MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Ohio, New Jersey commissions revoke Brandon Saling's license

After a brief investigation, Brandon Saling's license has been revoked by the Ohio Athletic Commission and New Jersey State Athletic Control Board.

OAC executive director Bernie Profato told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Saling (8-6 MMA, 0-1 SF) violated administrative statutes when he lied about his criminal background on an application for a fight license.

Saling can appeal the ruling at a OAC hearing planned for April 11.

"There's a dual thing there," Profato said. "He'll have to answer to the falsification, and two, if you read the law, it says they don't have to license you for a felony. Now, it will be whether they ever license him again because of being listed as a sexual predator."

Saling's status as a sex offender and felon came to light when he fought Roger Bowling (11-2 MMA, 4-2 SF) at this past weekend's "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey." (He lost via second-round TKO.) Following the event, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he wasn't aware of Saling's background and told reporters the OAC would launch a "full investigation" into the matter.

Profato said Saling marked "no" on the part of his application for a license that asks about previous convictions beyond traffic offenses. The fighter was sent notice this morning that his license had been revoked. The administrative action will be noted on a national database that tracks administrative and medical suspensions of fighters.

If Saling is unsuccessful in appealing the revocation, he must wait a year before he is eligible to reapply for a license in Ohio. Other commissions are not required to honor his administrative suspension, though they often do.

Fighters who seek a license are required to disclose their criminal past in several states that sanction MMA. But the sheer volume of licensees make it difficult to catch discrepancies such as in the case of Saling.

"I've got 4,000 fighters," he said. "I'm going to look at them, and if we catch something – I'm not saying we wouldn't have missed this. But once it's brought to your attention, you would take action.

"If it's homicide or sexual predator, or if you're applying for a promoter's license and it's fraud, or theft in office, you probably aren't going to get licensed."

Saling, who bears a tattoo of his nickname, "White Steel," declined comment when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com. He carries an 8-6 record and hadn't fought for Strikeforce prior to Saturday. He fought twice for the Ohio-based NAAFS promotion in January and February, winning both professional bouts.

Coker declined comment on today's ruling.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC boss: Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar II in the works for summer

Anthony Pettis (15-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) will step aside once again.

UFC president Dana White today announced via Twitter that former UFC champ Frankie Edgar (14-2-1 MMA, 9-2-1 UFC) will get his wish and take a second shot at the man that took his belt in February, Benson Henderson (16-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

A date for the matchup has yet to be planned, but White said the fight will take place "this summer."

Henderson earned a unanimous-decision win over Edgar in the main event of February's UFC 144 event in Japan and was named the UFC lightweight champion.

Following a UFC 144 knockout of Joe Lauzon, Pettis had been declared the likely next contender, and White said he was going to encourage Edgar to drop to 145 pounds and face featherweight champ Jose Aldo. However, Edgar remained firm in his stance that he deserved a rematch, especially after granting rematches to Gray Maynard and B.J. Penn during his own title run.

White met with Edgar today, and it appears "The Answer" finally got his way.

"Frankie Edgar and Ben Henderson rematch will be this summer," White wrote via Twitter.

Pettis had been expected to fight for the UFC belt when he came to the promotion as part of the shuttering of World Extreme Cagefighting. However, Edgar's UFC 125 draw with Gray Maynard meant Pettis instead took on Clay Guida, who earned a unanimous-decision win over "Showtime."

Pettis has since earned wins over Jeremy Stephens and Lauzon, but he'll now need at least one more fight before challenging for the belt.

Meanwhile, May's UFC on FOX 3 main-event bout between Nate Diaz and Jim Miller has been declared a No. 1 contender fight, so the winner should be in line for the victor of Henderson vs. Edgar II.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Lucky punches, stepping stones: Hendricks, Koscheck fire UFC on FOX 3 opening salvos

While lightweights Nate Diaz and Jim Miller are taking the headlining slot at May's UFC on FOX 3 event, they weren't necessarily the most outspoken fighters at today's event-launch presser.

Instead, it was welterweights Johny Hendricks (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Josh Koscheck (17-5 MMA, 15-5 UFC) that seemed to host the most pointed barbs, and both seemed confident that victory soon awaits.

But while Hendricks feels his on the way up, Koscheck made it clear he's not signed up to put anyone over on national TV.

"The whole goal of fighting, to me, is to get the belt," Hendricks said. "Nothing else matters. Second place, third place – none of that matters. Whoever holds the belt is somebody, and that's all I care about.

"The pressure of winning this fight? I've got to win every fight to get to where I want. I see it as just another stepping stone."

