MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bantam- and Featherweights: Breaking Through a Glass Ceiling

In recent weeks and months, MMAPayout and others have discussed the feasibility of bringing the WEC and UFC together in some way. Most of these discussions have centered on the business practicality, from an organizational perspective, of a merger or re-branding. I thought it would be interesting now to examine the issue — one I frame as a lack of ppv, and thus economic, opportunities for lighter-weight fighters — from the perspective of the fighters themselves.

At some point it might be worth studying how we got here, but for current purposes it’s important only that this is the state of things: Zuffa owns two MMA organizations, the UFC and the WEC. UFC has five weight classes, starting at 155 lbs.; WEC has three weight classes, 135, 145, and ending at 155 lbs. WEC’s shows appear exclusively on Versus basic cable, whereas UFC’s biggest shows air on pay-per-view television. Consequently, it’s more lucrative to fight in the UFC than it is to fight in the WEC, though a beating remains a beating, and medical bills don’t discriminate based on a fighter’s purse.

Team Lloyd Irvin’s Muhsin Corbbrey (lightweight), who fights Anthony Njokuani at WEC 43 on October 10, noted that WEC’s smaller purses only become significant at the highest levels. In other words, the lower-level fighters in UFC aren’t making a ton of money, either (although they’re making more than their WEC counterparts), but when you get to the highest levels — the ppv draws like Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, and GSP — the money to be made fighting in UFC is enormous, and to date no bantam- or featherweight has even been given the opportunity to pass or fail the ppv test.

According to Muhsin, fighters shouldn’t expect to become wealthy off of their fight purses, but rather should use whatever visibility they gain through fighting to market themselves in other ways (e.g., sponsorships), and indeed this is an intelligent path for the vast majority of fighters.

But then there are the exceptions, the ones at the top end, the draws, or in the case of the smaller fighters, the potential draws, which brings me to the tragic case of Urijah Faber.

Surely it’s beyond debate that Zuffa and WEC missed the boat with Urijah Faber, WEC’s former 145-lb. champion. “The California Kid” had (and has) a look that screamed money, and, just as important, he can fight, but Faber was relegated throughout his multi-year title reign to fighting on the relatively limited universe of Versus, and not on ppv.

I emphasize that we’re not talking about a situation in which the public was offered, and rejected, the opportunity to pay to see an exciting smaller fighter, but instead the case had been conclusively settled in advance: Urijah Faber would never get to see how far he could go in the sport; it might be a loaded term, but so long as that ppv door remains closed, there’s an MMA glass ceiling for smaller fighters.

True, we’d hear rumblings of plans to put WEC led by Urijah on ppv, specifically with respect to Faber/Brown II, but the plans never came to fruition, and now that Brown seems to have Urijah’s number, the window of opportunity to capitalize on Faber’s potential superstardom has probably permanently closed.

Mike Brown, beast that he is, simply lacks that it factor, the ineffable charisma that’s so important in making the public want to pay to see you fight. (Muhsin noted that Brown, perfectly suited for fighting at 145, even tried his hand at 155, likely due to the greater economic potential fighting for UFC than for WEC.)

Mike Brown is limited by being Mike Brown, perhaps a great mixed martial artist, but oh so plain.

One fighter without such limitations is Team Lloyd Irvin’s Mike “The Hulk” Easton, Ultimate Warrior Challenge’s (UWC) 135 lbs. champion, who faces former WEC champion Chase Beebe at UWC 7 on October 3, in a fight that Mike Thomas, on MMA Nation radio referred to as the biggest ever in the DC area. It’s a fight that was supposed to take place way back in February, but for whatever reason, Beebe at that time decided to skip the weigh-ins and the scheduled UWC title confrontation. For Mike Easton, who has waited over half a year for the fight, the chase finally ends on October 10.

“I don’t know how I’m going to win, but I will win,” a smiling Mike told me last week as we talked, his two-year-old son, Champ Mike Easton, playing nearby. With Mike’s last two fights ending in victories via the guillotine choke, that might (or might not) prove instructive on October 3.

Easton – genuinely a nice guy — has such a laid back, warm personality that, and it’s almost a cliche at this point when it comes to martial artists, unless you knew beforehand, you’d never guess what he does for a living. Beyond that, this guy’s superstar potential is off the charts. Mike Easton has the rare combination that allows someone to break out from the pack: both the it factor (i.e., charisma) and the ability to fight at the highest levels.

Easton is someone to keep an eye on. I’ve heard him referred to as the hottest prospect in the Mid-Atlantic area, but I’d go further and say he’s the brightest superstar prospect at the bantam- or featherweight level since Urijah Faber. (You can watch three of his fights at Sherdog.) Easton oozes charisma from the time he steps through the curtain for his ring entrance, which he admits is influenced by his years watching professional wrestling, but this would mean nothing if Mike couldn’t follow it up in the cage. Follow it, though, he does, typically in devastating fashion, and it’s a pity that Mike Easton is not yet a better known name.

I have a theory, probably unprovable, that if ppv opportunities were available to someone like Mike, either through UFC or WEC, he probably would not still be fighting in the regional UWC, but as Easton said, he makes more money fighting for the UWC than he could for WEC. Easton also noted, though he couldn’t go into particulars, that the UWC has plans for greater MMA growth on the East Coast.

Irrespective of how big UWC gets, it obviously will never prove as financially rewarding to a superstar (or potential superstar) as fighting for UFC could be. My argument is that Mike Easton is that lighter-weight superstar, the next Urijah Faber, waiting in the wings. Zuffa blew it with Urijah; let’s hope that lessons have been learned, and wheels are in motion to prevent it from happening again.

Mike Easton has a very loyal, very devoted, regional following, which will be on display when he fights Chase Beebe at UWC 7 for the promotion’s bantamweight title on October 3 (I believe Sherdog.com will offer a live stream of the main card).

Feb 7, 2006
Rudimar: “Anderson is extraordinary"

Chute Boxe’s leader, team responsible to launch Anderson Silva, among many other MMA stars, Rudimar Fedrigo praised a lot the UFC champion. After humiliate Forrest Griffin inside the octagon, Anderson talked about his victory on the pages of TATAME Magazine’s September issue, and Fedrigo also praised the champion.

“He’s in an exceptional phase, with such a good sense of distance, in attack as in counter attack. It was one of the best fights I saw him doing. He’s doing great performances. He’s very creative and versatile, can be well and execute all this“, said Rudimar, echoed by Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira.

“Anderson dominated and showed he’s above his opponents. Griffin didn’t do a strategy fight as his last opponents. He came on hard and you saw what happened. On the last move he did as Ali, he avoided the punch without moving his head and knocked out walking back. Few boxers can do this“, praises the former Pride and UFC champion.

Feb 7, 2006
Renzo Gracie plans his MMA return in 2010

In 15 years of career on Vale-Tudo, Renzo Gracie already faced some of the toughest guys in one of the biggest events around the world. Despite of not being fighting since February 2007, when the Gracie defeated Ken Shamrock on EliteXC, Renzo never hide his desire to keep fighting, and he plans his return to rings.

“At the beginning of next year, we’ll me playing again”, said, always in a good mood, the tough fighter, in the break between one fight and another on Bitetti Combat, event where he was a referee, along with Big John McCarty. “It’s was an excellent organization, I’m impressed, this event will definitely move forward and bring this sport back to Rio de Janeiro”, said Renzo. “It’s awesome, that’s what was missing to push MMA now on... What they did was really made with love, that can be seeing for the quality of the event”.

Feb 7, 2006
Makoto Takimoto! Interested In Future Ishii Fight

Makoto Takimoto held an open training session at the J-ROCK workout studio today showing his boxing while wearing a long sleeve windbreaker. While it looks like the weight cut might be hard for him, Takimoto says that last time he had to cut 10 kg for his first fight at welterweight, but this time it’s only around half of that.

He has not really watched any footage of his opponent since there isn’t any available, but with his relaxed attitude going into fights he wasn’t intending to do much studying even if footage was available.

While Takimoto hasn’t won an MMA title since converting from judo, he looks at this fight as being one in which if he wins, he’ll be close to a title fight. For him, winning by KO or submission to make please the audience is ideal

While Takimoto wants his junior Hiroshi Izumi, who is like a younger brother to him, to do good in his MMA debut, about Ishii he said: “If Yoshida loses to him, I’d like to have a go at him next. I’m not thinking about it at present, but if the chance comes, I’d definitely like to try and fight him”.

Showing a smiling face and an interest in Ishii’s debut Takimoto finishes with: “Even if it’s an open-weight fight, it’s no problem”.

Feb 7, 2006
Hiroshi Izumi X Kazuo Misaki! The Special Flying Knee Is Passed Down

Athens silver medalist Hiroshi Izumi and coach Yoji Anjoh held an open training session in Tokyo today. In order for Izumi to get that little extra before his debut, a special coach joined the training today.

That special coach was none other than Kazuo Misaki, who went there to teach Izumi his special move, the flying knee.

Misaki says that when throwing it you should aim at your opponents chest, not face. If you do that, you’ll hit the face or body. Misaki showed the move on Anjoh who was holding the mitt. After receiving the explanation and seeing it, Izumi started practicing.

After the training, talking with reporters, Izumi said that while he is a little anxious for the fight, he feels relaxed and he has a good feeling heading into it.

Izumi says that the hardest thing for him thus far in his MMA training has been the striking, especially the sense of distance while striking. However, to feel the sense of distance is something he has practiced. 70% of his training has been on his stand-up.

Izumi hasn’t studied Nansen in preparation for the fight, he’ll fight with his own style and go with the flow. About wearing a gi, he’ll think about it from now on.

Izumi is grateful that he received the main event spot and he wants to have a fight which corresponds to that. Finally, when asked “KO?”, Izumi said: “That’s ideal…or perhaps I should say, that’s my objective!!!”.

Coach Yoji Anjoh thinks that Izumi has huge potential. Especially amazing are his 73 cm thighs he says. Drawing power out of them will become a weapon both standing and on the ground. He also thinks that Izumi is an intelligent fighter, he has a lot of thoughts while training. Anjoh assures that mentally- and cardio-wise, Izumi is ready.

Feb 7, 2006
LE STEPS DOWN; SHIELDS VS. MILLER FOR 185 BELT

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under intense consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

“I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request,” said Coker. “By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

Coker said he hoped to book the newly minted movie star again after his filming obligations are completed, though nothing was confirmed.

“With Cung, every six weeks we’ll be checking back with him,” he continued. “Now that he’s not going to be our title holder, we’ll put him in some big super fights and continue his MMA career, but not have the pressure of defending his belt when he has movie opportunities.”

Miller and Shields were expected to face off in October, but the bout, and event, never materialized. Both pointed the finger at one another for the delay. Miller on Thursday confirmed the fight via his official Twitter account, stating, “I duck NO ONE.”

Shields was unavailable for comment, but his manager/father, Jack Shields, said “we’re just pleased it’s happening. We’re happy to be back with CBS. With both of them doing the show, I’m sure it will create a lot of interest, and we’re really happy to be on the card with Fedor.”

Miller (29-6-1) hosts the MTV reality show “Bully Beatdown,” on which Shields has made multiple appearances. He last fought in late May, where an inadvertent illegal knee he threw in a middleweight title bid against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza forced a no contest stoppage.

Shields (28-4), a former EliteXC welterweight champion, defeated former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler in early June, stepping up from welterweight to a contest limited to 182 pounds in Strikeforce’s second major card televised by Showtime Networks.

Feb 7, 2006
KAMPMANN PREPARED FOR DALEY AT UFC 103

Martin "The Hitman" Kampmann was originally scheduled to face Mike "Quick" Swick at UFC 103 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. An injury forced Swick out of the bout and hard hitting British fighter Paul Daley stepped in to replace the American Kickboxing Academy fighter.

"I was preparing for Swick. I was looking forward to fighting Swick, but now Paul Daley steps up. He was supposed to fight too on the same night. I was happy they could switch it up and get me an opponent to fight," Kampmann told MMAWeekly.com.

Swick and Daley both like to strike, but have distinctively different striking styles. Kampmann, however, believes he'll be ready for whatever Daley brings to the Octagon on Saturday night.

"I think he (Daley) probably swings more, throws more bombs, and maybe goes more for the knockout. They're both good strikers. Maybe Swick relies more on speed and flurries and Daley maybe more on one punch bombs, combinations, too," commented Kampmann. "They're both good but of course different body types. One guy's short and one guy's tall, but (expletive) it. It's still a fight."

"I've been training hard. I should be prepared for whatever he brings. Of course you can never guarantee anything, but I'm coming in there to win and I'm coming to beat Paul Daley for sure."

Feb 7, 2006
KIMBO HELPS TUF 10 SET RECORD NUMBERS FOR SPIKE

There was a significant amount of anticipation coming into the tenth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Wednesday night’s premiere delivered to the tune of 4.1 million viewers; the largest draw in the history of the series.

Despite the delays in the post-series bout between coaches Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Sugar” Rashad Evans, YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice was enough to pull in 1.3 million more total viewers than the finale of season three, which boasted the previous series high of 2.8 million total viewers.

“The intriguing cast of ‘The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights’ has true mass appeal, and the numbers show that this sport is not just for a niche audience anymore,” said Kevin Kay, Spike TV President.

A Spike TV release noted that not only was Wednesday’s TUF 10 premiere the most watched episode in series history, but also the most watched episode for a Spike TV original series. “The Joe Schmo Show” season finale in 2003 previously held the network record at 3.4 million total viewers.

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White confirms Anderson Silva to undergo elbow surgery, rules out heavyweight bout

DALLAS – While UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has insisted he's currently ready to fight on a moment's notice, UFC president Dana White told a different story at today's UFC 103 pre-fight press conference.

White said "The Spider" is set to have bone spurs removed from his elbow, and while the procedure is routine, Silva will still need time to recover.

"Contrary to whatever the hell [Silva] is saying, he's not 200 percent healthy," White said. "He's having some bone spurs removed from his elbow, which is a simple little procedure that happens, but you've got to have recovery time."

Messages left by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) for Ed Soares, Silva's manager, for confirmation of White's claims were not immediately returned.

White said heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar recently underwent a similar bone spur removal procedure.

"Brock just had the same thing done," White said. "He said when they went in there and took it out it was a shark's tooth. He said it was driving him crazy and he had it taken out."

When Silva is ready to return to action, White said he's open to fights at both 185 and 205 pounds. But the UFC exec said he's not ready to see Silva vacate his middleweight title just yet.

"He's probably two fights away from literally emptying out the middleweight division," White said. "But that's great. I think in my opinion, that's what makes fighters great. When there's not another guy standing where people go, 'What about him? He might win.' When they're all gone, then the guy moves up to the next weight class and does the same thing. I think that's what makes guys legendary, fighters that people remember forever.

"I wouldn't want to see [Silva] vacate the title until everybody's gone. I'll give you an example. Let's say Vitor (Belfort) comes in, and Vitor has to fight Dan Henderson and (Nate) Marquardt, and he goes right in and knocks both of them out in the first round. Anderson vacated the title, and people go, 'Oh, Vitor would have beat him.' You annihilate everybody. You don't leave a guy standing in the division, and then you move."

White said he still hopes to convince Henderson to sign a new contract and take on Marquardt in an effort to determine the division's true top contender and create an undeniable challenger to Silva's 185-pound title.

"I still want to see Henderson and Marquardt fight," White said. "I like that fight. I think that fight makes sense, and I'd like to see it.

"But you never know. We'll see what happens. It could end up being Henderson."

Whether Silva returns to the light heavyweight division following his impending surgery or defends his middleweight belt against one of the division's top contenders, White clarified that recent rumors of a heavyweight clash with Frank Mir were unfounded.

"Oh, hell no," White told MMAjunkie.com. "That's B.J. Penn craziness. He'll never fight heavyweight here. That's insane.

"Well, I guess if he annihilated the entire light heavyweight division, which is a tall [expletive] order – you'd have a lot of work to do because that thing is stacked. It would take him three years to do that."

Feb 7, 2006
"Collateral damage" from Jackson's "A-Team" role includes lack of counter-programming options

DALLAS – UFC light heavyweight superstar Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's decision to forego a December bout with Rashad Evans has resulted in a series of headaches for UFC brass.

Rescheduling main events and shuffling fight locations may seem troubling enough, but today White admitted he was forced to scrap plans for a potential third event in November based on Jackson's decision to take a role as B.A. Baracus in a feature film version of "The A-Team."

"Thanks to [expletive] B.A. Baracus, I couldn't [expletive] pull it off," White said. "B.A. [expletive] me. The collateral damage that was done by him doing this thing was unbelievable."

That revelation comes at a particularly interesting time when paired with today's Strikeforce announcement that the organization will host an event on CBS on Nov. 7 – the rumored date of the now-scrapped UFC event – that will feature top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

But White said the loss of a counter-programming option is but one of the effects of Jackson's Hollywood aspirations.

With Jackson withdrawing from a planned December bout with opposing "The Ultimate Fighter 10: Heavyweights" coach Evans – a bout that was scheduled to take place in "Rampage's" hometown of Memphis, Tenn. – White was forced to schedule a B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez bout in the main event of the as-yet-unannounced UFC 107 event.

White said that switch forced a domino effect for the organization's remaining 2009 events.

"You have no idea how much collateral damage was done by [Jackson] pulling out of this thing," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It literally screwed up the rest of our year. We've got B.J. Penn fighting in Memphis, you know what I mean?"

White said he thought he had talked "Rampage" out of doing the movie, but the situation quickly took a turn for the worse.

"What happens is, [Jackson] calls up and says he's doing this movie. I said, 'No, you're not. You're going to fight Rashad in December. You do whatever you want to do after this fight. You want to retire and become an actor? You want to join the monastery? I don't care what you do after this fight, but 'Rampage,' you're going to fight this fight.'

"He said, 'OK.' Then he had his manager fly in from England and met me at the hangar before I was leaving to go out of town to tell me that he wasn't going to (fight Evans). [Rampage] and I haven't talked since."

While many MMA observers have wondered aloud how White could allow Jackson to walk away from the fight, the UFC exec said his hands were tied.

"You can't make anybody fight," White said. "I can't force anybody to fight. You don't want to fight, then you're not going to fight. And you don't want a guy going into it whose head isn't in to fighting, anyway.

"If you'd rather be on the set of 'The A-Team,' then you definitely don't belong in the octagon."

White admits Jackson's decision has caused a rift between the two.

"I feel like he [expletive] me," White said. "I'm not even talking to 'Rampage.' I'm really, really upset with 'Rampage.'"

One more victim of the collateral damage was original opponent Evans. White said he's simply not sure what the next move for "Sugar" will be.

"[Evans] is really messed up over this whole thing," White said. "He wants to fight 'Rampage.'

"When you get your mind set that this is who you're going to fight – he's bummed out about it. I think he's going to need a little recovery time before we decide if he's fighting 'Rampage' or somebody else."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC won't return to Columbus, Ohio, in 2010

Despite launching the Ultimate Fighting Championship's expansion into the Midwest, and despite hosting three consecutive successful shows since 2007, Columbus, Ohio, will not get a fourth UFC show in 2010.

As MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp reports for the Dayton Daily News, UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed Columbus won't get a visit from the UFC next year.

Back in March, when the UFC hosted its third consecutive event in conjunction with the Arnold Sports Festival, White vowed to return.

"We love Columbus," White said back in March when the Ohio Athletic Commission presented him a lifetime matchmaker's license. "Every year we've been here, we've been successful. We plan to keep going back every year and making this a regular thing."

But the UFC's current expansion plans and desire to visit new cities will apparently trump that promise.

The Arnold Sports Festival is a three-day sports and fitness exhibition that draws tens of thousands of people to Columbus. Tapping into that market, the UFC hosted three successful shows, including UFC 68 (which set a still-standing U.S. MMA attendance record with 19,049 and shattered the Nationwide Arena record with a $3 million gate) in 2007, UFC 82 (16,043 for a $2.2 million gate) in 2008, and UFC 96 (17,033 attendees for a $1.8 million gate) earlier this year.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 19 peaks with 2.9 million viewers, second most in series history

The 19th installment of UFC Fight Night, which aired this past Wednesday (Sept. 17) on Spike TV, drew 2.5 million viewers, which accounted for the second-largest audience ever to tune in for the fight series.

UFC Fight Night 14, which took place in July 2008 and countered "Affliction: Banned," still holds the record with 3.1 million viewers.

However, the latest broadcast peaked with 2.9 million viewers for Nate Diaz's main-event submission victory over Melvin Guillard and helped the two-hour broadcast win some key demographics.

The event took place at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

UFC Fight Night 19 was the most-watched cable program in its timeslot among men 18-34 and 18-49.

The event got off to a rousing start when Nate Quarry and Tim Credeur engaged in an epic three-round, back-and-forth middleweight bout to open the night's broadcast. Quarry, who was nearly stopped in the first round, stormed back for the unanimous decision win. He and Credeur both earned $30,000 Fight of the Night bonuses.

In addition to the headliner, the broadcast featured two other solid fights: Carlos Condit's split-decision win over very game UFC newcomer Jake Ellenberger, and Gray Maynard's split-decision victory over a resilient Roger Huerta.

UFC Fight Night 19 served as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10." As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, the heavyweights-only season of the reality series, which features a host of notables (including former EliteXC headliner Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson), crushed the series' ratings record with 4.1 million viewers. The previous high (for the season-three debut) was just 2.8 million viewers. And an additional 864,000 viewers tuned in for the "TUF 10" replay a few hours later.

Feb 7, 2006
Noah Thomas replaces Rafael Rebello, meets Scott Jorgensen at WEC 43

Noah Thomas (13-5 MMA, 0-1 WEC) has replaced Rafael Rebello and now fights Scott Jorgensen (6-3 MMA, 2-2 WEC) at WEC 43.

Thomas announced the fight on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

WEC 43, originally scheduled for Sept. 2 in Youngstown, Ohio, now takes place Oct. 18 at the 18,000-seat AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas. Benson Henderon and Donald Cerrone fight for a WEC interim lightweight title in the night's main event.

The night's main card airs on Versus, though the Thomas vs. Jorgensen bout takes place on the night's un-aired preliminary card.

Thomas, perhaps best known as a lightweight cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 5" (who was kicked off the show for a backyard brawl with Marlon Sims), then went on a seven-fight win streak, dropped to bantamweight, and signed with the WEC as a late replacement for Eddie Wineland and fought Frank Gomez at WEC 41. Thomas, though, suffered a second-round submission loss for just his second defeat in more than three years.

Jorgensen, meanwhile, looks to push his WEC record over .500 at WEC 43. The former Ring of Fire and EliteXC fighter made his WEC debut in early 2008 and suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Damacio Page. Jorgensen then posted victories over Kenji Osawa and Frank Gomez, but in his most recent bout, he suffered a close split-decision loss to Antonio Banuelos at WEC 41 to move his record to 2-2 in the promotion.

The latest WEC 43 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson (for WEC interim lightweight title)
* Dave Jansen vs. Richard Crunkilton Jr.
* Damacio Page and Akitoshi Tamura
* Rafael Assuncao vs. Yves Jabouin

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Muhsin Corbbrey vs. Anthony Njokuani
* Scott Jorgensen vs. Noah Thomas
* Wagnney Fabiano vs. Erik Koch
* Manny Tapia vs. Eddie Wineland
* Charlie Valencia vs. Coty Wheeler
* Mark Hominick vs. Deividas Taurosevicius

Feb 7, 2006
ELIOT MARSHALL READY FOR THE NEXT TEST

The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 standout Eliot Marshall this weekend goes for his third consecutive victory since debuting with the UFC this past December. He returns at UFC 103 in Dallas on Saturday, on the heels of a pivotal UFC 97 performance where he defeated fellow cast member Vincent Magalhaes via unanimous decision.

It’s hard to argue with the results this native of Colorado has garnered since joining the UFC ranks. He has a strong team behind him with Greg Jackson leading the helm, and training partners who include Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt and Georges St. Pierre, to name a few.

Marshall has become accustomed to the hectic pace that his team sets. At least one or two Jackson fighters grace nearly every UFC event.

“What’s crazy is that, you have to make for your own down time because somebody has always got a fight between everyone in the camp,” said Marshall while as a guest on the MMAWeekly Radio show.

“It’s been nice. Nate’s (Marquardt) just got done fighting, Shane’s (Carwin) got Brock (Lesnar) coming up, and they’re with me, so everyone’s been scrapping the last couple of weeks here.

“I love it when everyone’s got a fight because the fight won’t be harder than the camp,” he added.

You wouldn’t be able to tell with his last two fights, but the stand-up game isn’t Marshall’s strong suit. In his fight with Jules Bruchez at the Season 8 finale, Marshall put his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt to work, employing the game plan that’s proved effective thus far: staying on the feet long enough to set up the takedown and work for a submission.

It was the match-up with Magalhaes, a world-renowned Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner, which proved his most difficult task to date. It also marked a change, a new level that the 29-year-old has reached in his efforts to continue to improve as a fighter.

“Vinny for sure was a very, kind of difficult fight for me just for the fact that his strength was my strength and he might even be a little bit better at it,” said Marshall.

“That fight was very difficult just because my game plan has never been keep it on the feet the whole time, get back up, all that stuff. My game plan has always been, ‘well, I’ll strike, but if we go down, I’m going to try to submit you down there, too, or I’ll try to take you down as well.’ It was a very good learning lesson for me that I can keep it on the feet and win.

“If you want to evolve as a fighter then you have to put yourself in uncomfortable situations, uncomfortable fights that are going to make you grow and learn and whether you win or lose them, you really don’t have too much control over that, but how you respond during a fight and after a fight is what you have control over.”

Now on course for his third fight in the big show, Marshall faces Jason Brilz, who has also found some recent success in the UFC, going 2-0 in the organization and 17-1-1 overall.

It would be easy to think that out of Marshall’s entire arsenal, his wrestling has been his biggest weakness. This was highlighted in his loss in the semi-finals on The Ultimate Fighter to eventual winner Ryan Bader, who took Marshall down repeatedly throughout the course of the match en-route to a unanimous decision victory.

He’s been taking all the necessary precautions leading up to his match-up against Brilz, who is an assistant wrestling coach at his alma mater, the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

“I’ve been wrestling a ton,” said Marshall. “I’ve been wrestling with all these college wrestlers and it sucks to wrestle with college wrestlers because you can’t punch them in the face to try to keep them off you. It’s a great test and I don’t want any easy fights. I’m not in this to be famous or to be a superstar because everybody sees’s who I am.”

A relative unknown to the mainstream audience, Brilz possesses a dangerous style of a strong, disciplined wrestling background that has translated well into his mixed martial career. Soon-to-be-father Marshall knows just what he’s up against, another tough wrestler. It’s exactly what he wants.

“I want tough fights, so this is a tough fight. This is kind of the worst kind of tough fight because not a lot of people know who Brilz is. It’s what I want, I want to test myself.”

Feb 7, 2006
Great Dane: An MMAmania.com UFC 103 interview exclusive with Martin ‘Hitman’ Kampmann

Martin Kampmann learned a valuable, albeit unsolicited lesson from Nate Marquardt at UFC 88 last September at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

“The Great” size and strength advantage of his opponent proved to be too much to deal with for the noticeably smaller Kampmann, who eventually succumbed to a first round TKO loss.

The move down to his ideal weight class at the welterweight limit of 170 pounds was the logical step — and he certainly hasn’t disappointed since making the transition.

At UFC 93 he was relegated to a preliminary card match up against the Brazilian Alexandre Barros, whom he promptly TKO’d in the second round with relative ease.

Next up was the first headlining fight of his career at UFC Fight Night 18 back on April 1 against another young superstar in the making, former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit.

It turned out to be one of the best fights of the year up to that point with Kampmann recording the split decision victory and showing off his wide array of boxing, Muay Thai, and jiu-jitsu skills.

The UFC management took notice and set up a September 19 fight at UFC 103 with American Kickboxing Academy product Mike “Quick” Swick, who is also undefeated at welterweight (4–0).

The winner was to be the lucky recipient of a title shot against Georges St. Pierre, likely to take place sometime in early 2010, which easily made that fight the most important of Kampmann’s career.

The problem, however, was that just days ago Swick sustained an injury during training and was forced to withdraw from the matchup.

He was instantly replaced by another dangerous striker in UFC newcomer Paul “Semtex” Daley.

It is now unclear whether or not Kampmann will still earn that title shot with a victory, however, he would be best served to assume that is still the case and let the chips fall where they may.

In the meantime, “The Hitman” took some time out of his busy schedule to discuss the move to welterweight, swapping Swick for Daley, GSP, entrance music and potential look-a-likes.

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You had a tough loss to Nate Marquardt down in Atlanta at UFC 88 and you made the decision to drop from middleweight to welterweight. Was that directly related to the fight or had you debated doing it prior to that point?

Martin Kampmann: I had been debating that for a long time before. I wanted to go down to 170 for a long time. I walk around at pretty much the same weight. I decided with my manager we would keep going at 185 because I had been doing good so far. Then whether it’s a loss or a victory we’ll take it from there.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is the cut to 170 easy for you now?

Martin Kampmann: Very easy.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You’re now 2–0 at 170 pounds. How is the 170-pound Martin Kampmann different from the 185-pound version? Have you noticed a difference?

Martin Kampmann: It’s pretty much the same guy. A little lighter. Not much.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You’re coming off a big victory over Carlos Condit back on April 1 at the UFC Fight Night event. What was it like to be the headlining fight? What was that whole experience like for you?

Martin Kampmann: It was great. It was a big honor to be the main event. Hopefully some other time I’ll be the main event again.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Did you feel added pressure to really put on a great show because you were the headlining fight?

Martin Kampmann: I don’t know. Once you get in there and get punched in the head then you’re not thinking about the pressure anymore. I was getting a lot more attention before the fight, of course, interviews and stuff like that. The pressure wasn’t so bad. We did a good show. I think we did a real great fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Last Friday (Sept. 4) it was announced Paul Daley would replace Mike Swick as your next opponent for UFC 103 due to Swick’s injury he had sustained a few days earlier in training. Did you find out at the end of last week like everyone else or had you known it was a possibility for a few days?

Martin Kampmann: I think I knew either Thursday night or Friday morning so it was last minute for me too.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Your initial reaction to the news that Swick was out of the fight for sure?

Martin Kampmann: I was very disappointed. I have been training hard to fight Swick and I was looking forward to it so of course I was disappointed.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you approach Daley the same way as Swick since they both have very good, aggressive striking? Will it be a seamless transition on short notice?

Martin Kampmann: They are different guys but there are still similarities. They both like the stand-up game. They have different body types but my training camp was good. There’s not much I need to change up. I think I’ll be well prepared still.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Daley made a statement about you in a recent interview with Thisisnottingham.co.uk saying, “His flaws are very exploitable for someone with my speed and power. I can KO him with one punch or kick.” Would you care to respond?

Martin Kampmann: The guy can crack, you know. I’ve been hit by some heavy-ass handed people before. If he gives me a good shot I can take it.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you have an official prediction for the fight?

Martin Kampmann: Whatever it is (I don’t care). As long as I win I’m happy.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you think it is still possible to get a title shot with a convincing victory?

Martin Kampmann: It’s really up to the UFC. I don’t know. I can’t worry about that. I’m just focused on Daley right now.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Say all goes well at UFC 103 for you but the UFC decides not to give you GSP next, would you be open to fighting Swick in a couple months if he waits for you?

Martin Kampmann: Yeah sure. I think that could make sense. First I’m going to do this fight and then take a week off on vacation. Then I’ll come back and train and see how I feel and see what makes sense.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If Swick decides to take a fight pretty quick against someone else is there another name out there that would make sense for you to face like a Jon Fitch or a Matt Hughes?

Martin Kampmann: I don’t know. Call me after the fight and then we’ll talk.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Georges St. Pierre is at pinnacle of your division and has been very dominant in your weight class for a while now. Is this guy invincible?

Martin Kampmann: He’s been looking very, very good. He’s pretty close to invincible but anyone can be beaten on any given night and Matt Serra already showed that.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Who are a few guys you love to watch fight or look up to out there that may or may not be in the UFC?

Martin Kampmann: I enjoy watching GSP a lot. He’s a great fighter and he’s fun to watch. Thiago (Alves) he just fought is a guy I like watching too. Of course, Anderson Silva. I also like watching guys I know and guys I train with like Gray Maynard and Tyson (Griffin). I’m going to look forward to watching those guys fight. It’s always more fun to watch people that you train with fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What is your routine the night before a big fight? What do you do? Go to sleep real early? Listen to music? Watch the entire Rocky series?

Martin Kampmann: No Rocky series. I’m just chilling out. Kicking back and relaxing and maybe going for a little light training the night before. I’ll work a little bit on what I’m going to do in the fight and break a light sweat. Then I’ll go chill in the room and get a good night’s sleep and be ready for the day after.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you know what your entrance music is going to be for UFC 103?

