MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
HILL OUT 18 MONTHS; OTHER MEDICAL UPDATES

A night of jaw-dropping injuries and stoppages at UFC’s “Fight for the Troops” were reflected in medical suspensions issued by the North Carolina Boxing Authority on Thursday.

Corey Hill is suspended indefinitely for the visible left leg fracture he suffered after opponent Dale Hartt checked his leg kick in the opening exchange of the second round. Following a referee stoppage, he was taken to a nearby hospital after the leg was placed in an aircast.

Hill underwent surgery for a broken leg Thursday morning at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville, N.C., according to a report from the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Expected to be out of action anywhere from a year to 18 months, Hill is currently resting in the hospital with his family. The former Ultimate Fighter standout is handling the injury well and is reportedly in good spirits.

UFC newcomer Razak Al-Hussan is also suspended indefinitely for his joint-popping armbar loss to former WEC light heavyweight champion Steve Cantwell. Ringside doctor Sara Neal will require Al-Hussan to see an orthopedic doctor before being cleared to fight again.

Al-Hassan was treated and released from the hospital Wednesday night after suffering a dislocated right elbow.

Newcomer Brandon Wolff is suspended for 45 days for a contusion/hematoma on his forehead following his TKO loss to Ben Saunders.

Nate Loughran is suspended for 30 days due to lacerations suffered in his loss to Tim Credeur.

Co-main event fighter Jonathan Goulet is suspended for 60 days following his knockout loss to Mike Swick. Goulet must have his left elbow x-rayed and cleared by an orthopedist before being cleared to fight.

Main event fighter Yoshiyuki Yoshida is suspended for 90 days following his knockout loss to Josh Koscheck.

Yoshida and Goulet were both treated and released for concussions. Goulet will also have his knee checked out when he returns to his native Canada.

In other notes, Assistant Supervisor Locklear estimated an audience of around 10,000 attendees at the event. In the spirit of its charity cause, the North Carolina Boxing Authority collected no taxes from promoter Zuffa, LLC for the show.

Feb 7, 2006
Back with a Bang: Miletich Delivers in Moline

At the age of 40, Pat Miletich made a statement Thursday against Thomas Denny.

More than two years ago, Miletich was unsure if he’d ever fight again following a disappointing submission loss to Renzo Gracie. Now the MMA world is wondering if the Iowan is on the cusp of a comeback.

“They say the last thing to go when you’re old is your power,” said Miletich, a former UFC 170-pound champion.

Power has not been lost if Thursday’s decisive knockout at Adrenaline II is of any measure, as the hometown fighter looked every bit the striker he was known for a decade ago.

A clean left-hook counter to the chin stunned Denny in an early exchange, and set the tone for a spectacular finish in front of a partisan crowd at the I Wireless Center in Moline, Ill.

Miletich rode out most of the first period from his opponent’s guard following the counter blow, and he took the frame 10-9 on the Sherdog.com scorecard. Much like the first stanza, Denny (26-18) opened up with his hands to start round two. Miletich (29-7-2) took advantage with his superior boxing and planted his foe with two right-hand counterpunches that forced referee Michael Reid to save the fallen fighter at the 0:50 mark.

The world will have to wait if Miletich will return to the cage, as the “Croatian Sensation” seemed unwilling to commit to a future fight, save for a mega-bout with one of combat sport’s biggest names.

“I’d like to fight somebody like Antonio Tarver or Winky Wright or somebody like that from the boxing world,” declared Miletich. “That would be interesting. Bring it, boys.”

In his first action since being stopped by Andrei Arlovski in July, Ben Rothwell cruised to an easy win over journeyman Chris Guillen.

A takedown attempt from Guillen (13-12) was thwarted by Rothwell in the bout’s opening minutes, with the “North Star” taking the top position. Guillen rolled from his stomach and exposed his face, which gave Rothwell (30-6) an opening to drop elbows to the head from side-control. A tap from the punishment occurred at 3:40 of the first.

“I hope you appreciate some elbows to the head,” said an unscathed Rothwell, who upped his record to 30-6 with the win.

Michael Russow moved to 11-1 (1 NC) with a workmanlike submission of Braden Bice in a mere 73 seconds.

Following a slam in which Bice (5-7) was lifted high into the air and deposited on his back, Russow easily passed to side-control, where he transitioned into a north-south choke to claim his seventh consecutive victory.

Russow has not tasted defeat since dropping a controversial duel with Sergei Kharitonov at Pride 33.

Despite a shaky start on the heels of an early slip, Mike Ciesnolevicz (16-3, 1 NC) proved to be too much for Derek Mehman (2-1).

After a back-and-fourth first round that saw Mehman tee off with punches from the top position following a swing and a miss head kick by Ciesnolevicz, the Miletich-trained fighter pulled it together in the second frame and finished the overmatched Mehman with a guillotine choke at the 1:46 mark.

