MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
HUERTA SAYS NO HARD FEELINGS WITH THE UFC

The addition of Roger Huerta to Bellator Fighting Championships gives the fledgling promotion another star on its roster, but it can't be ignored that the lightweight left the UFC to make it happen.

For the last few years, Huerta occupied one of the top spots in the UFC's 155-pound division, picking up six wins against only two losses, and defeating several solid fighters including Clay Guida and Leonard Garcia.

While very happy about his new deal with Bellator, the California born fighter still speaks well about his former employers, and says there was no ill will with his exit.

"There's no hard feelings," Huerta said on Monday. "I think everything is great, I had a good relationship with them when I went out the door, when I was changing my career. More power to them."

Being the first mixed martial artist to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated and given the popularity around the UFC, Huerta hit the next level of the sports' growth while competing in the Octagon. He believes he owes them a debt of gratitude for what they did for him and his career.

"I've been blessed. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for them," Huerta said.

Getting in on the ground floor with Bellator, Huerta is ready to prove himself all over again. Dropping his last two fights, against Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard, rejuvenated Huerta's fighting spirit, and he's ready to prove that when he enters the eight-fighter tournament set to begin on April 8.

"To be honest, I feel really, really blessed to be where I'm at today, signing with Bellator and signing with Bjorn (Rebney)," said Huerta. "These guys out here are trying to make something happen. Honestly, it's very unique, this tournament format is unique, and again you're going to get the best out of these guys.

"These guys got to be dedicated. It's not like you win the first round and then you're going to go off and party. It's not like that. You've got to win, go back in the gym, train your butt off, go back in the cage, fight, win, and so on.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said on Monday that he expects to announce Huerta's opening round match-up for the lightweight tournament in the coming days. While leaving the UFC was tough, Huerta is happy to start a new chapter in his career with Bellator.

Feb 7, 2006
Neck injury forces Tito Ortiz out of TUF 11 and bout with Chuck Liddell

A storm of speculation has surrounded the reasoning behind Tito Ortiz‘ recent removal from his expected bout with Chuck Liddell along with a recent coaching gig on the eleventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, and it now appears as though we may have our answer.

Sources close to the situation have recently indicated to FiveOuncesofPain.com that multiple herniations in the neck of Ortiz prompted his removal from both the taping of The Ultimate Fighter Season 11, and his anticipated clash with fellow coach Liddell at the conclusion of the most recent season.

Ortiz has had well documented problems with his back in the past but this is the first report that anything was wrong with the future UFC hall of famer’s neck.

The taping of the eleventh season of The Ultimate Fighter recently wrapped up and the premier has been slated for March 31 on Spike TV.

Feb 7, 2006
B.J. Penn considering permanent move to welterweight

If UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn had the chance to go back and do it all over again, he wouldn’t change a thing.

Not the slightest bit disheartened by the pummeling suffered at the hands of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre during UFC 94 in January of 2009, Penn reckons he had it coming to some extent.

“I think that everything happens for a reason in life. And I got my butt kicked,’” said Penn in a recent conversation with IGN. “Maybe I was saying some things I shouldn’t have been saying, so I got my butt kicked. With that said, everything happens for a reason. That’s why GSP has cheating tagged onto him. Everything is how it should be, life is perfect, life is always how it should be. Maybe I said some things that I shouldn’t have said, I got my butt kicked for that. And he has cheating attached to his name. That’s just exactly how life should be, exactly what happened I guess.”

When talk turned to the possibility of B.J. going up to 170 pounds in the near future, the future UFC hall of famer seemed more than optimistic about the idea.

“Yeah, I think there is a possibility of that,” said Penn. “I don’t in no way want to look past Frankie Edgar, he’s a good fighter. You never know what could happen. But if I go back to welterweight, maybe I’ll try to give it a run, maybe fight a couple of fights there, we’ll see how it goes.”

“I might try to do it permanent. We’ll see, I just don’t want to rush anything, just take my time and go out there and do my best.”

