MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: ‘Dont call it a comeback’ for Kevin Randleman … it’s a rebirth

“LL Cool J has a great song: ‘Don’t call it a comeback. I’ve been here for years.’ Don’t call it a comeback. I don’t think of it as a comeback. I look at it like I needed to go back to school and learn a lot more. I’m just going to give it my all Saturday night. I don’t anticipate anybody at 205 being able to knock me out or take me out. Think of it as the ‘Rebirth of the Monster.’ But I’m not a monster anymore. I’m not running around in the streets like a crazy man. I just want to fight. I just want to be the guy I always was but was too scared to be. The best thing that ever happened to me was the UFC firing me because I was just too crazy and too out of control. There has always been so much chaos in my life that now that it’s calm I feel nervous. But not because I’m fighting Mike Whitehead or whoever on June 6. I’m not nervous because I’m angry. I’m nervous because I know for one year I’ve trained for this fight. I’ve been training because I knew I had to be ready to fight once I got that contract. And my last three fights I’ve gotten better and better and better. Right now I feel like I’m in the sewers. People don’t know my name and that’s exactly what I like. I’m not fighting again for the fame. I’m fighting for the money and for the wins. And I know that the wins will take care of the money.”

Feb 7, 2006
Ishiwatari Crushed! SENGOKU Fighters Make Weight For Pancrase

The main event of today’s Shooto card in Tokyo was a fight which could have been a competitive brawl on the feet. Instead, Rumina Sato pupil Daiki Tsuchiya won by TKO at the short time of 0:20 in the first round. A short right hook counter by Tsuchiya brought down SENGOKU Featherweight GP participant Shintaro Ishiwatari. Tsuchiya then quickly followed and punched Ishiwatari from top until the referee intervened, giving Tsuchiya his biggest win to date.

From one legendary promotion to another. The participants of tomorrows Pancrase event made weight at the Gold’s Gym in Tokyo today. As many as six SENGOKU fighters will participate on the card. Satoru Kitaoka weighed in at 70.2 kg for his main event fight against Dynamite!! 2008 participant Yukio Sakaguchi. It seems that the weight cuts to Lightweight are still tough for Kitaoka, despite having done them a few times since entering SENGOKU. Yukiya Naito weighed in at 91.5 kg for his Light Heavyweight fight against Ryo Kawamura, who was 92.9 kg.

Kei Yamamiya, who weighed in at 83.4 kg, will not have a long rest following his loss to Xande Ribeiro at SENGOKU VIII as he returns to the ring tomorrow when he takes on Ryuji Ohori. It looks like Korean Wrestler Choi Mu Bae has lost some weight as he weighed in at 112.6 kg, almost 6 kg less than when he defeated Dave Herman at SENGOKU NO RAN 2009. Choi’s opponent will be long-time veteran Katsuhisa Fujii. SENGOKU Featherweight GP participant Seiya Kawahara has gone back down to his original weightclass. At today’s weigh-in he came in 0.1 kg over but passed in his second weigh-in, where the scale showed 61.1 kg.

Feb 7, 2006
JOE RIGGS BREAKS BOTH HANDS; STILL WANTS SHIELDS

In his dominating performance against Phil Baroni at Saturday night's Strikeforce event, Joe Riggs wasn't around to celebrate afterwards. He was off to the hospital with two broken hands.

You'd never have known it from the way he fought at the Scottrade Center, putting on a striking clinic against Baroni en route to a unanimous decision victory.

"Yeah, I broke both my hands again," he told interview Gus Johnson afterwards. But said he continued on because, "I got a family to support. I got a wife and a baby, I gotta work hard."

Even with two broken hands, Riggs was already pushing for another opponent, the man he was originally supposed to have fought on Saturday night.

"I want Jake Shields. I don't want to be disrespectful to him any more; he's a tough fighter. But yeah, I'd like to fight Jake Shields."

Later that night, Strikeforce officials confirmed Riggs' broken hands and said that he was taken to the hospital for treatment. They said that both Andrei Arlovski and Scott Smith were also taken to the hospital to get checked out.

Arlovski was knocked out in spectacular fashion by Brett Rogers. Smith was picked apart over two-plus rounds by Nick Diaz, receiving hundreds of punches and several hard knees.

Feb 7, 2006
Brett Rogers vs Alistair Overeem possible for August 15 Strikeforce event in San Jose, California

Strikeforce Executive Mike Afromowitz confirmed to MMAmania.com yesterday that surging heavyweight sensation Brett Rogers will likely meet current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem in a title fight on the upcoming August 15 event in San Jose, California.

“It’s definitely a possibility,” Afromowitz said after Saturday’s press conference. “I know Brett said he is ready. We will see how he is feeling next week and go from there. Overeem is locked in for the August 15 fight card.”

“The Grimm” is coming off a devastating knockout win over former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski at the June 6 ‘Lawler vs. Shields’ event from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Rogers was a +300 underdog heading into the fight but needed just 0:22 seconds to put “The Pitbull” to sleep — the second time for Arlovski in as many fights.

As the post fight press conference, Rogers spoke out about his future within the promotion. “I was kind of aiming for (Overeem)…I was expecting the title today so he is still in my sights.”

Rogers, now 10-0, looks poised to capitalize on his new found stature. “This sport is all about timing,” he said. “This fight took me to the next level and now is definitely my time. Everyone saw tonight that I am not one to play with.”

A potential title fight against “Demolition Man” could end up playing second fiddle to the long-anticipated “Carano vs. Cyborg” superfight. Also on the August 15 fight card, Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh “The Punk” Thomson and interim champion Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez will finally rematch to unify the 155-pound strap.

