MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
he is paid already tho, will have scrilla for the rest of his life if he manages it well. i think its the "prove em wrong" mode that he is in. it is a freak accident but were also talkin about anderson silva here, dude is a freak of nature. plus if he rehabs properly, his break will heal alot better afterwards...its the mental preparation that im worried about.

Feb 10, 2006
So Chael and Wandy got into a scrap on the set of TUF: Brazil.

cording to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva's rivalry came to a head recently as The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Brazil coaches were involved in a fight during taping of the show.

While White didn't reveal full details during a recent media luncheon to promote this weekend's (Sat., Feb. 1, 2014) UFC 169 pay-per-view (PPV) event, he did share enough (via Dave Doyle of MMAFighting.com) to paint a very ugly picture of the South American scene.

From White:

"Wanderlei and Chael fought. Just today. They literally fought. While they were fighting one of Wanderlei's guys sucker punched Chael. They went crazy, crazy shit happened there. We're dealing with that right now too.... They literally fought today, it went on for awhile.... It's one of those things, it's on a reality show, it's good and it's bad. A fight didn't need to break out between these two for people to be excited about this fight, because these two have been at each others' throats."

Sucker punch? Talk about amateur hour.

Perhaps this is the reason Sonnen's coaches were afraid to be on set

Unfortunately, it's not the first time (nor the last) Silva and Sonnen had heated beef outside the Octagon. The pair nearly came to blows during a recent expo (see it here), luckily, there were plenty of well-trained bystanders to stop it before anything serious popped off.

Apparently, this time, there was just a goon or two who took it way too far.

@KarynBryant said:
Apparently S @son nench and @wandfc got into a MAJOR scrap while filming #TUFBrazil today. Waiting for more details to surface. #UFC

T @thesav ageTruth said:
Wand and Chael threw down in Brazil today and one of Wands guys false cracked Chael per Dana.

Feb 10, 2006
RUMOR: Gokhan Saki vs Tyrone Spong @ Lightheavyweight

RUMOR: UFC looking at Pettis/Aldo as main event for July 4th weekend in Vegas. Lightweight Title. Aldo vacates, moves up to 155.

Feb 10, 2006
Pat Barry announces leave from MMA, release from UFC contract

pat-barry-ufc-161Veteran UFC heavyweight Pat Barry‘s days as an MMA fighter appear to be over.

The 34-year-old’s manager, Brian Butler, today said Barry is taking an “an indefinite leave from competing in MMA” and has been released from his UFC contract, according to a statement sent to MMAjunkie.

Based on a quote provided by Barry, the fighter isn’t walking away from combat sports completely, leaving open the door for a potential return to kickboxing. But MMA won’t factor into any immediate plans.

The full statement:

After long discussions with our client Pat Barry over the recent weeks, he has come to the decision that he will be taking an indefinite leave from competing in MMA. The UFC and Zuffa have been very gracious in releasing him from his contract and Pat is very grateful for everything they have done for him and his career.

“Over the past few fights I’ve just had this sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I have stepped into the Octagon and I realize, I DONT WANT TO WRESTLE. Not saying I will never do MMA again, but right now I just want to hit people. MMA and the UFC have been great to me and I will always support the company and the sport. I want to thank all my fans, sponsors and haters for being with me on this journey and I look forward to what future holds.” – HD!

“Pat and I have talked about this for a while now and with recent changes in the landscape of combat sports, he wants to explore some options and try to get back to his roots. He’s going to take a little time to clear his head and then we will explore our options. We will keep you posted on things as they develop.” – Brian Butler

Despite his mediocre MMA record, Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC) has long been a fan favorite due to his propensity for slugfests and a boisterous personality. Undersized for the division, he’s still fought many heavyweight notables, defeating the likes of Joey Beltran, Christian Morecraft and Shane del Rosario during his five-plus years in the promotion.

However, Barry, who also owns an 18-6-1 pro kickboxing record, has lost two straight and three of his past four. All of the defeats have come via first-round knockout.

Butler didn’t reveal any immediate plans for Barry.

Feb 10, 2006
Alistair Overeem dropped muscle, upped cardio for UFC 169 fight with Frank Mir

Alistair Overeem says he has intentionally dropped some weight for his scheduled fight with Frank Mir this Saturday at UFC 169.

Overeem (36-13 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who was criticized for his conditioning after suffering come-from-behind defeats to Antonio Silva and Travis Browne in his past two outings, has focused on cutting mass from his frame, one of the biggest in the heavyweight division, in the hope that he doesn’t run out of steam against Mir (16-8 MMA, 14-8 UFC).

“I actually dropped some weight,” Overeem told MMAjunkie. “I wanted improved cardio, so obviously you want to lose some weight. That actually goes automatic. A lot more cardio and you automatically lose a lot of weight. We just wanted [my cardio] to be better.”