Feb 7, 2006
Filho confirms fight with Hector; not title fight

TATAME.com reported yesterday that Paulo Filho was supposed to fight Hector Lombard for the Bellator title. We just spoke with the black belt, who confirmed the fight, but not for the event’s middleweight title.

“He’s very strong, it’s on the tops, but we’ll see what will happen. I never had that thing of wanting titles. Of course there’s the marketing on that, but, if he beats me, he’ll deserve that title,” he said, explaining why he didn’t showed up in his last two fights. “They owe me R$ 60 thousand. They said thay’d pay me R$ 20 thousand before the fight, but they never did it. I have proofs, contracts. If he doesn’t pay me, I’ll ask for that in the justice. At Dream, I had personal problems, nothing related to any drugs or things people sai din the internet, and had no time to take care of my visa”.

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago Alves on Fitch: “It’s time to payback”

Former UFC title contender, Thiago “Pitbull” Alves wants to be back on the track for the UFC welterweight gold. In exclusive interview to TATAME.com, the Brazilian knockout artist talked about the upcoming fight against Jon Fitch, at UFC 111, in an anticipated rematch.

“I’m thrilled and already prepared. I’ve been waiting for this fight for four years and now I got the chance for the revenge. I like revenges. It’s time to payback,” Alves said, commenting their first fight, back in 2006.

“I was too young when we fought. I wasn’t new in the sport but was in UFC. This American system of losing weight, everything else... Nowadays, I’m a totally different fighter. I learned a lot and I am more experienced and a much better fighter when it comes to standing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu... It couldn’t be a better time”, said.

After getting his revenge, the Brazilian wants another title shot to avenge the loss to Georges St. Pierre, last year. “I’m coming off a loss and I want to go back to the winners list. Beating Fitch, I will fight for the belt again. I want to take him on, and go after the belt, no matter who holds it,” said, betting on GSP against Dan Hardy. “I think Saint Pierre is going to win but you never know. If it’s Dan Hardy, I'll take the belt from him and get the revenge with St. Pierre next”.

Feb 7, 2006
Yamato Damashii! Takimoto Retires

One additional fight was added to the April ASTRA event today. The legendary Enson Inoue will return from a 6 year absence from the ring to take on the man who beat Hiroshi Izumi, Antz “Notorious” Nansen, in a Light Heavyweight fight.

About Nansen, Enson said that he saw his fight and that he has good kickboxing and that his punch is also strong. He has no doubt that it’ll turn into a fist fight. However, if a submission comes his way a submission it’ll be. He thinks it’ll probably be a fight where both will look to kill the other. “Even if I die it’s fine”.

Also, Makoto Takimoto announced his absence from the event and his retirement from MMA. The retirement seems to be lack of motivation going forward and important fights that didn’t happen.

About Yoshida’s opponent, Kokuho said that he thinks they’ll be able to announce who it’ll be on either the 23rd or 24th. There’s a big chance that Kazuhiro Nakamura and Denis Kang will be matched up as well.

Stomps and knees to the head of a grounded opponent are allowed but not soccerkicks or elbows. Fights are 3×5 minutes long. Fights are scored round by round (10 point system) and judges will look at effort to finish the fight.

Hidehiko Yoshida Farewell Fight ~ASTRA~
Date: April 25th, 2010
Place: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo, Japan

Light Heavyweight Fight:
Enson Inoue vs. Antz “Notorious” Nansen

Welterweight Fight:
Yuya Shirai vs. Che Mills

Featherweight Fights:
Michihiro Omigawa vs. Micah Miller
Tatsunao Nagakura vs. Akihiko Mouri

Participants:
Hidehiko Yoshida, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Denis Kang

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM 13 so far

The 3rd card announcement for DREAM.13 took place today and one and a half fights were announced.

In a Featherweight fight, Yoshiro Maeda, who is coming off a very impressive victory, will face Cole Escovedo, who is currently on a 4-fight winning streak since losing three in a row.

Also announced for the event was the participation of the Fedor-class big-shot Heavyweight, Josh Barnett. No opponent was announced but it’s being reported that he might face K-1 veteran Mighty Mo.