Hendricks fought most recently in December, where he dispatched of Koscheck's longtime teammate Jon Fitch with impressive ease, using just 12 seconds of cagetime to notch the knockout win. It was Hendricks' third-straight win and brought his octagon record to 7-1. More importantly, it provided a signature win to launch him into the contendership discussion.

However, Koscheck quickly made it clear he didn't intend on helping his opponent progress any further up the ladder.

"For the record, kid, I'm not a stepping stone," Koscheck said to Hendricks. "I see this fight as a big opportunity for me to make that run again. Johny Hendricks isn't going to win this fight."

Koscheck returns to action after earning a narrow decision win over Mike Pierce at February's UFC 143 event. Koscheck admitted after the bout that the matchup never really excited him, and he had trouble finding motivation for the contest.

While still early in the preparation for UFC on FOX 3, Koscheck said he's having no such difficulty this time around.

"This fight excites me," Koscheck said. "It's kind of like the pride of wrestling. This guy is a couple-time national wrestling champion. I can respect that because I know how tough it is to win the NCAA title.

"I think this fight definitely excites me."

Koscheck, who recently left his longtime home at American Kickboxing Academy in favor of setting up his own gym in Fresno, Calif., said the change of scenery has provided him with a new-found drive and motivation.

"I've got a lot of good training partners there for me, and I'm excited about this fight," Koscheck said. "For the first time in three years, I've actually got a mitt-holder and someone teaching me boxing. I've got one-on-one jiu-jitsu classes. I've got a great wrestling coach in Alan Fried, an Oklahoma State guy - probably one of the best wrestlers to ever come out of Oklahoma State. I think that things are looking up for me."

The matchup features two accomplished wrestlers, though Hendricks clearly has the more decorated amateur career. But both contenders have also showed a penchant for striking, throwing heavy hands with nasty intentions. Hendricks' 12-second knockout of Fitch was proof-positive to many that he's developed a real finishing ability, but Koscheck wasn't nearly as impressed.

"The fight didn't last that long, so you really couldn't judge how good he is," Koscheck said. "I watched the fight, and he looked like he threw a lucky punch with his eyes closed, and it landed. So, yeah."

Hendricks understandably disagreed.

"If you really watch it, watch where my eyes are and watch where that punch lands," Hendricks said. "It doesn't get any better than that.

"My eyes were watching the punch. He tried to throw a jab to stop it, but my left hand is a little more powerful than a jab, so I'll take that any day. I will take that any day."

The evening's main event between Nate Diaz and Jim Miller has already been deemed a No. 1 contender fight, with the winner earning a future shot at the 155-pound title. But the Hendricks vs. Koscheck fight could have equal importance in the 170-pound division.

Koscheck has already challenged for the title once before, and he's 0-2 in his career against current champ Georges St-Pierre. But with Carlos Condit holding the division's interim title, Kosheck's name could very well end up alongside Jake Ellenberger and Martin Kampmann as top contenders.

A re-energized Koscheck, whose lone loss in his past six fights is to St-Pierre, certainly hopes that's the case.

"I feel like I got a new life," Koscheck said. "The last month of training since my last fight has been great. I feel like I'm in a great place, and I'm really focused right now.

"I'm excited for May 5. I can guarantee you're going to see the best Josh Koscheck you've ever seen. I'm looking forward to it."

And Hendricks could be in an even more enviable position. He's a fresh face at the top of the weightclass, and a win could prove career-altering.

"To get to fight Jon Fitch, how exciting is that?" Hendricks asked. "The No. 2 ranked guy in the world? You'd be silly not to be excited and happy to have that fight. Now I've got Josh Koscheck. That's another exciting fight for me. No matter what happens, I'm excited. I can't wait to put on a great show for the fans.

"My last fight doesn't matter. It's in the past. Just get better and put on a good fight for you guys."

UFC on FOX 3 takes place May 5 at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. The evening's main cards airs on FOX.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Edgar getting a rematch is wack, people say Edgar deserved one based off of the rematches he had to give, but we can't forget the reason for those rematchs. After the first Penn fight there was more of a majority who thought Penn won, then the Maynard fight was a draw, hence rematches. The difference here is the mass majority didn't think Edgar won (although it was close and a FEW people did). This is setting a precedence now that if a champion loses all he has to do is cry enough and he gets another shot right away.

I don't understand why Dana caved in to Edgar anyway, like I said his rematches were from closer fights than this one and Edgar doesn't draw and isn't a "star". I guarantee way more MMA fans in the world are a lot more interested in a rematch with Pettis.

