MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Gegard Mousasi is a stand-up guy

Sobral is so tough. When he comes, he comes to fight. It will be a good test for me. With Sobral, I will try to fight (my) stand-up game. If it goes to the ground, I will take top position and work him over with my ground and pound. Sobral will have to watch out for my elbows; I want to use them in this fight. If I end up on my back, I can defend myself and eventually we will stand back up again.”

Former DREAM middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi prepares for his stiffest test to date when he challenges Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Renato Sobral at Affliction 3: ‘Trilogy” on August 1 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. “The Dreamcatcher” has finally made his long anticipated move to 205 lbs., and if his recent drubbing of Mark Hunt at DREAM 9 back in May is any indication, Mousasi is going to make a lot of noise in the heavier weight classes. First things first — get past the very dangerous “Babalu,” who doesn’t plan on being anyone’s stepping stone. Did Mousasi bite off more than he can chew? Or is Sobral going to sleep? Predictions please.

Feb 7, 2006
Hayabusa Fight Wear Added To UFC Banned List

Add another brand to the recent spate of clothing lines being banned from the Octagon by the UFC. MMAPayout has learned that Hayabusa Fight Wear, a brand favored by Canadian fighters like Denis Kang among others, has just been added to a list of blackballed brands that includes Rolling Stone, Dethrone, and One More Round.

Steve Sievert of MMAJunkie should be commended for his early reporting on these sponsor issues, as well as Sam Caplan for breaking the first concrete examples of this policy being instituted, especially the $100,000 fees that have been put in place to access fighters. Kudos to the writer at Yahoo with balls for calling the UFC on these moves when they were first rumored. I’d love to see follow-ups from Steve amd Maggie now that this has come to fruition.

This policy has been going on for a while, with managers mentioning a sponsor tax on occasion but loathe to attach a dollar figure to the amount. The top tier players in apparel (and mma apparel retailing) are either giving up points in their company or have being paying the fee for quite a while. At this point, the big fish have been snagged and the UFC is now rounding up the stragglers.

This is a situation that has been brewing for quite a while, and one that we have commented on. In our piece for SI.com, we noted that the UFC would move to become the central conduit through which all sponsor dollars would flow. They are looking to institute trickle down economic theory on the world of MMA sponsorships, where the big dollars are deposited at the corporate level with the UFC, with the minor amounts trickling down to the fighters. The $100,000 dollar fee is lining the UFC’s pockets, but at the same time is shifting the primary relationship in sponsorship from the Fighter/Manager combo and the sponsor to the sponsor and the UFC. With the fighter/sponsor relationship altered, the portability of sponsorships if one leaves the UFC is lessened. With the UFC controlling all the moving parts of revenue for fighters, the specter of the UFC moving towards 360 deals is becoming increasingly probable. For all of the reasons above, the shift in Sponsorships in the UFC doesn’t bode well for the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
PAUL BUENTELLO: "EVERYBODY'S COUNTING ME OUT"

The hype train hasn’t even begun to roll yet, and Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello (27-10) feels he’s been cast as the underdog for his fight with Gilbert Yvel at Affliction "Trilogy." And that’s exciting to him, because there’s nowhere to go but up.

“Everybody’s already counting me out. I’ve gotta be able to do this, and be able to do that, and I love being in that position,” said Buentello. “I don’t like being in the top position. I love being counted out.”

The 35-year-old Texan doesn’t name his accusers, and says the pessimists are "people giving their opinion." He often takes cues from Internet message boards, and likes to have fun with the MMA public’s perception of him, frequently enlisting fans to provide feedback on his career path. Apparently, somebody out there doesn't like the match-up.

Five weeks ago, Buentello began training with the knowledge he’d be back in the ring on Aug. 1, against whom he didn’t know. Gilbert Yvel emerged as his opponent for Affliction “Trilogy,” earning a spot on the event’s main card with a blistering knockout of veteran Pedro Rizzo.

Until the event, Buentello will reside at American Kickboxing Academy, getting ready to combat Yvel’s stand-up centered attack.

Buentello says he hasn’t shot for a takedown once in his career, and unless Yvel offers him a surefire way to get on top, doesn’t plan on making an exception.

His trainer, Bob Cook, says his pay will be earned that night.

“This is going to be a long night, your cardio has to be really, really good,” said Buentello.

