MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Unheated Rivalry: Jackson and ATT

When Georges St. Pierre and Thiago Alves step into the Octagon on July 11, they will be fighting for not only the UFC welterweight championship, but also for their coaches and teams. And while they might frown on carrying on a little dialogue in the build up to the fight, their coaches, who have become bosom buddies since doing a seminar together in March, will surely keep the rhetoric in the realm of the tasteful.

The newfound friendly rivalry will turn hot when Greg Jackson’s star pupil St. Pierre faces off with Ricardo Liborio’s top student, Thiago Alves.

“We are coming for you Greg Jackson, we want all your belts,” joked a smiling Liborio.

Liborio’s Florida-based American Top Team has long been recognized as one of the top camps in the MMA world, but they have never had a UFC champion in their stable. WEC featherweight ace Mike Thomas Brown helped scratch that itch a bit when he knocked out Urijah Faber last November to secure ATT’s first Zuffa belt.

While it fits in nicely with the slew of titles from Japan and North America that dot the Coconut Creek gym’s walls, Liborio will not rest until his camp has a UFC belt to go with them.

Alves will take his shot at the UFC welterweight champion this summer, and he may have a little extra pressure come fight night. His coach told me he wouldn’t mind putting up a little wager with Jackson, because he is supremely confident in Alves’ abilities.

It was kind of funny to hear Liborio gush about Jackson first thing when we got to the gym, but I had to tell him the same thing happened last week in Albuquerque when we were in town to interview Rashad Evans at Jackson’s place.

It is actually heartening for me to see two guys I truly respect -- guys who will be butting heads by proxy for the foreseeable future -- show this kind of respect and admiration for each other. With all the silly stuff that goes on in the combat sports world it is good to see the tenants of martial arts are alive and well in two of the sport’s biggest camps.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC to induct two new hall-of-famers during UFC 100 Fan Expo in July

The Ultimate Fighting Championships' official hall of fame will grow from five members to seven on the eve of UFC 100.

According to the official website for the UFC Fan Expo, a new trade and exhibition show that debuts at UFC 100, the UFC Hall of Fame will induct two new members on July 10.

The induction ceremony will be part of UFC President Dana White's keynote address for the UFC Fan Expo, which coincides with UFC 100 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The UFC has not revealed who will be inducted this year. Current inductees include Dan Severn, Mark Coleman, Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture and Royce Gracie.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, White didn't have a specific date in mind for when UFC legend and surefire hall-of-famer Chuck Liddell will get his induction. However, he remains a leading candidate.

In a post-UFC 97 press conference, just an hour after Liddell had suffered a knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, White announced that the UFC veteran was retired from the sport. Liddell's trainer, John Hackleman, recently told MMAjunkie.com that the former champ "has more than one fight" left in him, though White remains staunch in his retirement claims.

White said Liddell would probably be the organization's next hall-of-fame inductee. Other candidates include the late and great former champ Evan Tanner, who died in 2008, as well as longtime title-holder Matt Hughes, though he remains active and next fights at UFC 98. Other deserving candidates include the likes of Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, David "Tank" Abbott, Pat Miletich, Don Frye, Oleg Taktarov and a handful of other fighters and executives, including White himself.

The UFC Hall of Fame was introduced at UFC 45 with the inductions of Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Coleman, who was inducted in March 2008 at UFC 82, is the most recent addition to the hall.

Feb 7, 2006
Business as Usual

There is something to be said for the secretary that hits the lottery and still shows up for work the next day.

While the WEC title and the limited fame that comes with it surely don’t add up to millions of dollars -- at least not yet -- Mike Thomas Brown finds himself in an analogous situation.

Here he is, a world champion and top-10 pound-for-pounder, and he is still working his regular shift at the front desk of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla.

Becoming a champion and having your fights aired over and over on Versus will tend to make you a recognizable person. “Brownie” has competed for so long in relative obscurity; the attention he gets on a regular basis now is something new -- but still exciting -- and sometimes interesting too.

“Some people,” says a chuckling WEC champ, “on the phone, they’ll call the gym and then, ‘this is Mike, how can I help you?’ You know, I’m like a secretary, and they’ll be like ‘s---, this is Mike Brown?’ And they will want to gab for like 45 minutes about who knows what.”

Money and fame have changed many a person but that is not a concern for Brown’s friends and teammates at ATT. They note the fact that he is still driving his Ford Focus and continues to live the same way he did before he became champ as evidence that he just will not change, no matter how much success he attains.

Brown’s own words echo those sentiments as well.

“I think most of those people who allow that stuff to change them held those views all along. I don’t know. I just know that I don’t see myself or any of my teammates having those issues.”

Feb 7, 2006
Homeland Security

Considered one of the premier Brazilian mixed martial artists, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira will throw MMA leather on his home soil for the first time in the Jungle Fight “Ceara” main event this Saturday at the Paulo Serasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil.

“I’ve had 14 of my 19 fights in Japan,” Nogueira said. “Last year, I had the opportunity to box in the Pan American Championships in Rio [de Janeiro], and it was such an amazing experience. This Saturday, I’ll be able to fight for my people under my rules.”

Brazilian cable TV outlet Premiere Combat will carry the show on pay-per-view. Three months after he knocked out former International Fight League champion Vladimir Matyushenko at Affliction “Day of Reckoning,” Nogueira will take on Dion Staring, a Golden Glory teammate of Alistair and Valentijn Overeem, Sergei Kharitonov and Semmy Schilt.

“I’ve seen four of his fights,” Nogueira said. “He likes to combine low kicks and punches, has a strong right cross punch and a couple of knockouts on his resume. I think he deserves all my respect, but I’m very self confident and well-trained.”

The opportunity to fight in his homeland means a great deal to Nogueira (16-3), the 32-year-old twin brother of former Pride Fighting Championships and interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

“I always dreamed of fighting in Brazil and mostly in the northeast, where I was born and have part of my family and friends,” Nogueira said. “It’s going to be a great dream for me.”

Nogueira leaned heavily on his brother in order to prepare for his bout with Staring (15-5), a 30-year-old Dutchman who will enter the match on a two-fight losing streak.

“My brother came from the United States to help me and beat me up,” he said with a smile, his brother shaking his head nearby.

The heavyweight Nogueira sees problems ahead for Staring.

“Rogério is in great shape -- good wrestling, striking and his ground is also very good,” he said. “He is really sharp and self confident for this fight coming in after two knockouts. I bet this fight will end in a knockout or submission.”

“Minotoro” also spoke positively about his relationship with Affliction.

“I’m very happy in Affliction; they are treating me fine, and this fight in Brazil will be very important to keep me in shape for my next fight there,” he said. “I don’t know if it will be on July 11 or Aug. 28, but I’ll be ready.”

