MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
The Barn Cat is back in the UFC, great signing.

Welcome To The UFC: Tamdan McCrory | UFC &reg - News

When asked about his last two professional performances – a pair of first-round finishes that earned him a new contract with the UFC – Tamdan McCrory summed things up nicely.

“Obviously I carry with me some boom sticks and some jiu-jitsu skills,” McCrory said.

Don’t remember Tamdan McCrory? That’s OK; he’s eager to get fans reacquainted with his game. When it comes to fighting, McCrory has a simple philosophy: Finish fast.

“You don’t get paid by the minute, so my goal is always to win and to do it quick,” McCrory said. “My M.O. all along has been to come out and look for the finish.”

“The Barn Cat” stepped away from the sport back in 2009 after he was released from the UFC following his third loss in six fights with the organization.

McCrory has had his ups and downs over the past six years on his way back to mixed martial arts. He lost all of 2010 to a host of minor injuries – 2013, too. Then in 2011, he got married and his wife gave birth to their daughter, Keelin, who was born six weeks early. “That was a long, troubling time,” McCrory said.

But despite the hard times, McCrory knew he loved to fight and the only place he wanted to be was in the UFC.

“I left a title shot in [my last promotion] to come to the UFC,” McCrory said. “If I wanted to win that belt I could have stayed and done it, but I wanted to be back in the sport of MMA, not the MMA entertainment business.”

No fight has been booked for the returning McCrory yet, but he is eyeing a return to the Octagon sometime in October or November. He has his eyes on the top fighters in the middleweight division and he’s ready to make a statement.

“I wouldn’t have come back if I didn’t believe wholeheartedly that I could come back and just wreck house,” McCrory said.

May 2, 2015
LMAO Reebok deal is getting worse as more info comes out. Turns out the fighters only get $3 from each sale of those $90 Reebok kit jerseys with their names on it.

I've never heard of an industry where an athlete gets such a small percentage of an item with their name or likeness on it.
I think that's because the athletes in this sport are the dumbest ones that will literally take any monetary reward in exchange for a bodily beatdown.

Apr 25, 2002
I think that's because the athletes in this sport are the dumbest ones that will literally take any monetary reward in exchange for a bodily beatdown.
yeah that.

but that's cus the sport started out as UFC on PPV. it takes forever to make stars and build a sport just off PPV. UFC's current position and power in the mma world is only like 5 years old. they're barely just going mainstream with Rousey. the PPV is still fucking them up as far as building the sport. they're only building Rousey, and McGregor.

the sport itself has changed hella through the years as far as skilled combat, but UFC's still on some old ass shit as far as marketing. their foxsports1 deal is wack and they got like 3 more years of that shit. and no one really knows the other televised mma promotions so those don't really help grow the sport too much.

I think if Mia St. John woulda continued mma she woulda blew the sport up and fighters would be getting paid a lot more nowadays. Gina Carano and Ronda Rousey both kinda did what dude fighters could never do to grow the sport. Mia woulda took it to another level. it'll probably take 2 or 3 more generations before mma is any where near the regularly televised pro sports.

Feb 10, 2006
Kinberly Novaes fought while three months pregnant – and won an MMA ti

Taking part in an MMA bout – and actually winning a title – while three months pregnant? Kinberly Novaes said it was never her plan.

Novaes (8-2), a four-year vet of the Brazilian fight circuit, earned a decision victory over strawweight Renata Baldan (4-2) on May 17 at Noxii Combat 1.

Prior to the fight, which marked Novaes’ eighth victory in nine fights, she said her weight cut was tougher than usual, but she had no idea what the real issue was.

“The only thing that felt different, compared to other fights, was some difficulty in making weight,” she told MMAjunkie. “Weight-cut week was very painful and draining. I was very dehydrated. I felt bad on weigh-in day. But I felt fine during the fight. We fought for three rounds. I won by decision. I felt nothing different during the fight itself.”