Feb 7, 2006
Kitaoka Adds to Foot Collection

TOKYO -- Sengoku lightweight champion Satoru Kitaoka took yet another foot for his growing collection Sunday in the main event of Pancrase Changing 3 at Differ Ariake.

Kitaoka tried to intimidate opponent Yukio Sakaguchi with a wide-mouthed, vacant stare during the staredown. As soon as the bell rang, however, the Sengoku champ shot for successive single- and double-leg takedowns while Sakaguchi scrambled to stay upright. After abandoning the guillotine to shoot for another successful double, Kitaoka fell back for the Achilles lock on Sakaguchi’s right leg, arching backward as his opponent kicked at him with his free foot. Kitaoka’s monstrous upper body strength had Sakaguchi tapping at the 1:26 mark of the first round.

“I’ve mastered submissions in short pants,” exclaimed Kitaoka to a delighted audience, drawing attention to his green shorts -- a departure from his typical long spats.

“Luckily, I’m able to come home as a champion. I’ll win my next bout and will return again, so please support me in Sengoku.”

In the semi-main event, Mitsuhisa Sunabe bashed Takuya Eizumi to become Pancrase's first flyweight king of Pancrase. The Okinawan import was game from the opening bell, clipping Eizumi with a swift right hook before shooting in to lift Eizumi onto his shoulders and slam him in his corner. After a standup, Eizumi attempted to bang Sunabe out on the feet, but Sunabe raised his hands, taunting Eizumi before landing a swift left hook that knocked him out at 4:35 of round one.

“I’ve longed for a belt for 16 years, so I’m very happy for today’s bout,” said an emotional Sunabe before vowing to defeat a challenge made by Isao Hirose earlier that evening.

UFC vet Koji Oishi and Hyoung Kwang Kim fought to a narrow majority decision for Oishi. Kim was game, marking Oishi up with blistering hooks on the feet and from the bottom of guard, but Oishi's numerous takedowns and ground control won him the bout on judges Matsumiya and Oyabu's cards, 20-19. Only judge Wada recognized Kim's tenacity from bottom as being equal to Oishi's control on top, judging the fight a 20-20 draw.

Takenori Sato survived Hoon Kim's best shots on the feet to take the fight to the floor, where he eventually tapped Kim with an armbar at 4:26 of the first round.

Sengoku and Pride veteran Mu Bae Choi took a unanimous decision (20-19 twice, 20-18) over Katsuhisa Fujii in a slower-paced heavyweight bout.

Okinawan import Tatsuya So was tenacious and tough in hanging two rounds against Sengoku featherweight tournament veteran Seiya Kawahara. Kawahara stuck to the center, marking up So with punches and stuffing his takedown attempts en route to winning a decision (20-19 on all three cards).

Keiichiro Yamamiya delighted the crowd twice. First he entered dressed as the legendary Japanese pro-wrestler the Great Muta, and then he followed up with a spectacular knockout of Ryuji Ohori with a right hook at 1:01 of the first round.

Despite being rocked early by a right hand from Takashi Nakamura, Isao Hirose controlled the rest of his flyweight bout to win a unanimous decision (20-18, 20-19 twice).

Tashiro Nishiuchi took a close majority decision (20-19 twice, 20-20) over Takumi Murata by controlling the pace of the bout.

Kosei Kubota and Shingo Suzuki beat each other bloody for two rounds, earning a unanimous draw (20-20 twice, 19-19).

Kicking off the evening, Sengoku veterans and former Muhammed Lawal victims Ryo Kawamura and Yukiya Naito fought a three-round war. Kawamura engaged Naito with multi-level boxing, hitting to the body before taking swings at his head. Naito also tried to mix it up standing, but instead used clinches to deliver knees and dirty boxing. Naito tired by the third period, giving way for Kawamura to score better shots to close out the decision (30-29 twice, 29-28).

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Plans Three More Cards for St Louis/Mizzou

Last night’s Strikeforce card from St Louis did good numbers crowd-wise, and the card looks to be part of a longer term targeting of the city by Strikeforce to make the area a stronghold for their product:

A close-to-capacity crowd of 8,867 — only seats in the lower bowl were sold — turned out at Scottrade Center for the city’s first major MMA card, headlined by a fight between Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields, and, based on the crowd, it won’t be the last.

Strikeforce, which put on Saturday’s show, is already committed to another major card here along with two smaller ones, which may or may not be held at Scottrade. With prominent fighter Matt Hughes training in Granite City, there’s a chance he could bring a UFC card here. Suffice to say, you haven’t seen the last of MMA around here.

Robbie Lawler is training in the area with the Hughes Intesive Training group, so he is something of a pull for locals but may not be the long term answer, as he has made many intimations of being open to a return to the UFC. If Strikeforce ends up signing someone like NCAA wrestling legend and University of Missouri product Ben Askren, that would go a long way to putting down roots in the the area long term. Askren is just starting on his road in the MMA game but he would be a nice hook to use to garner local media attention and fan support. Local products stocked the undercard, which is always good for the box office, but none have the mass appeal or name value of an Askren.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC Eyeing Sacramento As Anchor City

Much like the UFC has done with Columbus, Ohio, the WEC is looking to make Sacramento an anchor city on their regular touring schedule. WEC General Manager Reed Harris spoke with The Sac Bee and stated what could be in the cards for California’s capital city:

WEC and arena staff anticipate more than 12,000 fans in attendance today, a similar turnout to the 12,682 fans at Faber’s last fight in Sacramento. Faber defeated veteran Jens Pulver last June at Arco.

The WEC’s back-to-back June visits aren’t a coincidence, said Reed Harris, WEC general manager.

“I think we will do an annual trip here,” Harris said. “I would actually like to come more than once a year.”

The WEC, formed in 2001, typically averages around 6,000 fans at other venues, with Sacramento setting the record for attendance.

Faber’s popularity in the area as well as his growing stable of fighters that train with his camp could make for a continuing strong regional draw. Joseph Benavides is another WEC fighter in the Faber’s camp who is making waves and could be used as a focus as a strong semi-main guy on the cards. Faber’s Team Alpha Male club would also be a a source to draw from to generate local interest. The WEC’s success in Sacramento is the centerpiece of a larger strategy by the WEC.

The WEC has been very proactive about making the WEC a road show. After a prolonged period of holding shows in Vegas after the Zuffa takeover, they have increasingly looked to spread their wings and hit the road. Economics have surely played a role in this trend. Vegas shows at the Hard Rock generally do in the $100,000 gate range, give or take. The last card in Sacramento did over $700,000 at the gate. Other forays have been profitable with San Diego doing near $500k, Corpus Christi doing $300k, Hollywood FL doing $550k. The costs of doing the road shows are higher but the larger gates make for a better chance at making the ends meet. Without PPV monies rolling in just yet for the WEC and with license fees from Versus being modest, the gate numbers play a much bigger role in things than with the larger UFC.

The WEC road strategy can also be valuable to Zuffa in one respect, being something of a canary in a coal mine to test the viability of certain markets. There is also the possibility of using the WEC to get in and make a profitable payday for the organization before bringing the larger UFC in. If and when New York legalizes MMA, I would capitalize on the pent up demand by putting on WEC cards in places like Buffalo or Albany before doing the big show that everyone sees the UFC doing from MSG in NYC.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC 41 win earns Donald Cerrone fall rematch with lightweight champ Jamie Varner

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - WEC lightweight Donald Cerrone (10-1 MMA, 3-1 WEC) will get a second shot at current champion Jamie Varner (16-2 MMA, 4-0 WEC) some time this fall.

While Cerrone has made no attempt to hide his desire for the rematch, WEC general manager Reed Harris announced following Sunday's WEC 41 event that Varner had also agreed to the contest.

"I spoke to Mr. Varner tonight, and he's ready to go," Harris said. "He's going to take the fight."

Varner has been inactive since the pair first met in January. The bout ended slightly less than two minutes before the official end of the contest when Cerrone landed an illegal knee.

Though many MMA observers questioned the power of the knee and whether it should have been enough to halt the contest, Varner could not continue and was awarded a technical decision based on the existing scores two minutes prior to the scheduled finish.

Harris told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he originally approached Varner during Sunday's WEC 41 event out of concern for the status of the multiple injuries he sustained in the January contest. The champion made it clear he was ready to revisit his bout with "Cowboy."

"I just talked to Jamie tonight, and really my discussion with him was more out of concern than really setting up the fight," Harris said. "I wanted to see how the hand was doing. He said, 'My hand is almost 100 percent. A couple of weeks and I'll be back in the gym. I want to fight Cerrone if he wins.'"

Cerrone did win his WEC 41 bout with James Krause via first-round submission, and now Harris said the rematch both fighters want will happen in the fall.

The WEC's next scheduled event is WEC 42 on Aug. 9 in Las Vegas and is headlined by a bantamweight contest between current champion Miguel Torres and challenger Brian Bowles. Harris said the August date would be too soon for Varner's return but that the champ would compete on one of three additional cards the organization has tentatively planned for the remainder of this year.

Feb 7, 2006
MMAjunkie.com Fight Biz: On cusp of historic show, what's in store for UFC's next 100?

UFC 100 – it is a milestone few thought possible when the organization was fighting for its survival in the mid-1990s.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship was deemed too heinous for even pay-per-view and on its way to becoming but a footnote in American sports.

"I knew they were going to shut it down," said Guy Mezger, one of the early "ultimate fighters," who competed at UFC 4 and 5. "The reason that I fought in UFC 4 in the first place, I wanted to see how I would do in such a challenge because I thought they were going to shut this down, with it being a no-rules contest. And, we were right. The original Semaphore Entertainment Group held on for as long as they could, but they weren't willing to change with the times and the flow of, let's say, the politics, and they became nonexistent and Zuffa took over."

It's largely because of the change in ownership that the UFC will celebrate a seminal moment in its history on July 11 in Las Vegas with its 100th show. With the "UFC Fight Night" series added to the count, the promotion topped the century mark some time ago, but that's beside the point. UFC 100 takes on special significance because of what the organization – and the sport – has endured to get here.

"The sport had to shake its old renegade image, back in the head-butts and groin-shot days," Showtime MMA analyst Stephen Quadros, who served as a judge at UFC 8, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It had to clean itself up, but I've always believed in the athletes and the sport. It's already rivaling primetime sports like NASCAR and the NBA, and people know what mixed martial arts are today and what the UFC is."

It took 16 years to get to this point, and with the pace the UFC now schedules major shows, UFC 200 will arrive on a much faster timeline. So what will the UFC look like then, nine to 10 years from now? Will the promotion and MMA truly be mainstream, as much a part of the American sports lexicon as the NFL, college football or the NBA finals?

For all its strides thus far, MMA isn't there yet.

"It's not mainstream," Mezger said. "We get a lot of attention, it gets a lot of hype, but I don't think we're mainstream, mainly because you don't see GSP (Georges St. Pierre) with the multimillion dollar Nike contract, the Gatorade contract and selling Cadillacs."

The UFC's lack of a network TV deal is one of the main reasons that MMA still sits on the sporting fringe in the U.S. For hordes of casual fans, the UFC is MMA. The organization has the most recognized fighters, the biggest marketing budget and the promotional edge over its rivals. Most casual fans can't even spell Sengoku, much less articulate what it is. The UFC has a significant advantage over all competing promotions, enabling the UFC to draw more new fans to MMA than even EliteXC could with its breakthrough exposure on CBS. However, until the UFC establishes a consistent presence on national network TV, its growth will be tempered.