One of the most popular fighters in Brazil, Nogueira continues to field questions about when fans might see him competing inside the UFC.

“People keep asking all the time about that, but Affliction made an offer I couldn’t refuse,” he said. “I think I made the correct choice. The UFC’s a great promotion, and it’s a dream for any fighter to fight there. At the moment, I’m close with Affliction and concentrating on winning their belt. In the future, who knows?”

Nogueira also addressed the criticism directed at his teammate, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, after his performance against Thales Leites in a five-round unanimous decision victory at UFC 97 last month. That followed what some saw as a lackluster effort against Patrick Cote at UFC 90.

“Actually, he’s had an amazing run, knocking out everybody in the first or second round, so people expect that from him,” Nogueira said. “The fans need to understand that the sport is evolving, and he’s fighting different opponents with different games. I liked Anderson in both fights. He was very tactical and clearly superior. If we look back, not even Mike Tyson at his best knocked out all his opponents. Anderson didn’t [tie or] break two records (nine straight UFC win and five straight title defenses) by accident.”

Feb 7, 2006
BOBBY LASHLEY PAVING HIS OWN WAY IN MMA

This past Saturday night, former professional wrestling superstar Bobby Lashley was the special guest of promoter Tony Metcalfe’s Bullet Fight Gear Presents: “The Battle of Rome VII” in Rome, Ga.

It was one of those deals, where the promoter of a small show, brings in a big name guy to make an appearance and put people in the seats. Some guy that has been there and done it, a champion, a top contender, or a pay-per-view main-eventer.

Lashley has been all of those things in the world of pro wrestling, but has yet to climb to the top of the mixed martial arts ladder. In fact, there were only two fighters on the card that night with fewer fights to their credit than Lashley.

Even with minimal experience, he feels like he has found a home in the sport.

“Mixed Martial Arts has always been a passion of mine,” he said. “It was something I had to try, to find out what I was really made of.”

A three-time NAIA National wrestling champion, and a two-time Armed Forces Champion; Lashley already had a solid foundation on which to build his fighting skill set. Pro wrestling helped him build his name, but that’s where it ends in terms of translating to real fighting.

“The training for wrestling and MMA is completely different,” he stated. “Wrestling is more about entertainment. It’s about making things look good, and putting on a show. In MMA, it’s about doing what you have to do to win.”

Making the jump from wrestling to MMA, there have been the inevitable comparisons to Brock Lesnar, but Lashley doesn’t give them a second thought.

“There’s really no comparison. He went one way, and I am going another,” said Lashley. “The only thing we have in common is that we have the same goal, and that’s to be the champion. He’s there now, and I’m on my way.”

The next step on the road to a championship is Mike Cook. The two are set to face off on May 15, in a Maximum Fighting Championship promotion.

“I don’t really know much about him, just that he trains in California with Frank Shamrock,” he said of his MFC 21 foe.

Another opponent on the horizon is Bob Sapp. The PRIDE and K-1 veteran has been very outspoken about the fight, scheduled for June 27, but Lashley doesn’t care to engage in the banter.

“I really don’t have anything to say about him. I let the people who talk just do what they do, and I do my talking in the ring," he stated.

There are skeptics out there who are unsure about what the future holds for Bobby Lashley in MMA, but there doesn’t seem to be any doubt in his mind.

“I just plan to keep on winning”.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Shane Carwin wants whoever holds the belt following UFC 100

I want whoever holds that belt. That’s my end goal. Right now Brock has it. Until Frank proves otherwise Brock still has it. We’ll see at (UFC) 100. I’m not saying that Brock’s the winner or loser. I think Frank’s a great opponent and very talented and that fight can go either way. If Frank takes that away then I want Frank Mir. I just continually try to climb that ladder as they call it, to the next rung … I know (Cheick) Kongo’s up there right now. If they throw that matchup at me to take place I’d be happy with that matchup. Like I said, one rung at a time. Whatever they deem necessary for me to do that then I’ll take care of that.

Feb 7, 2006
Billy Evangelista on Mike Aina Strikeforce fight at open media workout

“It’s going to be great-finally fighting in my hometown. My Dad is going to come down and be there for the first time at a fight with me. I’m just so excited. This is a great opportunity for me. A lot of people want me to win, especially because I’m the local boy. There is a lot of pressure being undefeated. I just try to ignore the pressure. I’m always trying looking to put on a great show. It’s going to be a great show. I’m going to have a lot of friends and family watching. It’s going to be a great fight for me and Mike.”

Feb 7, 2006
Rampage Being Considered For Another Run As TUF Coach

With his sharp sense of humor, undeniable charisma and outgoing personality Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is a huge ratings draw.

According to Fighter’s Only Spike TV executives are looking for him to return to a coaching role on The Ultimate Fighter season ten.

Nothing has been offered and there are other options being considered but Spike officials have let the UFC know of their admiration for Jackson.

Filming is set to begin in the next month or so and with Rampage being the number one contender to the light heavyweight title a spot on TUF opposite the winner of the Rashad Evans-Lyoto Machida could work out. With Evans and Machida scheduled for May 23 the winner would be allotted a long break before having to fight Jackson. Having either Evans or Machida on would be great exposure for either one. Machida really needs the exposure as he is quiet and it was only until recently that the UFC put any focus on him.

Evans who was the winner of season two of The Ultimate Fighter also needs help as his personality is all that captivating. The fact that he has a brewing feud going on with Rampage will only help matters. It would mark the third time that a winner of the show would go on to be a coach as Evans would follow in the footsteps of season one winner, Forrest Griffin, who coached opposite Jackson on season seven. Michael Bisping who was the light heavyweight winner on season three is coaching against Dan Henderson on the latest installment of TUF in which eight British fighters are going up against eight American fighters.

Rampage could bring out the best in either Machida or Evans as he is as playful as he is serious. When he coached against Griffin he had moments where he was extremely angry and went as far as to threaten Griffin. He also had moments where he played around with Griffin when he shot him with water guns. Evans and Jackson had a face to face meeting at the end of Jackson’s bout with Evans’ teammate Keith Jardine at UFC 96. Evans and Jackson jawed back and forth for awhile and apparently this animosity carried over into a recent photo shoot that the two were scheduled for. Jackson was furious that he and Evans were together and had to leave the room to keep his cool.

The biggest question when it comes to Machida is how his English is coming along. Based on reports he is working very hard on learning the language. A spot on The Ultimate Fighter would be great for the Brazilian as not many people who aren’t hardcore fans are familiar with him and many fans who are do not like his style. Some say he is boring and that he does not take enough chances while others say he is extremely talented and will remain unbeaten for a long time to come.