So, Novaes returned to training. She was then offered a fight at Friday’s RFA 29 event in South Dakota. The organization, which has proven to be a talent pipeline to the UFC, could’ve given the Brazilian some North American visibility and possibly opened the door for a spot on the UFC’s roster. So she jumped into training camp, though she soon realized something wasn’t right.

“I increased the training intensity for that fight,” she said. “Toward the end of preparations, I noticed how difficult it was to shed weight. I was being very careful with my diet, but I couldn’t lose the weight. I was far above the ideal weight. Every day I felt more fatigue, muscle cramps, and my legs felt especially tired. Toward the last few weeks, my immunity was very low. I was training hard, but I always had a cold. Everyday, something else was off.”

And her weight continued to be an issue. Still unaware she was pregnant, she took drastic measures to try to get to the 116-pound limit for her planned bout.

“With less than a month to go, I started a very strict diet,” she said. “I was constipated, and I thought that might be the culprit. I drank tea, took laxatives, had massages. Nothing worked.

“With three weeks to go, I was getting desperate. I started having abdominal pains. I started experiencing colic, and my stomach felt hard. I thought it was constipation or perhaps a more serious illness. I thought it might be my appendix.”

She reluctantly went to the emergency room, and there, she was finally hit with reality. A doctor said she might be pregnant. Novaes insisted she wasn’t and demanded an X-ray to prove it was some other issue at play. The doctor, though, said he couldn’t perform an X-ray on a potentially pregnant woman. Instead, he ordered a blood test, and shortly afterward, Novaes got her answer.

“And that’s when I found out, in the most unexpected way, that I was indeed pregnant,” she said.

In fact, she was 25 weeks pregnant, as Primeiro Round first reported. After a quick mental calculation, she then realized she had fought at the May 17 Noxii Combat event – while three months pregnant.

Novaes said she’s thankful the doctor assured her everything looks fine with the pregnancy, despite the fight and a pair of fight camps. She’s expected to get birth to a boy in November.

So why did it take so long for her notice? Although her fight-camp struggles were concerning, she said that weren’t all that unusual. Additionally, though she quit menstruating before her May fight, even that didn’t call for much worrying.

“I’ve looked into this, and I’ve talked to my doctor about it,” she said. “It’s very common for athletes to be unaware of a pregnancy. Firstly, high-performance athletes usually don’t menstruate due to excessive physical effort. Also, the musculature itself makes it so the pregnancy takes longer to show. The symptoms can be confused with normal tiredness or illnesses that occur during training. There have been several cases like this. Some athletes didn’t know they were pregnant until they went into labor.”

Additionally, the Brazilian promoter never had the female fighters take a pregnancy test, which is a common practice for organization’s like the all-female Invicta FC promotion. Promoter Bruno Barros told MMAFighting.com that Noxii Combat doesn’t fall under the regulation of Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) and that it was “my fault” he didn’t think to order the tests.

Had she somehow gone through with this week’s RFA fight, the pregnancy should’ve been detected since they’re required in North America, “but in Brazil it’s very unlikely that a pregnancy test will be done,” she said. “I personally never had one before. I’ve had 10 professional MMA bouts, and I’ve never had a pregnancy test. Only hepatitis and HIV tests have been required.”

Feb 10, 2006
Uriah Hall in for injured Roan Carneiro vs. Gegard Mousasi at UFC Fight Night 75 in J

An injury has caused yet another change to a scheduled UFC co-main event.

Roan Carneiro (20-9 MMA, 3-3 UFC) is unable to compete in his slated bout against Gegard Mousasi (37-5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 75. Uriah Hall (11-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) will step in to face Mousasi in the middleweight co-headliner in Japan.

UFC officials announced the switch Wednesday evening.

UFC Fight Night 75 is scheduled for Sept. 26 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on the same channel and UFC Fight Pass.

Carneiro has not competed since a first-round submission of Mark Munoz at UFC 184 in February. It was his return to the organization after more than six years and “Jucao” earned a win that put him on the radar at 185 pounds.

The Brazilian was forced to undergo elbow surgery following the memorable win. It’s unknown if the latest injury is related to the surgery.