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying that the UFC will be bigger than the NFL. It's easy to dismiss the remark as hyperbole, but he says it with such conviction that, as a fan, you want to believe him. Realistically, that's unlikely to happen in the next 10 years, but taking a run at that popularity starts with regular primetime network fights. Once established, Quadros believes White's vision isn't so farfetched.

"The UFC has seen such unbelievable heights, I think it is possible that the UFC will be as big as American football," he said. "I have no idea when that might happen, but the UFC has really helped the sport – whether that be by design or inadvertently. Whether it be the UFC or the sport of MMA, I think it will rival, if not surpass, NFL football."

Aside from network TV exposure, the key to taking the UFC to the next level is a fighter who can transcend the sport. While Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture and St. Pierre have had a taste of commercial success beyond the cage, none has become iconic outside of MMA. The UFC needs an athlete with a larger-than-life persona who is as comfortable in front of a microphone as he is knocking opponents out, and who appeals to a broad swath of society.

"It's a battle of attrition. I think that with attrition comes the evolution that will produce a true superstar," Quadros said. "We've seen some people come up, all the way back to Frank Shamrock and now up to GSP, but we haven't seen someone that has hit along the same lines of a Muhammad Ali in MMA. That's what needs to happen. Eventually, that's going to happen."

Prior to Ali, boxing was popular in this country as far back as the early 1900s. But, it was Ali who took boxing and punched it – and hyped it – on to the front page of pop culture like no other fighter before him.

"If you look at the history of boxing, there were fighters who were popular – Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis … these guys were popular, but then Muhammad Ali came along," said Quadros. "People can say now that Ali was a star from the beginning, but if you go back to the era, he wasn't the magnificent Muhammad Ali from the very beginning. This took a lot of time. Just like MMA's battle for legitimacy, these things do take time."

The current roster of UFC fighters is long on talent, but short on charisma. Champions Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida are uniquely gifted in the octagon but hardly paparazzi fodder out. B.J. Penn has mastered the art of turning himself into a singular fighter brand, with a slew of endorsements, but he has as many detractors as fans. St. Pierre is wildly popular in Canada and has a strong following in the U.S., but that hasn't translated into commercial appeal. That leaves heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar, already the promotion's top PPV draw, as the UFC's best hope to court more casual fans and become a breakout star.

"Brock Lesnar by knocking out Randy Couture and basically doing well with a handful of fights has proven that he's not just another guy from pro wrestling," Quadros said. "He's a huge step because he's American all the way. He's a big monster. I think he's good for the sport, he's well spoken, he's intelligent, and talk about a student of the game. This guy improves more in one fight than most guys do in 10 fights. You can see it happening."

Lesnar is positioned to be a fixture on the road to UFC 200. Along the way, the UFC will eventually get a network TV deal done, become even more global than it is today, expanding further to South America and additional European countries, and possibly even creating its own cable TV channel as another means of programming distribution.

The promotion's biggest challenge will be the very product itself – the fighters. MMA has operated outside the governance of the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act, which provides certain protections for boxers due to the lack of leagues to enforce business practices in the sport. The act specifically references boxing only, not MMA. However, Congress could intervene to expand the act to include MMA, which could question the legality of UFC's fighter contracts.

However, even in the face of that type of challenge, Mezger doesn't see a day in the foreseeable future when the UFC's status as MMA's dominant promotion is threatened.

"They are the 800-pound gorilla," he said. "Ten years from now, they'll still be the 800-pound gorilla. It's going to take the rules changing for the UFC to work with organizations. But regardless, they are still going to be the top dog. They're the first ones, the strongest ones. They will be the top dog probably forever, as long as they want to be."

Feb 7, 2006
WEC General Manager Reed Harris: Eight shows targeted for 2009, 10 likely for 2010

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Following Sunday's successful WEC 41 event at ARCO Arena, a highly promoted event that set promotional records with 13,027 attendees and a $818,000 gate, WEC General Manager Reed Harris said the organization will host a total of eight shows this year.

With four shows already in the books and WEC 42 slated for Aug. 9, that means we're likely to get three shows between September and December of this year.

In 2010, though, Harris anticipates the WEC bumping the number of annual shows to 10, and a debut in Mexico could be part of the schedule.

The WEC, founded in 2001, has never promoted more than seven annual shows (2006 and 2007), and six were held in 2008. Zuffa LLC, the UFC's parent company, bought the promotion in December 2006 and hosted its first WEC show in February 2007.

With the organization's prior ownership, which included Harris (a co-founder), the WEC hosted most of its shows in Lemoore, Calif. Zuffa moved the organization to Las Vegas and kept most of its shows there until a national expansion began with a trip to New Mexico in early 2008.

Recent stops have included California, Texas, Floria and Illinois, and an international expansion could be right around the corner.

"I'd love to do a show in Mexico City," Harris said after WEC 41. "We get huge support in Mexico City. We're on television down there, and our ratings are through the roof. They are surprising us. I think we're getting there, and I think that's a real future for us.

"We're looking to do a show in Mexico some time, maybe next year. We're working hard on that. We have the best Hispanic lightweight fighters in the world, by far, of any organization."

The WEC will also test new markets in the U.S. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this year, Ohio, which regulates more MMA events than any other U.S. state, is under consideration.

Harris said that, ultimately, the total number of events the promotion hosts in 2010 depends on its television partner.

"We want to do as many shows as we can with the consistency and quality that we're committed to present," he said. "We're going to do eight shows this year. Maybe we'll try to do 10 next year or something depending on how Versus wants to treat us and etc."

