MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Marlon Sandro at Sengoku featherweight GP

Pancrase’s featherweight champion, Marlon Sandro already knows when he’ll do his debut at Sengoku. The Nova União black belt was the first one to be announced to Sengoku’s featherweight tournament, which will have its first phase disputed on March 20th, in Japan. "My expectations are the best possible. This is the second time that I’ll fight a GP and I hope I can make the same thing I did at first, when I was champion", said Marlon, who is unbeaten in his career after 12 fights.

Sengoku didn’t announce the names of the other participants yet, but Marlon knows that he’ll only find tough opponents. "I still don’t know who will be at the GP, but they said they’ll call athletes from Pancrase, Shooto, WEC and Deep. The only one I know is Takaia, who is a tough guy. They wanted to put me to fight with him last year, but they thought it was better for me if I fight for the Pancrase title first", said the athlete.

Feb 7, 2006
BHJJC explains relationship with Werdum

According to news released by the Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu Club that the fighter Fabricio Werdum would train and give classes at the academy, Marcus Vinicius di Luccia, BHJJC leader, called TATAME.com to explain the information.

“Werdum is an athlete and trains at Chute Boxe USA, which is his team. He’ll not give regular classes in BHJJC. Werdum will visit BHJJC for some sporadic training, according to his will. He’ll give a seminar and private lessons, if he wants, as ever. I never wanted to create a conflict between Werdum and his team. I just tried to help him as a friend, but it seems that I was misunderstood. I hope that, with this, everything is clear and that the incident doesn’t undermine his relationship with his team and even our friendship. I'm cheering for Werdum to sign with a big event and find again the path of victory", explains Marcus.

Feb 7, 2006
Akihiro Gono updated his condition in his blog

Akihiro Gono updated his blog and talked about his condition.

** January 11 **
I have been training intensively in wrestling for my fight against Jon Fitch at UFC 94 on January 31. I have been training how to react in the guard position on the ground. I have been training with 2 fighters who are from wrestling backgrounds. I feel like I haven't gained any wrestling techniques in the last 16 years since i started MMA. I think I can be stronger if I work hard on improving my wrestling technique. I get irritated by being tackled and taken down from behind. But I'm figuring out the solution day by day. Based on my 16 years of experience I can learn quickly. In addition to grappling training, I working on striking and physical training such as weights, speed, and stamina.

*** January 14 **
Geez, I caught a cold even though I was trying not to. I've been training well these days, but my throat started to feel sore yesterday. I was worried and went to see a doctor. I was relieved to find out that this was not a symptom of the flu. However, I'm disappointed that I have failed to maintain my optimal condition as a professional fighter.

*** January 17 ***
I felt much better today and started my training again. I have only 2 weeks before the fight. I do all I can do to get in shape physically and mentally for the fight. I will be ready to stay calm and handle any situation during the fight.

Feb 7, 2006
Barnett and Yvel Featured on HDNet’s ‘Inside MMA’
videolink: http://sherdog.com/videos/recent/Barnett-and-Yvel-Featured-on-HDNets-Inside-MMA-1882
Affliction "Day of Reckoning" opponents Josh Barnett and Gilbert Yvel stop by to talk about their upcoming bout. Also joining Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten on the panel was Sports Illustrated writer and Blood in the Cage author, Jon Wertheim.

And as always, Ron Kruck offers the latest in MMA news.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
lol seriously, I was really looking forward to seeing him. Hopefully it was just ring rust, but I'm glad I didn't buy this.

Also, Rampage vs. Jardine wtf? Fight makes no sense to me, if the winner of Lyoto and Silva is getting the title shot then why not have Rampage fight Forrest when he's back.

Jan 2, 2004
I don't know how that fight got fight of the night. I guess it just shows you it a was a terrible card.

I think Chuck is going to knock Shogun out. Shogun needs to prove something in the United States, fast. Maybe he can by pounding out Chuck, but I don't think he has it in him.

Jan 10, 2008
Yep if they give him chuck in his next fight dude will get KTFO. I am sure they will give him (shogun)another warm up fight after his performance last night dont you think.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Yep if they give him chuck in his next fight dude will get KTFO. I am sure they will give him (shogun)another warm up fight after his performance last night dont you think.
I'm not sure if UFC announced it yet but I've read a few places saying it's happening at UFC 97 in April. I don't think that's enough time for Shogun to get his cardio up to par with the way he looked.

also, from saturday:

I'm hoping Dana signs him, they really need a big striker in the heavyweights.