MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
David ‘The Crow’ Loiseau: The UFC is my home

“I really feel like (the UFC) is my home. I always had faith [that I would return]. I don’t know how it’s going to be, you know, things change. Of course, there is going to be a lot of Canadian fans in attendance, so I am going to have the home turf advantage, for sure. Maybe they will [remember me], maybe they won’t. But if they don’t, they will see something even better. So, no matter what they remember, they’ll be happy with what they see on the 18th. That’s a given. For now, all I see is Ed Herman, and I am very focused.”

Former UFC middleweight contender David Loiseau prepares for his return to the Octagon on April 18 when he faces The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 3 finalist Ed Herman at UFC 97 from The Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. “The Crow,” who trains with welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Patrick Cote, among others, will make his first appearance inside the Octagon since a unanimous decision loss to Mike Swick at UFC 63 in September 2006. Welcome back.

Feb 7, 2006
Belfort e Machida train together in Belém

Totally concentrated in the main challenge of his life - his fight for the UFC’s light heavyweight belt, on May 23 – the Brazilian Lyoto Machida received an unexpected visit in this last Sunday, in his training academy in Belém: Vitor Belfort, former UFC and Cage Rage champion, today fighting at Affliction, was passing trough the city. "I have some projects in Belém and good friends as well, like Lyoto. I toke the chance to train together and tried to help him in any way. Were two days of intense training and I hope that was useful for him", said Belfort.

For the satisfaction of his friend, Vitor doesn’t need to have doubts. His presence and advice of over ten years of experience in the world MMA left Lyoto impressed and grateful. "His comments are impressive. Details almost imperceptibles that can decide the fight. It was great that he came. I will try to put into practice all that he passed to me", said Machida. Vitor and Lyoto must meet again at the beginning of the next month, for the last week of trainings before Machida’s travel to the United States.

Feb 7, 2006
"Bully Beatdown" debut scores strong ratings for MTV and "Mayhem" Miller

The March 22 series premiere of "Bully Beatdown," which is hosted by veteran MMA fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller, scored a solid debut audience with a total of 1.4 million viewers.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained ratings information for the series debut from MTV.

According to the basic-cable station, "Bully Beatdown" was the No. 1 rated program in its timeslot among male viewers from 12 to 34 years of age.

The mixed-martial-arts-theme reality program features bully victims who enlist Miller to help confront their tormentors. Miller then challenges the bullies to exhibition fights (one three-minute round of grappling followed by a three-minute round of kickboxing) with actual MMA fighters. The bullies are offered cash prizes, but they can lose money if submitted, knocked down or knocked out. The lost money then goes to the bully victim.

The debut episode's bully was "Alan," who allegedly attacked his older (and smaller) brother multiple times. Alan was pitted against Australian King of the Cage and EliteXC veteran Tony Benello. (Check out the embedded clip for the full episode.)

The debut show scored mostly positive reviews from MMA fans.

According to the ratings information, "Bully Beatdown" increased the audience from its lead-in program, "Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory," by 10 percent. Additionally, "Bully Beatdown" increased ratings 100 percent when compared to its timeslot for the previous four weeks (which was occupied by the "College Humor Show").

The show's overall rating was 0.68 among viewers 18-49, 0.95 among males 18 to 49, and 1.30 among men 18 to 34. The figures do not include ratings for reruns of the show that have aired through the week.

Feb 7, 2006
C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor set for UFC 100 preliminary card

A middleweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 7" runner-up C.B. Dollaway (8-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and "TUF8" cast member Tom Lawlor (5-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will take place on the preliminary card of UFC 100.

A source close to one of the fighters today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that bout agreements were recently distributed and signed for the fight.

UFC 100 takes place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and airs on pay per view.

Dollaway returns to competition for the first time since December and looks for his third consecutive win. After suffering a first-round submission loss to Amir Sadollah at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale to lose the show's championship, Dollaway has posted back-to-back wins over Jesse Taylor (in a Submission of the Night effort) and Mike Massenzio (first-round TKO).

The Arizona Combat Sports member was a decorated wrestler at Arizona State University, where he earned All-American honors in 2006. He'll now face another accomplished wrestler.

Like Dollaway, Lawlor is also looking for his third consecutive win. The former light heavyweight, who told MMAjunkie.com of his intentions to drop to 185 pounds in December, scored a unanimous-decision win over Kyle Kingsbury at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale in December to earn a spot on the UFC's roster.

The Florida-based fighter excelled in wrestling as a three-time National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American at the University of Central Florida.

Feb 7, 2006
DAVE MENNE ON BELLATOR, DROPPING TO 170

The undeniable appeal of mixed martial arts and its growing popularity has many outlets trying their hand at the sport, regardless of the current state of the economy.