Feb 7, 2006
Leonardo Santos and the future at Sengoku

After five consecutive victories in Brazil, being the last four in the first round, Leonardo Santos returned to the Japanese MMA, where he made his debut in the professional rings. Facing Kazunori Yokota, the Brazilian made the fight that would determine the next candidate for the belt of the event, against the champion Satoru Kitaoka. In 15 minutes of fight, the black belt of the Nova União ended defeated in the split decision, but disagrees with the result.

"The fight was very tight, but I didn’t give all that I trained. I was well trained, confident and happy, but I think I felt the time zone, I was a little sleepy. In my opinion, of other reporters and even Kitaoka, I won the fight", says Léo, recalling the fight. "The fight was very tight. I won the second round, I was more aggressive. I dominated the four minutes of fight, passed, got the back, but, remaining 30 seconds, he left the position and turn in front of me. He came like a crazy trying to beat me, but nothing that hit me, just showing aggressiveness in this 30 seconds, which impressed the judges".

Even winning the fight that would determine the next challenger to the title, Yokota wasn’t scheduled to face the champion, who will defend, on August 2, the title against Mizuta Hirota. "We sent a letter to there complaining, because whoever won the fight would fight for the belt, but they didn’t put Yokota to fight with Kitaoka, so I'm waiting to see what happens", said the black belt in the expectation for the definition of his future in Sengoku. "I have more fights in the contract, but we have to wait. I have a contract of one year with them. We didn’t ask for a rematch, we only said that we don’t agree with the result. We’ll let on their hands to see what will be done", concluded the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Leonardo Santos and the future at Sengoku

After five consecutive victories in Brazil, being the last four in the first round, Leonardo Santos returned to the Japanese MMA, where he made his debut in the professional rings. Facing Kazunori Yokota, the Brazilian made the fight that would determine the next candidate for the belt of the event, against the champion Satoru Kitaoka. In 15 minutes of fight, the black belt of the Nova União ended defeated in the split decision, but disagrees with the result.

"The fight was very tight, but I didn’t give all that I trained. I was well trained, confident and happy, but I think I felt the time zone, I was a little sleepy. In my opinion, of other reporters and even Kitaoka, I won the fight", says Léo, recalling the fight. "The fight was very tight. I won the second round, I was more aggressive. I dominated the four minutes of fight, passed, got the back, but, remaining 30 seconds, he left the position and turn in front of me. He came like a crazy trying to beat me, but nothing that hit me, just showing aggressiveness in this 30 seconds, which impressed the judges".

Even winning the fight that would determine the next challenger to the title, Yokota wasn’t scheduled to face the champion, who will defend, on August 2, the title against Mizuta Hirota. "We sent a letter to there complaining, because whoever won the fight would fight for the belt, but they didn’t put Yokota to fight with Kitaoka, so I'm waiting to see what happens", said the black belt in the expectation for the definition of his future in Sengoku. "I have more fights in the contract, but we have to wait. I have a contract of one year with them. We didn’t ask for a rematch, we only said that we don’t agree with the result. We’ll let on their hands to see what will be done", concluded the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Brazilian teaches BJJ to Rampage’s team

Responsible for the trainings of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for years, Waldomiro Perez is once again beside the fighter in the recordings of the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. The former champion, who participated in the seventh season of the program, will be back to the TV in season 10, when will make a duel with Rashad Evans’ team. In conversation with TATAME.com, Waldomiro spoke about the challenge of once again command the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training of one of the TUF teams, which will have an innovation that promises to further enhance the show's audience: the participation of the controversial fighter Kimbo Slice. Check below the chat with TATAME.

Are you going to be coach of Quinton’s team?
Yes, I will be the coach of Jiu-Jitsu of the tenth season of the Rampage’s team. I was also coach of the season 7, with Rampage as well.

When does the new season start?
We started recording on June 1st, and happens for six weeks.

What did you find most interesting in your first participation?
It is different you have cameras and microphones all the time on top of you, and also the challenge of training a group of fighters you've never seen for fights in a short time. There’s also the drama that happens in the house and everything. Mainly the popularity of the show in the streets, a lot of people who you don’t realize will come and talk about the show, and this shows the popularity of the MMA.

Where are you giving lessons?
I’m giving lessons in Huntington Beach Ultimate Training Center, same place I train for seven years.

Who do you teach, beyond Quinton Jackson?
Cheick Kongo, Tito Ortiz, (Michael) Bisping, Hector Ramirez, Jerry May, Mike Dolce, Luck Zack and some 30 more professionals who are part of our new project, which is the Team Rampage Company Paulista MMA, where we train professionals and amateurs who are beginning in MMA. We have several places that are affiliated with us, and more than 15 coachs involved in the project.

After Lyoto’s victory over Rashad, don’t you think that this confrontation (Rashad x Rampage) lose the interest?
The show is very popular, and this has a special attraction that I can’t say, but it leaked on the Internet. A fighter who is very popular here is in the show as a participant. Other than that, the fans know the rivalry between Rashad and Rampage, then I'm sure of the success of the season.

Feb 7, 2006
FEDOR SAYS NO TRAINING ISSUES, READY FOR WORK

WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko said his trainer, Vladimir Voronov, spoke out of turn in a critique of his performance against Andrei Arlovski.

“We discussed what he had said, and my answer is that sometimes his emotions... he might say a few extra words, more than what needs to be said,” Emelianenko told MMAWeekly.com at a Los Angeles press conference for Affliction: “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 in Anaheim. Emelianenko headlines the event against Josh Barnett in a long anticipated match between the top-ranked friends.

Not an hour after Emelianenko plucked the former UFC heavyweight champ out of the sky at January’s “Day of Reckoning,” Voronov was breathing a sigh of relief backstage.