I know this is gonna be a good fight and all, i'm just really not interested in it at all. Hopefully Bendo sends that crybaby Edgar to 145.

Nov 7, 2006
Dane was gonna give Sonnen an instant rematch after he tapped. HE FUCKING TAPPED and was gonna get an instant rematch SMH. dana's fuckin up. he's running the UFC like he's a fanboy (which he is) it other fighters are suffering for it. so now the belt's tied up yet again so all the other great fighters can just sit and wait. and what happens if Edgar wins but it's real close? would henderson "deserve" another shot? fuckouttahere.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
to be the champion you have to "beat" the champion...hopefully bendo can put a stamp on the rematch to clear all this sequel shit up.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
With changing TV landscape, UFC president envisions a day without pay-per-view

Pay-per-view is the engine driving the UFC's explosive growth of recent years.

But as the media landscape continues to change and new broadcast platforms compete with networks, the UFC thinks there may be a time when the pay-TV takes the back seat in producing revenue for the promotion.

"Lorenzo and I talk about this all the time – I do believe there will be a day when this probably isn't pay-per-view," UFC president Dana White said of his promotion during a press conference in support of UFC on FOX 3.

At the moment, the bulk of UFC fans shell out between $44.95 and $55.95 to order a numbered UFC card through providers such as DirecTV and Dish Network. That's meant big bucks for the UFC as its grown from a company of dozens to one of hundreds around the globe. Estimates of the UFC's pay-per-view revenue reached as high as $400 million in 2010, and the promotion is believed to be worth in excess of $1 billion.

A report this past November in the "New York Times" said pay-per-view earnings were down this past year, the likely result of a string of high-profile main events that fell apart due to injury and a busier schedule that prompted customers to get choosy on which events to buy in a down economy. But the UFC keeps its pay-per-view numbers secret, so getting exact figures on the company's health is impossible.

Pay-TV, of course, isn't the only moneymaker. The start of 2012 brought a new broadcast partnership with FOX that's been estimated to be worth around $90 million a year. The deal calls for events on the network's flagship channel and affiliates FX and FUEL TV. The first FOX-televised event, which took place this past November and preceded the start of the partnership, drew an average of 5.7 million viewers while the second event drew 4.7 million. Both events were a success with advertisers.

But the UFC also needs other sources to feed the till, and it's embraced other platforms to bolster revenue from TV and pay-per-view. The promotion's online business sells fights through the UFC's website and through online partners. It has yet to replace the revenue brought by pay-per-view. That could change, however.

"A lot of people believe everything is going to go to the Internet, like now when you buy your cable, and there's basic cable and you add other stations, we're probably going to get to a point where you can pick exactly what you want," White said. "So it's very interesting to see where all this goes over the next several years."

The idea of a la carte cable service was pursued early on by the Federal Communications Commission and in subsequent years by consumer advocates, though it remains a topic of debate whether the ability to pay for individual channels would actually save TV watchers money. Major cable companies have nevertheless been resistant to the idea, and as of now, the status quo of offering bundles of channels in different sizes remains.

Meanwhile, subscriber-based content continues to gain popularity on the Internet. Many media companies are experimenting with a pay model, and networks are offering shows online for a fee. The younger demographics that flock to MMA are on the Internet more than any other age group, and as that trend continues, the UFC's online business could become a more profitable as many consumers cut their bills by cutting cable.

The web probably won't replace TV and pay-per-view, of course. But the idea of escaping monthly 100-dollar cable bills is a welcome idea for any fan.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
SFL's Phil Baroni has seen both sides of Joe Rogan vs. 'Rampage' feud

Phil Baroni can understand why Quinton "Rampage" Jackson got angry at UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

Back in the day, he did too.

But Baroni's opinion changed when he did Rogan's job himself. Now on the verge of a gig calling the fights for the new India-based promotion, Super Fight League, he knows the job.

Super Fight League's inaugural event takes place March 11 at Andheri Sports Complex in Mumbai, India. The event streams live on YouTube.

Not a lot of people remember this, but the UFC once sent Baroni to communications classes at UNLV. This was during his first tenure with the then-struggling fight promotion and after he got a call to be a color commentator at UFC 42.

A last-minute call, as it was. Longtime play-by-play commentator Mike Goldberg couldn't make it to the event, which featured a title fight between welterweight champ Matt Hughes and Sean Sherk. Baroni said yes and hopped onboard UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta's private jet to Miami, where the show was being held at American Airlines Arena. It was April 25, 2003.