Martin Kampmann: I think it’s going to be the same I used last time, Three 6 Mafia’s “It’s a Fight.” I’m still looking for something good. I haven’t found the perfect entrance song. That’s one Ron Fisher gave me at Xtreme Couture. He’s usually the guy with the music. He’s a DJ. He brings his IPod to the gym. I told him to find me an entrance song and he gave me that one.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Staying with the music thread – has anyone ever told you that you look like Billy Corgan, the lead singer of The Smashing Pumpkins?

Martin Kampmann: I don’t look like that guy, come on.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): (laughs) Maybe if he lost 30 or 40 pounds.

Martin Kampmann: (laughs) 30 or 40 pounds? And if I dyed my hair black.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Well I guess I tried. That’s all I had for you Martin. Is there anything you would like to pass along to your fans out there before we go or any sponsors you want to thank?

Martin Kampmann: Thank you to Hitman Fight Gear for hooking me up with some cool clothing. Thanks to Xtreme Couture and all the fans supporting me and MMA Agents.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Thanks again and best of luck to you at UFC 103.

Martin Kampmann: Thanks Derek. I appreciate it.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 106: Manager talks Cane vs. Nogueira

On UFC 106, that happens on November 21st, Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira will make his UFC debut against the tough Luis “Banha” Cane. Talking with TATAME.com, ATT manager, Alex Davis, responsible for Cane’s negotiations in the UFC, lamented the decision to put his athlete against his compatriot.

“That was the last fight we wanted. When Joe (Silva) offered it to us, I asked to put his against any other American, Forrest, Rashad, Rampage, but they said you have to fight whoever they put in front of you“, said Alex. With an old relationship with Minotouro, Alex was sad with event’s decision.

“Rogério is my friend, Banha is his fan... They don’t train together, but they have an old relationship with me, I was the first to put him to fight outside Brazil, already train a lot of times on ATT and he’s everyone’s friend up there. Banha likes him a lot, we didn’t want this fight“, told Davis, who also talked to Minotouro about the combat. And his expectation is for a big fight.

“Is going to be a tough fight, nobody needs to talk about Rogério, he has an excellent ground and boxing game. Banha is also really tough, hits hard, and this fight will be dramatic, really tough”, analyses Davis, seeing the combat as a short way of Banha getting closer to the title. “The only thing that cheers me on that is that, if Banha pass thru Rogério, he’ll have possibilities to fight fort he title on a close future”, reveled the manager

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM.11! Tatsuya Kawajiri Enters The Battle

One and a half new fights and a pull out have been announced for the October 6th DREAM.11 event. Tatsuya Kawajiri returns to MMA to take on Melchor Barracuda, Bob Sapp will fill in for Gegard Mousasi to take on Sokoudjou, and J.Z. Calvan is officially out of his fight against Daisuke Nakamura due to a right knee injury.

Barracuda has an MMA record of 2-2 and fights out of Purebred Spike22. He has participated three times in the Wrestling World Championships and got through to the semifinals at ADCC 1999 where he lost to Royler Gracie.

HEIWA DREAM.11 Featherweight GP 2009 Finals
Date: October 6th, 2009
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

DREAM Lightweight Title Fight:
Joachim Hansen vs. Shinya Aoki

Featherweight GP 2009 Finals:
Tokoro/Takaya vs. Warren/Fernandes
Hideo Tokoro vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
Joe Warren vs. Bibiano Fernandes

Featherweight GP 2009 Reserve Fight:
DJ.taiki vs. Kazuyuki Miyata

Lightweight Fights:
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Melchor Barracuda
Daisuke Nakamura vs. TBA

Super Hulk Tournament Semifinals:
Minowaman vs. Choi Hong Man
Sokoudjou vs. Bob Sapp

Feb 7, 2006
Hang on Sloopy: WEC could take UFC's March slot in Columbus, Ohio

Perhaps it won't be a total wash for Ohio fight fans, after all.

On Thursday UFC president Dana White said the Ultimate Fighting Championship won't make a fourth consecutive March trip to Columbus, Ohio, which had posted three blockbuster UFC events from 2007 to 2009.

But today, a source with knowledge of the discussions told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the UFC's sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting, might instead make the trip, which would coincide with the Arnold Sports Festival.

WEC officials, though, declined to comment on the matter.

The Arnold Sports Festival, named after former bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger, is a three-day sports and fitness exhibition that draws tens of thousands of people to Columbus. The festival, which began in 1989, features competitions in everything from boxing to bodybuilding to cheerleading to armwrestling. The 2010 festival takes place March 5-7.

The WEC has never ventured to Ohio, though next month's WEC 43 event originally was scheduled for Youngstown. But an injury to headliner Benson Henderson forced a postponement and eventual move to San Antonio.

The Ohio Athletic Commission regulates more MMA events per year than any other commissions, including those in Nevada and California, thanks to the state's rapidly growing MMA fan base. The addition of the Arnold Sports Festival crowds could give the WEC an opportunity to draw one of its biggest crowds ever, especially if the event were held at the 20,000-seat Nationwide Arena.