Feb 7, 2006
Palhares: “Wanderlei would beat Anderson”

Getting ready to face Alessio Sakara in his third fight in the UFC, Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares, wants another victory to move up in the middleweight rankings, while the ATT fighter looks for his second consecutive victory in the UFC, where he has nine fights. Rousimar’s fight against the Italian takes place on August 8 (UFC 101), in the United States, and the Brazilian knows what he’ll have to do to defeat Sakara.

"I’m training hard and I have trained a lot of striking too, because his strong thing is boxing. I won’t go with a strategy set, I want to feel the fight and develop everything that I’m doing in the trainings", said the Brazilian Top Team black belt. With an eye on everything that is happening in his category, Palhares spoke about Anderson’s fight against Thales Leites, which happened at UFC 97.

"I liked the fight, it was very studied and both respected each other a lot. I believe Demian (Maia) could surprise (Anderson), as well as Anderson... It’s a very difficult fight to analyze", said the Jiu-Jitsu ace, who also commented the possible fight between the former team mates Anderson and Wanderlei Silva. "Now, with Wanderlei coming to the middleweight, I’m pretty sure that he would defeat Anderson... It would be a great fight, they’ve already trained together, know each others’ game. Anderson would have to put his game on and if Wanderlei went inside, I have no doubts that he would win. To me, it would be Wanderlei, it would be a great fight", concluded the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Conan Silveira talks next ATT fights

One of the American Top Team leaders, Marcos Conan Silveira is celebrating the great phase of the team in the United Stated. With more than 40 branches around the country, Conan is preparing his athletes for their next fights, and spoke with TATAME.com about some of them. Check below that Conan says about Thiago Alves, Gesias Cavalcante, Alessio Sakara, Thiago Silva, Mike Brown and Bobby Lashley:

Thiago “Pitbull” Alves vs. Georges St. Pierre – UFC 100:

“I’d like to start answering this question with 1000% sure that he’ll be the man to defeat the champion, Georges St. Pierre. I can be a little suspect of saying this, but I’m sure for his training, the focus and the whole team helping him, because it’s not something you do alone. We’re a family like any other, but, sincerely, with the time I have in the MMA, I don’t know a team like ATT."

Alessio Sakara vs. Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares – UFC 101:

“It’s been a different training, a specific one, because we have to compensate what Toquinho is on the ground and what Sakara is standing, which is excellent. We’re balancing his training. I’m sure it’ll be another win for us, besides thinking it’ll be a tough fight."

Thiago Silva vs. Keith Jardine – UFC 102:

"Obviously, we had a plan set for Forrest Griffin, but thanks God we had the ability and tools to change the training. And it’s already done. This changing won’t affect too much, because we have now two more weeks of training. We’ll focus now on Jardine, and I’m 1000% sure he’ll win it, because he’s tougher than Jardine."

Gesias Cavalcante vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri – Dream 9:

"One of ours strongest points is that we’re serious about the opponent. When the fighter is a focused guy like Gesias and many others, top professionals, he’ll go inside in this fight, for sure. He’s training a lot, doing everything. I have nothing else to say, besides it’s another win for us."

Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber II – WEC 41:

"You wants to know how is Mike’s training to win again, fight? (laughs). He’s another incredible fighter, a guy who deserves to be where he is now. He’s a good person, a tough kid, and sees the fight like if it was his first one. That’s what makes us work even more in the fighter and his philosophy, not let the champion go up to the head and make the fighter lose his way. In other words, he’s the champion and remain the champion for a long time, but the training is like if it was his first opportunity to fight."

Mike Brown vs. Wagnney Fabiano or José Aldo:

"Those would be tough fights, each one of them are great fighters. But I believe Mike would defeat them."

Is Bobby Lashley the next Brock Lesnar?

"He has a bright future, he’ll be in the best events soon. We want him to be better than Lesnar. I don’t wanna demerit Lesnar, but I think he had too much rush. Bobby, besides being a natural athlete, is a person who was born to fight. He’s doing a great transition to MMA and will fight now on May 15, I think, at Canada. We’re moving slowly with him, because we prefer to walk slowly, but walk al the time. We want to make this way more professionally with Bobby."

Feb 7, 2006
Norifumi 'KID' Yamamoto interview with DREAM

The official Dream website posted an interview on Tuesday with Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto that was conducted on April 10.

Your opponent was announced. Fans are very interested in seeing you fight.
I'm very excited and cannot wait to fight, too. I'm very glad that many people are looking forward to seeing my fight. I'm not going to do anything stupid. I give my all and try to control the fight. My only concern is if I can adjust the 10 minutes first round rule. I used to fight the 5 minutes rounds, and I have to figure out the way to control my stamina. I will see what happens.

Many fans and critics considered the 1st round of the Featherweight Tournament boring. What did you think?
I enjoyed watching that event. I learned a lot about fighters in this tournament. I guess fighters watch fights from the different point of view?

What do you think about your opponent, Joe Warren? He defeated Chase Beebe in the 1st round.
I though he put strong pressure on his opponent, especially while grappling. His fighting style is a bit different with other fighters. His style is similar to my teammate who has Greco-Roman wrestling background. I wasn't impressed to see his striking skills; however, I have to be careful about his strong punches because he has an excellent athletic capability to learn new techniques quick.

Do you prefer fighting in the standing position?
Yes, but I wouldn't mind showing my ground techniques which I'm working on for a while.

How's your condition? You injured your right knee right before the fight with Joseph Benavidez at Dream.5.
My knee has not been fully recovered yet, but I'm fine if I am careful. I was very excited to fight at Dream.5 and trained extra hard for that fight, and I was injured during the training. I had my right knee operated on as well as my wrist. I broke my left wrist a week before my fight with Bibiano Fernandes at Hero's in Sep, 2007. I didn't think the wrist was broken at that time. The wrist got swollen badly and painful in a short while; however, I didn't go to see a doctor. In fact, it was painful to ware gloves when I fought Rani Yahya. When I was injured my knee, I asked the doctor to examine my wrist, and I found out it was broken. I learned that I should had seeing the doctor before.

So, do you want to be a champion?
Yes. I want to get a Dream belt. I want to display two championship belts DREAM and Hero's in my gym.

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White, Forrest Griffin and Kenny Florian on "Dr. Phil" on May 15

Ultimate Fighting Champion president Dana White and UFC fighters Forrest Griffin and Kenny Florian recently taped an episode of the "Dr. Phil" show.

The taped episode airs next Friday, May 15. (Check local listings for details.)

A representative from the daytime talk show today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the show will feature aspiring fighters who are practicing their craft in dangerous situations.

The UFC contingent will apparently caution viewers (and the would-be fighters) about how real-life mixed martial artists prepare and train safely for their bouts. It's also possible the trio will need to defend the sport to an audience likely to be unfamiliar with MMA.

White has previously appeared on the "Dr. Phil" show. Earlier this year, he was a special guest on the program and talked to a wife who was concerned about her husband's aspirations of becoming an MMA fighter. White shared some statistics from the sport's stellar safety record while also discussing the many precautions that are put in place to protect competitors.

Griffin, "The Ultimate Fighter 1" winner and a former UFC light-heavyweight champion, and Florian, the UFC's top lightweight contender and a "TUF1" runner-up, are two of the organization's most popular (and well-spoken) fighters.

"Dr. Phil," hosted by Phil McGraw, is syndicated in the U.S., Canada and around the world. The daytime talk show debuted in 2002.

Feb 7, 2006
Kyle Kingsbury vs. Razak Al-Hassan bout moved from UFC 102 to fall

A light-heavyweight bout between Kyle Kingsbury (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Razak Al-Hassan (6-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) initially targeted for an Aug. 29 UFC 102 fight card has been postponed and will likely now take place sometime this fall.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported the possibility of the bout last week but cautioned that an elbow injury sustained by Al-Hassan in a December loss to Steve Cantwell could keep him off the UFC 102 card.

Sources close to the fighter today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com the bout has been postponed.

Instead of taking place at UFC 102, Kingsbury plans to wait until Al-Hassan is healed so the match-up remains intact. It's expected to take place in or around October.

(Currently, no events have been announced or are rumored for October.)

Kingsbury, a replacement fighter who was eliminated from "The Ultimate Fighter 7" by eventual show winner Ryan Bader, returned at the show's live finale in December. He suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Tom Lawlor at the event but wasn't cut from the organization's roster of fighters.

He'll likely next meet Al-Hassan, who suffered a dislocated elbow when he refused to tap to Cantwell's armbar attempt at UFC Fight Night 16. The December bout marked the Midwesterner's debut in the organization.

If the Kingsbury vs. Al-Hassan bout takes place, it'll likely be a must-win for each fighter. With the UFC's recent roster purge, neither fighter can afford another loss.

Feb 7, 2006
With WEC deal unresolved, ex-champ Doug Marshall focused on PFC 13

Former heavyweight and former light heavyweight Doug Marshall will continue his descent down the weight classes when he makes his second appearance as a middleweight in the main event of Friday's Palace Fighting Championships event.

Marshall (9-3) meets Jaime Jara (21-6) at PFC 13, which takes place at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif.

While Marshall is looking ahead to the future, including a possible move to the Japanese-based Sengoku event series, he said he's not technically finished with the WEC.

Marshall launched his MMA career with the WEC in 2003 at WEC 8 and won his first four fights. After a drop from heavyweight, he defeated Lodune Sincaid at WEC 23 in 2006 and won the organization's light-heavyweight title.

Just four months later, the UFC's parent company, Zuffa LLC, purchased the WEC and ultimately decided to focus on the sport's lighter weight classes. However, even before the elimination of the 205-pound division, Marshall always seemed the odd man out. He never seemed to get the promotional support other WEC champs received, and after he lost his belt to military vet Brian Stann 14 months ago at WEC 33, Marshall disappeared from the WEC completely.

So, was "The Rhino" canned? Did he voluntarily leave?

"I don't know," Marshall told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) on Wednesday. "You guys tell me. What's going on with that? I'm sorry I didn't get an opportunity to go serve in Iraq with like Brian Stann. I was a champion defending my belt successfully, twice. I obviously lost to Brian Stann.

"I gave the WEC – I started in the WEC and gave them 13 fights, all crowd-pleasers one way or the other. But then they pick up these other guys, (Steve) Cantwell and Brian Stann, and then they leave 'The Rhino' under the bus?"

Soon after Marshall lost his belt, the WEC folded its light-heavyweight division into the UFC's. A handful of WEC fighters got the promotion to MMA's top organization.

Marshall, though, wasn't one of them.

"I told my manager, 'Dude, your Stann's manager too. He's in the UFC, and I'm seriously sitting at home playing Xbox 360 wondering what the [expletive] is going on,'" Marshall said. "Yeah, I got a little upset, but it is what it is. They chose those dudes for whatever reason. I guess there's a lot of politics involved. I really don't know, man. I'm a fighter, not a politician."

So, does that mean he's done with the WEC and UFC?

"My manager says I'm not out," Marshall said. "I'm just not in."

What does that mean?

"Yeah, what does that mean?" Marshall said. "Can I get some translation here for the manager language to the fighter language?

"Anyway, I'm not sweating it. Would I liked to fight in the UFC? Of course ... but there's a lot of good promotions out there right now that are paying well. I'm sure I'd have to take a pay cut just to go to the UFC."

Since his most recent WEC bout, Marshall has fought twice for the PFC. A scheduled bout with UFC and EliteXC vet Seth Petruzelli, which was slated to take place at Roy Jones Jr.'s hybrid MMA/boxing event in March, fell apart, though.

Marshall said his manager has also had some talks with World Victory Road, which organizes Japan's Sengoku events. Marshall said it's a dream of his to fight in Japan. But for now, he's simply focused on Friday's PFC fight.

After all, Marshall said, he loves the organization.

"Palace Fighting Championships always takes care of me real well," Marshall said. "It's right there just about 20 minutes from my house. It's cool. I go to the weigh-ins, I go back to my house and sleep in my own bed. ... The fans are great here in the Central Valley. They're off the hook. They're a little crazy sometimes – there are chairs flying sometimes – but that (stuff) just happens. Blame that on drinkability."

Marshall expects no problems with his cut to 185 pounds, though he admits the drop required some sacrifices.

"In my off-time, I like my beer and my pizza," Marshall said. "I had to get on a little bit of a diet, eat cleaner, more cardio. I definitely feel faster. My joints feel better not carrying around ... 20 (extra) pounds. I feel good."

Marshall said the weight loss has made him a quicker fighter, and his ground game – one he says has often been overlooked – is better than ever.

And although he likes testing himself on the ground and showcasing is under-appreciated skills, there's something he likes a whole lot more.

"I like rolling," Marshall said. "I just like knocking mother [expletive] out a whole lot better. The crowd responds a little bit better to that too."

Feb 7, 2006
Sean Sherk works on reputation restoration

From his shredded abdomen to his massive trapezius to his cauliflower ears, Sean Sherk looks every bit the wrestler. He's built like a guy who could pick you up and drive you repeatedly into the mat for the sheer joy of it.

It's pretty much what he did to Kenny Florian when he won the Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight title at UFC 64 in Las Vegas on Oct. 14, 2006. That raw power is what has helped him to become one of the world's elite mixed martial artists.

It's been a different Sherk in the cage in his past two outings, however. The Sherk who dropped a title fight in Las Vegas to B.J. Penn at UFC 84 on May 24, 2008, and the one who claimed an exciting unanimous decision from Tyson Griffin at UFC 90 in Chicago on Oct. 25 was far more willing to fire his hands and trade punches.

He not only was willing to box, but he also actually made the conscious decision to eschew wrestling and rely upon his standup. He's worked on his boxing since he was a boy, but he built his professional reputation as a powerful and hard-nosed wrestler.

He's showing other aspects of his game more frequently now, though, all part of a desire to become the most complete fighter he can. He's been working on a slew of new submission moves as well, though it's unlikely he'll be taking part in a black-belt ceremony any time soon.

But when he meets Frankie Edgar in an important lightweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on May 23 as part of UFC 98, he'll be a lot more versatile than he was just a few short years ago.

"The great thing about this sport is that, even after all these years as a pro fighter and 40 fights, I'm still learning and still adding a lot to my game," he said. "I relied on my wrestling for a long time in my career, but the way this sport has evolved, you really can't be one dimensional and compete at the highest level."

Sherk is 37-3-1, and his only losses have come to three of the best fighters ever to compete in the UFC: Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre and Penn, all of whom at one point or another have held the welterweight title.

He's clearly one of the game's top talents, though his name in rarely mentioned is such talk.

And he's still has to prove that his gaudy record is the result of genetics, talent and hard work more so than from chemistry.

He failed a post-fight urinalysis following his victory over Hermes Franca in a lightweight title bout at UFC 73 in Sacramento, Calif., on July 7, 2007. He was suspended for a year by the California State Athletic Commission.

Sherk, though, was incensed by the charge and vehemently denied the allegations. He hired an attorney to prove his innocence and presented a compelling case.

The problem from his standpoint is that it was the media that heard his entire presentation, not the commissioners who would decide his fate.

"Guys who are accused of murder were given more rights than I was in this particular situation," Sherk said.

He ultimately managed to get the penalty reduced to six months, though the damage to his career, his finances and, most importantly, his personal reputation, was anything but reduced. He lost significant money in sponsorships, money he hasn't regained nearly two years later.

He looked no less ripped and appeared no less powerful than he did before, and he passed every test he was given, yet many of his sponsors simply wanted nothing to do with him.

"I lost tons of sponsors," Sherk said. "Basically, I can't get a nutrition company to sponsor me. None of them want to touch me. I've had people straight up tell me they don't want anything to do with me because of the steroid stuff."

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, said Sherk just passed yet another test. He was tested randomly prior to his UFC 98 bout, along with Hughes, Edgar and Matt Serra.

He also was clean both prior to and after his bout at UFC 84, Kizer said.

That's of no surprise to Sherk, who said he's at least gratified that California has revamped its testing procedures since his case.

He wants to move on and be recognized for his accomplishments and not for having been tagged as a steroids user.

He's not so naive, however, to think that's a simple task. He passed polygraph tests, blood tests and urine tests in an attempt to prove his own veracity, yet to no avail.

With the passage of time, he believes he may finally be vindicated. He was chosen randomly by Kizer for prefight testing this time, but he's going to be the most-tested fighter in MMA by the time he's through.

"I'm becoming a better fighter all the time, and I'm becoming more well-versed in all aspects," Sherk said. "That's usually not what people want to talk to me about, though. It's not what some of these sponsors think. I understand where they're coming from, but it's frustrating for me because I'm an innocent party who has done nothing but work as hard as I possibly could to become as good as I possibly can."

If he keeps defeating the best the UFC throws at him, he believes that sooner or later his reputation will be restored.

And then, he'll be judged by the ability he shows in the cage and not by the thought that he became better through artificial means.

"The way our sport is evolving is incredible," Sherk said. "The next group of guys coming in are a lot more well-rounded than the group of guys they're replacing. It's a constant improvement process. I want people to look at me and say, 'This guy did everything he could to be a complete fighter,' and not look at me and think of me as a guy who cheated and took a shortcut."

As Sherk well knows, however, that is much easier said than done.

Feb 7, 2006
TEAM QUEST HITS BUSY TIME ACROSS THE GLOBE

In existence since 2000, under the leadership of Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland, Team Quest has become a consistent presence on the world's biggest stages of mixed martial arts.

With more than 40 fighters on the Team Quest roster and three locations, there's always a lot going on in the camp.

Despite a victory less than one month ago – over former WEC champ Brian Stann at UFC 97 – Krzysztof Soszynski is making a quick turnaround to replace Houston Alexander at UFC 98. He will face Andre Gusmao in the May 23 bout.

Initial plans had been for Soszynski to heal up a couple of minor nagging injuries before returning to the Octagon, but when Alexander had to drop out, the cerebral fighter quickly stepped in.

"Of all the guys I'm associated with, he's got one of the highest MMA IQs I have ever seen," his manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc., told MMAWeekly.com recently. "He had a lot of injuries going into that last fight and he fought through them. He had a game plan and it worked exactly as he planned."

Soszynski will be looking to add on to his current five-fight winning streak at UFC 98.

After a tremendous ride with Pride Fighting Championships – where he knocked out Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona – Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou skidded out in the UFC, going 1-2, before losing to Renato "Babalu" Sobral in Affliction's second stand.

He will now head back to Japan to fight for the Dream promotion. On May 26, he will compete in the eight-man open weight tournament at Dream 9. Sokoudjou will fight Jan Nortje in the opening round of the tournament, which also features the likes of Gegard Mousasi, Bob Sapp, Ikuhisa Minowa, Hong Man Choi, Mark Hunt, and former Major League Baseball player Jose Canseco.

Joining Sokoudjou in Japan on May 26 is Joe Warren. A tremendous pedigree in wrestling, Warren made a big splash in his MMA debut defeating former WEC champion Chase Beebe in the opening round of the Dream Featherweight Grand Prix.

Things don't get any easier for the MMA neophyte at Dream 9. He steps in to face one of the most popular and successful fighters in Japan, as he takes on the 17-1 Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto in only his second time in the ring.

Undefeated Team Quest 135-pound fighter Kiko Lopez, currently 4-0, is looking to make it five straight victories to start his career. He fights on May 16 for King of the Cage in Lake Elsinore, Calif.

Joining Lopez on the same fight card is Fernando Gonzalez. A King of the Cage veteran with a strong 14-6 record, Gonzalez has been up and down over his past 10 fights or so, and is looking to build on his win in late April at Gladiator Challenge.

Team Quest will also have a significant presence at the upcoming War Godz event on May 30. Described by Heath Sims as one of Team Quest's "top young fighters," Tarec Saffiedine will put his 6-0 record on the line. He is part of the undercard supporting a main event bout between his teammate Lew Polley and veteran Vernon "Tiger" White.

Feb 7, 2006
A Second Chance for Escovedo

Cole Escovedo knows a lot about second chances. Two years ago, the former WEC champion woke up in his bed and couldn’t feel his legs.

A staph infection, along with a string of medical complications that followed it, ravaged the athlete’s body and risked him permanent paralysis. The experience, at one point life-threatening, hasn’t deterred the fighter, however.

Escovedo returns to the cage this Friday in a 135-pound preliminary bout against undefeated Michael MacDonald at the Palace Fighting Championships in Lemoore, Calif.

It has been a fight just to get there -- physicians said the 27-year-old would be lucky just to walk properly again, let alone step back into the ring.

Escovedo first noticed a red pimply bump on his left forearm a few months after his last fight –- a loss to the John Hackleman-trained Antonio Banuelos at WEC 23 in August 2006. Escovedo dismissed the mark as a spider bite or an in-grown hair.

“It just kept getting worse though,” Escovedo recalls. “The skin would stay bunched up there. When I started to lose strength, then feeling in my left arm, I knew it had to be something.”

Escovedo wasn’t the first fighter to be diagnosed with a staph infection, though his story that followed is surely an exceptional one. The wound was lanced and Escovedo was given antibiotics. The infection, thought to have gone dormant, instead spread to the small of his back and started to work its way up his spine.

“I thought my legs fell asleep, so I kind of laid there wondering what the hell was going on,” says Escovedo. “I really started to panic when I was really straining to move them and they wouldn’t budge.”

Escovedo had already been to the hospital less than a month before for his unexplained back pain and loss of bladder control. Now his mother and brother rushed him back into the Clovis Community Hospital’s emergency room in central California.

The fighter’s mother was livid when doctors offered her son nothing more than painkillers and a wheelchair, then sent him home again without any further tests, he says.

Without a catheter put in place, Escovedo’s bladder quickly engorged.

“The kind of pain I was in with my spine was really bad,” says Escovedo. “I’ve had my eye socket and hand broken in a fight, but I never felt anything like that before. The pain in my back was unbearable.”

Back in the hospital again, this time the Escovedos refused to leave until additional tests were done. The fighter was soon in an ambulance racing to another nearby hospital in Fresno after the Clovis facility called for a second opinion, he says. Escovedo says he’s since filed a malpractice suit with the Clovis hospital.

Exhausted from being up for nearly 48 hours straight, a drugged and groggy Escovedo gave the go-ahead for exploratory surgery around his spine, knowing that one misstep could cause irreversible paralysis.

“The good thing was that once I woke up from the surgery, I could feel my toes,” he says.

Even if the surgery corrected his ailment, Escovedo’s neurosurgeon told him not to plan on fighting ever again.

“I’m not the type of person that likes being told I can’t,” says Escovedo. “It would be one thing if I gave up and said, 'Hey, I’m done fighting. I’m gonna move onto something else.’ But this was someone telling me I didn’t get a say in it -- ‘You’re done.’”

Escovedo spent the next six weeks learning how to walk again on his own.

At a PFC event a couple of months later, Escovedo hobbled around the venue with a cane. His frail body shook like he had Parkinson’s disease, as Escovedo’s brain struggled to get messages to his legs. In that instant, even Escovedo knew that fighting again seemed like a pipedream.

“To go from being a world champion to being that, it was embarrassing to the point where maybe I didn’t want to be there,” says Escovedo. “I didn’t want people to see me like that. People would look at me and say, ‘Damn dude, you used to be a bada--. What happened? Now you’re nothing.”

In his eight appearances at the Tachi Palace, home to the WEC and now the PFC, Escovedo had become quite a draw. The lanky 5-foot-9 fighter was known just as much for his triangle-choke finishes as for his bristly attitude in the cage.

“Cole has a pretty loyal following in central California,” says Christian Printup, who hosted numerous WEC events alongside owners Reed Harris and Scott Adams before the promotion was whisked away to Las Vegas. “He's the type of guy that people like or dislike. You know, Cole's fans want to see him triangle someone unconscious, and his detractors, well, they wanna see him get knocked out. He is a very confident person, and sometimes people tend to mistake that for arrogance. I'll admit there is a fine line there, but when it comes down to it, people like to come out to see Cole fight because he's never in a bad fight.”

When it looked like past glories were just that, Escovedo says he sunk into a deep depression.

“There was a lot of drinking involved, to be honest,” he admits. “There was one point where I think I drank for a good three weeks straight.”

With his father serving a 60-year jail sentence for multiple kidnappings and rapes (Escovedo’s father was diagnosed with “schizophrenic multi-personality disorder” when Escovedo was 12), it was Escovedo’s mother who intervened.

“She’s the one who kind of pulled me out, told me to stop having a pity party and either decide to do something about fighting or move onto something else,” says Escovedo.

A year and a half ago, Escovedo mustered the strength to begin teaching jiu-jitsu and MMA classes at a local L.A. Boxing gym. Six months in, Escovedo began to eye the ring again. The success of the sport and particularly his old stomping grounds in the WEC, which had secured a broadcast deal on Versus in 2008, proved great incentive.

Escovedo’s second chance didn’t come together overnight, though.

“A lot of things didn’t go right in training at first,” he says. “Any type of leg kick I would take, my legs would just shut down right away. Any type of cardio I did, my legs would shut down. I kind of had to train just so I could train.”

The silver lining has been that Escovedo has been forced to dedicate more time to his craft than in any other time during his career.

Escovedo has trained for MacDonald for the last 10 weeks, a schedule comparable to any top athlete in the sport today.

“My training’s all good. My weight-cutting is all teed up,” says Escovedo. “I just want to get in there and knock him around the ring.”

Printup, who kept in touch with the fighter throughout his ordeal, promised Escovedo a slot if he could get medically cleared. That promise will be fulfilled on Friday.

“I wasn't sure if he'd be able to fight again,” says Printup. “In reality, I was just more concerned for his regular quality of life -- but he was determined to fight again, to make it back to the WEC. Cole is back in there, in the ring, doing what he loves to do, what I believe he was born to do. Cole Escovedo is the epitome of a fighter.”

Feb 7, 2006
Randleman-Whitehead to Clash at Strikeforce

Former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman will make his promotional debut against Mike Whitehead at Strikeforce “Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz made Sherdog.com aware of the matchup on Thursday.

The talented but oft-injured Randleman (17-12) has fought only twice since 2005. The 37-year-old last appeared at Sengoku “Second Battle” in May 2008, when he defeated Ryo Kawamura by unanimous decision. A two-time national champion wrestler at Ohio State University, Randleman was inducted into the OSU Hall of Fame in 2004. The recently married father of two has lost seven of his past 10 fights but holds victories against Pedro Rizzo, 2006 Pride Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and reigning Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Randleman has not fought on American soil since he submitted to a Mauricio “Shogun” Rua kneebar at Pride 32 in October 2006.

Whitehead (23-6), meanwhile, has posted 14 wins in 15 fights dating back to his unanimous decision loss to Keith Jardine at UFC 57. The 27-year-old last appeared in October, when he submitted Leo Pla with a first-round guillotine choke at an M-1 Challenge event. He counts victories against Ben Rothwell, Mark Kerr and Krzysztof Soszynski among his 23 career conquests. Whitehead has never been submitted and has not been finished since his technical knockout loss to Brandon Vera at WEC 13 in January 2005.

A catchweight bout pairing former EliteXC champions Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields will headline the June 6 show, which will be carried live on Showtime. UFC veterans Nick Diaz and Scott Smith are also scheduled to collide.

Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields
Saturday, June 6
Scottrade Center
St. Louis

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields
Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith
Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead
Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs
Rafael Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman
Jesse Finney vs. Josh Baumgartner
Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods
Scott Ventimiglia vs. Lucas Lopes
Pat Benson vs. Dave Lehr Cochran
Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

Feb 7, 2006
A Blood Called Shooto

Nearly 25 years ago, Japanese professional wrestler Satoru Sayama -- better known as the original Tiger Mask -- had an idea about fighting, the seed of Shooto.

The first-ever amateur Shooto event was held in 1986, while 1989 marked the first-ever occasion of “professional Shooting.” All mixed martial arts observers know of Greek Pankration -- and the more modern tradition of Brazilian vale tudo -- but Shooto has the longest lineage of any single combat sports entity in contemporary MMA. Fittingly, that lineage will be celebrated this Sunday in Tokyo, when leading Shooto promoter Sustain stages its 20th anniversary event.

“Shooto” is an intriguing concept, its definition varying depending on who you ask. Although Sayama left the world of Shooto in 1986, his original vision is adhered to by authorities who view Shooto not as an organization but as an international sport unto itself, with its own system and rules, taking place from Japan to Australia to Brazil to Belgium and beyond.

For some MMA fans, following Shooto is proof of fanaticism about the sport and, for others, an unfathomable hobby for MMA elitists. One thing that is readily clear, however, is that those who are passionate about Shooto have an intensity about it that is completely incongruous with how most people celebrate other MMA entities. Even in the heyday of UFC-versus-Pride debacles, debates raged over extrinsic qualities of aesthetic production values, roster quality and fighter purses.

The world of Shooto, on the other hand, appears to have some invisible, intangible magic that grips its subjects at the soul. Few know it better than Taro Wakabayashi.

The Craftsman Behind the Curtain

Wakabayashi is a familiar face for those who have followed Shooto over the years. Strong jawed, short sleeved and bow-tied, he has been in the ring as a referee for well over a decade and has served in the Shooto offices for even longer. In 1992, at the age of 27, he left his job at Japanese advertising powerhouse Dentsu Tec to become a staff member with Akira Maeda’s Rings Fighting Network and, shortly after, a nascent K-1. In 1994, he entered the world of Shooto as a matchmaker and, over the last 15 years, has helped create MMA’s most comprehensive system.

He may be MMA’s most experienced referee, having officiated quite literally thousands of bouts between amateur and professional Shooto. However, he also serves as a professional Shooto matchmaker -- responsible for a good deal of the pairings on Sunday’s card -- as well as being in charge of the gym administration for all official Shooto gyms. In addition, he oversees Shooto’s sophisticated amateur system.

There are typically three to five amateur Shooto events per month, all over Japan. A young fighter who aspires to become a pro Shootor must fight his way through the amateurs, winning regional tournaments and performing well at the annual All-Japan tournaments in order to become a professional. This process has shaped and groomed a tremendous amount of Japan’s top MMA talent for the last 20 years, producing a list of names too expansive to enumerate.

More importantly, the world of Shooto represents one of the only opportunities available to those outside of Tokyo who want to become mixed martial artists. Virtually all MMA in Japan is centered in Tokyo, and for athletes in northern Hokkaido or rural Tottori, chances to embark on a career in MMA are slim to nil.

However, Shooto covers all 47 of Japan’s prefectures; it’s the only Japanese MMA entity even remotely that ambitious. Although the amateur system existed before Wakabayashi, its current state is owed to his craftsmanship.

“The actual system, the sport, the commission, it’s all quite strong,” Wakabayashi says. “I think that kind of minute detail is very appealing or attractive to people.”

Deep Cultural Ties

Neither “appealing” nor “attractive” does it justice. Although it’s unsuitable to term Shooto an organization because of its conception and system, it’s also not appropriate because it represents something much larger. With its rich history, its production of fighting talent, its comprehensive system and the democratic sensibilities that let any athlete determine his own destiny in fighting, Shooto has become an intense culture unto itself.

That statement may sound like asinine puffery. However, one need only look at this Sunday’s card to assess its truth. Why is it that the likes of Takanori Gomi, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Mizuto Hirota, Akiyo Nishiura and Kotetsu Boku -- all veterans of big-money Japanese MMA shows -- are fighting on the card for far more meager purses? Why is it that these established stars treat their returns to the Shooto ring as a proud duty, rather than an obligatory chore? Why did Takeshi Inoue give up the chance to fight in Sengoku’s featherweight tournament to defend his 143-pound crown? And why has Rumina Sato, during a 15-year career, refused to fight outside of Shooto-sanctioned events until he wins a Shooto world title?

Pride in a fighter’s home organization is nothing new, but to look at how Shooto-bred fighters talk about Shooto is starkly different. If you didn’t know much about MMA, you might think they were discussing their own offshoot religion. It’s the kind of deep cultural tie that makes T-shirt slogans like “Shooto is my life” and “Shooto and Truth never die” honest, appropriate and commonplace among Shootors. It’s the sort of gravity that makes event titles like “The Victory of the Truth” and “Alive Road” seem less like run-of-the-mill English and more like spiritual instruction.

“You know, I’m 43 years old. I don’t really know or understand what the younger generations see in Shooto,” Wakabayashi says with a chuckle. “I personally wanted to become a fighter when I was younger, and while that didn’t happen, I’m personally just trying to following my dream.”

Even if he finds it hard to believe, that’s not to say Wakabayashi is ignorant to how seriously fighters take Shooto.

“Even if these fighters eventually become famous and fight in the big shows, Shooto is like their home, somewhere they can always come back to,” he says. “Even if they start their own gym or dojo, their students are going to be fighting in amateur Shooto, and the cycle goes on and on.”
Wakabayashi does not need much prompting now; it’s like a chain reaction. The intangible aspects that make Shooto something larger than sport are something he’s undoubtedly paid mind to before.

“One of Shooto’s strong points is that it’s honest. Shooto means choosing the right thing, being honest, going in the right direction; it’s about propriety,” Wakabayashi says. “In Shooto, we do the things we do for the ‘right’ reasons. We don’t have fighters fighting opponents outside of their weight classes, we don’t have excessively young fighters fighting in the events, and we don’t pit experienced fighters against inexperienced fighters. We do things properly for the sake of martial arts.”

Wakabayashi takes a silent, thoughtful moment of introspection before he continues to carefully groom an analogy.

“The way I see it, Shooto is like a school,” he says. “Young people these days, especially in Japan, they like ‘virtual’ things, like video games and so forth. But in the martial arts, it’s very interactive. You need to learn all kinds of things: mannerisms, how to respect people and how to make friends. And when you fight, you can’t really lie. You can have a real life experience in Shooto.”

Wakabayashi himself is no different than the other fighters for whom Shooto touches something deeper within, embracing the same kind of spiritual slogans. He appears to be the author of some of them, as well; perhaps he’s Shooto’s answer to Publilius Syrus.

“I’ve always said this as a kind of personal catchphrase: ‘Shooto isn’t my work; Shooto is my life,’” Wakabayashi says.

Like any culture, Shooto has its own mythos. Shooto is replete with many suitable hero figures in its hall of champions, past and present, but one figure looms larger than all others.

“When I think of Shooto icons, I usually think of Sayama first. Without him, there would be no Shooto,” Wakabayashi says. “But after him, it would definitely be Yuki Nakai.”

A Hero Emerges

Nakai was the third 150-pound world champion of pro Shooto. He roared out of the Super Tiger Gym in 1993, emerging as Shooto’s finest young talent. When Shooto authorities put together the second Vale Tudo Open card in 1995, Nakai was the ideal candidate through which to prove the strength of Japanese fighters and especially Shootors.

The rest of the details are crystallized in MMA lore. Vastly outsized by the rest of the tournament field, Nakai took on notoriously lawless Dutchman Gerard Gordeau in the first round of the tournament. Gordeau brutally eye-gouged Nakai repeatedly over the course of their 27-minute bout. Nakai eventually emerged victorious via submission -- and even came back out in the semi-finals, eye bandaged, to submit American wrestler Craig Pittman. Nakai was trounced in the finals by Rickson Gracie but ultimately became legendary for his resolve.

Gordeau’s gouging permanently blinded Nakai in his right eye. Although he was forced to retire at the age of 25, Nakai concealed his disability from the public for two years, fearing the backlash that may result against the sport he loved so passionately.

Nakai is an even more complex figure for Wakabayashi. Not only is he a close friend, he is actually a business partner: it was Wakabayashi who co-founded the original Paraestra gym in Tokyo with Nakai in December 1997. In fact, Wakabayashi was the man who gave the original Tokyo gym the name “Paraestra,” and he still trains in that same gym today -- one of dozens of Paraestras all over the world.

“Gordeau was someone I’d known. I’d known him for years, and he was my friend,” Wakabayashi says. “I knew he had his good points, but I also knew he had the potential to do bad things during fights.”

There’s a true otherworldly reverence audible when anyone speaks about Nakai. Wakabayashi is no different.

“When that fight was proposed, I was against it. I knew that even if Gordeau was faced with a smaller opponent, he’d still have done anything to win,” he says. “But Nakai told me then, ‘I’ll be fine. Do you really think I’d lose to him?’ By him saying that, I couldn’t really oppose him from fighting.”

The Shootor's Passion

It makes things simple when Wakabayashi is asked what he sees as Shooto’s greatest moment.

“I think that for me, the greatest moment is when Nakai won against Gordeau. Because of the fight with Gordeau, we couldn’t give Nakai a Shooto license anymore; that was very difficult for me,” Wakabayashi laments.

It’s the ultimate cliché of literary analysis, the scourge of any well-bred English major. It’s invoked nauseatingly by a great many pseudo-intellects and try-too-hards desperately feigning deep thought. It’s the Christ narrative. Yet, for Nakai, it’s never a comparison for which one has to reach but rather the one that instantly implants itself in the mind.

Nakai’s story may be a devoutly secular one, but it isn’t particularly hard to understand why those in the world of Shooto see him as something greater than a fighter, trainer or originator. It’s monumental when titles such as “Shooto world champion,” “world-class trainer,” “the father of BJJ in Japan,” and “MMA pioneer” somehow do not seem grand enough for a particular person. However, Nakai’s selfless suffering -- his own passion -- is what both implicitly and explicitly informs the morality and mentality of Shooto.

To watch, Nakai makes the abstract ideas about “fighting spirit” more concrete. Anyone can physically watch his bouts and see him fight, unwavering, and understand sacrifice and conviction in combat; this symbolism is easy. However, no less important are the less obvious tenets of improvement and evolution that Nakai promoted by bringing Brazilian jiu-jitsu back to Japan, demanding to discover how it was that Gracie had beaten him.

The kanji characters used to write “Shooto” literally mean “learn” and “combat.” Surely then, Nakai is Shooto’s icon, its Christ.

“In previous Vale Tudo Open events, all our Japanese fighters had lost. Seeing Nakai fight, guys like Rumina Sato had decided not to leave Shooto, and a guy like [Hayato] ‘Mach’ Sakurai decided he wanted to be a part of Shooto,” Wakabayashi says.

“After watching Nakai fight, that’s when Shooto became my life.”

Feb 7, 2006
Two fighters miss weight at Bellator's Week 6 weigh-ins in Texas

Bellator Fighting Championships recently arrived for its Week 6 event, which takes place tonight at the Central Pavilion Arena in Robstown, Texas.

Tonight's event, which airs via 24-hour delay on ESPN Deportes, features the two semifinal matchups from the organization's featherweight grand prix.

Weigh-ins for the event took place on Thursday. One tournament competitor, Estevan Payan, and one non-tournament fighter, Hector Munoz, failed to make weight for the show.

Each fighter was penalized and fined a portion of his fight purse.

Tournament favorite Wilson Reis, a former EliteXC champ and Brazilian jiu-jitsu stand-out, successfully weighed in at 145.5 pounds.

The full weigh-in results for the event included:

TOURNAMENT BOUTS

* Joe Soto (145.5) vs. Wilson Reis (145.5)
* Estevan Payan* (148.5) vs. Yahir Reyes (145.5)

NON-TOURNAMENT BOUTS

* Diego Garijo (154.5) vs. Hector Munoz* (164.5)
* Luis Palomino (146.5) vs. Nick Gonzalez (146)
* Roberto Vargas (145) vs. Daniel Pineda (146)
* Dustin Phillips (145.5) vs. Jose Santibanez (146)
* Chris Spicer (186.5) vs. Bubba McDaniels (183.5)
* Ira Boyd (162) vs. Hector Urbina (174)

* - Missed weight and was penalized a portion of his fight purse