Mousasi has been no stranger to replacement opponents throughout his 44-fight career. “The Dreamcatcher” has managed to make it work, though, because he’s currently on a two-fight UFC winning streak with impressive performances against Costas Philippou and Dan Henderson.

The former Strikeforce and DREAM champion has not competed in Japan in more than five years and UFC Fight Night 75 will mark his first contest in the country since July 2011.

Hall will look to spoil Mousasi’s return to “The Land of the Rising Sun,” and in the process, earn the most significant victory of his career.

“The Ultimate Fighter 17” runner-up is fresh off a first-round TKO of Oluwale Bamgbose at UFC Fight Night 73 earlier this month and will look to win for the fifth time in his past six UFC appearances at the expense of Mousasi.

Feb 10, 2006
Report: Mark Hunt vs. 'Bigfoot' Silva 2 targeted for November's UFC 193 in Australia

A rematch of one of the bloodiest fights in recent memory appears to be headed to Australia this fall.

Mark Hunt (10-10-1 MMA, 5-4-1 UFC) and Antonio Silva (19-7-1 MMA, 3-4-1 UFC), according to recent reports, will run it back at UFC 193 in November. MMAfighting.com and FOXSports.com recently reported that verbal commitments are in place for the rematch.

UFC 193 takes place Sunday, Nov. 15, in Melbourne, Australia, though a venue hasn’t been finalized (the UFC has reserved both Etihad Stadium and Rod Laver Arena). Due to the time difference, the pay-per-view main card, which precedes prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass, airs in the U.S. on Saturday, Nov. 14. UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler meets Carlos Condit in the main event.

Hunt and “Bigfoot” first fought in the main event of UFC Fight Night 33, which took place in Brisbane, Australia, in December 2013. The fight ended in a majority draw. One judge had the fight 48-47 for Hunt, while two others scored it a 47-47 draw.

The five-round heavyweight war was given “Fight of the Night” honors, but in the wake of the event, Silva tested positive for elevated testosterone levels. He was suspended for nine months, and Hunt received Silva’s $50,000 bonus money.

After that fight, Hunt picked up another bonus with a knockout of Roy Nelson in the main event of UFC Fight night 52 in Japan. Then he fought Fabricio Werdum for the interim heavyweight title at UFC 180 in November 2014. He lost that fight by second-round TKO. In May in Australia, he was stopped midway through the fifth round by Stipe Miocic.

After Silva seres his suspension, he returned in September 2014 in a main event against Andrei Arlovski in his native Brazil. There, Arlovski pulled off an upset with a first-round knockout. “Bigfoot” then headlined another card in his home country in February, but was stopped, again in the first round, by Frank Mir. But at UFC 190 earlier this month, “Bigfoot” picked up his first win since February 2013 when he stopped Soa Palelei with a second-round TKO in Rio de Janeiro.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
lol holy shit the UFC is shady as fuck.

Remember when the UFC announced Ronda vs. Meisha III after Ronda crushed Bethe? Apparently they changed their minds. They just announced Ronda vs. Holly Holm, what makes it fucked up is they didn't even tell Miesha, she found out through the media LMAO

Miesha was apparently already training and her sponsors were also under the impression she was fighting Ronda. Damn they fucked Miesha.

Miesha Tate's manager 'shocked' and 'disappointed' about Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm UFC 195 title fight news - MMAmania.com

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Holm has looked like garbage in the UFC so far and Miesha is the only person that has ever actually given Ronda a fight. It almost feels like Ronda pulled Dana's card and asked for the easier fight.

I think Ronda knows she'll steamroll Holm and Meisha would actually give her problems again.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
lol holy shit the UFC is shady as fuck.

Remember when the UFC announced Ronda vs. Meisha III after Ronda crushed Bethe? Apparently they changed their minds. They just announced Ronda vs. Holly Holm, what makes it fucked up is they didn't even tell Miesha, she found out through the media LMAO

Miesha was apparently already training and her sponsors were also under the impression she was fighting Ronda. Damn they fucked Miesha.