Update: They’ve had a tough time getting an opponent for Barnett. Right now they have three candidates, all foreign fighters. It looks like the card will only consist of 7 fights.

DREAM.13
Date: March 22nd, 2010
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

DREAM Featherweight Title Fight:
Bibiano Fernandes vs. Joachim Hansen

Single Fights:
HW: Josh Barnett vs. TBA (probably Mighty Mo)
LW: Katsunori Kikuno vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
LW: KJ Noons vs. Andre Dida
WW: Ryo Chonan vs. Andrews Nakahara
FW: Yoshiro Maeda vs. Cole Escovedo
OW: Minowaman vs. Jimmy Ambriz

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Dana White a believer in "real deal" Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez fight possible?

BROOMFIELD, Colo. –Dana White found a way to dodge the question a dozen different ways from a dozen different reporters – both before and after Sunday's UFC on Versus 1 post-fight press conference.

But following the heavyweight fighter's dismantling of Gabriel Gonzaga, Junior Dos Santos would seem a logical next opponent for fellow fast-rising heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez.

While UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Dos Santos' latest win solidifies his standing as "the real deal," he's not ready to commit to Velasquez – or any potential opponent – just yet.

In the UFC on Versus 1 co-headliner in Broomfield, Colo., Dos Santos made quick work of Gonzaga while flooring the longtime contender with a left hook. Dos Santos then stood over his downed opponent and rained down heavy blows until the referee halted the action four minutes into the first round.

Dos Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) has now posted knockouts in all five of his UFC wins (four in the first round). In fact, all 11 of his pro wins have come via stoppage, 10 of which were the result of his heavy hands.

White, though, said the Gonzaga win proves that Dos Santos isn't a mere one-dimensional striker.

"There are a lot of questions [about] his ground game because he's been knocking people out so fast," White told MMAjunkie.com. "Tonight, he got in a scramble with Gonzaga, and he popped right out of it. It was impressive. He's the real deal; I think this kid is the real deal."

So why not match him up with Velasquez (8-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC), a two-time Division I All-American who recently toppled former UFC and PRIDE champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110? Why not whittle down the list of contenders by pitting two of them against each other?

White simply wants to await this weekend's UFC 111 co-headliner between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin, which earns the winner an interim heavyweight title and a likely title-unification bout with current champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 116 in July.

With so many pieces available, White simply wants to see how it all shakes out. That's why doesn't want to commit to Dos Santos vs. Velasquez – or any other heavyweight bouts – right away.

"They're all going to fight," White said of the glut of contenders. "All these guys in that lineup are going to fight, but we've got to figure out how it's all going to go down. Mir and Carwin are going to get this thing started. We'll see what happens there, and the great thing is, we're a week away from that."

And while MMA fans have never proven to be a patient bunch, White said the list of fight possibilities – with the likes of Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, Dos Santos, Velasquez, Nogueira and even UFC on Versus 1 winner Cheick Kongo and UFC Fight Night 21's Stefan Struve – proves just how far the once-depleted division has come.

"We've got this big lineup of heavyweights," White said. "Back in the day, it was pretty grim. Now we've got them lined up ready to go. They're all great guys, and there's so many different ways that we can mix and match these guys that it's going to be fun."

Dec 30, 2003
Dana White a believer in "real deal" Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez fight possible?

he's not ready to commit to Velasquez – or any potential opponent – just yet.
I think Cain will beast on Dos Santos... if he cant take him standing up... he just GnP that foo... not taking a DAMN thing away from JDS... hes a beast... but i think Cain is just a little bit better.

Feb 7, 2006
Bibiano Fernandes retains title, Josh Barnett and K.J. Noons victorious at DREAM.13

Bibiano Fernandes edged Joachim Hansen to retain his DREAM featherweight championship, and Josh Barnett picked up his first win in 14 months with a submission victory over Siala-Mou "Mighty Mo" Siligia at today's DREAM.13 event.

The show took place at Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan, and aired live in North America on HDNet.