It’s safe to say that he will face a far greater challenge than his last fight, against Kiril “Baby Fedor” Sidelnikov, who he systematically punished for three rounds before the referee took mercy on the Russian. Sidelnikov later tested positive for steroids and was suspended for a year by the California State Athletic Commission.

Yvel, now under the tutelage of MMA pioneer John Lewis, appears to have turned a corner in his training. He's more patient and less “Hurricane.” Still, he retains the aura of a bully who’s sudden streaks of violence – whether in or out of the ring – destroy fighters who let him play his game. Those who take him to the ground are virtually guaranteed a chance to be not only competitive, but dominant.

Buentello’s heavy hands and willingness to engage are his best allies in the fight.

“Just try to break that aura,” he said of his model for bullies. “Stay in their face. Throw as many punches as I can. If you’ve ever heard that saying, a fighter can never be made, you’re either born with it or you’re not? Everybody knows I don’t have the skill. I don’t have that look. But I guarantee, and everybody knows, if I show up to fight, I’m gonna bring it. I’m a gamer.

“That’s one of the things that makes it interesting. He don’t care, and I’ve been through some really tough fights and I don’t care what happens. I’m going to let my hands go no matter what. Yvel’s going to bring it 110 percent and I’m going to match him every step that he goes.”

Buentello also carries the belief that fate will decide who shows up that night; if he’s on his game, if Yvel’s off, or if they’re both on. Training, dieting, and sleeping – those are the variables that can be controlled.

“If I’m on the top of my game and he makes just a couple of mistakes, and I’m on, I’ll probably be able to stop him,” Buentello continued. “But if he’s on, and I’m on, it’s going to be a long fricking night.

“That’s the thing I love about the sport. Just like Fedor, you can come in 29-1 and if it’s your day, it’s your day. You don’t have that choice to pick that... you put in your hard training and go out there and give it 100 percent.”

Feb 7, 2006
15 Questions for Royler Gracie

Considered by many the best tactical and technical jiu-jitsu competitor in history, Royler Gracie recently relocated to San Diego.

The three-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion and three-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships winner sat down with Sherdog.com for an exclusive interview.

Sherdog: You had the opportunity to move to the US right after your brother, Royce, won the first UFC in 1993. Why did you decide to move there now?
Gracie: I’m probably the last of the Mohicans to leave Brazil. Actually, 10 years ago, I lived in L.A. I stayed one year there, but I didn’t like the lifestyle, so I decided to return to Rio de Janeiro. Last year, I decided to move to San Diego, which is more like Rio. I’m living in La Jola, which is an amazing place very close to the beach.

Sherdog: What was behind your decision?
Gracie: Actually, it was for two reasons. First, I was kind of fed up being the head of the Gracie Academy for almost 25 years -- taking care of every single detail, from the classes to the lamps, cleaning up the place and everything. I was getting tired of it, so I decided to take a break. Actually, I didn’t come to America to open a jiu-jitsu academy. I can change my mind, but for now, I’m just planning seminars around the world. My working papers are fine, so it’s been a great experience. I don’t know how long it’s going to last. Maybe one day I’ll change my mind and return to teaching classes and spending my day inside an academy. For now, I’m just planning to travel and give seminars, something that I really like to do; they normally happen on weekends, so I have the whole week to stay at home with my family, go to the beach or surf. The second reason is that I was so overloaded in Brazil that I didn’t have time to put on a gi and train. I had to change my whole schedule to be able to surf. Here in San Diego, I totally changed my lifestyle. This week, I was cycling with my daughter in the middle of the week, something I couldn’t do for a long time in Rio. Last week, I was surfing on Wednesday. My lifestyle improved a lot. I’m taking care of myself, which is something I couldn’t do in Brazil. My plan now is to just return to Rio on vacation.

Sherdog: When you want to train in the US, where do you go?
Gracie: My training center is at the University of Jiu-Jitsu, with Saulo and Xande Ribeiro in San Diego. When we have important competitions, I go there to lead the training, but it’s important to make it clear that I don’t teach there. Me and Saulo have an excellent relationship; sometimes he sends a private student to me. I have built a nice dojo in the garage of my house, and it’s a nice area where I receive friends and give private classes. But Saulo’s academy is definitely my headquarters in US.

Sherdog: Where do you give seminars, and how can people who are interested contact you?
Gracie: I have given a lot of seminars since I came to the US -- in Colorado, Miami, Canada, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia. I’m very impressed that, even with all these world crises, the invitations for seminars didn’t decrease. People normally contact me by sending e-mails to my personal e-mail: [email protected]

Sherdog: How did your father react when you told him that you decided to come to the US?
Gracie: The crisis had just started. I went to talk to him, to tell him I had made that decision, and went to ask him what he thought about the crisis. He said “The crisis has existed as long as the world has existed. Every 10 years, the world passes through a big crisis, not only the world but all the families and people pass through natural crises that are naturally overcome. Go there. I’m sure you are going to do great.” Unfortunately, three months later, he died.

Sherdog: How do you compare jiu-jitsu today to your time?
Gracie: In competition, I believe it will always be evolving because today you have the technology, something we didn’t have 20 years ago. On the other hand, the jiu-jitsu game is getting more tied down, but I believe a good competitor has to know how to study the opponent, not just think about submissions. He must know how to win using advantages, points and, of course, submissions. The competitor must know how to play with the crowd, with referees in mind, and make the audience support him. There are a lot of things nobody taught me that I just learned competing.

Sherdog: How do you compare the growth of jiu-jitsu to the growth of MMA?
Gracie: I believe jiu-jitsu is going to be much bigger around the world than MMA. Actually, it already is because MMA fighters are restricted, between 18 and 35 years old. In jiu-jitsu, you start training when you are 3 years old, and you can train until you’re 80 years old, so it’s a much bigger range. I’m sure there are many more people practicing jiu-jitsu than MMA around the world.

Sherdog: How do you view the jiu-jitsu representatives in MMA?
Gracie: We are very well represented. We have Demian Maia, who is probably the number one representative of jiu-jitsu in MMA after Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Actually, I met Rodrigo last week, and he is an amazing person. That’s what the sport needs -- good examples of idols. I don’t have too much contact with Anderson Silva, but he also looks like a nice person, and, for me, he also represents jiu-jitsu, even as a striker. When he’s fighting on the ground, he never disappoints me. We also have Thales Leites, who is doing a nice job in the Octagon. Roger Gracie also had a nice beginning, and we have Xande Ribeiro and Rolles Gracie coming.

Sherdog: During your career, which competitions impacted you the most in jiu-jitsu and MMA?
Gracie: In jiu-jitsu, I think the world championships in 1997 will always be remembered. I had seven fights -- in my weight category and in the absolute division. In my category, I defeated Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro, in the final. He was a 17-year-old boy who came in hungry, and I was 35 years old. Actually, I could have been his father and that was a landmark moment for me. I got the third place in absolute, even though I weighed 65 kilograms. I remember that I was on the same podium with Fabio Gurgel, Amaury Bitetti and Mario Sperry. Right after that, I was champion in Abu Dhabi, so 1997 was a very important year for me.

Sherdog: What about in MMA? Which fight impacted you the most?
Gracie: The fight against Kazushi Sakuraba. He was much heavier than I was and was also in the prime of his career, beating a lot of top guys. Actually, I didn’t go in presuming I’d beat him. I just wanted to know how he could beat me; that’s all I wanted to know. I was the sniper. I thought if he made some mistakes, I would catch him. He had the right game plan; he avoided the ground. I have no doubt that he was clearly superior in both the first and second rounds, but I never ran from the fight. He wanted to fight standing up, and I stood up and fought with him, but what affected me was the referee’s attitude of stopping the fight. In the contract, they said unless there was a knockout or submission, the fight would be declared draw, but the Japanese fans wanted to see him fight against Rickson Gracie. Nobody knows how our fight would have ended, if he would have broken my arm, if I would have tapped or if it would have finished in a draw.

Sherdog: Your fans can see you fighting again. Is there any possibility of it happening?
Gracie: I don’t know; I’m not worried about that. In jiu-jitsu, I’m more focused on being a coach. I’m not planning to compete anymore, unless there is a good proposal in ADCC. As far as MMA goes, I would like to have a retirement fight. My last fight against Hideo Tokoro was very nice, but, unfortunately, the referees judged him the winner. I thought it was a really even fight. If it had been in Brazil, I probably would have won, but since it happened in Japan, I can’t complain.

Sherdog: Have you put together a video in which you teach your best techniques?
Gracie: That’s true, and I’m very happy with the result. In this video, I teach some important techniques that I used in competitions. The video shows the fights, and after each one, I teach exactly the same position in a studio.

Sherdog: What’s the secret to your staying young?
Gracie: I keep following the Gracie diet. Even when I travel, I try to eat fruits and keep doing the right things. The secret to everything is what my father used to say: “If you put old gasoline in your car, it will break down.” The human body is just like a car. My father always said, “You are what you eat.”

Sherdog: How do you feel about the recognition of the Gracie name in the US?
Gracie: In Brazil, everybody knows me, but here in America, I have to say I’m impressed by how many times people stop me on the street. Even though my face is not shown anywhere on TV or the Internet, when it appears in MMA or jiu-jitsu magazines, I’m really impressed by that. I think when people recognize me it’s because of the years of hard work from my dad, my uncle, my brothers and all the practitioners of jiu-jitsu.

Sherdog: How do you view the importance of your father and uncle in the history of MMA?
Gracie: Without them, we wouldn’t be here in China doing an interview. The world wouldn’t be practicing jiu-jitsu and MMA. We have to thank that skinny man who must be over there looking down on us, the great master Helio Gracie and his brother, Carlos. They planted the seeds that we are all reaping nowadays.

Feb 7, 2006
G4 SAYS THERE'S ROOM FOR TWO MMA VIDEO GAMES

In the modern sports lexicon, it’s become just as important for a sport to have success not only on its own field of play, but in the mass media as well.

Fueled by fans who want to step into the shoes of their favorite athletes and live their own sports fantasies, the video game industry has seen its importance to sports grow at an exponential rate.

None has this shown more clearly than this past May, when publisher THQ released UFC 2009: Undisputed, a game that went on to become the best selling game for the month of its release.

MMAWeekly.com caught up with Blair Herter, chief correspondent for the G4 television network’s X-Play series to discuss the success of UFC 2009: Undisputed, as well as the recent announcement that video game giant Electronic Arts is going to step into the cage with its own release.

“To be honest with you, I would say that’s a really solid game,” said Herter of UFC 2009: Undisputed. “Obviously, there are certain holes in it, but basically when you’re building a game engine and a new game itself, there’s going to be certain things you wish to improve on or have done better.

“As a whole, what THQ tried to do – creating an accessible game for all fans – I think they did a really good job in that.”

For the most part, critics and fans alike have echoed Herter’s sentiments of THQ’s effort; over 1,000,000 copies of the game sold in May alone.

“I’m excited that people get behind this sort of thing,” stated Herter. “I think it just speaks volumes for about how large this sport really is. The fact that they moved so many copies without selling them at events is just phenomenal.

“Because it sold so well, I think there’s going to be more money dedicated to this game, and it will only drive the game further in development and only be a better game (next time around) because of it.”

Like in other forms of media, if something is successful then it’s inevitable that others will want to get in on the act. Thus shortly after the release of Undisputed, Electronic Arts decided it should enter the fray with the announcement of its EA Sports: MMA game.

Herter responded to the announcement of EA getting involved in the MMA video game market by saying, “I think EA definitely has the money to put behind it, and are going to make a great game out if it, because there’s already a great game out there (by THQ).

“Because they don’t have the UFC license it is going to make it that much more difficult to them to market it, so they’re going to have to put extra attention to market it and the development of it.”

With THQ locking up the UFC license for at least another couple games, EA will have to go after individual fighters to fill the roster of their game, raising the question of which game consumers will buy when the two go head-to-head.

“I think the real question here is, what do people care about,” inquired Herter. “Do people want to play an MMA or do people want to play a (UFC-branded) game with their favorite fighters?

“I think that’s what it is going to boil down to. Let’s say the THQ game was crap – which it isn’t – would you still play it just to play as Brock Lesnar? Or would you play a game that’s really good that maybe didn’t have the UFC stars? I think that’s the big question.”

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, Herter feels that winner between THQ and EA could very well come down to realism; but ultimately expects the margin between the two to be razor thin.

“I don’t think there will be that much of a gap between sales numbers, because what I think fans want is an accurate reaction of the sport,” he said. “They want to feel like they’re in the cage and they’re the ones fighting.

“As long as EA puts out a quality game, I don’t think there will be that much difference in sales numbers. I definitely feel there’s enough room for two really solid MMA games.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 100 fighter weighins slated for July 10 at Mandalay Bay Events Center

Fighter weighins for next week's UFC 100 event take place Friday, July 10, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The weighins, which are free and open to the public, are set for 3 to 5 p.m. PT (6 to 8 p.m. ET) with the first fighter on the scale at 4 p.m. PT.

The weighins are held on the eve of the highly anticipated UFC 100 card, which features two title fights and a bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 9" coaches, among other bouts.

The weighins follow a full day of activities at the UFC Fan Expo, a first-ever UFC fan festival also held at the Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino. Following Friday weigh-ins, UFC President Dana White delivers a keynote speech (5:30 p.m. PT) on the UFC Fan Expo main stage.

Prior to the weigh-ins, UFC Fight Club member are invited to a question-and-answer session with top UFC lightweight contender and UFC 101 headliner Kenny Florian. The session takes place from 2-3 p.m. PT and is open only to UFC Fight Club members.

The full lineup for UFC 100 includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)
* Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)
* Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
* Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson
* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
* Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
* Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
* C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
* Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
* T.J. Grant vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Feb 7, 2006
Mark Hominick vs. Deividas Taurosevicius set for "Affliction: Trilogy" preliminary card

A featherweight bout between former UFC and WEC fighter Mark Hominick (16-8) and IFL veteran Deividas Taurosevicius (10-3) is slated for the "Affliction: Trilogy" fight card.

Multiple sources told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Affliction executives set the matchup, which was first reported by ESPN's "Between Rounds" radio program.

"Affliction: Trilogy" takes place Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and the Hominick vs. Taurosevicius bout is slated for the night's HDNet-televised preliminary card.

The event's main card, including a five-round heavyweight title fight between WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko and challenger Josh Barnett, airs on pay-per-view.

Hominick, an Xtreme Couture fighter, makes his second appearance for Affliction. He hasn't fought since the organization's first show, "Banned," when he defeated Savant Young with a second-round submission in July 2008. It was Hominick's third win in four fights, which included a couple of wins in the TKO organization in his home country of Canada.

Taurosevicius, meanwhile, makes his Affliction debut after also taking more than a year off from competition. The Lithuanian hasn't fought since a May 2008 decision loss to Ryan Schultz in the now-defunct IFL organization. The loss snapped his six-fight win streak, which included wins over notables such as Dan Lauzon, Zac George, Savant Young and Bart Palaszewski.

The latest "Affliction: Trilogy" card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett (for WAMMA heavyweight title)
* Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral
* Vitor Belfort vs. Jorge Santiago
* Paul Buentello vs. Gilbert Yvel

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Paul Daley vs. Jay Hieron
* Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
* Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley
* Mark Hominick vs. Deividas Taurosevicius
* Akbarh Arreola vs. TBA
* Lucio Linhares vs. Mikhail Zayats (will not be aired)
* Rob Broughton vs. Jessie Gibbs (will not be aired)

Feb 7, 2006
Indiana begins MMA regulation today

A bill that calls for the Indiana Athletic Commission (formerly the Indiana State Boxing Commission) to regulate mixed martial arts went into effect today.

The state is one of 39 in the U.S. that either regulates MMA or has passed legislation that will require regulation in the coming months.

Although Indiana has hosted numerous un-sanctioned MMA shows in recent years, official regulation opens the doors for organizations such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship to hit the potentially lucrative market of Indianapolis.

Indianapolis is Indiana's largest city (and the country's 14th largest) with approximately 800,000 residents. It also boasts the popular 19,000-seat Conseco Fieldhouse, an impressive and modern facility that opened in 1999 and now serves as home to the NBA's Indiana Pacers. (Indianapolis is also home to popular UFC veteran Chris Lytle.)

With the passage of Act 160, the Indiana Senate has tasked the Indiana Athletic Commission with regulation of not only professional MMA but also kickboxing and other "unarmed combat" sports.

In previous years, MMA events have been held in Indiana with no interference from the state's boxing commission. In essence, fighters competed with no drug testing and could bounce from the amateur and professional ranks and even compete multiple times in a short span with no overseeing body. Promoters could also skimp on medical personnel and other safety regulations at events.

The anything-goes environment is the primary reason major organizations such as the UFC never previously visited the state and why politicians eventually wised up and passed legislation to regulate the sport.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC headed to Memphis for UFC 107 in December, Evans vs. "Rampage" could headline

Former champions and current light-heavyweight contenders Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans, who serve as coaches on the upcoming 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," will fight in December at a currently unannounced event in Jackson's hometown of Memphis, Tenn.

That's according to a recent YouTube video interview with Jackson.

UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that a Memphis show will take place at the 19,000-seat FedExForum in "early December," but he declined to comment on the potential Evans vs. Jackson bout.

Based on the odd year-end schedule (with both the Christmas and New Year's holidays falling on Fridays), Memphis could be the UFC's year-end show. The event would likely take place on Dec. 12 or 19 (since The Ultimate Fighter 10 is already slated for Dec. 5).

Ratner said the traditional year-end blockbuster, UFC 108, might instead take place Jan. 2 in Las Vegas.

The UFC's upcoming trip to Tennessee won't be its first. The organization first ventured to Tennessee earlier this year for UFC Fight Night 18. The April 1 event took place at the Sommet Center with 10,267 attendees, a UFC Fight Night event series record.

Jackson (30-7 MMA, 5-1 UFC) recently passed up a title shot with current champ Lyoto Machida to coach opposite Evans on "TUF." He's won eight of his past nine fights, which includes fights with the now-defunct PRIDE organization, and most recently defeated Keith Jardine via unanimous decision at UFC 96 in March.

Like Jackson, Evans (13-1-1 MMA, UFC) is a former UFC light-heavyweight champion. In fact, he hasn't fought since he lost his title to Machida in May at UFC 98. It was the first career loss for the former "TUF 2" winner.

Feb 7, 2006
Frank Mir: It will be a short night for me if I’m cocky

“Anybody that size that gets behind a punch and sits down on it can catch me on the chin. If I’m cocky and put my hands down, obviously it will be a short night for me and I can go home and cry about it later. The fighter I was then compared to the fighter I am now is leaps and bounds. If he chooses to stand up, I’ll knock him out. If he chooses to take me down, I’ll submit him.”

Feb 7, 2006
The Issues of Referee and Judge Certification

‘Showdown’ Joe Ferraro has an excellent piece up at Rogers Sportsnet that details his experience with ‘Big’ John McCarthy’s referee certification seminar, C.O.M.M.A.N.D. (Certification of Officials for Mixed Martial Arts National Development).

The course is broken down into three areas and participants require a passing grade of 90 percent (at minimum in all three) to be certified. As it stands today, the course has a 75 percent failure rate, as participants simply do not make the grade to officiate or judge in MMA.

Would-be referees must know and identify over 25 takedowns, 35 submissions, 25 positions and seven sweeps, reversals and transitions. They also must know the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts inside and out.

After the identification of the aforementioned moves and keen knowledge of the unified rules, participants are also trained and tested on in ring / cage mechanics. This is comprised of what is required by an official before, during and after a bout. It’s not just about positioning (which is HUGE when refereeing) but dozens of other variables that are key to the safety of the athletes who put it all on the line.

All of this knowledge is paramount for one to be proficient in officiating and without it I do not understand how commissions around the world allow men and women to step into the cage/ring and ref without proving they have this type of knowledge.

If the four major sports leagues — the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL — mandate that officials are properly trained before being allowed to step onto the playing surface, why doesn’t MMA do the same? If this sport is expected to be taken seriously then this type of certification must be the bare minimum an athletic commission requires from an applicant prior to receiving their license to ref or judge.

Payout Opinion:

It would seem as though we’re finally starting to see the issues of officiating, judging, and bout scoring come to the front of the MMA hot topic list.

Just ask yourself: what good are the rules and regulations that MMA has put into place - those designed to protect the health and integrity of the sport and its fighters - if the individuals enforcing them are incompetent or unqualified?

Yes, the sport is growing - and that’s great for a lot of reasons - but the flip side of that growth is the increasing complexity of the issues surrounding governance, regulation, officiating, and judging.

MMA cannot afford to rest on its laurels; it must adapt to the many new challenges that it faces, including the issues of consistent officiating and judging.

And, believe me, as MMA ventures more and more into the mainstream, the quality of officiating and judging WILL become an issue. Look no further than the MMA competitions of the last week: the awful officiating displays at Strikeforce; the late stoppage in the Rizzo-Yvel fight; or the controversy of Tibau-Guillard, Guida-Sanchez, and Blackburn-Garcia.

While I’m not yet prepared to advocate that ‘Big’ John’s COMMAND is the answer - not that his course probably isn’t the best out there right now - I will say that a universal testing and certification program for both officials and judges is something of a no-brainer. It would afford the sport, its fighters, and its fans the consistency that they’ve all been longing for. It would also help to further cement the legitimacy of the sport in the eyes of its critics.

Feb 7, 2006
José Aldo Interview

With five knockouts in five fights in WEC’s octagon, José Aldo is close to the featherweight belt. Eyeing Mike Brown, the champion, the Nova União fighter spoke with TATAME.com and said that he hopes that his next challenge is for the belt. "We’re waiting for the belt all the time... I made five fights there and won all of them well, so I think I’ll have the opportunity. If they give me, I’ll train very hard and focused for the fight", revealed Aldo, who commented the possibility of facing Miguel Torres, the WEC bantamweight champion, and the success that he’s doing at the American event with his team mate Wagnney Fabiano.

Do you already know when you return to WEC?
I think I’ll return in September or October... It’s in Dedé's (André Pederneiras) hand, he’s the manager, he decides everything and signs my fight, then I’ll train to go inside one more time there. I’m just training a light Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, only waiting to return to the octagon.

Do you think that you’ll fight for the belt or will do one more fight before that?
We’re waiting for the belt all the time... I made five fights there and won all of them well, so I think I'll have the opportunity. If they give me, I’ll train very hard and focused for the fight.

Your last knockout was a beautiful knee. Do you train this too much?
Yes, I train... I already won by knockout like that last year, at Shooto Brazil, and I’m able to use that in my fights. When we face a Wrestler we always wait for this, when he tries a takedown…

Beyond the knockout of the night bonus, what did the guys from WEC and the fans said about your victory?
The fans are excited... Every fight that I do there, we’re gaining more and more fans. I like it a lot! The guys love my aggressive style, we get there and try to do the best for the public.

I heard that you could drop weight to fight against Miguel Torres. Did you receive this proposal? Is it of your interest?
In the past he came here and said that we had no 60kg fighter to fight with him, and I fought in that category in the past and, if I could, I would fight him. But, now, I prefer to take the belt of my category, earn it, and then yes (I’d fight him). If I’m well and with the belt, I’d go fight with him.

So facing him is a personal desire? How do you think the fight would be?
Sure. Not only mine, but his too. He already said he wanted to fight with me... I have nothing against him, but I think it would be a good fight. I would look for the standing fight and, if it goes to the ground, I would show my Jiu-Jitsu. He has a good Jiu-Jitsu too, but I guarantee myself in mine.

And the fight against Mike Brown?
It’s just talk with Dedé and creates a strategy, but I won’t run away from my features, I try to always practice the standing part, the takedowns, defense, and also the ground game, where I come from. I’ll get there well focused and with the right tactic, standing or on the ground.

The Nova União wants to dominate this category, with you and Wagnney?
For sure, we’re getting there slowly... I got there first, then Wagnney and, both of us, who fights for the belt, will dominate the category. Who wins this belt, will dominate for a long time. If he disputes the belt before me, I don’t mind, I'm his fan. He saw me grow up in the gym, he deserves to fight the belt and I'll help him.

Feb 7, 2006
News! K-1 Founder Kazuyoshi Ishii Speaks

Powerful K-1 founder Ishii held a fan event in Shibuya in Tokyo today. He said that he doesn’t have any intentions to become K-1 producer again. Instead, he will put all his power into a new amateur organization called International K-1 Federation (FIKA). He wants to especially advance into Europe. He says that there are a lot of strong fighters in Greece. He wants to hold K-1 events in Europe from now on in order to have it erupt there.

He also talked about the K-1 World Cup which there has been talks about for some years now. He said that they will be able to have 32 countries for their first one, compared to 7 which soccer/football had in its first World Cup (he means that the first K-1 World Cup will be at a larger scale than the first football world cup, which is now the biggest). This is also part of FIKA.

Finishing with MMA, he said that with organization DREAM and organization SENGOKU, an UFC opposition cannot be made. He said that he is currently in talks about them doing MMA together. He said that when considering the fans, doing MMA together is better.

Feb 7, 2006
Two Legends Appeal For 2016 Olympics In Tokyo

Judo legends and Barcelona Olympic gold medalists Hidehiko Yoshida and Toshihiko Koga were present at a movement event for the 2016 Olympics being held in Tokyo today. Regarding SENGOKU, Yoshida said that a participation on August 2nd is still possible.

Feb 7, 2006
Shane Carwin vs. Cain Velasquez in works for UFC 104 in Los Angeles on Oct. 24

A heavyweight contest between top undefeated prospects Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (6-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is currently in the works for UFC 104.

If finalized, the bout would likely feature on the main card of the Oct. 24 pay-per-view event, which will take place at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Sources close to the bout, which was first reported by MMAMadness.com, have confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Carwin has verbally accepted the contest, while Velasquez is expected to follow suit.

Carwin also confirmed his participation in the contest with a post on his Twitter account.

"Looks like I'll be fighting Oct. 24 in Los Angeles," Carwin stated. "Excited to know."

Jason Genet, Carwin's manager, pointed MMAjunkie.com to his client's Twitter message when asked about the fight. While unable to confirm the status of the fight, he said a potential matchup with Velasquez is just the type of opportunity they want.

"For Team Carwin, we want to fight whoever it takes to fight for that belt," Genet said. "Cain, whoever – we are excited to be getting an opportunity. Shane is ready to continue the climb to the top of the division."

The potential contest between the highly regarded heavyweights would likely determine the division's No. 1 contender, though the winner of the UFC 102 between MMA legends Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrgio Nogueira may also figure prominently in the immediate title picture.

Carwin, who has never fought beyond the first round in his near-four-year career, has needed just three minutes and 24 seconds to dispatch of Gabriel Gonzaga, Neil Wain and Christian Wellisch in his three fights for the UFC.

The Gonzaga contest, which took place in March, was Carwin's most recent appearance in the octagon.

Velasquez last fought in June, earning a unanimous decision over Cheick Kongo at UFC 99 in Germany. The win was Velasquez's fourth straight in the octagon, a streak that also includes wins over Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien and Brad Morris.

Feb 7, 2006
L.C. Davis vs. Javier Vazquez set for HDNet portion of "Affliction: Trilogy" on Aug. 1

Featherweight veteran Javier Vazquez (13-2) won't wait long to return to action after the recent "Ultimate Chaos" debacle, as the Millenia Jiu-Jitsu fighter will face L.C. Davis (13-2) at "Affliction: Trilogy."

Vazquez first discussed the bout today on the Sherdog Radio Network, and sources close to the event have indicated that bout agreements for the contest have been distributed and are expected to be finalized shortly.

The bout is expected to take place on the HDNet-televised preliminary portion of the Aug. 1 event, which will take place at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Vazquez today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he was hoping to meet Din Thomas, his original opponent at this past weekend's "Ultimate Chaos" event in Biloxi, Miss., but settled for the bout with Davis.

"I was hoping it would be Din, but it didn't work out," Vazquez said.

As for Thomas, despite sharing the same 13-2 mark, Vazquez believes he's the better fighter.

"I think he's well-rounded, but I don't think he's better than me at any one aspect of the game," Vazquez said. "I've been doing it a lot longer. Maybe in two or three years, but I don't think it's his time."

Vazquez defeated Mark Kergosien, a last-second replacement for Thomas, in just 19 seconds at this past Saturday's event. The win was his fourth-consecutive win, and his first bout after an 18-month layoff from competition.

An Affliction, Sengoku and IFL veteran Davis last fought in a March unanimous-decision loss to Michihiro Omigawa in Japan. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for Davis.

Feb 7, 2006
TITO ORTIZ CLOSE WITH STRIKEFORCE, WANTS FEDOR

One time UFC poster boy Tito Ortiz hasn't fought in more than a year. And it's been nearly three years since he last won a fight.

Plagued by back problems for several years, his last bout was a loss to current UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. Prior to that, a draw with former UFC champion Rashad Evans and a loss to another former UFC champion in Chuck Liddell.

But following back surgery in October of 2008, Ortiz has recently been cleared to train full speed ahead.

"My doctor just released me. I feel great. My cardio is great. I'm excited to get back in there. I'm 100-percent, no more pain running down my back."

In a seemingly revolving door of endless negotiations, the former UFC champion sounds as if he is nearing the time when he will set foot back in the cage, once again ready to compete.

"I'm in negotiations right now with Strikeforce and working with CBS and Showtime, so all three of us are going back and forth to make a contract that makes sense to me," he told MMAWeekly.com recently.

"Hopefully by October I'll be competing. We're finishing the contract I'd say with CBS, Showtime, and Strikeforce and making a deal that UFC can't match."

If that deal does come to fruition, Ortiz says he's ready and has his near future already mapped out.

"I feel sorry for the person they have me fight, but I do need one warm-up fight," he said. "I managed to come off a huge back surgery. It's been a year since I've competed. I think one warm-up fight to get things going."

But after that, it's full speed ahead, and truly so if the fight he mentions does end up taking place.

"After that, I don't want no more warm-up fights. I'm hoping by my fourth fight, possibly fight Fedor Emelianenko at a catchweight. That'd be something that I'm looking forward to possibly by the middle of next year."