Miesha Tate's manager 'shocked' and 'disappointed' about Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm UFC 195 title fight news - MMAmania.com
she getting that reebok money you think she really cares bout the other sponsors

Apr 25, 2002
RFA and Adidas deal.

RFA set to debut U.S.A. vs. Brazil fight kits - MMA Fighting

When the fighters at RFA 29 walk out to compete on Friday night on AXS TV, they'll be an unusual difference from normal RFA events. Not only is the theme of RFA 29 a slide toward nationalism with a 'U.S.A vs. Brazil' framing, but the organization is also requiring fighters to wear Adidas-made fight kits.

The UFC debuted Reebok-made fight kits in July, making it the first combat sports organization to sign an exclusive apparel deal for its athletes. RFA becomes the second in mixed martial arts.

"It seems ideal to do the RFA: USA vs. Brazil and kick it like that. [UFC welterweight champion Robbie] Lawler's going to be the team captain for U.S.A. and Lyoto [Machida] is the team captain for Team Brazil. It's just in the spirit of good fun and passion," says Scott Viscomi, President of Adidas Combat Sports USA.

According to Viscomi, there are some key differences between what RFA is experimenting with and what UFC is doing. For starters, all fighters get to keep their sponsors. Fighters were asked to send their logos to RFA, who then had the gear made with everyone's listed sponsors represented.

"We shot this thing out today and we sent it back to the fighter room and fighters," says Viscomi. "We then delivered it to the printers so the fighters could basically get their logos put on there and collect their cash. I think it's kind of done right and in the true spirit of things." However, unlike the UFC's arrangement with Reebok, RFA's fighters are not being directly compensated for wearing Adidas gear for this event.

The other difference is that these kits are temporary. After Friday, there is no plan to keep the kits in use, although RFA isn't ruling them out for future use either. Viscomi claims the kits were used this team because the team vs. team approach created an easy opportunity to explore the idea.

"This is something that is a good step forward. You will see us debuting our own Adidas MMA and Adidas Jiu-Jitsu no gi training looks here starting in September that will resemble this sort of composition, but there was an easy way to execute here and sort of ethos, aesthetic of the way we're going to do things.

"We're not going to try to go head-to-head with what Reebok and the UFC are doing," he continues. "We just thought this was a great idea. It's our take on it. It goes with the national sport theme. People can get nationalistic and fun and it's meant in the true spirit of a fashion collab. This is meant to be fun, build some excitement and get people talking."

Viscomi also believes this isn't something done as a pivot off of UFC's arrangement with Reebok or any other sporting apparel deal. For Adidas Combat Sports and RFA, this is little more than seizing an opportunity, one they believe is no-lose and beneficial for all stakeholders.

"This is not a f--k you to Reebok or the UFC or anything like that," he argues. "This is just something that makes sense because we're already doing RFA: U.S.A. vs. Brazil. We thought, 'Wouldn't this be a great thing to do for the fans and the fighters themselves and then get the team captains involved.'"

the shorts aint that bad of a base. especially if they have other patches on them. a lot better than Reebok.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
That's weird considering Adidas owns Reebok. Why wouldn't Adidas push Reebok gear for RFA since it's trying to push the Reebook/MMA line with Ronda in commercials and all that shit.

Seems counterproductive for the company to basically pit Adidas vs. Reebok in the MMA gear market when the market is already so small and niche.

Apr 25, 2002
That's weird considering Adidas owns Reebok. Why wouldn't Adidas push Reebok gear for RFA since it's trying to push the Reebook/MMA line with Ronda in commercials and all that shit.

Seems counterproductive for the company to basically pit Adidas vs. Reebok in the MMA gear market when the market is already so small and niche.
it's weird. Adidas is obviously trying to crack mma. it's like they threw Reebok to UFC as a trial. Adidas now does smaller RFA but has a whole different contract. something more safe.

kinda surprised the deal wasn't with Bellator since it's bigger, but RFA is the official feeder. and the deal might not go further than tonights fights.