As it turned out, Baroni's future in the UFC was in fighting, not commentating. And being inside the cage, he saw things much differently than outside. That came to light in his second meeting with Evan Tanner at UFC 48.

The two had met just months before at UFC 45, and the fight had ended in controversy when referee Larry Landless misread an in-trouble Baroni's OK signal and prematurely stopped the fight. An enraged Baroni struck the referee and was suspended for four months. The rematch was supposed to answer the question of who was the better man, and Baroni's momentum hung in the balance. It would be his third consecutive loss if Tanner defeated him again.

Unfortunately, that's just what happened. Baroni damaged Tanner early on but faded in later rounds. Tanner, who passed away in 2009, won by unanimous decision. Baroni was heartbroken, and then he was angry.

Searching for answers, Baroni watched a tape of the fight, which he'd somehow found a way to record. When he heard the commentary, he became even even angrier.

"I put the tape on, and I remember Joe Rogan saying, 'Phil Baroni was tired, just wheezing,' and I was furious," Baroni told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "So I ran out and the event was over, and I [said to Rogan], 'What the [expletive] you talking about? I wasn't wheezing. How can you hear me wheezing above the crowd?'"

The incident didn't much escalate from there. Baroni eventually sulked off and went to bathe his sorrows in other distractions. Years later, he understands what Rogan was doing.

"I was tired at that point," Baroni said. "I was butthurt at the time, but after that, I commentated with him, and doing so many shows on my own, I realized how hard it is. He's just calling what he sees, and I was out of line for getting all butthurt and yelling at him."

Jackson recently made headlines when he said Rogan was biased toward fighters with a jiu-jitsu base and that Rogan had disparaged him during his fights. In turn, Rogan said he was a fan of Jackson's and trying to give an honest assessment of skills and potential in the cage.

Baroni knows both men and sees the issue from both sides. Where he might have sided with Jackson earlier in his career, he understands the function of color commentary.

"I could see how 'Rampage' can take what he says the wrong way, but until you've got the mic and you've got to call the shots, you're really not being biased," Baroni said. "I know Joe Rogan was a friend of mine, and he liked me, and he liked 'Rampage' Jackson. But he's got to call what he sees, and it's a lot harder being back there. Being back there, I have a newfound respect for Joe Rogan."

When Baroni flies to Mumbai, India, he admits he'll know a fraction of the people fighting before him. But he'll follow Rogan's lead in calling it like he sees it.

"There's got to be some good athletes over there," Baroni said. "The guys learn the sport fast. Look at Jon Jones. He was only in for a couple years before he was a champion."

Today, there is more commentary work than ever in the UFC, as well as a great deal more competition. Although he's gone on to commentate in dozens of regional events, Baroni may never get a chance to work with the UFC again. But he hopes that commentary one day replaces fighting.

He's not done inside the cage, you see. Now, he's just calling the shots.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
'I Am Bruce Lee' documentary debuts tonight on Spike TV

"I Am Bruce Lee" makes it television debut tonight on Spike TV.

The two-hour documentary focuses on the legendary Bruce Lee, a cultural icon and seminal figure in the history of martial arts.

The two-hour film – which includes interviews with the likes of UFC president Dana White, Stephan Bonnar, Jon Jones, Cung Le and Gina Carano – airs at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Before an untimely death in 1973 at just 32 years old, Lee entertained as a martial-arts instructor, actor and producer, which earned him the nickname the "Father of Martial Arts Cinema." He also founded the Jeet Kune Do martial-arts and life-philosophy movement, which inspired many current MMA fighters.

"If you're going to say father of mixed martial arts, it's got to be Bruce, really," Bonnar says in the embedded preview clip. "He was before anyone else. He's first the one who said to put it all together."

The well-reviewed "I am Bruce Lee" had a limited theater run.

In addition to tonight's TV debut, a replay airs early Thursday morning at 1:30 a.m. ET/PT and Monday at 12:30 a.m. ET/PT on Spike TV.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC 145 presents new challenges for champ Jon Jones' upcoming 'title offense'

Jon Jones is getting comfortable with mixed martial arts and his place in it.

After turning pro fewer than four years ago and becoming the UFC's youngest-ever champion when he won the light-heavyweight title in 2011, he's crammed a career of learning into a relatively short time frame.

But his UFC 145 headliner with Rashad Evans presents a new challenge, he said.

Jones, 24, joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) on Tuesday during another round of media appearances. Fresh off a UFC 145 kickoff press conference and a NASCAR Daytona 500 guest appearance, his life has become infinitely busier. But he said it's all made him more comfortable in the UFC cage, where he's emerged as one of the best MMA fighters on the planet.

"I'm pretty cool, calm and collected now," he told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "Fighting is something I think about all the time. I dedicated my life to it. It's just my comfort zone now."

But after a falling out with ex-teammate Evans and seeing their grudge match rescheduled on multiple occasions, they finally have a date. As UFC officials recently announced, the fighters meet April 21 at Atlanta's Philips Arena.

After a whirlwind event schedule that saw the UFC host four shows and travel nearly 30,000 miles in just a month's time, we get a break before the next major PPV show. With all due respect to UFC on FUEL TV 2, which marks the UFC's Sweden debut on April 14, much of the MMA world's focus will be on UFC 145 and Jones (15-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) vs. Evans (17-1-1 MMA, 12-1-1 UFC) for the next six weeks.

After a title victory over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and title defenses over ex-champs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Lyoto Machida, Jones admits that Evans presents a new challenge for the heavily hyped event.

"I know Rashad, and I know his reactions," Jones said. "It'll be kind of trippy fighting a friend of mine – well, a former friend of mine – with bad intentions.

"You spar against teammates all the time, and you never go for a move that could really hurt them. But to fight someone I've sparred against so many times – and to actually let go of those elbows and let go of those knees and head kicks and things for the first time – that might be a little different. But I'm not an emotional fighter for the most part anyway."

But is Evans his toughest opponent to date? After all, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" winner and former champ has blended his wrestling base with phenomenal striking skills, and it's carried Evans to consecutive wins over Thiago Silva, Jackson, Tito Ortiz and Phil Davis since losing his belt in 2009.

"I really can't say that," Jones said. "Every opponent is potentially my toughest opponent. They all have different gifts and different tools. It's hard to say if he'll be the toughest. They're all extremely tough (at this level). ... In some ways, though, some things are more important. This one is all the marbles. It's for who's the better fighter between the two of us."

A win in the highly publicized grudge match, though, would answer a lot of questions. Additionally, aside from Dan Henderson, it'd mean Jones essentially has cleaned out the upper echelon of contenders.

At that point, it's easy for fans to begin debating Jones' legacy. Even the champ does that. As his comfort in the cage increases, it's hard not to think about the future.

Jones has plenty of good years ahead of him – enough to challenge for Anderson Silva's record for consecutive title defenses (nine and counting) and Matt Hughes' record for most UFC wins (18). But right now – with the Evans' fight looming – he's simply taking it one fight at a time.

"I try to look at fights as title offenses rather than title defenses," he said. "I want to attack. My biggest thing is visualizing winning new belts instead of defending a belt. Eventually, having that attitude of winning and not the attitude of not losing, hopefully, it'll lead possibly to a Hall of Fame career."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir title-eliminator added to UFC 146

UFC 146's lineup is getting bigger and bigger – both literally and figuratively.

UFC officials today announced that former UFC heavyweight champions Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Frank Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) will meet at the May event.

The winner gets a guaranteed title shot against either champion Junior Dos Santos or Alistair Overeem, who meet in the night's headliner.

UFC 146, which also includes heavyweights Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva, takes place May 26 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view while FX carries the prelims.

Velasquez vs. Mir is expected to take the co-headlining slot.

Velasquez fights for the first time since November, when he lost his belt to Dos Santos in a 64-second UFC on FOX 1 headliner. Prior to that, the former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler opened his career with a 9-0 mark that included eight knockouts. He won his belt with a TKO of Brock Lesnar, but after a yearlong layoff due to an injured shoulder, he lost it to Dos Santos in his next bout.

Unlike most UFC fights, officials haven't booked a recent loser against another recent loser. In fact, Mir recently has continued a career resurgence with a three-fight win streak over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (KO), Nelson (decision) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (a come-from-behind submission). In fact, his only losses in his past nine fights have come in title fights to Lesnar and Shane Carwin.

The latest UFC 146 card now includes:
•Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)
•Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
•Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
•Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
•Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
•Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
•C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
•Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
•Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
•Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Antonio Silva vs. Roy Nelson slated for UFC 146 in Las Vegas

Roy Nelson's potential move to light heavyweight will apparently have to wait.

Days after he launched a Facebook campaign in which "Big Country" said enough "likes" would prompt a move down in weight class, UFC officials today announced Nelson (16-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC) instead will fight fellow heavyweight Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

The bout takes place at UFC 146 in May.

UFC 146, which is headlined by heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem, takes place May 26 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view while FX carries the prelims.

Nelson vs. "Bigfoot" likely will be part of the PPV main card, though an announcement hasn't been made.

For Nelson, a winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" who's just 1-3 in his past four fights, it's likely a must-win fight. Following decisions losses to Dos Santos and Frank Mir, Nelson knocked out Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic. However, in his most recent bout, the heavy-handed jiu-jitsu ace suffered a decision defeat to another Strikeforce import – Fabricio Werdum – at UFC 143.

Silva, meanwhile, is the latest Strikeforce-to-UFC arrival following the shuttering of his division in the UFC's sister promotion. The former EliteXC champ and World Victory Road/Sengoku vet went 3-2 in Strikeforce, which included a TKO victory over an undersized Fedor Emelianenko 13 months ago in the first round of Strikeforce's world heavyweight grand prix. However, in the semifinals, he suffered a knockout loss to injury replacement Daniel Cormier.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Strikeforce's Rockhold and Cormier discuss Koscheck departure, AKA unity

Family.

That's how Strikeforce fighters and American Kickboxing Academy teammates Luke Rockhold and Daniel Cormier constantly referred to their team.

One month after one of AKA's own left the team with some unkind parting words for founding coach Javier Mendez, Rockhold and Cormier said those teammates remaining are doing just fine.

Mendez declined comment on Josh Koscheck's recent comments. But Rockhold and Cormier said they saw Koscheck's exit coming.

"It's just Josh – Josh being Josh," Rockhold told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We've always been a family. Josh has always been on the outside; he's always been an outcast."

"Sometimes people grow apart, and it was just Josh's time," Cormier said.

Koscheck's relationship with the San Jose, Calif. gym stretches back eight years. But the two-time welterweight title challenger has always resided in nearby Fresno, where in recent years he's built a house and started two gyms.

Those facilities used to be called AKA Fresno. The domain name for their website remains the same. But now, the page is marked by a big blue logo sporting a new name: Dethrone Base Camp.

The first fracture in AKA San Jose emerged this past January with the departure of Dave Camarillo, the team's longtime jiu-jitsu coach. Koscheck's departure prompted meetings with the remaining members of the team, who closed ranks amid requests for interviews. High-profile fighters such as team captain Jon Fitch, Cormier, Rockhold, Josh Thomson and Mike Swick stayed with the team.

Koscheck's departure has not changed his business relationship with Zinkin Entertainment, which represents the majority of established professional fighters at AKA, and the fighter said he'll continue to train with AKA fighters when they can make it to Fresno.

But the coaching relationship is forever changed.

Cormier acknowledged the rift between Kosheck and Mendez but said the grind of commuting ultimately may have worn the welterweight down.

"Josh has got a multi-million-dollar home," Cormier said. "He's got a great life in Fresno. I think it was time for him to start doing his thing there."

According to Rockhold, Koscheck had been doing his thing long before he left San Jose.

"From day one, it's been 'Team Me' for him," Rockhold said. "So he can be 'Team Me' down in Fresno. He does his thing down there.

"But we're not breaking up our family. We're stronger than ever. Our team is awesome."

Koscheck (17-5 MMA, 15-5 UFC) has touted a new team of coaches at the Fresno gym that he expects to prepare him for a meeting with Johny Hendricks (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) at UFC on FOX 3, which takes place May 5 at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

Rockhold (9-1 MMA, 8-0 SF), meanwhile, expects to meet Tim Kennedy (14-3 MMA, 5-1 SF) in late June or early July while Cormier (9-0 MMA, 6-0 SF) is scheduled to fight Josh Barnett (31-5 MMA, 2-0 SF) in the finale of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix in May.

So fights roll on, as does AKA. Rockhold and Cormier wish their former teammate well.

"It sounds like things are coming together for him, so good for him," Rockhold said.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Oddsmakers favor Edgar over new UFC champ 'Bendo,' Gustafsson over Silva

The odds are out for two new UFC main events.

Although the fight doesn't have a date, noted MMA oddsmaker and frequent MMAjunkie.com Radio guest Joey Oddessa has opened Frankie Edgar as a slight favorite (-125) over new UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (-105).

Additionally, UFC on FUEL TV 2 headliner Alexander Gustafsson (-200) is a solid favorite over replacement opponent Thiago Silva (+160).

Although he initially suggested the new champ would meet Anthony Pettis in his first title defense, UFC president Dana White instead announced earlier this week that Henderson (16-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and Edgar (14-2-1 MMA, 9-2-1 UFC) will rematch sometime this summer. The fighters first met earlier this month at UFC 144 in Japan, where Henderson earned a unanimous-decision victory to dethrone the champ and take the title.

"In rematches, Edgar seems to adapt well," Oddessa told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Case in point: the rematches vs. Gray Maynard and B.J. Penn."

Edgar made his first two successful title defenses against Penn (rematch) and Maynard (third fight). After close contests in the previous bouts, Edgar won definitely in the rematches. However, his third defense ended in heartbreak when Henderson, a former WEC champion who's undefeated in the UFC, topped him via scores of 49-46, 48-47 and 49-46 at UFC 144.

At -125, oddsmakers are giving Edgar about a 56 percent chance of winning, and Henderson (-105) has a 51 percent chance. (Due to the nature of sports betting, the figures don't add up to an event 100 percent.)

Gustafsson (13-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC), meanwhile, meet April 14 at Stockholm's Ericsson Globe Arena. Silva recently replaced injured light heavyweight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (20-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) in the FUEL TV-televised headliner.

Gustafsson, who fights in his home country, looks for his fifth straight UFC win following four stoppage victories. At -200, oddsmakers give him a 67 percent chance of winning to Silva's 38 percent. But Oddessa thinks Silva could be a solid play.

"Gustaffson actually has a tougher fight with Thiago Silva than the previous matchup against 'Lil Nog,'" Oddessa said. "Silva presents a different problem as he's probably the most explosive fighter he's fought so far. I think Thiago can hurt him. I think it's a winnable fight despite the venue, and I don't think it will go the distance, regardless of the outcome."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
'UFC Primetime' returns to FX for 'UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans'

The grudge match is coming, and FX is going to document the buildup.

In advance of their UFC 145 light heavyweight title fight, UFC champ Jon Jones and former title holder Rashad Evans will be featured in an upcoming edition of "UFC Primetime," a three-part special that airs on FX.

The first episode airs Friday, April 6, at 11 p.m. ET, with subsequent episodes premiering in the same timeslot on April 13 and April 20.

Replays of each episode air on FUEL TV.

"UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans" takes place April 21 at Atlanta's Philips Arena. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Jones and Evans, former friends and training partners, have already waged a very public battle of words, and the tension is expected to build as the fight nears.

Jones, of course, fought most recently in December, downing former champion Lyoto Machida in impressive fashion and bringing to a close one of the most impressive calendar years in MMA history. After the fight, Jones expressed his desire to take a few months off. However, that plan quickly changed.

Meanwhile, Evans has now earned four-straight wins since losing the light heavyweight title to Machida in May 2009. "Suga" downed Phil Davis, Tito Ortiz, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Thiago Silva to earn his way back to a title challenge.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
With contract expiration, free agency looms for Bellator champ Hector Lombard

Over the course of two years, Hector Lombard (31-2-1 MMA, 8-0 BFC) fought eight times for Bellator Fighting Championships, won the promotion's middleweight title and became one of its biggest stars.

But Lombard's contract is now expired, and he could hit the open market in spring.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney today confirmed to MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that Lombard is in the midst of an exclusive negotiating period with the promotion. A source close to negotiations tells MMAjunkie.com that lawyers for Bellator and its parent company Viacom are negotiating with Lombard and his camp as the term winds down.

When it expires in late April, Lombard will enter a matching period where he can take offers from other promoters. In turn, Bellator, who has said the term expires in May, can match them within 30 days. Depending on who you ask, the length of that term runs a year or indefinitely. However, Bellator gets only one opportunity to match a particular offer.

Lombard's current standing doesn't bind him to the promotion. While his original contract was extended in late 2010, his so called "champion's clause" ran it's course by Jan. 31 of this year. So if Bellator is unable to secure the champ by late April, the bidding begins.

Undefeated in almost five years with 10 wins by way of stoppage due to strikes, Lombard is an attractive free agent. Although he is not yet able to negotiate with other promotions, he is already on the radar of UFC president Dana White, who said he kept hearing about the middleweight while in Sydney this past weekend for UFC on FX 2.

"I guess he's pretty popular down here," White said. "I hear he's under contract though with someone else, so we'll see. I'll probably end up with him. If he wants to fight in the UFC, then we'll probably end up with him."

Lombard splits time between South Florida and Sydney, where he emigrated after representing his native Cuba at the 2000 Olympic Games. He most recently fought at Bellator 58, where he notched a second-round TKO over veteran Trevor Prangley in a non-title catchweight bout at 195 pounds.

The question, how, for Bellator – and Lombard's suitors – is how much he's worth. The champ has knocked out virtually all of the competition in a promotion most consider subordinate to the UFC. He has, in fact, already brushed shoulders with the big show. He was scheduled to fight at UFC 78 in November 2007, though visa issues kept him from making his octagon debut.

But he was 29 years old then, and at 34, he's nearing the end of his athletic peak. So there's a limited time to cash in on his current value.

"I've had lots of guys go from other organizations into the UFC," said Monte Cox, whose former client, former lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, is also nearing the tail end of his current contract. "I've never been in a position where the organization we're leaving really has the money to compete with the UFC. So that's what makes this so interesting.

"If Bellator really wants these guys – and I'm sure they would like to keep them – that puts the UFC in a tough position. Because if they offer up something that's average, Bellator certainly will match it. I'm interested from a manager's perspective on what kind of offer the UFC will make to get these guys that Bellator can't match."

While it's unknown what measure of financial support Bellator parent company Viacom offers in getting and keeping fighters, the promotion's pockets may have deepened considerably since it was purchased by the media giant this past October.

The challenge, then, for any potential Lombard suitors is making an offer that's competitive, but one that still allows the promotion to make money. Because a drawn out bidding war isn't an option, making that offer is a calculated risk that incorporates a bet on how much Bellator is willing to match.

"It's a tough deal for the UFC," Cox said. "They can't just open up the bank. At some point, they could choose to just offer a pretty good chunk and force Bellator to pay it, almost driving up the price."

Rebney acknowledged that crunch time is almost here for the middleweight champ.

"I think he's the best middleweight in the world," he said. "We're trying to work dynamics with him (and) see if we can put a deal together. If we can't put a deal together, he'll be able to go out to the open market and talk to the UFC, and if he gets an offer, we have the right to match it.

"So it's going to come down to a business decision for him. He's a tremendous, tremendously talented athlete. He's at his peak; he's at his prime. As a fan with my CEO hat off, I think Hector Lombard is the best middleweight in mixed martial arts. So we would obviously like to have him continue to fight here, and if we're not able to come to an agreement, he'll go and get other offers and then we'll make a decision whether we're going to match those offers or let him go."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Six-fight main card official for April's UFC on FUEL TV 2 event

The six-bout main card for the UFC's sophomore effort on FUEL TV is now set.

Featuring a retooled main event of Alexander Gustafsson vs. Thiago Silva, "UFC on FUEL TV 2: Gustafsson vs. Silva" takes place April 14 at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm.

The event serves as the UFC's first-ever visit to Sweden. The night's main card airs live in the U.S. on FUEL TV, and prelims are expected to stream on Facebook. However, UFC executives have yet to officially announce those plans.

In addition to the night's main event, Alessio Sakara vs. Brian Stann, Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago, Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver, DaMarques Johnson vs. John Maguire and Damacio Page vs. Brad Pickett are featured on the evening's main card.

FUEL TV is a FOX-owned channel and is part of the UFC's historic seven-year deal with the network.

With the announcement, the UFC on FUEL TV lineup now includes:

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)

•Alexander Gustafsson vs. Thiago Silva
•Alessio Sakara vs. Brian Stann
•Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago
•Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver
•DaMarques Johnson vs. John Maguire
•Damacio Page vs. Brad Pickett

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)*

•Papy Abedi vs. James Head
•Yoislandy Izquierdo vs. Reza Madadi
•Cyrille Diabate vs. Jorgen Kruth
•Francis Carmont vs. Magnus Cedenblad
•Simeon Thoresen vs. Besam Yousef
•Jason Young vs. Eric Wisely

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
'I Am Bruce Lee' sets Spike TV ratings record for documentaries

Wednesday's airing of "I Am Bruce Lee" shattered a Spike TV ratings record for documentaries.

Spike TV officials today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the two-hour featured presentation averaged a healthy 1.0 household rating and 1.4 million viewers on the cable station.

The well-reviewed documentary focuses on the legendary Bruce Lee, a cultural icon and seminal figure in the history of martial arts.

The previous record was held by "Facing Ali," a film on boxing legend Muhammad Ali that drew 860,000 Spike TV viewers in 2009.

"I Am Bruce Lee," which made its worldwide television debut with the Spike TV airing, includes interviews with the likes of UFC president Dana White and MMA fighters Stephan Bonnar, Jon Jones, Cung Le and Gina Carano.

Before an untimely death in 1973 at just 32 years old, Lee entertained as a martial-arts instructor, actor and producer, which earned him the nickname the "Father of Martial Arts Cinema." He also founded the Jeet Kune Do martial-arts and life-philosophy movement, which inspired many current MMA fighters.

Spike TV airs a replay of "I Am Bruce Lee" on Monday at 12:30 a.m. ET/PT.