MPCs compared to other setups

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I've been just using reason and cubase for a long time and was wondering what if any bonuses I'd get out of getting myself an mpc 2000 or 2500 or MV8000 aside from having a sexy new machine to play with as opposed to just using a sequencer, rack gear vsts etc? Will I get a better sound with the same stuff being sequenced through the mpc? Whats so special about it?

I got the Korg pad control but it just has a cheap feel to it just like all the other pad controllers, love using pads though.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The bonus would be having the ability to sync more equipment. Another bonus would be sampling. Will you get a better AUDIO sound by running your gear through the mpc? IMHO the answer is no. I would prefer to keep my chain short and running equipment through an mpcs pre amps, through the converters, out the back and into another pre, another set of converters etc doesn't make much sense. Can it be done? yes. Is it done often? Yes. Would I do it? No.

What I would do is use the MPC as a "hub" of some sort. Route the majority of your gear to the mpc, but slave the mpc to the master device (your sequencer for example.)

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Wouldn't you be better off with a midi interface an audio interface and a DAW? You would get more for your money thats for sure but I still want to get one to see what all the hype is all about, i love the feel of their pads and the korg one i got is kinda buggy and doesn't feel anywhere as nice as the mpc or the roland.

The assignment of the pads on the korg controller is ran by this software and i swear the shit doesn't work right. You assign the pads to keys and it doesn't do shit. Scene 11 is the only one that is any correct order and all the rest of them are all set up in this jambled ass order that wouldn't do anyone any good. makes me want to take the damn thing back.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Wouldn't you be better off with a midi interface an audio interface and a DAW?
Better off as in saving money? Yes. Better off as in work flow or capabilities? That depends on how you work. I have gotten far without using an mpc and to be honest I never saw a practical use for it in my setup and how I work. When things become situated I'll bust the 4000 out and finally ease it into my setup but for now I am content.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
heres a dumb question, can you run VSTs through an MPC? I'm pretty sure you can but i just wanna make sure

I've been peeping ebay and have been finding some deals on alot of stuff and want to really start putting things together. I want a solid hardware/software setup and just want to know what i can and can't do with certain components.

Apr 25, 2002
I agree with everything Heresy has said. Also, the MPC is nothing more than a sampling drum machine with a built-in midi sequencer. If you have money to spend, I would strongly recommend upgrading other parts of your setup (audio interface, mic, mic preamp, compressor, etc...) before investing in something that won't allow you to do something you're not able to do already.

From the sound of it, the only real advantage might be to your workflow as Heresy pointed out. If using the MPC can somehow make making music better/easier for you then the investment to be worth it. Or if you have clients who have their heart set on using one.

I have a few of them and honestly, they almost never get any action these days. For me they used to be the center piece, now they're pretty much eye candy.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
All the producers I know or know of use mpc,some use other things as well such as sp1200,asr10,asrx,etc depending what type of beat they trying to do,all of them use the mpc as the sequencer,even though there motif,tritons,fantoms have sequencers.My boy raw steel who did that song they play on kday comptons back with mceiht,chill,and kingt,he uses the mpc,Chill from cmw uses the mpc,battlecat still uses the mpc,I know personally that they all have tried software,used everysequencer they had..but still use the mpc...........again I would never buy something cause someone else has it...thats why I bought an rs7000 originally, after i got rid of that and got my mpc3000...Im makin beats that actually sound pretty good,and getting better,I could probably be just as good on the rs7000 now,but I will always use my mpc3000 until I upgrade to the 4000 if i ever do.