Gabe Lemley let a likely win escape his grasp with a bonehead move against Dan Loman. Having complete control of his dazed opponent and a dominant standing position over Loman’s back, Lemley delivered some punches before inexplicably backing off his opponent and giving him space to stand.

The kind gesture returned to haunt Lemley. Loman poured it on with punches, and Lemley (13-8), with his back to the cage, offered nothing as he absorbed strikes until referee Reid halted the action at 1:54 of the second round.

“Did I really just win on live TV?” asked Loman (11-4). “Thanks, America.”

Fighting in a catch-weight match at 195 pounds, former IFL middleweight champion Ryan McGivern easily dispatched of Geno Roderick with a rear-naked choke in just 87 seconds.

McGivern (13-6) scored an early takedown and never looked back as he overwhelmed his opponent on the floor. After giving up his back, Roderick (6-7) tapped quickly to the finishing hold.

Pat Curran, the cousin of Sherdog-ranked featherweight Jeff Curran, outclassed Ramiro Hernandez over three rounds to take a unanimous decision.

Curran (4-1) ended the first and second periods similarly with slick armbars, only to have his efforts foiled in dramatic fashion. Hernandez, in his professional debut, defended well and was saved by the bell on both occasions. The beginner’s theatrics were not enough in the end, as the bout ended with official scores of 30-27 (twice) and 29-28 for Curran.

In other bouts, Jesse Lennox (9-1) submitted Ryan Williams (7-4) with a triangle choke at 3:41 of round one; Danny Rodriguez (3-3) submitted David Fuentes (4-3) with a rear-naked choke at 1:50 of the first round; and in the evening’s opening bout, Billy Kidd (7-8) took L.C. Davis (12-1) into the second round before being submitted with a front headlock at the 2:52 mark.

Feb 7, 2006
Bobby Lashley says “It’s all coming together”, ready for MMA debut on Saturday.

Former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley made news when he recently announced his departure from the fictional fight world of the WWE to pursue a career in the extremely non fictional fight world of mixed martial arts. Far from just an entertainer, the 260 pound powerhouse is an athlete in every sense of the word. A former NAIA wrestling champion and a silver medalist at the world championships, Lashley is no stranger when it comes to the art of combat.

Lashley will have his opportunity to showcase all of the skills he has picked up while training with the American Top Team when he makes his mixed martial arts debut Saturday night. He will be facing off with another debuting heavyweight, Joshua Franklin, at the Mixed Fighting Alliance “There Will Be Blood” card at American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.

Making the transition into the world of mixed martial arts isn’t something that Lashley had just recently began to contemplate. As he told FiveOuncesOfPain.com in an exclusive interview, the move from the entertainment world to the fight world has been a long time coming.

“I talked with the management of the WWE about my interest in fighting about a year before leaving,” said Lashley. “I had an injury and had to take some time off. So while I was rehabbing the injury I talked to them a little more and just came to the conclusion that if any time was a good time it was now. That’s when I decided to take the leave and started training.”

The decision to set sail in the competitive world of mixed martial arts was not a difficult move to make for the Colorado native. Competition at the highest level has become a way of life for Lashley.

“I have eighteen years of wrestling experience,” said Lashley. “I wrestled in college an I wrestled at the Olympic training center for three years. I have obtained numerous awards in wrestling. I have three national championships in college and a silver medal at the world championships.”

“I was doing a lot of different things in wrestling and towards the end of my wrestling career I started training with a lot with some of the MMA fighters. I had a chance to meet some of the guys that were actually fighting and that’s the direction I thought I was heading in.”

With Lashley’s wrestling credentials and imposing physical dimensions it was no surprise that he caught the attention of some very important people right out of college. He was at a crossroads in his life and had a very important decision to make.

“At that same time is when the WWE was offering me a contract,” explained Lashley. “It just came to a point where it was like “Alright, do you want to get into MMA now or do you want to do the professional wrestling deal?”. Just speaking to some of the people from the WWE like Kurt Angle and some others, I felt like I would want to make that jump into the WWE and see more of the entertainment side of the sport.”

Even while performing under the bright lights of the WWE, Lashley found himself with a hunger for something more. Something more competetive. Something more real.

“I definitely had aspirations to get into mixed martial arts before the WWE but the WWE was pulling a little harder,” said Lashley. “Even while going through the WWE there were always moments where I wanted to train and wanted to fight so when the time was right I decided to start fighting.”

The wheels really started turning in Lashley’s head after he had the opprtunity to train with several different fighters while wrestling in Colorado. The first hand experience with some of the techniques that they were training opened his eyes to many of the different competetive dimensions of the sport.

“It was about 2002 or 2003 when I started training with some of the guys and actually looking into it a little more,” said Lashley. “I had seen some fights before and nobody really knew that much about it so it was just kind of cool to watch the fights. When I was up there at the training center in Colorado some of the guys that were fighting with the management company I was with before would come down. They would send them up there to get the altitude training and since I was wrestling there I was wrestling some of the guys.”

“So now I was starting to understand a little bit more because those guys were into jiu-jitsu which I didn’t know too much about at the time. All I had was my wrestling and I would wrestle these guys.”

“After wrestling with them for weeks I would get the opportunity to go to some of their fights. That’s when I really started to understand the whole game and I started to watch it more as someone that wanted to get into it as opposed to being just a fan.”

Coming from the entertainment side of pro wrestling, Lashley enters the sport knowing that there will be plenty of people who would love to cast a shadow of doubt over his legitmacy as a true mixed martial artist. It’s something that he is perfectly fine with.

“It gets to the point now that I don’t even care,” said Lashley. “People are going to say whatever they’re going to say on the Internet. They’re going to call me a professional wrestler and I really don’t mind it because if I could turn back the hands of time and do it all over again I wouldn’t have done anything different.”

“Wrestling was great for me. It put a lot of money in my pocket to take care of my family and do a lot of things that I never thought I could have one before.”

The most important thing for everyone to know is that Lashley is a fighter first and foremost. After having made the decision to pursue a career in the MMA, he has completely dedicated himself to the sport and to growing as a fighter.

“I really don’t care if people see me as a former collegiate wrestler or a former WWE wrestler,” said Lashley. “Right now I’m training at the American Top Team which I think is one of the best mixed martial arts training facilities in the world. I’ve been sacrificing and committing everything I have to this fight business so instead of thinking of me as anything else I would rather people thought of me as an MMA fighter because once I start fighting they’re really going to see that.”

After deciding to make fighting his full time gig, Lashley was left with the task of finding the right gym that would help propel his game to that next level. A task that did not come easily at first.

“I was thinking about getting into it for so long now and going to different training camps but the commitment wasn’t really there,” said the Missouri Valley College alumni. “I learned a little jiu-jitsu here and some striking there but nothing was really solid.”

In due time Lashley was able to find the pefect fit for what he had been looking for in a mixed martial arts gym.

“When I got down to the American Top Team, that’s when everything really started coming together. These guys are serious down here. You go in the gym any day of the week and you’re not just pitter pattering with a few decent fighters, you’re training with the best.”

Considered to be one of the premier MMA gyms in the world, the American Top Team is overflowing with an abundance of talent that will be sure to lend a helping hand in Lashley’s progression as a fighter.

“I have Thiago Silva down there,” said Lashley. “Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, Wilson Gouveia and at any given time there’s probably about sixty different guys in the room at any particular weight. I usually have about fifteen to twenty guys from light heavyweight to heavyweight to super heavyweight that I can go hard with at any time. I also work with my boxing coach Howard Davis who is an Olympic champion boxing coach.”

“There’s just so many people at ATT and they’re taking the game of mixed martial arts to a whole new level. This is where I need to be. I live in Denver but I travel down to Florida and I stay in a hotel. It’s pure dedication. I’m going to two or three practices a day to learn and condition myself. Just getting the proper sparing and putting it all together.”

The American Top Team knew what they were going to focus on with Lashley before he ever step foot in the gym.

“The good thing about when I came down do ATT is that they really understood,” said Lashley. “They were like, “We’re not going to try to make you a black belt in jiu-jitsu before your first fight. That’s just not going to happen. What we’re going to do is teach you how to stay out of submissions and we’re going to teach you a few submissions that work well for you with your wrestling background”.”

Coming from the world of collegiate wrestling there are few questions about Lashley’s ablity to transition his wrestling to work for him in mixed martial arts. One of the main questions that always come up when talking about a pure wrestler making the crossover to MMA is the submission game.

“I think my jiu-jitsu is going really well as far as not being submitted,” explained Lashley. “I’m rolling with some really high caliber people and I’m working my submissions against them but it’s hard to get a black belt with a leg lock or a key lock or something like that because that’s what they’ve been doing for most of their life.”

The other question, of course, is the stand up game. At 6′4″ tall and expecting to fight at around 250 pounds, if Lashley comes into the game with decent striking he will be a serious force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division. Like the submissions, the stand up game for Lashley is a big question mark that will hopefully be answered on Saturday night.

“I feel like my stand up is really good,” said Lashley. “I feel really comfortable standing up. I’ve been training boxing and kickboxing for months now. Right now I’m actually getting with some of the best trainers and really fine tuning my game a lot more. I feel like my striking is really good right now.”

“I’d like to just knock some people out right off the bat just to show that my hands are solid.”

Al the years of preparing for wrestling tournaments have helped to provide Lashley with the right mind set when it comes to getting himself ready for battle. The road to the competition is not unfamiliar territory for the former championship level wrestler.

“I’m feeling really anxious and competent right now,” said Lashley. “It’s all coming together. It goes back to the days when I was training for the National Championships. I knew my head was right, all the positive thinking was coming in and I just knew that I was ready. I’m feeling that way right now.”

Knowing full well that there will be many very important eyes in the sport of mixed martial arts watching when he makes his debut against Joshua Franklin, Lashley hope to impress.

“This fight’s going to be a big fight for me,” said Lashley. “Even though it’s not the UFC or anything like that, it’s a big fight for me because it’s my first time jumping in there. It’s my first opportunity to go out there and display my skills.”

“I can’t wait. I wish I could fight right now.”

Being that his opponent is making his MMA debut as well, it won’t be the kind of fight where any kind of real specific game plan has been laid out.

“I don’t know too much about him at all,” said Lashley. “I know he has a little bit of striking and he comes from a good jiu-jitsu camp.”

“I’m just going to go in there and beat him up.”

With the spotlight shining so bright on Lashley during his MMA debut, he knows that it is pivotal for him to come out and look impressive to make a statement that he is to be taken very seriously in the sport.

“I know if I don’t get a finish there will be a bunch of critics that say this and that but there’s a part of me that wants to just wear this guy down for fifteen straight minutes,” explained Lashley. “Just attack him and attack him and attack him. Just to show the crowd that this is what I’m about. I’m about just bruising people and just pressuring them non stop.”

“On the other hand I would kind of like to come out and just drop this guy with a one-two so I make sure that nothing happens.”

Shortly after making the announcement that he would be pursuing a full time fighting career Lashley made news by signing a contract with an upstart fighting organization that goes by the name of the American Fight League. The American Fight League has yet to put on a show.

“I signed a year deal with the AFL and I really hope that they get it together,” said Lashley. “I really hope we can do an AFL show and build it. The league that they wanted to start, it sounded really good and it’s something that’s needed.”

“A lot of people criticize the AFL and say “Oh , they can’t do it” but the only ones it’s hurting are the fighters. The more leagues that drop out, the less places we have to go to find a fight. I don’t care if there’s a hundred different organizations out there doing business. That would give us an opportunity for every fighter to find a fight every month if we want to. So for me, and I think the all of the fighters shoud really hope that the American Fight League does come together because if they do, all of us can fight.”

The heavyweight prospect had the opportunity to meet with Dana White at a recent UFC event and the response he received from the UFC’s president was a positive one.

“I met Dana very briefly at UFC 90 in Chicago,” said Lashley. “It was just a quick encounter. My management had talked to him about me so at the weigh-ins he came by and I introduced myself to him face to face. He expressed some interest in seeing what I had. He said he was really looking forward to my fight.”

“I think that’s what a lot of people are saying right now. They really can’t put their money behind me until they see what I can do.”

After he gets his feet wet in competition, Lashley would love to have the opportunity to test himself against fellow former WWE superstar that has made the transition to MMA and current UFC heavyweight chapion, Brock Lesnar. A match up between the two has been a subject of discussion since Lashley’s announcement to join Lesnar in the fight game.

“Brock has the title and if he has the title then I want to get at him,” said Lashley. “Of course he has a big bullseye on his back.”

“If there’s a heavyweight out there that doesn’t want to fight him then there’s a heavyweight out there that doesn’t want to fight, period.”

The American Top Team Fighter feels that he could possibly pose quite a few very specific problems for Lesnar. Problems that could very well lead to an extremely entertaining bout for us, the fans of the sport.

“I think me and Brock would be a great fight,” said Lashley. “Neither of us have really been training with submissions for that long so I don’t think any of us would be worried about any kind of submission.”

“I think it would be a brawl because we both have the wrestling background and size isn’t going to come into play very much. I’m a little bit lighter than Brock but not enough to make a huge difference. Like when he fought Randy I think the difference was like 220 to 280. I would probably come into a fight with Brock at like 255-260 so size isn’t going to come into play.”

There are many that will argue that Lesnar would have an advantage going into a bout with Lashley based on his wrestling accomplishments but Lashley would like for everyone to take a closer look and see that it’s not as far a gap in skills as some would believe.

“I think skill wise, everybody says that he’s an NCAA champion,” said Lashley. “I took a silver medal at the world championships. So if they’re not going to count my college credibility then they can count that and compare that. As far as the wrestling goes, it would be a battle. I think it would be a really good match up that would turn into a brawl.”

He would welcome a fight with the current UFC heavyweight champion but it’s not a fight that he is any kind of rush to jump in to. Lashley knows that it’s best to take things one step at a time and he’ll worry about Lesnar when the time comes.

“I would like to get a few fights underneath my belt before I did something like that so I can get a little ring rust out,” explained Lashley. “There’s a couple of checks I want to get out of the way first. The heart check, the chin check and the ability check. I want to get those out of the way first but if the opportunity presented itself I would jump for it”

As far as the near future goes, Lashley has a pretty clear game plan of wht he would like to accomplish. He wants to stay as active as possible and make an immediate impact in the sport.

“I want to get this fight over with and then possibly line something up for the next month or month and a half later,” said Lashley. “By summer time I would like to get at least a good five fights by maybe August. That’s like fighting almost every month and not taking much time off, just staying really active.”

“Then the first part of next year or the latter part of this year I will be looking to sign with a bigger organization whether it’s the UFC, Affliction or DREAM and start getting some of the big fights.”

“Within a year and a half or two years I’ll be looking for a title shot if possible.”

Bobby Lashley would like to thank the American Top Team, First Round Management and

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshihiro Akiyama Released From FEG Contract

Yoshihiro Akiyama has made a blog post about his non-participation on NYE. First he writes that in November this year, his contract with FEG was terminated. They talked with FEG about participating at Dynamite!! but no agreement was made. He wanted to participate, so it is regrettable.

Then he writes that for next year he has negotiated on various contracts. He doesn’t know where he will end up, but at that time he will try his best from the beginning/from scratch.

Update: It seems that some people/sites think that Akiyama was offered 10 fighters at 10 different occasions or something. That’s not the case. According to Tanigawa, they gave him around 10 candidates to choose from as an opponent for NYE. However, as he didn’t sign a contract to even fight at the event, of course he couldn’t choose one of the candidates. It’s not like they approached him 10 times with a different opponent each time and he turned down all of them.

There seems to have been some problem during recent times (who knows for how long) between FEG and Akiyama so he chose not to fight at Dynamite!! as his FEG contract is already over. Maybe they’ll come to terms again in 2009, maybe he’ll sign with SENGOKU, maybe with the UFC which some guy at the channel that broadcasts UFC in Korea (rival channel of the channel that airs DREAM) introduced Akiyama to, or maybe someone else.

Feb 7, 2006
Thales Leites: “I’ll do my best for the belt”

Getting to the UFC with a perfect 9-0 card, Thales Leites suffered his first – and only – loss in his debut in the octagon, in 2006, but since then he doesn’t know what is step in the octagon and leaving it without the victory. With five straight wins, Thales can be close to the biggest dream of his career: get a title show against the reign champion, Anderson Silva.

“I’ve heard these rumors too, and coming from Dana White’s mouth is even better. I haven’t received anything official by now, but I’m looking forward to it”, said the fighter to TATAME.com, thrilled with the chance to fight Anderson for the title. “I’m crazy with that, it’s something I’m running after for a long time and it’s getting real now. I’m already training toughly and waiting to this come true. I’ll do my best for the belt”.

With most of his wins by submission (nine), Thales will face a tough challenge. In two of his fights inside UFC’s octagon, Silva fought guys with the same historical (Nate Marquardt and Travis Lutter, who has most of wins by submission), and Anderson defeated them. “Anderson is phenomenal and fought tough fighters and make them look like nothing, won fast and with a great performance. The thing is training. I think it’d be a fight where I’d try to get to the close distance and try to put him down, and he’d strike, but I won’t avoid the striking neither him from the ground. It’d be a true Muay Thai vs. Jiu-Jitsu fight. That’s the way: close distance and take him down”, believes Leites.

Feb 7, 2006
LEONARD GARCIA: "I'M NOT TOO CONCERNED ABOUT HIS STANDUP"
link:http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3971.html?PHPSESSID=73989181ed27773015fd7090e3e1953a
If you missed the chat session with WEC top featherweight contender Leonard Garcia, check the entire transcript to see what he had to say. "I've heard that we're fighting in March so that's what I'm preparing for. I think his strengths are he's real strong and his wrestling is good...I'm not too concerned about his standup. I know he has power and good boxing, but I'm not too concerned," he stated as he talked about a possible clash with WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown. Check out what else he had to say about Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
MIKE BROWN: "IT WOULD BE AN HONOR TO FIGHT HIM"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3972.html
If you missed the chat session with WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown, check the entire transcript to see what he had to say. "He's definitely got some power and he's tough...He's a well-rounded guy. He's improved a lot over the last couple of years. If I fight him, I'll have to prepare well," he stated as he talked about a possible clash with WEC top featherweight contender Leonard Garcia. Check out what else he had to say about Miguel Torres, Urijah Faber and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Shinya Aoki wants Yoshihiro Akiyama leave from DREAM

After the conference by FEG in Tokyo on December 11, Shinya Aoki and Sadaharu Tanikawa answered questions from the press. Sportsnavi reported their comments.

Shinya Aoki:
“I would like to thank DREAM for arranging a fight with Eddie Alvarez. I will put all I have to make it very exciting fight. Regarding Yoshihiro Akiyama, he ran away from me. I had a feeling that Akiyama won't fight me though. I accept one who comes to me, and don't chase the one who leaves. If Akiyama asks me to fight someday, I'll accept his offer. However, I personally don't want to see him in DREAM again. If I am a promoter, I will definitely kick him out from the event."

Sadaharu Tanikawa:
“MMA is not as popular as before in Japan anymore. To get MMA fans back, we need supports of every single popular fighters in Dynamite on NYE. I had been supportive even though he caused me a big trouble 2 years ago. I suppose he forgot what he did, and doesn't appreciate my support.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sokoudjou confirms matchup vs. Sobral for Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning”

Affliction Entertainment has added a light heavyweight bout between Renato “Babalu” Sobral and former UFC and PRIDE star Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou to its “Day of Reckoning” event set for Jan. 24.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com spoke with Sokoudjou on Friday during the weigh-ins for the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter, where he stated that he had signed the bout agreement to face Sobral and that the matchup is now official.

Reports of the bout surfaced earlier this week after Affliction prematurely released promotional materials to its website signifying the addition of the bout. However, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio informed MMAjunkie.com that while the fight was under discussion, that Sokoudjou had not formally signed.

Sobral, 31-7, last competed on November 21 during a Strikeforce event in San Jose, California. Facing the promotion’s then-incumbent light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth, Sobral claimed his first major title following a TKO at the conclusion of the first round.

Prior to arriving in Strikeforce, Sobral had competed in the UFC, where he recorded notable victories over Chael Sonnen, Travis Wiuff, and Mike Van Arsdale. He was dismmised from the promotion following a second round submission victory over David Heath at UFC 74 for refusing to immediately release a choke.

Sokoudjou rose to stardom falling a pair of upset victories against top ten ranked light heavyweights during bis brief PRIDE tenure. Despite facing long odds heading into his bout at PRIDE 33 vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Sokoudjou managed to upset the native Brazilian with a knockout just 23 seconds into the bout.

The Cameroon native returned a couple of months later at PRIDE 34 in April of the same year and was matched up against another renowned Brazilian light heavyweight in Ricardo Arona. Despite his win over Nogueira, Sokoudjou was still pegged as the underdog. However, lightning struck twice with Sokoudjou knocking out Arona at 1:59 into the first round.

Sokoudjou eventually migrated to the UFC after Dream Stage Entertainment sold PRIDE to Zuffa. However, Sokoudjou’s tenure in the UFC was less than memorable and he was released following an October loss to Luis Cane at UFC 90.

In addition to the possibility of Sobral vs. Sokoudjou, “Day of Reckoning” is also slated to feature Fedor Emelianenko defending his WAMMA heavyweight title vs. former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski. Additional matchups include Matt Lindland vs. Vitor Belfort and Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel.

Feb 7, 2006
Quote of the Day: Wanderlei Silva Rejects Juanito Ibarra's Offer to Betray Rampage Jackson

"I've received a letter from someone offering training with Juanito to me, but I didn't care to accept it.

"(The letter) contained phone numbers that I could use to get in touch with Juanito, but I threw it away.

"I think it's unethical to accept the former coach of my opponent, and if Juanito is doing this with Rampage, he may do the same with me later."

Feb 7, 2006
Akiyama To SENGOKU?! Japanese Blogger Hints

This guy is apparently a good friend of Akiyama, from Gryphon’s blog:

Famous MMA aeidotr,”Battle talk” chief editor TAKASU Motoichiro’s Blog said

TAKASU is very good friend Of AKIYAMA,He kept side on AKIYAMA in his slippy oil scandal!

He said so,It mean nothing but AKIYAMA!!

Are you interested in AKIYAMA Yoshihiro? No?

OK,It is natural,his recent fight is far from tough competitiion,He leave from MMA ranking

But,He is the Big Star in KOREA it is second to none.

His TV CM is Car,beer,Freezer………Big companies.It is said tha He 120,000 Dollars ias talent.Real star

and SENGOKU vs DREAM Total hot war start!! If He really fight in SENGOKU

Feb 7, 2006
Croatian News: Crocop Vs. Choi

Crotian news websites, - Nova.hr and Index.hr - that cover Mirko Crocop int erms of News stories, and videos for upcomming fights, are reporting that Mirko will be fighting Hong Man Choi. Read inside…

According to Nova.Tv

Translated By DreamFighters.com:

Korean K-1 Web site was officially announced that he will fight instead of the rules of MMA (mixed martial arts) held by the rules of K-1. Mirko will be the first time that he returned to the K-1 rules since 2001. Crosses in PRIDE.

His new opponent is 28-year old South Korean kickboxer and former ssireum wrestler. K-1 Record 12 wins, of which 7 knockout.

On the last New Year’s Eve Hong Man Choi fought Russians Fedora Emelianenka. The battle lasted only two minutes because Fedor managed to defeat the korean and after this a few times well with him pomeo ring. Almost the same scenario as in the fight legendarnoj beans Sappa and Minotaur.

According to Index.Hr

Croatian fighter Mirko Filipović could novogodišnjoj in the evening pull ring opposite divu Korean Hong Man Choiju, known as “Techno Goliath”.

How dugonajavljivanog of revenge against Alistair Overeema will not be anything, because the Dutchman is likely to fight against Sergei Kharitonova, Korean media announced the possibility that Filipovic on the New K-1 tournament, “Field Dynamo” oppose their Fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Jeff Monson to Return to the UFC?

In recent reports, and from an episode of MMA live, Jeff Monson could return to the UFC to fight non other than Cheick Kongo..

According to MMAlive, Monson could return in early 2009 to re-sign with the UFC. Monson’s camp could not be reached to confirm.

Monsons last loss came to the hands of Josh Barnett at Sengoku - Second Battle, where he went all 3 rounds with Josh Barnett.

Feb 7, 2006
Black House reborn in Los Angeles

While the proliferation of major training camps in MMA continues -- a list that currently includes AKA, American Top Team, Greg Jackson's, Miletich Fighting Systems and Xtreme Couture, among others -- another name is quietly rising from the ashes: Black House.

The star-studded team of Brazilians first emerged in 2006. The Rio de Janeiro based camp seemed destined for greatness, then just as quickly faded away.

Ed Soares, manager for several of MMA's top Brazilian fighters, recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the camp is set to relaunch in the U.S.

"We're opening up a Black House training facility in Los Angeles for all the guys that we represent to train at," Soares said. "Hopefully we'll have it open by the end of the year."

When a manager says he is opening a camp for his clients, it generally wouldn't raise an eyebrow from most MMA pundits. But when that manager represents UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and former WEC champion Paulo Filho -- as well as Lyoto Machida, Rafael "Feijao" Calvancante, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Andre Galvao, among others -- people tend to take notice.

"[Black House] is going to be a great training facility," Soares said. "It's not going to be a money maker. It's probably going to be an expense. But it's just going to be a facility where our guys can train so that when they're here they don't have to worry about where they're going to train. You've got a completely controlled environment where our guys can do what they want to do."

Soares said the demise of the original Black House was to blame on the owners of the facility the team was using.

"We had a training facility in Brazil," Soares said. "There were some issues that went on with some of the partners who owned the actual facility that we were in. We were inside of a gym, and there was some falling out amongst the partners out in Brazil. But that's where all the guys trained, was out there."

Soares said the reformed Black House will not necessarily be an exclusive team. Many of his clients have already formed their own camps across the U.S. Instead, Black House will serve as a type of training center for the full roster of Soares' clients to train together.

"You could call it a team," Soares said. "But the guys that we represent, they have their own teams. What we're doing is this Black House is going to be the name of the facility that we're going to have in Los Angeles where all the guys that we represent are going to train at because all of the guys that we represent pretty much train together, too.

"So they represent different teams because each one of them is trying to form their own team. There's the Muay Thai College, which is Anderson (Silva's) team, there's Team Nogueira. But when they're in Los Angeles, they're all going to be training at Black House."

While a training facility that houses many of the world's greatest fighters might seem a mecca for MMA fans and athletes in the Southern California area, Soares said the gym will be private.

"It's not going to be open to the public," Soares said. "It's going to be a private place for our guys and invited people that we bring in to train. We may do some seminars there once in a while, but for the most part, it's going to be a private facility for the guys that we represent."

Feb 7, 2006
Anthony Johnson: “He’s going to be ugly when I get done with him”

Anthony Johnson will have his opportunity to set the record straight, literally, when he faces off with Kevin Burns for the second time tonight during the live finale for the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter that will take place at The Pearl in Nevada.

The pairs previous meeting was marred in controversy after Burns repeatedly poked Johnson in the eye while throwing open handed strikes due to a hand injury. He was warned four separate times during the duration of the bout and in the third round, after Johnson was poked in the eye again and fell to the ground in pain, referee Steve Mazzagatti waved the contest off and declared Burns the victor via TKO. The decision was ruled to stand and Johnson still has that nasty loss on his record that he absolutely can’t wait to erase.