Other winners from the seven-fight lineup included K.J. Noons, Cole Escovedo and Ikuhisa Minowa.

It wasn't a spectacular affair, but Fernandes (8-2 MMA, 5-0 DREAM) did just enough to retain his belt against a game Hansen (19-9-1 MMA, 3-3 DREAM).

Fernandes, a decorated jiu-jitsu competitor, baited Hansen into advancing with a series of low kicks. When Hansen obliged, he quickly took the action to the ground. Hansen, however, wouldn't let Fernandes do much once there and quickly scrambled, and he was never in danger of being submitted.

Hansen tried desperately to corner Fernandes and land his straight right, but the Brazilian blocked most of the shots and returned fire with right hand hooks. The shots stopped Hansen in his path and forced him to reset.

As the bout progressed, Hansen grew bolder with his strikes and caught Fernandes flush on several occasions. None of the punches, though, were powerful enough to rattle the champion. Neither fighter went for broke during the course of the fight, and most of the exchanges did not move beyond two or three strikes.

In the end, Fernandes' ground work appeared to be the deciding factor in the fight. Two judges gave him the decision win while one judge dissented in Hansen's favor.

In his first MMA fight since a canceled bid to knock off top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko in January 2009, Barnett (25-5 MMA, 1-0 DREAM) stopped Siala-Mou "Mighty Mo" Siligia (3-2 MMA, 0-1 DREAM) in a bout broken into two halves by an inadvertent low kick.

Barnett chose to stand early in the bout and paid for it almost immediately. A low kick brought a Siligia counter hook that dropped Barnett on his butt. He sprang up and charged into a tie-up, but when the action stalled against the ropes, the two were separated and back in the center of the ring.

There, Barnett called on his recent Savate kickboxing work and attacked a Siligia kick with a kick of his own. The shot hit Siligia squarely in the groin and immediately dropped him to the canvas. Siligia lay on the canvas for some time as DREAM officials gathered around him. The former kickboxer could be heard moaning in pain, and later, arguing with those who asked him to continue the fight.

"That's the hardest I've ever been kicked in the balls in my entire life," Siligia said.

For several moments, it looked like the fight would be called off. At one point, Barnett came over to Siligia's corner and begged him to continue only to be waved off by officials. But after a long spell on his ring chair, "Mighty Mo" made his way back to his feet and resumed the bout. It was clear, though, that his heart was no longer in the fight.

When Barnett eventually got the action down, he hadn't even started cranking on a kimura before Siligia tapped out.

As both fighters' camps streamed into the ring, Barnett offered an immediate apology and gave Siligia a free shot to his groin, and Siligia quickly obliged.

In other action, former EliteXC lightweight champion Noons (8-2 MMA, 1-0 DREAM) stalked his way to a decision victory over Chute Boxe's Andre "Dida" Amade (6-4-1 MMA, 0-3 DREAM).

Throughout the fight the former champion became more and more desperate to engage as Amada continued to backpedal. Frustrated, Noons got a little too loose late in the fight and nearly got caught by Amade's knees. But he bobbed and weaved out of most trouble, and he kept control of the fight to take the clear-cut decision victory.

Former WEC featherweight champion Escovedo's comeback trail, meanwhile, took a huge step forward in a highlight reel performance against veteran Yoshiro Maeda. After Maeda (26-8-2 MMA, 2-2 DREAM) charged in with a flurry of punches and flying knee, Escovedo (16-4 MMA, 1-0 DREAM) returned fire with a right inside leg kick that buckled Maeda forward. In a flash, Escovedo followed with a left high kick that slapped Maeda's jaw. Maeda was out from the second the blow landed and crashed to the canvas. Escovedo's follow-up punch on the prone Maeda was an un-needed bonus.

In an open-weight bout, DREAM Super Hulk Tournament winner Minowa (45-30-8 MMA, 4-3 DREAM), giving up nearly 80 pounds to American journeyman Jimmy Ambriz (14-13-1 MMA, 0-2 DREAM), felt the size deficit from the get-go. He took but a few seconds to shoot in for a takedown and wound up on his back eating punches as his hulking opponent nimbly passed guard.

That seemed okay to Minowa, though, because Ambriz did little from top position other than fire off short punches to the side of his head and dump him to the mat when he stood up. Only a referee's yellow card cramped his style. Ambriz had a brief ray of light in an arm triangle attempt from the top, but that was about it.

When the fight went back to its feet, Ambriz appeared to be a punch away from expiring. Minowa nearly helped him there with a strong lead left hook, but after several flurries, neither man finished the fight before the first round expired.

Ambriz remembered to wrestle in the second round and mounted Minowa with ease. But his bulk made a reversal easy for the red-trunked fighter, and Minowa wasted little time in diving for a toehold. Ambriz quickly succumbed to the lock late in the round.

Official DREAM.13 results included:

•Bibiano Fernandes def. Joachim Hansen via split decision (retains DREAM featherweight title)
•Josh Barnett def. Siala-Mou "Mighty Mo" Siligia via submission (kimura) - Round 1, 4:41
•K.J. Noons def. Andre Amade via unanimous decision
•Ryo Chonan def. Andrews Nakahara via unanimous decision
•Cole Escovedo def. Yoshiro Maeda via KO (head kick) - Round 1, 2:29
•Katsunori Kikuno def. Kuniyoshi Hironaka via KO (strikes) - Round 1, 1:26
•Ikuhisa Minowa def. Jimmy Ambriz via submission (toe hold) - Round 2, 2:42

Feb 7, 2006
Daniel Cormier vs. John Devine official for Friday's Strikeforce Challengers 7 prelims

As expected two-time Olympian and 2008 U.S. Olympic wrestling team captain Daniel Cormier (1-0 MMA, 1-0 SF) makes his second-ever mixed-martial-arts appearance when he meets John Devine (5-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) at Friday's Strikeforce Challengers VII event.

The long-rumored bout is slated for the night's un-aired preliminary card, the organization today announced.

Cormier, who finished fourth in the 2004 Olympics, made his pro MMA debut in September and defeated Gary Frazier in a Strikeforce Challengers 3 televised bout.

Strikeforce Challengers 7 takes place at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., and airs on Showtime. Featured televised bouts on Friday's card include Lavar Johnson vs. Lolohea Mahe and Zoila Frausto vs. Miesha Tate.

Cormier, who now trains with the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., scored a second-round TKO victory over Frazier in his pro debut. The two-time JUCO national champion and NCAA Division I national runner-up at Oklahoma State University now meets Devine, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu purple belt who enters the event on a five-fight win streak. The current Cage Combat Fighting heavyweight champion most recently defeated Buddy Roberts (6-1 at the time) via third-round TKO.

"My opponent has more experience than me, but I figure almost everybody I fight from now on will have more fights than me," Cormier stated. "I am confident in my ability, but I need fights like this to show me where I'm at. I'm still learning and have a ways to go, but every fight is important."

The latest card now includes:

MAIN CARD

•Lavar Johnson vs. Lolohea Mahe
•George Bush III vs. Ron "Abongo" Humphrey
•Andre Galvao vs. Luke Stewart
•Zoila Frausto vs. Miesha Tate
•Justin Wilcox vs. Shamar Bailey
PRELIMINARY CARD

•Daniel Cormier vs. John Devine
•Ben Holscher vs. Alex Trevino

Feb 7, 2006
UFC on Versus 1's Brandon Vera suffers three facial fractures, return date unknown

Brandon Vera received more than a bruised ego on Sunday at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colo.; a fearsome elbow strike from opponent Jon Jones left the UFC light heavyweight with facial fractures and an unknown return date.

In the night's Versus-televised main event, Jones landed the blow as he postured up in Vera's guard midway through the first round. Vera rolled to his side in visible pain when the shot slammed into the right side of his face near his eye socket.

The strike caused three fractures in Vera's right cheekbone, the fighter's manager, Matt Stansell, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"The whole right side of Brandon's face was numb," Stansell said.

Vera (11-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC), 32, was tasked with stopping the advance of Jones (10-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC). The 22-year-old burst onto the UFC scene in 2008 and racked up a series of of impressive victories marred only by a lone disqualification loss to Matt Hamill this past December at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

The UFC on Versus 1 main-event fight was Vera's second consecutive loss, which includes a unanimous-decision defeat to Randy Couture at UFC 105 this past November. Vera still disputes the scores of the fight, which all went 29-28 in Couture's favor.

Vera will see a facial specialist this week, at which time a timetable for his return should be determined, Stansell said. The Colorado Office of Boxing, which oversees MMA events in the state, hasn't yet released the list of mandatory medical suspensions from UFC on Versus 1. Vera likely will need clearance from a doctor before he can be licensed to fight again.

Since dropping from heavyweight light heavyweight in July 2008, Vera is 3-3 in the UFC's 205-pound division.

Feb 7, 2006
"Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery" tickets on sale this week for May 15 event

Tickets for "Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery," which takes place May 15 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, are on sale this week.

"Strikeforce Insider" e-mail newsletter subscribers can purchase tickets tomorrow beginning at 11 a.m. ET (8 a.m. PT), and the general public can buy seats on Friday, March 26, at 11 a.m. ET.

The Showtime-televised event feature two major heavyweight bouts.

In the night's main event, Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem meets Brett Rogers. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported, though, Strikeforce officials have not announced if Overeem's title, which hasn't been defended since he won it 28 months ago, will be on the line. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has even hinted at an announcement "that could surprise" fans regarding the fight's title implications.

In addition to that heavyweight clash, former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski takes on former EliteXC heavyweight title-holder Antonio Silva in the night's co-headliner.

Although not announced, MMAjunkie.com also recently reported that the event is expected to feature Lyle Beerbohm vs. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro and Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman.

Strikeforce is giving away a limited-edition high-gloss event poster to anyone who purchases tickets during the pre-sale period. Strikeforce Insider subscriptions are available for free at www.strikeforce.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Cornerman: Dislocated finger prompted Paul Buentello's eventual tap-out, future uncertain

UFC heavyweight Paul Buentello succumbed to a badly dislocated finger during his fight with Cheick Kongo at Sunday's UFC on Versus 1 event, his trainer and cornerman said.

Trevor Wittman, who helped Buentello prepare for the bout at the Grudge Training Center in Denver, Colo., said the fighter sustained the injury to his right hand in the first round of the bout and suffered a tremendous amount of pain after a cageside doctor attempted to reset the digit mid-fight.

"He couldn't take it anymore," Wittman today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Kongo did a great job of applying pressure and (threw) nice elbows to the hip sockets and that high leg and the knees to the body ... that all had to do with it also. But his hand was in severe pain."

Buentello tapped out in the third round as Kongo punished him with strikes as he kneeled on his hands and knees.

Wittman said the cageside doctor at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colo., violated the state's MMA rules when he worked on Buentello's hand.

"The rules are (that) the fighter is allowed to put it back into place himself," Wittman said. "If he can't put it in and he can't continue, the fight is over. The doctor just kind of stepped in; I don't think the doctor understood the rules. We went over it with the commission in the back room. It was totally not the correct thing to do."

After Buentello began grasping his finger and screaming in pain, referee Herb Dean called a timeout. Officials then began working on the fighter's hand amid some in-cage confusion. UFC broadcasters Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg also questioned on the Versus broadcast how a fight could be temporarily halted for an injury, and MMAjunkie.com initially surmised that it possibly was the result of an equipment (glove) problem. Instead, a ringside physician simply worked to put the dislocated finger back in its place.

MMAjunkie.com could not reach representatives from the state's MMA regulatory body, the Colorado Office of Boxing, for comment.

Buentello (27-12 MMA, 3-3 UFC) is currently en route back to his home state of Texas, where he will see a specialist this week to determine his prognosis and recovery time, according to Wittman.

"They gave him painkillers in the back and shot his hand with Novocaine because his hand – you know how people tremble? His whole right arm was trembling," Wittman said.

"I don't want to use the hand as an excuse. I want to tip my hat to Kongo. He had a good game plan to push Paul up against the cage and take him down, which was a smart thing."

Wittman didn't have an answer when asked what the future holds for his fighter, a former top UFC contender.

"[Buentello] said he was thinking about quitting," Wittman said. "I told him to not make any rash decisions. He was like, 'Oh, the UFC's going to cut me.' Honestly, from my perspective – and I try to keep it as real as I can because I love Paul, and I think he's a great fighter – I think he's got to have more dimensions at this high level of the game."

Wittman said he and trainer Mike Van Arsdale expected Kongo might shoot for a takedown during the fight and attempted to bring Buentello's wrestling up to par, but there was only so much that could be done.

"You just don't learn wrestling overnight," Wittman said. "It's something that's going to be a continuous thing, and he's not at the beginning of his game; he's at the end of his game.

"So it's one of those things; MMA has completely changed over the last five years. He's one of the veterans of the sport and one of those guys who was part of the game as it was growing. He's always going to be a legend in my mind, whether he continues or not. It's just tough for guys that don't have that full package to make it in that high echelon of fighting."

Still, the trainer commended Buentello for continuing as long as he did.

"The thing is, it gave the fans the fight they wanted to see," Wittman said. "(You) try to take the positive with the negative."

Buentello fought Andrei Arlovski for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 55 and lost via knockout. Despite a subsequent win to Gilbert Aldana at UFC 57, he was released from the promotion in 2006 and fought for Strikeforce and Affliction before re-signing with the UFC in the wake of Affliction's collapse this past August. He suffered a loss to Stefan Struve in December and is now 0-2 since his return.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 21 headliner Takanori Gomi still looking for career challenges

Takanori Gomi says he has not lost his competitive fire.

Once considered the world's best lightweight, the 31-year-old Japanese star fell on hard times at the end of PRIDE Fighting Championships' reign and seemed to shy away from pursuing the highest levels of the sport.

But in a conference call held today for his fight with two-time contender Kenny Florian at next week's UFC Fight Night 21 event in Charlotte, N.C., Gomi (31-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) assured reporters that he isn't done yet.

"I fought more than 30 [fights], and I'm still looking for a challenge in my career," Gomi said through a translator. "That was the main reason to move on to the UFC."

Gomi was expected to make his U.S. return this past August against Rafaello Oliveira at "Affliction: Trilogy" before the fight, along with the promotion, was canceled at the last minute. Shortly afterward, he announced his intention to take time off to support his pregnant wife-to-be. But in January, word leaked that he had signed a deal with the UFC, a promotion he had long admired from a distance.

"It's a challenge to be a champion in the UFC," Gomi said.

The March 31 fight is Gomi's first inside a cage and the fourth time he has fought on U.S. soil.

Asked of the biggest change in fighting for the UFC, Gomi pointed to the use of elbows. Meanwhile, he's been in Japan preparing himself for Florian, a fighter known for his Ginsu-like elbow strikes.

"Kenny's kicks and punches are so strong, and his defense is outstanding, so I am studying right now," Gomi said.

"The Fireball Kid" shot to MMA stardom in Japan's Shooto promotion and later the PRIDE "Bushido" series with wins over Rumina Sato, Jens Pulver, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Hayato Sakurai. But after a submission loss to Nick Diaz at PRIDE 33 in March 2007, Gomi struggled to put on the decisive performances that were a hallmark of his years at the top of the division.

Ever since Gomi's UFC deal was announced, many fans question whether the fighter still has the motivation to fight.

Still, Gomi is currently riding a two-fight win streak with a decision win over Tony Hervey at Vale Tudo Japan 2009 and a knockout of Takashi Nakakura at "Shooto: Tradition Final," respectively. Now hoping to find success with the UFC, Gomi disagrees with the statements of countryman Shinya Aoki, who recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the UFC will not succeed in Japan.

"The fighting environment is different from the U.S, that's one of the reasons I'm fighting in the United States and the UFC," Gomi said. "But I still believe that in Japan, the mixed martial arts trend is still going.