Latest among those to jump into the MMA foray is leading sports channel ESPN. Parented by the Walt Disney Company, ESPN’s Spanish speaking Deportes outlet will begin airing taped MMA events under the Bellator FC banner in April.

Among the talent the promotion helps hopes will bring attention to its tournament-based format is former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder Dave “The Warrior” Menne.

“I think it’s going to be a decent amount of exposure,” said Menne of Bellator. “They’re pushing into a new market and it’s always a great opportunity to be involved with ESPN.

“I can imagine there’d be some possibilities for things to expand, so it’s exciting.”

After bouncing around from promotion to promotion over the last couple years, Menne should spend the foreseeable future with Bellator after the contract he signed with them.

“It’s an exclusive deal to my understanding,” he explained. “They have tournament structure with three possible fights and afterwards I would like to stay as active as possible and keep my juices flowing.”

For his participation in Bellator, Menne will be making the move down from middleweight to 170 pounds, a weight class he has fought at, but has not had any extended time at in nearly eight years.

“I was more along the lines of a small 185-pounder, so it makes sense,” he said of the move down to welterweight.

“I went up to 185 initially after an opportunity that presented itself after (competing in) Kuwait (in 2001) and stuck there for some time. But bodily-wise, it makes more sense probably, height, weight and range to be a 170-pounder.”

Menne had been scheduled to compete on the promotion’s April 10 card at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut against Norman Parais, but it now appears he will be fighting on the April 17 Norman, Okla., show instead.

Either way, he is hoping to get back into the mix and make his mark after a disappointing spurt recently in which he was sidelined due to numerous injuries and health concerns, which have now been cleared up.

“Everything should go well as far as I know,” he stated. “(My health has) taken a step forward. I had a small fight six months ago that went well. It wasn’t an upper level deal, but I was testing my body out, and I feel 100-percent better than I did a year-and-a-half ago.

“I’m anxious to get out there again against well trained opponents and make forward progress. Right now it’s just (about) getting back into the field.”

With Bellator’s weekly output due to begin on April 3, bankable stars will be needed should it continue on and not fall by the wayside as many other upstart promotions have done. Should he truly be back to form, Menne might just be on one of those standout points to bank upon.

“Thanks to my sponsors RenovationSystems.com and RedRockFire.com,” he concluded. “I’m looking forward to the fight coming up. I’m excited, training hard and it’s time to step forward and higher.”

Feb 7, 2006
5 Oz. Video Interview: Wilson Reis says he will fight for Bellator and Strikeforce

FiveOuncesOfPain.com had the opportunity to catch up with former EliteXC bantamweight champion Wilson Reis at Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu United in Jenkintown, PA.

During the course of our one-on-one interview, Reis discussed his upcoming debut for the Bellator Fighting Championships on April 10 at the Mogehan Sun in Uncasville, CT. The jiu-jitsu black belt is scheduled to face Henry Martinez during the first round of Bellator’s eight-man featherweight Grand Prix.

Reis was announces as having signed an exclusive contract with Bellator this past January but it was revealed several weeks later that his exclusive contract with EliteXC had been acquired by Strikeforce during the latter company’s acquisition of select assets from ProElite.

During the interview, Reis revealed that his management has worked things out with Strikeforce officials and that he will be able to compete for both promotions during the course of 2009.

Below is the complete video of our exclusive interview with Reis:

Feb 7, 2006
Round 5 CEO balancing black eyes and head size with company growth

As the president of any large company can certainly attest, the day-to-day operations of an organization can leave a never-ending list of decisions to be made.

The work life of Damon Lau, president of the MMA collectible figuring company Round 5, is no different.

As Lau recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), important decisions regarding whether or not Rich Franklin's figurines should have a black eye and just how big Tito Ortiz's head should be are all in a day's work.

"[The fighters] get involved in every single thing," Lau said. "We sit down with them and go, 'Hey, guys. You get to create this thing in any image you want. What do you want to do?'"

With Round 5 having already released figurines using the likenesses of Ortiz, Franklin, Matt Hughes, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Anderson Silva, Sean Sherk and Wanderlei Silva, Lau has learned to ask the right questions.

"I remember telling Rich Franklin, 'How about we add a black eye, your perma-black eye on your figure?' Lau said. "He goes, 'Uh, I don't know about that.'"

It could have been plastic cauliflower ears

So the Franklin figurine was released without the frequently seen blemish, but that hasn't stopped the first two series of characters from being a success for the Canadian company.

"We've got over 35 fighters on our roster," Lau said. "We're in over 3,500 stores across North America. We have distribution in the U.K., Japan, and we should open up France in Brazil at the end of the year.

"We're gunning for 10,000 (stores by the end of the year). Hopefully everything with the economy, if it turns out well, we'll hit that 10,000 mark. But it's safe to say we'll be in anywhere from 7,500 to 10,000 stores."

It's a huge mark for a product that started on a whim.

"It started in the Spring of 2007," Lau said. "I own a mid-sized advertising agency based in Toronto, Canada. Just through that business we had a lot of opportunities to work with people who are athletes in MMA, one of them being Randy Couture.

"Pretty much what happened was Randy was flying into town for a promotional appearance that he had to do. He goes, 'Damon, do you want to hook up for dinner?' I said, 'Absolutely. Let's sit down and have dinner.'"

That casual appointment turned into the beginning of the Round 5 figurines.

"Over dinner we're just talking about funny business ideas that we thought would be really great for the sport of MMA," Lau said. "The sport was obviously seeing such a big boom at that time, and Randy said to me, 'Wouldn't it be really great if somebody came up with plastic cauliflower ears for fans to wear at fights?'

"I thought that was hilarious, and I said to him, 'Wouldn't it be kind of neat if people came up with action figures for MMA guys?' We both sort of went, 'Hey, that's a good idea.' Randy said to me, 'If you ever decide to do anything like that, just let me know.'

"He was the first license we signed."

Compensation, creative control and the UFC

The company quickly expanded, and a third series of figurines is set to be released in May with current UFC champ Frank Mir, former champs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Andrei Arlovski, and legendary referee "Big" John McCarthy as the subjects. A fourth series will be issued in July with Gina Carano and Fedor Emelianenko.

Lau said getting subjects hasn't been difficult.

"Something that's really unique about the program that we do with the fighters is that we make sure it makes sense for everybody," Lau said. "We pay probably four to five times the normal royalty amounts in the toy industry, which is obviously completely against the grain. But we feel it's great for the fighters and it's great for the fans.

"The fighters are getting compensated for the contracts they're signing. It's not just, 'Sign our contract, sign over your likeness, never see anything ever again.'"

Lau said the benefits go beyond simple compensation.

"We give [the fighters] the ability to approve all the artwork, so they know their likeness isn't being used in a bad way," Lau said. "They actually get actively involved in all of the product development. They get to pick the pose, take a look at their faces, pick the quotes on the packaging, all that sort of stuff.

"Even beyond that, we let the fighters sell sponsorship spots on the shorts of their figurine. I think the program, moving forward, has always made sense from the very, very beginning, which is why we've gone so far in such a quick amount of time. We haven't had any problems, even today, signing licenses."

"Even today" is an important point, as the UFC's merchandising rights rules have become a hot topic in the business side of the industry over the past several months.

"The bottom line is I've never even spoken to the UFC," Lau said. "A lot of people pit [the UFC and Round 5] against each other and say that we're enemies and want to take each other's contracts. Really, I've never even spoken with them.

"I'm a really big fan of the organization, but our business model was always to work with the fighters. That's always been the direction, and thankfully enough we've been doing fantastic. The fighters all signed with us because we offer a great program."

Even as the UFC partnered with Jakks Pacific, Inc., in 2008, Round 5's figurines have continued to thrive in the collectible marketplace. And Lau believes his products will continue to succeed even when Jakks' products are released later this year.

"We know that all of our clientele is the typical person that watches MMA right now," Lau said. "So it's the 16-to-40-year-old, and the people that buy our product are going to be the people who end up putting it in their cubicle, leaving it in their collector's case, sitting it on top of the TV.

"I think Jakks' positioning is really to create a fully articulated toy. Meanwhile for us, I would say, 'They're the toy, we're the collectible.' Do I say that children don't buy our stuff? Absolutely not. They could be buying it. But the purpose of building it was never for kids."

In fact, Lau hinted at the release of a new product that may prove even more collectible.

"Actually, probably closer to the end of this year you're going to see us launching a new product line-up, which is actually going to be a full, super-realistic style," Lau said. "We're sort of leaning more towards the collectible element, and I think JAKKS is doing something completely different."

One decision down

So Round 5 continues to grow despite potentially restrictive contracts and the forthcoming debut of a rival product. Lau attributes the growth to the boom of MMA as well as his company's commitment to a quality product.

"We keep revising and changing the figure until everyone is happy," Lau said. "I think that's the bottom line.

"Nothing comes out perfect the first time. It's a lot of hard work. The process of creating figurines and collectibles, it's crazy. Hundreds and hundreds of people are involved in the process."

And when the process was complete, no, the Ortiz figurine did not have difficulty standing due to its top-heavy nature.

"We didn't have a hard time with that, but one thing's for sure: We actually did make the head bigger," Lau said. "We discussed it, and [Ortiz] said, 'Listen, I'm known for my big head. Make it bigger.'"

Feb 7, 2006
Broken hand forces Pettis out of WEC 40 bout with Njokuani, Palaszewski in

A broken hand suffered in a recent training session has forced Anthony Pettis (6-0) out of his WEC 40 bout with Anthony Njokuani (9-2), a source close to the fighter today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com)

In his place steps IFL and WEC veteran Bart Palaszewski (30-12), who takes the bout on just 10 days' notice.

WEC 40 takes place April 5 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. Although the night's main card airs on Versus, the Njokuani vs. Palaszewski bout is slated for the un-aired preliminary card.

Pettis, a veteran of the Wisconsin-based Gladiators Cage Fighting organization, was going to make his WEC debut at the event. He is now expected to be out four to six weeks with the injury, though the timeframe is just an early estimate from an initial medical examination.

In his place steps Palaszewski, once of the biggest stars in the now-defunct IFL organization. However, Palaszewski has struggled as of late with four losses in his past six fights. The most recent came at WEC 39, where he suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Ricardo Lamas.

He'll look to get back in the win column against Njokuani, a Nigerian-born Muay Thai champion who suffered a submission loss to Benson Henderson at WEC 38. It was Njokuani's WEC debut after appearances for organizations such as Art of War and Ultimate Texas Showdown.

Feb 7, 2006
"King Mo" battled through more than just Kawamura for Sengoku win

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (4-0) knows his recent unanimous decision win over Ryo Kawamura at "Sengoku Seventh Battle" was not the best performance he's turned in during a blossoming, six-month-old career.

As Lawal recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), it certainly wasn't the way he planned for the fight to unfold.

But then again, what can you expect from a guy working with one functioning knee?

"I'm getting an MRI done," Lawal said. "I think the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) is gone."

Athletes in many sports have previously fought through an injury such as Lawal's, but the 28-year-old had one additional challenge as well.

"The problem is I have no PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) already," Lawal said. "And now my ACL may be gone."

While Lawal's performance in the bout with Kawamura certainly paled in comparison to his three prior outings, understanding that two major ligaments in his knee were completely ineffective explains a bit about the fight.

"The thing is, I hurt [my knee] a week before the fight, so I couldn't really train," Lawal said. "I was just icing it, and I was struggling to walk. So I was like, 'Well if I can get to the point where I can just bend my leg a little bit, I can beat this dude just wrestling.'

"The way I trained for this fight, I was going to try and knock his ass out, or at least drop him and submit him. But that was hard enough because I couldn't bend my leg. So I was just trying to slam him here or there when I could - just end the fight any way I could."

Lawal's muscular strength is obvious at first glance of the light-heavyweight's frame. So with a bum knee, Lawal was still able to power through many wrestling techniques.

However, striking was a different story.

"I couldn't get any power behind my punches," Lawal said. "When I would step forward my knee would buckle.

"I wanted to finish the fight. It was just hard because when I would get his back, I couldn't put the hooks in. And I couldn't do nothing because of my leg. He crawled through the ropes, and I started punching him. [But] I couldn't punch him the way I wanted to because his head was outside the ropes."

Lawal was so intent on finishing the fight that he actually created further problems for his ailing body.

"The last slam I saw his eyes roll back in his head," Lawal said. "I tried to throw a punch, and I missed, and I hit the ground. Actually I think I broke my hand.

"That [expletive] was funny because I was trying to kill him with that right hand, and I hit the ground twice. My hand started hurting."

Despite the physical adversity - and despite dealing with his own pre-fight version of "Greasegate" when World Victory Officials officials insisted on wiping his body down with water and alcohol - Lawal persevered for the victory.

Now facing a possible surgery, and a four-to-six-month recovery time, the question becomes, "When will Lawal fight again?"

"My leg is so strong that I can still squat, but I have a hard time walking down stairs right now," Lawal said. "I'm trying to think if I can get my leg strong enough. My leg is strong, but I'm trying to get it strong enough to where my leg can support itself without surgery."

And no Lawal fight would be complete without a proper grand entrance, another key reason Lawal is intent on recovering properly.

"That's the main thing," Lawal joked. "I couldn't get my intro down. I couldn't hit my moves like I wanted to."

But with each win, no matter how it is reached, Lawal continues to build up an impressive resume and star power in Japan. However, at least for now, Lawal insists he's still learning the ropes.

"I'm still up-and-coming," Lawal said. "The big names in Sengoku are really (Satoru) Kitaoka and (Jorge) Santiago. I'm just a fun person, so I make this [expletive] fun, but those two are the big names with Sengoku.

"I'm just an up-and-coming fighter. They're the champions."

Feb 7, 2006
WEC 40: TAKEYA MIZUGAKI CHALLENGING THE BEST

For fans in the United States the name Takeya Mizugaki may not ring a bell just yet, but on April 5 the Japanese fighter is hoping to make a big impression as he makes his WEC debut in a title fight against bantamweight champion Miguel Torres at WEC 40 in Chicago.

Mizugaki got the call just a few weeks back when original challenger Brian Bowles was forced out of the fight with a back injury. Now the former Shooto and Cage Force fighter is ready to show that he belongs with all the best 135-pound fighters in the world, and that's in the WEC.

"I think WEC is the best in the world at this 135-pounds and under weight class. That is why I chose to fight in the WEC," Mizugaki told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview.

Impressed by Torres' skills in the cage, Mizugaki knows he's got a big mountain to climb, but he believes by doing the right research and formulating a good gameplan, he can go back to Japan with WEC gold around his waist.

"I've seen a couple of his fights, it's going to be a tough fight especially at his home town, but in a way that makes everything more fun for me too," said Mizugaki. "From now on, I am going to start searching for his weakness by watching his fights. But he didn't lose much, so I know it's going to be difficult."

Mizugaki isn't concerned about stepping into the fight against Torres on short notice. He believes that his timing and training will put him over the top when it comes fight time on April 5.

One big advantage Mizugaki will have stepping into the fight that many other newcomers to the WEC would not have is cage experience. Never having lost fighting in a cage, the Japanese based fighter has extra confidence that he's ready for the challenge.

"I think my past experiences in the cage would help me a lot in this fight," Mizugaki stated. "I know how to get good position off the fence and all. Also, I am undefeated in the cage, so mentally I can enter the Octagon."

With the WEC's bantamweight division stocking a majority of the top 135-pounders in the world, and with Miguel Torres as champion and top dog in the weight class, Mizugaki believes that winning the gold will solidify his place among the best as well.

"That means I will become number one fighter in the world at 135-pounds and under and that also means I have achieved one of my goals as pro MMA fighter," Mizugaki said about what it would mean to be the WEC champion.

For his final days of training, Mizugaki also wanted to thank the people and sponsors around him that supported him and helped him get to this fight against Miguel Torres.

"My manager is working on sponsorship. One is a Sprawl. I believe they make best fight shorts in the world, and JONNY BEE, the apparel company based in Tokyo that has been supporting me for years, also American Spartan and Touche Salon," he stated in closing.

Takeya Mizugaki will face Miguel Torres for the WEC bantamweight championship on April 5 in Chicago.

Feb 7, 2006
Showtime and Strikeforce to launch new fight series titled “ShoMMA”

The concept of ShoXC, a proving ground for young fighters hoping to fight for the major leagues, is alive and well.
Sources speaking on a condition of anonymity have alerted The Fight Network of a new series called “ShoMMA,” which will tentatively debut on May 15.
With a concept similar to that of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, a place for EliteXC prospects to hone their skills, ShoMMA will feature prospects for the California-based Strikeforce promotion.
The first ShoMMA event will be televised on Showtime and is set to emanate from the Savemart Center in Fresno, Calif.
No bouts have been announced.
ShoXC previously featured the likes of consensus top-10 lightweight Eddie Alvarez, the last reigning EliteXC bantamweight titleholder Wilson Reis and the final EliteXC 160-pound kingpin K.J. Noons.
The farm league promotion was a proving ground for prospects such as Dave Herman, Jon Murphy, Muhsin Corbbrey, Thomas Denny and female standout Shayna Baszler before they debuted for the defunct Elite Xtreme Combat group.
Additionally, sources have informed The Fight Network that Strikeforce will hold its next Showtime card on June 6 in St. Louis, Missouri. The last reigning EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler is tentatively slated to compete on the card vs. Jake Shields, EliteXC’s last reigning welterweight champion.

Feb 7, 2006
Ricardo Arona Interview

Without fighting since 2007, Ricardo Arona meet his friends Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira and Vitor Belfort and a seminar yesterday, and spoke with TATAME Magazine about his plans to MMA in 2009. With ADCC’s postponement, the fighter plans on back fighting before September, and commented his Pride opponents future fights, Shogun Rua against Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva with Forrest Griffin. Check below the complete interview with Arona, who spoke about his plans for the MMA, the seminar, the reunion with Minotouro and Belfort, ADCC and his relationship with the BTT.

It happened an interesting meeting here with you, Vitor Belfort, Rogério Minotouro... How long didn’t this meeting happen?

Man, I was emotional and everything. There was a long time that I didn’t see Vitor, we three have a story... It was emotional, much better than I imagined.

I know is too far from your house, but do you plan going at Minotauro Team to train with them?
I already told them that I’ll go there. I returned to the trainings, hurt a finger, those little things that happen in training, but one or two weeks ago I already recovered my movements and I’ll go there to be near my friends, that’s what a want.

And the training center inside your house? How is it?
I have the idea to of constructing a gym, a training center inside my house, but it will take a while. Before that, I already made in my house a training center to put my friends together, is a good area with a ring, good to train only with the friends, for now. There’s something there, but is a little restricted.

You were going to fight the ADCC, but it was postponed to September. You said you would sign fot a MMA fight before... Is it right?
I received proposals, as I said, of Affliction, Dream and other events, but I just know that the ADCC was postponed to September and this moved a lot with my plans, it wasn’t what I wanted, no way. I don’t want to wait until September to fight, I will renegotiate before that to see if I fight the best proposal.

United States or Japan?
Man, actually a fighter has to go always in the best proposal, but today, I think is better for me to try America, United States.

UFC already spoke with you?
No, that’s what I said. Ultimate didn’t contacted me. I had contacts from Affliction, Dream, but had no position of the Ultimate.

Are you thirsty to return?
I’m thirsty to return, witch is the most important thing. The important is the guy to be thirsty wanting to return.

Do you continue at BTT?
As I didn’t return training yet, I had no contact with them and a conversation about anything. I’m planning my return, what I’ll do in terms of contract to see how I will find myself in terms of training, because I have a space that is mine, but I didn’t get to any decision in the BTT yet.

Maurício “Shogun” will face Chuck Liddell coming from a bad fight against Coleman. How do you think it will be?
In MMA, every fight is a surprise. As a friend of mine said, I think that Shogun is mathematically more complete than Liddell in terms of ground, movement, but Chuck Liddell is a very tough guy, very experienced. So, I can’t say who will be the best, I think both must be well prepared, Shogun can no longer run out of gas anymore and Liddell will need to develop his game a little, because he always do the same game, witch comes out right, but is very predictable. Anyone can fall down, for sure.

Wanderlei decided to drop the weight after the defeat to Quinton Jackson. Did you see that fight?
I often say that the easiest fighter to be beaten is the more predictable one. I think there are fighters that adopt the same tactic of fight since they started fighting, so this should be revised, should be changed, because what Quinton did was to improve the Boxing, gained more confidence and came to fight with Wanderlei that he already knew, Wanderlei that he knew what would do. In my opinion, that defeat came because it was predictable to Quinton Jackson know who he would fight. Fighters like Wanderlei and others, who do the same kind of fight since the beginning of the MMA, need to change their tactics, change their game a little, surprise, because this is the best weapon.

Now he’ll face Rich Franklin with at a catchweight fight. Do you think he will be well dropping weight?
Look, he has in his favor a whole life where he fought heavier guys, had athletes much more powerful against him... Than I think is in his favor. But he is taking a category of much speed, much spin and that requires much physical condition. Finally, he has in his favor be fighting with people relatively weaker, lighter, but also has all the agility against him, then he has to train a lot more too.

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM.9 On May 26th?!

According to the website of TBS DREAM.9 will take place on May 26th. This is the first primetime tv-slot event of the year for DREAM. It will feature the return of KID and there should be some other big names coming out for this one.

Feb 7, 2006
GP Match-Ups Announced! Kharitonov Returns

Additional fights for the DREAM.8 card were announced in a press conference today. In the non-GP Sergey Kharitonov returns to take on Jeff Monson in a Heavyweight fight, The rumored Murilo Ninja will take on Korean Yoon Dong Sik, and Shungo Oyama will replace Zelg Galesic to take on Kyokushin fighter Andrews Nakahara.

In the Welterweight GP Yuya Shirai will face Jason High, Marius Zaromskis will take on Seichi Ikemoto, and BJJ black belt Andre Galvao will make his DREAM debut against John Alessio.

Update: An additional fight might be added which would then include a known foreign fighter.

OLYMPIA DREAM.8 Welterweight GP 2009 1st Round
Date: April 5th, 2009
Place: Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan

Welterweight GP Fight:
Shinya Aoki vs. Hayato “Mach” Sakurai
Andre Galvao vs. John Alessio
Yuya Shirai vs. Jason High
Marius Zaromskis vs. Seichi Ikemoto

Featherweight GP Fight:
Hideo Tokoro vs. DJ.taiki

88 kg/194 lbs Fight:
Minowaman vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Middleweight Fights:
Andrews Nakahara vs. Shungo Oyama
Murilo Ninja vs. Yoon Dong Sik

Heavyweight Fight:
Sergey Kharitonov vs. Jeff Monson

Feb 7, 2006
Art Of War FC 11! MMA In China

The Chinese MMA event Art Of War FC is finally back after not holding an event since 2007. What makes this organization unique are the rules which you could say are PRIDE rules with elbows. The 11th event will take place on March 28th in Chaoyang Stadium in Beijing.

Feb 7, 2006
Silva Fixing ‘Defects,’ Still Aiming to Entertain

Wanderlei Silva has lost four of his last five fights, and you wouldn’t have wanted to miss a single one of them.

The Axe Murderer’s dominant days are done, but he still brings it in the cage. His most recent performance wasn’t one of his best. It ended decisively, like most of his matches win or lose, when Quinton Jackson knocked him out 3:21 into the first round of their Dec. 27 bout at UFC 92.

“I lost my last fight by a technical error, an error that I’ve committed for a long time,” Silva said. “I paid so much for it. I lost six months of work due to throwing open punches and took a punch on the chin.”

To correct the error, Silva, 32, has returned to the basics. He has worked on his jab, footwork and takedowns.

“On top of that base, I hope to get rid of some defects, such as exposing myself too much,” he said. “Sometimes I fight with my heart, then I open myself way too much. I'm trying to fix this and be aggressive in the same way, but in a more technical and more secure way. They are vices that I have had for too long and are not easy to correct. Because when the adrenaline hits and you start to give and take punches, you go on instinct. So, where possible, I'm structuring myself to leave these vices and acquire a new and more refined technique, to adapt to this new time of MMA and head back to the top because this is what I want. I’ll really show a different game now in the next fight.”

The next fight for Silva is June 13 in Cologne, Germany. He’ll meet Rich Franklin in the UFC 99 main event.

“The fights I had seen of his before were only against Anderson Silva, and he could not show much because Anderson dominated him completely. But now I have the other fights to study and saw that he is a complete fighter who knows how to take down, fight standing on the feet, has good takedown defense and is well rounded in submissions. I think he's a great opponent. He’s a tough guy, and I’m training a lot, everyday, sparring.”

Franklin is yet another quality opponent for Silva, who’s fought only top-notch opposition since his return to the Octagon. His stint so far has included Jackson, Keith Jardine and Chuck Liddell. At that level of competition, you’re going to lose some fights. Losing or winning, however, isn’t everything to Silva.

“I want to be tested until my limit,” he said. “I want to face the best and always provide a good show for my fans. Sometimes I am criticized because of this. Of course we always want to win, and train for it, but I also care about the quality of my performance. I want to provide a great spectacle for those who are at home. A lot of people came and said, especially after that last fight, that I must retire. I am very young and I still have something to show. I listen to people, [when] I enter the Octagon, saying, ‘We will watch this because this will be a good fight.’ While people keep saying that, I will continue fighting.”

Delivering a quality show would seem to be of particular importance against Franklin. The fight is the marquee bout in the UFC’s first foray into Germany.

“I will not do bad. I know my responsibility,” Silva said. “They gave me a good guy with an aggressive style of fighting, who likes to go forward. I do not run away from the challenge, do not run away from the game. I get it. I’ll show all my heart, all my technique and make a great show for everybody. I will be there to knock out or be knocked out.”

Feb 7, 2006
Kennell replaces Montoya, Banks vs. Royster off at April 11 Strikeforce event

Along with the announcement of "Abongo" Humphrey vs. Brett Rogers as the final televised bout for "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz," the organization also released some minor revisions for the April 11 card's un-aired preliminary card.

Waylon Kennell (4-1) steps in for Richard Montoya (6-5) to face Eric Lawson (8-2), while a previously scheduled bout between Yohan Banks (2-1) and Marcus Royster (0-1) was scrapped from the card.

"Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" takes place April 11 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The main card airs live on Showtime.

Kennell, a three-time Total Combat veteran, has fought five times in California and Nevada since his August 2007 debut. Kennell has never fought beyond the first round, and his last outing was an 18-second knockout win over Nate Moore in October 2008.

Lawson, a four-time Strikeforce veteran, is currently riding a four-fight win streak. Owning five submission victories among his eight career wins, Lawson was last in action in November 2008 rear-naked choke win over Tony Johnson at "Strikeforce: Destruction."

Strikeforce officials were not immediately available for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) to clarify the reasons for the changes.

The full card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock
* Champ Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez (for Strikeforce lightweight title)
* Benji Radach vs. Scott Smith
* Hitomi Akano vs. Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos
* Ron "Abongo" Humphrey vs. Brett Rogers

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Buck Meredith vs. Luke Rockhold
* Waylon Kennell vs. Eric Lawson
* Raul Castillo vs. Brandon Michaels
* Zak Bucia vs. James Terry
* Shingo Kohara vs. Jeremy Tavares

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator books April 24 "Night of Heavyweights" date in Colorado

Upstart promotion Bellator Fighting Champinships continues to fill-out the organization's 12-week taping schedule with today's announcement of its fourth event.

Billed as "The Night of Heavyweights," the event takes place April 24 at the World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colo., and airs via one-day tape delay on ESPN Deportes.

Former EliteXC contender Dave "Pee Wee" Herman will headline the card, while UFC veterans Dan Evensen, Eddie Sanchez and Sherman Pendergarst will also appear.

While Bellator's initial 12-week run will include eight-man tournaments in the featherweight, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight divisions, the heavyweight bouts on the April 24 are all non-tournament affairs.

The initial bouts announced for the card include Josh Barnes (3-1) vs. Herman (13-1), Evensen (10-4) vs. Rauol Romero (3-1), Eddie Sanchez (8-3) vs. Jay White (4-5), Tyler East (0-0) vs. Amedio Viola (0-1) and Joey Beltran (5-2) vs. Pendergarst (11-12).

A 130-pound women's affair between Molly Helsel (7-7-1) vs. Angela Hayes (1-5), as well as a lightweight tournament semi-final, will also grace the card.

Barnes fought once under the ProElite banner with an October 2008 win over Jeremy Norton at a ShoXC event. Barnes will also looking to bounce back from defeat after suffering a 35-second loss to Donnell Sykes at a Total Fight Challenge event. The 30-year-old's three career wins have all come via first-round stoppage.

Herman, the former EliteXC contender who once referred to himself as "Blueberry Muffin," will be looking to rebound from a disappointing performance in his first career defeat. The January loss to Mu Bae Choi under the Sengoku banner snapped a streak of 13-straight stoppage wins for the Indiana native.

Evensen will be looking to break a two-fight losing streak that resulted in his departure from the UFC. The Norwegian striker entered the organization on a four-fight win-streak, but he then dropped back-to-back TKO bouts to Patrick Barry and Cheick Kongo.

Romero is currently riding a three-fight win streak in the Mexican-based MMA Xtreme organization, with all three wins having come by submission. Romero debuted in 2000 with a loss to Evan Tanner but took a six-year break before making his return to competitive action.

A six-time veteran of the UFC, Sanchez will be fighting for the first time since his release for the organization. The 26-year-old's eight career wins have all come via stoppage, but Sanzhez will be looking to rebound from back-to-back losses to Justin McCully and Antoni Hardonk.

Fighting out of Xtreme Couture, White is currently riding a two-fight win streak. The current run comes on the heels of four-straight losses, including two defeats at the hands of UFC veteran Jeff Monson. Only one of White's nine career bouts has gone past the first round.

Six-foot-six Texan East will be making his professional debut, while Viola will be looking to rebound from an October 2007 loss to Shane del Rosario at a ShoXC event.

Known as "The Mexicutioner," Beltran has fought seven times since his February 2007 professional debut. Four of the NCFC Fight Team fighter's five career wins have come by TKO.

Pendergarst is a one-time UFC fighter who has fought in a multitude of organizations since his April 2005 debut. While "The Tank" entered his UFC 65 bout with an 8-3 record, Pendergarst has gone just 3-9 since.

An NCFC Fight Team fighter, Helsel will be looking to build on an October 2008 submission win over Amber Tackett. The Total Combat, BodogFIGHT and HOOKnSHOOT veteran has faced Sarah Kaufman, Carina Damm, Julie Kedzie, Hitomi Akano, Lisa Ward and Ginele Marquez, among others, in her six-year career.

While Hayes record is far from impressive, her losses have come to such female stalwarts as Julie Kedzie, Jennifer Tate, Tonya Evinger and Ginele Marquez. The bout till be her first since an October 2008 unanimous-decision loss to Sophie Bagherdi.

The April 24 card marks Bellator's fourth event in a 12-weeks series. The event will air via one-day tape delay in a two-hour time slot on ESPN Desportes.

The announced card includes:

* 155 tourney: Lightweight Semi-final No. 1
* Non-tourney: Josh Barnes vs. Dave Herman
* Non-tourney: Dan Evensen vs. Rauol Romero
* Non-tourney: Eddie Sanchez vs. Jay White
* Non-tourney: Tyler East vs. Amedio Viola
* Non-tourney: Joey Beltran vs. Sherman Pendergarst
* Non-tourney: Angela Hayes vs. Molly Helsel

Feb 7, 2006
All UFC 96 drug tests come back negative

All 11 fighters who were tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse have tested clean, Ohio Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato confirmed in an email to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

MMAjunkie.com recently requested and today received the results from the Ohio Athletic Commission.

The event took place March 7 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio and aired live on pay per view.

The tested fighters included Quinton Jackson, Shane Carwin, Matt Brown, Matt Hamill, Gray Maynard, Tamdan McCrory, Kendall Grove, Jason Day, Jason Brilz, Brandon Vera and Shane Nelson.

All of the above fighters, except for Day, were winners at UFC 96. (The OAC usually tests all the night's winners and the loser of one random undercard bout.)

All fighters were tested for drugs of abuse (such as marijuana and cocaine), as well as anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancers.