I’ve got the American cover, and on the other side I’ve got the Jamaican cover. On this album, you will get to know the real me. This will be my resume album. Even though I’ve got my underground label and everything, it’s hard to do this independently unless you get a big break like Master P or Jay-Z. So right now, I’m out searching for a record deal, so any mainstream company that is listening right now, I’m looking for mainstream distribution and a mainstream record deal right now. I’ll come back and pick up my label later. But this next album is my resume album. I’m making this to get signed as an artist.
What else do you do besides music?
Nothing. I sell rims and I take care of my kids. That’s it. Any kind of rims you want, I can get them for you. I take care of my kids and try to stay humble and keep myself alive in these streets so I can be somebody and make it in life. Like I said… I eat, sleep and s*** hip-hop. I’m always trying to make it.
What can expect to see out of Dedicated Records five years from now?
I’ll probably be on a Jay-Z status, but in a different way. Maybe half of his money because I don’t need all of that extra money. You’ll see something different. You’ll see a man who is a movement, a man that is in a struggle. You’ll see a man who is trying to do something with the community giving back. I’m not just a rapper or a gangster. I’ve lived that and it’s cool, but for real, I’m a man of God, and I’ve got some love to give back to the community. I’ve got some knowledge to give to the people. I’ve got some words that if I say right now, the government would make sure I never make it. I’m going to wait until I get to this high position. I’ve got something to teach my black people before I leave this earth.

source:http://www.wwsmag.com/archive/interviews/7/mrstinky.htm

Apr 29, 2005
You’ll see a man who is a movement, a man that is in a struggle. You’ll see a man who is trying to do something with the community giving back. I’m not just a rapper or a gangster. I’ve lived that and it’s cool, but for real, I’m a man of God, and I’ve got some love to give back to the community. I’ve got some knowledge to give to the people. I’ve got some words that if I say right now, the government would make sure I never make it. I’m going to wait until I get to this high position. I’ve got something to teach my black people before I leave this earth.
That's Real Talk; and I can respect your goals and vision, but when pitted against the Men of God, this government is absolutley powerless. There's no need to wait for a higher position; If you have something to teach, then teach it NOW, because tomorrow is never promised. If you haven't heard "The Movement: Volume 1" go ahead and cop it at 7th Heaven, or wherever you see the ILMOBB Street Team in K.C. - Let the New Man be you and Prepare for the Rise of the Movement !!!

Let it be known from this moment and forever more. I didn't come to bow I come to conquer! This project "The Movement" is an ongoing process that we put forth because it was a command from our Lord. This effort was brought forth by a "New" Man. This man is not willing to stand by and accept downpression from black or white downpressors. Whether "B" or "C" anywhere in this whole universal sphere Unity and Justice are the first two principles of this program and the complete overstanding and application of these principles is mandatory. This goes beyond theory. This is what I'm dying on. Keep this dialogue going because it's positive, but overall action is what is necessary. Our enemy is unified against us in every way and I consider anyone willing to participate in the destruciton of our being whether through ignorance or greed my eternal enemy and I declare my intention to correct them in whatever way possible. I will forever hate them in my heart, speak against them with my tongue, and slaughter them with my hands. Let the New Man be you, and prepare yourself for the rise of The Movement. / SHAHID MUSTAFA

Status
Not open for further replies.