Burns wanted this rematch with the dangerous 6′2″ welterweight and Johnson couldn’t be happier to grant the request.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com had the opportunity to catch up with Johnson prior to tonights fight and speak with him about this grudge match of sorts, training with Cung Le and not making the cut on The Ultimate Fighter amongst other things.

Cory Brady: How are you feeling physically right now in the days leading up to your rematch with Kevin Burns?

Anthony Johnson: I feel great. I had a better camp this time. Every time I do a camp it keeps getting better and better. I’ve been working a lot of things with Cung Le in San Jose. I still basically have the same game plan as the last one because it wasn’t like he was stopping anything that I was doing.

Cory Brady: Has Kevin Burns open handed strikes been addressed for this one or is there the chance that he will accidentally shove his fingers in your eye again?

Anthony Johnson: Hopefully he had his hand fixed so he can fight me like he was supposed to, like a real man instead of poking me in the eye. I don’t even know why he was fighting to begin with if his hand was broke. He wanted a rematch so he’s going to get one. I have a loss on my record because of it but it’s whatever, after December 13th I’ll erase that loss and come out with the W.

Cory Brady: Does the fact that Kevin Burns never came close to submitting you in your previous bout play a part in your confidence if the fight ends up on the ground?

Anthony Johnson: I’m confident standing and on the ground with Kevin. To me he’s not a threat on the ground, period. He’s caught some good people in submissions but I’m not worried about his ground game and I’m not worried about his stand up either. I just have to go out there and do me. If he doesn’t poke me in the eye this time he’s going to get stopped a lot quicker.

Cory Brady: The last fight with Burns was a real barn burner up until the stoppage. Are you anticipating a war this time around as well?

Anthony Johnson: I just want to finish the fight. This time I know it’s going to be a better fight. I know that he’s coming and he’s going to know that I’m coming. Either he’s going to be on or I’m going to be on. Most of the time I’m on so if he’s not then it will be a bad thing for Kevin.

Cory Brady: How do you visualize this one ending?

Anthony Johnson: I’m going to knock his head off. Plain and simple. That’s just how I do it. If he didn’t want to get his head knocked off then he shouldn’t have gotten in the octagon with me. I hope his wife loves him because he’s going to be ugly when I get done with him.

Cory Brady: Now I know you tried out for season six of The Ultimate Fighter. What was the reason you were given for not making the final cut?

Anthony Johnson: I have no idea why I didn’t make the cut. I think it was because of my size and maybe they didn’t want another Gabe Ruediger situation. I’m a big 170 and I think they didn’t want to take that chance to make them look bad and me look bad and the sport look bad. I agree with their decision because honestly to stay in a house for that long and never know when you’re going to be called to fight, that’s tough. Especially for someone like me because I pack on a lot of muscle. I’m actually glad I didn’t make The Ultimate Fighter. It made me work harder to get what I wanted.

Cory Brady: Your frame and height make you one of the more physically dominating fighters at 170. Is the cut down to welterweight difficult for you or do you have it down to a science at this point?

Anthony Johnson: It’s never easy for somebody my size to get down to 170 pounds but I have it under control. I don’t worry about it and it doesn’t really affect my cardio like a lot of people think.

Cory Brady: I heard that you wrestled in college but never really formally studied striking before jumping into mma yet many consider you one of the more lethal strikers at 170. Is striking something that just seems to come naturally to you?

Anthony Johnson: I won a National Wrestling Championship in College but I never took up boxing or any kind of martial art. Then when I started training with Chute Boxe USA and some of the guys who had been in martial arts for a while were getting the best of me and I just got tired of getting punched in the mouth before I started swinging back and it just came to me. I just worked hard at what I wanted to learn and hard work pays off when you really go out there and do your best.

Cory Brady: Alright Anthony, thanks for taking this time with us. Are there any sponsors you would like to thank?

Anthony Johnson: Tapout, Cung Le, MMA Agents, Iron Heart Pitbulls and all of my friends and family.

Feb 7, 2006
Royce Gracie to appear in UFC’s new video game

Mixed martial arts legend and UFC 1 winner Royce Gracie will be appearing as a character in the UFC’s upcoming video game release with THQ entitled “UFC 2009: Undisputed.”

UFC President Dana White revealed the news during a special Q&A session this past Tuesday at the Sports USA Bar in Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

White made the revelation in response to a question from a fan who inquired whether Gracie will ever fight in the UFC again. Gracie last competed for the promotion at UFC 60 in May of 2006, losing to Matt Hughes via TKO at 4:39 of round 1.

White indicated that he doesn’t want to see Gracie fight for the promotion again at this stage of his career but indicated that the UFC Hall of Famer is still affiliated with the company. In addition to appearing in the video game, White stated that the UFC is going to produce a documentary about Gracie that will air on Spike TV.

Feb 7, 2006
Top 10 North American PPV Buy Rates for 2008

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000