“(Fedor) won with his old baggage, with his old tricks,” he said. “We did everything we can to get him ready for this fight. But for these title fights, for these dangerous fights, we can’t train the way we trained for this fight.”

Emelianenko wrapped an action movie alongside Rutger Hauer and Michael Madsen last November and canceled an American press tour citing a need to prepare for the January fight. In November, he suffered his first loss in Sambo in eight years.

Next time, Voronov asserted, they wouldn’t get off so easy.

“If he wants to keep winning, he can’t be spending too much time on these commercials and these movies,” he said. “Afterwards, after the win. For a fighter, the most important thing is work, work, work. Fedor wants to keep winning, and keep winning well. He needs to train professionally.”

Emelianenko countered that his training was fine.

“I wasn’t distracted by any movies or any other schedule conflicts,” he stated. “I was in great shape, I was fully prepared for the last fight and I’ll be prepared for this fight.

The virtually undefeated Russian says he'll depart to Russia after finishing his PR duties, where he will begin honing his game plan for Barnett. He and Voronov are taking the process seriously.

“For every fight, I try to prepare as much as I can to the maximum abilities that I can, to be in the best shape and best form that I can be,” he said. "We’ve talked about what we need to do, and as soon as I’m done with (this), I’m in training camp.”

Feb 7, 2006
How Cain Velasquez seemingly came out of nowhere to become a top UFC heavyweight

"He has to be part of a gang."

Marquee-sized letters scripted in calligraphy were stitched onto an alley-wide chest of a 6-foot-1, 240-pound mountain of an individual. The stereotypes are, unfortunately, quick to populate. The person's last name ends with a Z. He's dark-skinned with a trace of a Latino accent. Body art is most often associated with personal tributes, though at times it could be linked to representation and subliminal messages to one's posse or – much worse – rivals.

Cain Velasquez laughed when Javier Mendez asked him straight out if he was part of a Mean Street Mob. It was the first time the heralded collegiate athlete looking to break into mixed martial arts locked eyes with a former two-time world champion kickboxer and founder of the American Kickboxing Academy. Like all the rest, Velasquez was introduced with accolades. Like no one else had Velasquez made a mark neither by words nor actions, but capital letters spelling out two words.

Brown Pride.

There are many layers to it, Velasquez insisted, and none have to do with racial overtones. "Shut up!" was Mendez's retort. It has to be gang-related.

"For whatever reason, that 'Brown Pride' is going to attract attention to the point where people are going to want to ask questions about it and question him as a person," Mendez said. "But once you get to know him as person, he's going to change a lot of opinions of who he is."

There is a lot to learn about Cain Ramirez Velasquez. He was inked in 2002, his way of honoring his heritage and a mission to fill a childhood void. Young Velasquez was in search of an athletic role model to help him dream big dreams. There was none of that until the emergence of legendary Julio Cesar Chavez and later Oscar De La Hoya, the latter (who like Velasquez) is an American native of Mexican descent.

Velasquez is undefeated in five UFC bouts with only one going past the first round. Since his early MMA days, he has been built as the next heavyweight prodigy. Mendez went as far to tell Yahoo! Sports' Dave Meltzer in a July 2008 interview that Velasquez is a K-1 level kickboxer who could take former champion Randy Couture. He clarified those remarks in a discussion with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). Belief is one thing. Responding to hype and pressure is another.

"It wasn't false," Mendez said. "Obviously he hasn't earned that right to be called that, but I did it to see how he dealt with it. He's actually handed it extremely well. I still believe that, but I don't want to talk that anymore because now it's time to shut up and go out and do it. It's great to talk about potential, but if he doesn't go and perform anymore, it doesn't matter anymore, so now it's about performing and letting the rest take care of itself.

"It's one thing to have that level in sparring, but in the octagon it's another story."

A man of few words, Velasquez shies away from grandiose self-promotion. The two big ones scripted on his chest tell the entire story.

"I have desire to improve every day, each second," Velasquez said. "I'm proud of what I'm doing and proud of my heritage, and I'm doing good things in this sport. [I'm] proud to … represent."

Word came down at 3 p.m. West Coast time on May 18 that Velasquez would have a new opponent at UFC 99 in Laxness, Germany. Veteran Heath Herring was forced to withdraw from the June 13 bout due to an unspecified illness. Named in his place was a 34-year-old native of Paris and former European Savate champion named Cheick Kongo, 5-1 in his past six fights with his most recent loss coming to, ironically, The Texas Crazy Horse. Kongo has four years on Herring but has competed in 19 MMA fights compared to the latter's 43, yet he arguably poses a quicker and more powerful challenge. Velasquez could have postponed, but there was no talk of it. Damn the short notice. He greeted it with a back-to-business shrug.

"Just get ready for battle, that's it," Velasquez said. "He's a great opponent who's improved a lot on his wrestling. He's tough, so when I get out there, I have to look sharp. I have to be quick."

The one quickest to the strike may be in line for a coveted shot at heavyweight gold, but Kongo's chance may come sooner if he wins. Velasquez, says Kongo, is a newbie. There's no reason for him to be in a hurry, and Kongo believes his strength will derail those projections much longer.

"I don't know why this fight makes so much sense for him," Kongo told The Sun, a British tabloid. "I hear he is good, but if I was his manager I wouldn't want my fighter to fight someone like me so soon. He needs heart to beat me, lots of heart. He needs to be very careful. He can be very good, I have heard, but I am not too concerned. He should be the one who's worried."

Kongo disposed of Antoni Hardonk via TKO at UFC 97 – two months ago. His confidence is high, but his intelligence may prove not to be up to par. Ryan Bader, Velasquez's wrestling teammate at Arizona State and winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 8," called Kongo's acceptance of the bout a "horrible" idea. Refusing again to bite, Velasquez isn't yet thinking destiny, nor is he expecting an opponent adversely affected by a quick turnaround.

"I think he's the kind of guy who's always training, so I don't think it hurts him at all," Velasquez said. "It's that extra drive that makes him think he gets a title shot by beating me. I don't think like that. I think about what I have to do in the fight and what his strong points and weak points are, and I try to exploit them."

Five men have learned – painfully – what Velasquez is about. That initial sell needed some persuasion.

"You're gonna love this kid," Thom Ortiz, Velasquez's collegiate coach, told Mendez.

"Yeah, OK. Whatever. I'm gonna love this kid," Mendez replied. "I keep hearing that."

There was something about Velasquez and Ortiz's old-school relationships with his athletic connections that immediately sold super-agent Dwyane Zinkin on perhaps his biggest meal ticket since Chuck Liddell. Shortly after Velasquez's graduation, Ortiz called Zinkin to tell him about a heavyweight who he's flying into the San Jose-based AKA. After three days, Velasquez flew home and in the fax machine was a contract. It was signed; neither Ortiz nor Velasquez read it.

"That's how we do our relationships – based on trust and what we feel is positive," Ortiz said. "I don't even think Zinkin read the contract. I think he sent me what his lawyers sent him. It was in the best interest of Cain and everything else is history."

It was like negotiating over a beer and shaking hands, simple ideals embedded into young Cain by parents Efrain Sr. and Isabel. From the crack of dawn Cain and his father worked the fields for hours picking up and carrying watermelons. He didn't know it then, but the chore ended up the foundation of the repetitive pattern that started the fine-tuning of an athlete.

A graduate of Kofa High School (Yuma, Ariz.), Cain went 110-10 and won state titles in 2000 and 2001. Two All-American seasons at Iowa Central Community College caught Ortiz's attention and brought him back home to Arizona State. He was a different breed, this kid from Y-Town. During practice or in the locker room preparing for battle, his teammates thanked higher powers that this crazy guy was on their side.

"Cain had a scowl on his face," Bader said. "I don't think he even says a word; he'll just grunt before a fight. He's not listening to music or jumping around. He's getting his mind right to go out there and destroy whoever's in front of him. A lot of the wrestlers were intimidated not only because of his appearance but because he'd come at you three rounds straight and nonstop. That scared a lot of people."

At one meet against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in Velasquez's senior season sat a Cal-Poly booster, screaming and hollering within direct earshot of Ortiz. Fuming, Ortiz looked over his shoulder and saw a menacing figure with a prim mustache and Mohawk, Liddell. A Sun Devil Booster about 250 pounds turned to Ortiz and asked, "Do you want me to take care of it?" Ortiz turned to Liddell and the two shared a laugh.

Velasquez didn't care. He wanted Liddell to shut up, but all he could do was regroup, finish another opponent and remain refreshed like he was off a power nap. That senior year Velasquez won an incredible 21 straight matches before falling to Minnesota's Cole Conrad in the 2006 NCAA tournament semifinals, a close and controversial criteria decision that left him deprived and unfulfilled.

"He felt a little cheated and thought, 'What am I going to do now?'" Ortiz recalled. "Now he's taking it out on those MMA guys, and I feel sorry for them a little bit.

"Cain has a gas tank that goes a long way. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. If you don't have any fatigue, you can't be a coward."

Five men, beginning with Brad Morris at UFC 85, have felt Velasquez's wrath. Denis Stojnic was the first to get past Round 1, but Velasquez still overpowered him to take an undefeated mark into Germany, albeit with a bad taste in his mouth.

"I was a little tired throwing my punches; they lacked zip and power," Velasquez said. "I won't make the same mistake twice."

Velasquez's been at the MMA game for only two-and-a-half years with no jiu-jitsu or kickboxing training until August 2006. Never a strong counter-puncher, he'd be content with initiating and trading blows before his work at AKA showed him the science of not getting hit. Or in other words, for every one punch you take, fire three.

"The one thing about a wrestler is that he's always going to do the repetition," Oritz said. "The one thing that wrestlers do, it's our foundation, is we drill something, and we drill it until we get it right – and we'll do it a thousand times. The learning curve is so much higher and faster because they're doing the reputations. I think a lot of average people would do it 50. A wrestler is going to do it 250 times."

Mendez prefers four or five more bouts before that coveted title shot, but a victory over Kongo may be enough to secure it. Shane Carwin could be the next logical step, but a bout with the winner of the title-unification bout between heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Frank Mir at UFC 100 might make enough sense.

First things first. Velasquez may have to learn his next lesson: total endurance.

"I have to fight a smart fight and not let him get into his groove," Velasquez said. "He's not a guy you can finish easily. He's going to go the distance, so that's the kind of fight I'm looking for."

Further ahead is a deeper destiny. All of Ortiz's wrestlers had tattoos, but he felt compelled to ask about Velasquez's big statement. He was one of the few to learn that it honors Efrain Sr., who despite multiple deportations to Mexico continued to walk across the desert to work in America well before Cain was born.

"I guess you'd have to be about 240 pounds and pretty tough to have that across your chest," Ortiz said. "I can respect that. It was to honor his dad, who wanted the best for his children."

Enough was said. All that was required was an understanding.

Feb 7, 2006
Villasenor More than Ready for ‘Cyborg’
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/villasenor-more-than-ready-for-cyborg-17870
Joey Villasenor says he’s been training to face Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos for more than a year.

Sherdog.com’s Greg Savage caught up with Villasenor to discuss his bout with “Cyborg” on June 19’s ShoMMA card.

Feb 7, 2006
Two shows, three title fights close out Bellator's first season on June 12 and 19

Bellator Fighting Championships will close out its first season with three tournament finale title fights that take place June 12 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., and June 19 at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla.

After the crowning of Joe Soto as the organization's featherweight tournament winner, $100,000 bonus-check recipient and first-ever 145-pound champion this past weekend, additional hardware will be up for grabs in the coming weeks.

Upcoming tournament finales include welterweights Lyman Good (9-0) vs. Omar De La Cruz (5-1) on June 12, and lightweights Eddie Alvarez (17-2) vs. Toby Imada (22-12) and middleweights Hector Lombard (20-2-1) vs. Jared Hess (8-0-1) on June 19.

As with other events, the Week 11 and Week 12 shows air via 24-hour tape delay on ESPN Deportes.

Each tournament winner earns $175,000 in total pay over the three-fight tournament run, his division's respective title, and an upcoming title defense during Bellator's second season, which Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) will commence in September.

Tournaments next season are expected to determine top contenders to challenge this year's crop of champions. Additionally, a heavyweight tournament has been discussed that would crown the division's first champion. Dave "Pee Wee" Herman, an EliteXC vet who fought with Bellator once before in a non-tournament bout, could participate in the potential eight-man tourney.

In addition to the tournament finales, Bellator has released full cards for both its upcoming shows.

Week 11 (June 12 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.)

* 170 tourney finale: Lyman Good (9-0) vs. Omar De La Cruz (5-1)
* 170: Igor Gracie (1-1) vs. Vagner Rocha (1-0)
* 170: Dan Hornbuckle (17-2) vs. Marcelo Alfaia (10-5)
* 170: Matt Makowski (5-1) vs. Justin Torrey (4-0)
* 155: Colin Tebo (2-0) vs. Nick Pace (1-0)
* 185: David Branch (2-0) vs. Dennis Olson (6-1)
* 145: Jimmie Rivera (3-1) vs. Nick Garcia (1-2)
* 185: Uriah Hall (1-0) vs. Armando Montoya (0-0)

Week 12 (June 19 at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla.)

* 155 tourney finale: Eddie Alvarez (17-2) vs. Toby Imada (22-12)
* 185 tourney finale: Hector Lombard (20-2-1) vs. Jared Hess (8-0-1)
* 155: Jorge Masvidal (17-4) vs. Eric Reynolds (10-2)
* 145: Sami Aziz (4-0-1) vs. Brad Pickett (16-4)
* 170: Josh Martin (6-2-1) vs. Sergio Morais (3-0)
* 120: Jessica Aguilar (5-2) vs. Rosie Sexton (9-1)
* 185: Moyses Gabin (4-2) vs. Virgil Lozano (6-2-1)
* 155: Troy Gerhart (5-0) vs. Luis Palomino (10-5)

Feb 7, 2006
AT UFC 99, TERRY ETIM HAS 6 MONTHS TO UNLEASH

Terry Etim has lived, breathed, shed blood and hammered his training for well over six months with Justin Buchholz in mind. Originally slated to fight at UFC 95, the bout was scratched when his opponent pulled out due to an undisclosed injury, only to be replaced with Brian Cobb.

Another win later and the fight is back on for UFC 99 on Saturday night in Germany. Etim is pumped.

“I have been training for this guy for two long grueling camps now, both of them 10 weeks long. So I am really looking forward to finally making this happen,” explains the Liverpudlian.

So has much changed in anticipation of this bout?

“Not really, we analyzed him in depth at the beginning and we’re still sticking to that plan.”

Styles make fights and Etim is completely aware of this. He understands that they each have their strengths and weaknesses and the key to victory in his mind isn’t about being stuck on a predefined path, his intention is to maximize his own chances of success.

“I need to make him play to my strengths, where I feel I am at my best," offers Etim. "I can handle any situation I am put into.

“He has won most of his fights in the first round, but I don’t see that happening this time. I know he will want to take me down, despite what he may say otherwise and when he does, he will eat a few shots. I have been working so hard for this fight that I really don’t see him having an edge on me.”

Etim is confident at the moment, not only about his fight, but his standing in the promotion as well. In a time where the UFC has been announcing fighter cuts across its roster, Etim can rest assured of his place having inked a new four-fight deal that will take him deep into 2010.

“The changing point for me in my career came when I beat Sam Stout. I finally felt comfortable that this is my home, that I deserve to be here, and it's reassuring to know that the UFC feels the same way with this deal,” he commented.

Taking into account the level of competition he has faced, and is now up against, the fights will only get tougher, but the rewards become greater.

“I can’t look past this fight. If you look past a fight, you get into trouble. It’s just not my way. I just want to win this and then maybe get another two fights before the year is up. I have to stay active.”

At 23 years old, Etim is at an age where he is arguably part of the new wave of MMA competitors, guys that are complete in all disciplines without a noticeable bias towards any particular skill. He has elements of a fight that he may enjoy more, but with more submission victories than TKO’s, you could be fooled into thinking he preferred the ground, despite his clear striking proficiency.

“I try to pinpoint improvements and keep advancing in all areas: wrestling, Thai, and ground," he said. "All the guys I train with push me hard and it’s because of them that I am where I am. Fighting is my life and I will always be involved in it. I am a student of the game and I look up to people like Georges St. Pierre.”

Some fighters measure their success by titles, others by wealth and fame. Etim measures his success by how much he improves his skills. With a 12-2 record and five fights in the upper echelon of the MMA circuit, the world is his oyster. His plan is the same now as it was when he started – growth.

“I look back at how much I have improved since I started in this game and I take heart from that. I look at where I could be in five years and then 10 years and that’s what motivates me. I am always learning and always trying to bring on new skills.”