"I don't know why (Aoki would say that)."

Feb 7, 2006
Inoue-Hioki Announced for May 30 Shooto

For the third chapter in the "Way of Shooto" series, leading Shooto promoter Sustain is serving up three world title bouts.

The promotion's May 30 event at JCB Hall in Tokyo will see Shooto posterboy and 143-pound world champion "Lion Takeshi" Takeshi Inoue defend his world title against Sengoku standout Hatsu Hioki, while a pair of world title rematches will pit Yasuhiro Urushitani against Ryuichi Miki for a third time with the vacant 123-pound world title at stake, and hot Brazilian prospect Willamy "Chiquerim" Freire will put the 154-pound strap on the line against former victim Yusuke Endo.

It will be the second defense for the 30-year-old Inoue since regaining the Shooto world title from Hideki Kadowaki in November 2008. After defending against Rumina Sato last May, Inoue outlasted another Shooto icon in October, stopping long-time featherweight king Alexandre Franca Nogueira in the fourth round of their non-title bout at "Vale Tudo Japan 2009." In January, he won another non-title affair, submitting tune-up opponent Gerald Lovato in the third round.

The 26-year-old Hioki is coming off of a hotly competitive split decision loss to Michihiro Omigawa in the Sengoku ring last November. The loss snapped a nine-bout unbeaten streak for the Nagoya native.

Urushitani and Miki first met in May 2008 and fought to a questionable draw. The pair squared off again last September, with Urushitani earning the unanimous decision most onlookers felt he deserved in the first meeting.

The Shooto 123-pound world championship was vacated on March 1, when Shinichi "BJ" Kojima announced that a nagging ACL injury in his right knee wouldn't allow him to defend the title on the May bill. It will be the first world title challenge for Miki, and the third for Urushitani, who contested the inaugural championship against Mamoru Yamaguchi in December 2003, and fought to a controversial draw with Kojima in March 2007.

Freire, 22, tapped out Endo last May right at the first-round bell. The Cearense up-and-comer went on to claim the vacant Shooto title in October, halting veteran Kenichiro Togashi in the first round of their bout, after breaking his nose. Meanwhile, Endo rebounded from his loss to "Chiquerim" by choking out Kotetsu Boku in September.

The card will also feature the aforementioned Rumina Sato against a yet-to-be-named opponent. The 36-year-old Sato last fought in October at "Vale Tudo Japan 2009," punching out then-unbeaten Team Quest product Cory Grant in the first round.

Also scheduled for the card, former Shooto world title challenger Eduardo "Dudu" Dantas will meet former Shooto rookie champion Hiromasa Ogikubo in a battle of once-beaten bantamweights, while Shintaro Ishiwatari will take on Wataru Miki in a 143-pound affair.

Feb 7, 2006
DUANE LUDWIG'S ANKLE SEVERELY BROKEN

Duane “Bang” Ludwig is a fighter that, in the words of UFC president Dana White, “always brings it, he always comes to fight.” He walked into the Octagon on the preliminary portion of Sunday night’s UFC on Versus 1 fight card at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colo., ready to fight, but unfortunately wasn’t able to walk back out.

Less than a minute into the bout, his opponent, Darren Elkins, shot the takedown. He landed it, but in the process, Ludwig’s left leg folded back underneath him, twisting his ankle at a grotesque angle, as he landed on his back.

Ludwig immediately voiced the issue to Elkins, who quickly backed off.

The replays almost appeared as if Ludwig broke his leg at a point in the lower portion of his shin, but that turned out not to be the case. It was initially relayed that he dislocated his ankle.

His camp later confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that Ludwig suffered a severe break to his ankle. The full extent of the injury isn’t clear at this time, but he will visit a specialist on Monday to verify the severity of the injury and determine the appropriate steps for recovery.

The members of his camp are fairly certain that he will require surgery, but will await Monday’s examination to determine the next course of action.

“That was a tough break,” said White. “I don’t know, we’ll see what happens with him. He’s always a kid that’s been on the radar, always hanging out there and ready and willing to fight.”