With consecutive defeats on his record for this first time since 2006, Overeem may have more pressure to win than ever before. UFC President Dana White has said another loss could mark the end of Overeem’s UFC career, something that would fluster most fighters.

For a veteran of the sport like Overeem, though, it served as motivation to make the changes needed in order to regain the form that led to a 12-fight unbeaten streak prior to his recent drought.

“Dealing with losses is never cool – it’s always hard,” Overeem said. “You should always reinvent yourself, but when you lose you just do it a little bit more. I did just that for this fight. The focus has been very well the last couple of months. Sparring partners are good, my coaches have performed excellent and I think I’m really peaking right now.”

Beyond slimming down to around the 250-pound mark, one of the other major changes the 33-year-old made is relocating his training camp from the Florida-based Blackzilians team to the Super Pro camp in Thailand.

While rumors have swirled that Overeem didn’t see the Blackzilians as a good fit, the Dutchman insists his departure stemmed more from the combination of his previous success training out of Thailand along with his desire to consistently alter his surroundings.

“I always change up my scenery,” Overeem said. “I do well fighting out of Thailand. The choice to do the camp there, looking at my past achievements, it sounds logical.”

Overeem also said training in Thailand did wonders for his ability to wash out all outside distractions and focus entirely on the task at hand, which is to stop Mir from breaking a career-worst losing streak of his own.

With neither fighter holding an MMA victory to their names since December 2011, the stakes are high and earning a win at UFC 169 may be essential to keep their jobs.

UFC 169 takes place Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Overeem views Mir as a dangerous opponent, but in his mind he knows he’s taken the necessary steps to avoid having history repeat.

“I’m ready for anything that Frank’s going to try and do, and it’s my job to stay sharp until the end,” Overeem said. “If the end is the first, second or third round, or even if it goes to a decision, my job is to stay as sharp as possible.”

Feb 10, 2006
@UFCNews said:

With Julianna @VenezuelanVixen Pena injured, fellow Team Tater R @RockyP MMA Pennington will now fight #8 J @jessica MMAPro Andrade at UFC 171

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Date, broadcast info for UFC's return to Abu Dhabi, Roy Nelson vs. 'Big Nog' headliner

NEW YORK – The UFC’s return to Abu Dhabi, which includes a heavyweight headliner between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (34-8-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) and Roy Nelson (19-9 MMA, 6-5 UFC), now has a date and broadcast plan.

A UFC official today told MMAjunkie the event, which is likely to be a UFC Fight Night show, will take place April 11. The entire event streams on UFC Fight Pass, the organization’s digital network.

A venue hasn’t been finalized, and as with the UFC’s first trip to Abu Dhabi in 2010, it could take place at a temporary/newly built venue.

MMAjunkie passed along news of the event and headliner earlier today, though other details weren’t immediately available.

The UFC hasn’t been to the United Arab Emirates since UFC 112 in 2010, which included a championship doubleheader (and heavy criticism for then-middleweight champ Anderson Silva, who showboated and disengaged during much of his five-round headliner with challenger Demian Maia). The UFC has teased a potential return to Abu Dhabi in recent years, though such plans never materialized until now.

Officials will announce additional bouts in the coming weeks.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Travis Browne vs. Fabricio Werdum official for UFC on FOX 11 main event

NEW YORK – It was probably the main event, then maybe not. But now it’s official.

A heavyweight bout between Travis Browne (15-1-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) and Fabricio Werdum (17-5-1 MMA, 5-2 UFC) will headline UFC on FOX 11. UFC President Dana White announced the news following a media event at Madison Square Garden in New York for Saturday’s UFC 169 event, which takes place in nearby Newark, N.J.

After announcing the fight, White told MMAjunkie the bout might not wind up being the main event – if the UFC could get a title fight booked to headline the card. But with that apparently not happening, the Browne-Werdum bout takes the top spot.

UFC on FOX 11, the second UFC on FOX event of 2014, is set for April 19 at Amway Center in Orlando. The event’s main card airs on FOX following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The winner between Browne and Werdum is expected to be the next challenger for Cain Velasquez’s UFC heavyweight title.

Browne was recently voted MMAjunkie’s Breakthrough Fighter of the Year after going 3-0 in 2013 and winning three “Knockout of the Night” bonuses. At UFC 168 this past month, he stopped former champ Josh Barnett in the first round. The 31-year-old Hawaiian’s only career loss came to Antonio Silva in 2012, though he tore his hamstring early in the fight.

Werdum also is on a three-fight winning streak, and he’s won six out of his past seven. That stretch included a solid run for Strikeforce before returning to the UFC. The 36-year-old Brazilian hasn’t fought since June 2013, when tapped out Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC on FUEL TV 10.

UFC on FOX 11 also will include a bout between the first two UFC women’s bantamweight title challengers as Miesha Tate (13-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC) meets Liz Carmouche (9-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC).

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Rumble Johnson Returns to UFC, Faces Phil Davis

The speculation began to swirl right after Anthony Johnson‘s most recent win for World Series of Fighting, and it ramped up when “Rumble” was seen at UFC 169 this past Saturday night. But the rumor mills didn’t have to turn for long.

Johnson (16-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will return to the UFC after a six-fight winning streak outside the organization, and he’ll take on someone who’s been sitting back waiting and wondering when he’ll get his next fight: Phil Davis (12-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC).

UFC President Dana White announced Johnson’s signing and the fight for UFC 172 on Tuesday morning.

UFC 172 takes place April 26 at Baltimore Arena in Baltimore. The card will be the promotion’s first visit to the Maryland city. The pay-per-view main card is headlined by a light heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones and top contender Glover Teixeira. Prelims are expected to take place on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Johnson was released by the UFC a little more than two years ago after badly missing weight for a middleweight fight against Vitor Belfort. The fight went on at a 197-pound catchweight, but Belfort submitted Johnson with a first-round rear-naked choke. The missed weight was the third strike for Johnson, who twice missed the mark while fighting as a welterweight. But even moving up to 185 pounds, he couldn’t hit the target, missing by 11 pounds.

After he was let go, Johnson fought at 195 pounds and beat David Branch for Titan Fighting Championships. Then he moved to light heavyweight and stopped Esteves Jones for the promotion. After a knockout of Jake Rosholt, he signed with WSOF and knocked out D.J. Linderman in a light heavyweight bout. He moved to heavyweight for a fight against former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski and took a decision this past March.

A little more than two weeks ago, he knocked out Mike Kyle in the first round at WSOF 8 in Florida. The fight was the card’s main event, but despite the highlight-reel finish, Johnson wasn’t interviewed in the cage. With his contract up, it was widely speculated that the fighter and promotion wouldn’t be reaching a new deal. And now that speculation has been answered.

While in the UFC, Johnson has six of his seven wins by knockout, and his resume includes wins over Dan Hardy and Charlie Brenneman. But he’s been susceptible to submissions, tapping out in three of his four career losses to Belfort, Josh Koscheck and Rich Clementi.

Davis has been on the sidelines since an August decision win over Lyoto Machida in Rio de Janeiro in a fight that most major media outlets scored in Machida’s favor. But no matter, Davis ran his unbeaten streak to four fights since the lone loss of his career to Rashad Evans at UFC on FOX 2.

After that setback, the four-time Division-I All American wrestler had a no-contest against Wagner Prado after an accidental eye poke, but he stopped him with a second-round submission in Rio at UFC 153. He then picked up decision wins over Vinny Magalhaes and Machida at UFC 159 and UFC 163, respectively.

With the addition, the latest UFC 172 card now includes:

* Champ Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira – for light-heavyweight title
* Jake Ellenberger vs. Tarec Saffiedine
* Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson
* Tim Boetsch vs. Luke Rockhold
* Joseph Benavidez vs. Timothy Elliott
* Joe Ellenberger vs. Yancy Medeiros
* Andre Fili vs. Max Holloway
* Bethe Correia vs. Jessamyn Duke

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Cerrone vs. Barboza set for UFC on Fox 11

Donald Cerrone said he wants six fights in 2014. After putting one in the books nine days ago, he now has No. 2 teed up.

Cerrone (22-6 MMA, 9-3 UFC) will fight Edson Barboza (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in April when the UFC returns to Florida for UFC on FOX 11. UFC officials announced the fight Monday afternoon.

UFC on FOX 11, the second FOX event of 2014, takes place April 19 at Amway Center in Orlando. The event’s main card airs on FOX following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The card’s main event is between heavyweights Travis Browne and Fabricio Werdum, with the winner expected to be the next challenger for Cain Velasquez’s title. UFC on FOX 11 also will include a bout between the first two UFC women’s bantamweight title challengers as Miesha Tate meets Liz Carmouche.

“Cowboy” Cerrone is coming off a “Knockout of the Night” head-kick win over Adriano Martins at UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago. It was his second straight win after an upset loss to Rafael dos Anjos this past August. In November, he rebounded from that setback with a “Submission of the Night” win over Evan Dunham at UFC 167 in Las Vegas.

The bonus win for Cerrone at UFC on FOX 10 broke the UFC/WEC combined record of 12 that he shared with Anderson Silva and Joe Lauzon. He had five “Fight of the Night” wins in the WEC and now has eight bonuses in his 12 UFC fights over three years.

Barboza had a perfect 2013, going 3-0. After an upset loss to Jamie Varner in May 2012, the first setback of his MMA career, the Brazilian striking standout got back on track with a dominant wins over Lucas Martins and Rafaello Oliveira. In December, he won a majority decision against Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 9, getting a “Fight of the Night” bonus in the process. Barboza started his UFC career as a bonus hog, just like Cerrone. He had four bonuses in his first four UFC fights.

The fight has the potential to be an important one in the pecking order of the UFC’s lightweight division. Cerrone is ranked No. 12, while Barboza is No. 14 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings.