MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC 91 does BIG Numbers

In the Wrestling Observer newsletter this week with Dave Meltzer, Mr Meltser conducted a short report on the PPV buy number for UFC 91. It did not hit the 1.2 million mark as Dana White hoped, but its not far behind.

I’ve received two preliminary estimates that put it in the 800,000-850,000 range. If those numbers hold up, it will be the second biggest UFC buyrate ever. It did not do the 1.2 million that White predicted, but I never believed this show could break a million without an incredible promotional push. It didn’t get that push, but still apparently did great business.

It has been said that UFC management had predicted PPV buys in the range of 800k to 900k, and that the estimated 1.2m buys was a marketing ploy to help them get coverage on ESPN.

Feb 7, 2006
Mirko Crocop Call’s Out Overeem

In a recent interview with Sportal.hr, Mirko Crocop had some very interesting words to say of Overeem, including a possible match in Mirko’s basement…DreamFighters.com has the translation.

Here are some key points of the interview in Croatian, translated by DreamFighters.com.

When asked about how Overeem does not leave Mirko Alone:

I do not know what was with him, as it is obsessed with me and forces me to do something that will tell me whether he thinks this is truly what he said.

When asked regarding when he will fight overeem if ever, here is what Mirko Had to say:

That would not be possible I fear, Overeem does not have to wait until the New Year or a term in the next year to fight with me. If you do not believe me that I am the one who chooses opponents, and that organization Dream does not want to fight for our New Year, it came to Zagreb second weekend and fight we will be in my cage, with the neutral judges. , We can arrange accommodation for him and his team, a new TV show will directly transfer to be through the Internet be able to see the whole world.

And Finally….

If Overeem doesn’t shows up on 6. December in my gym, i will please him to shut up and don’t mention my name till our next fight. He got opportunity now to prove everything he’s talking about in match that will not be payed, but we will fight for pride, where each can stand behind his words.”.

Mar 18, 2003
i dont wanna see pulver vs. faber part2, that fight seems meaningless IMO. faber should fight someone who aint washed up
Seriously. I think this is a trap fight for Faber too. He has nothing to gain from this rematch and he just recently beat him. Faber very well may lose this fight and fall even further down the ladder. I don't usually support immediate title rematches but I think this should be the exception.

Feb 7, 2006
Manny Tapia excited about prospect of "bloody war" with WEC champ

The opportunity to see bantamweights headline major MMA cards has been a rare occurrence in the short history of the sport.

But if 135-pounder Manny Tapia's predictions of his "WEC 37: Torres vs. Tapia" main-event bout hold true, it might happen again sooner rather than later.

"It is going to be a war," Tapia recently told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I feel it. It's one of those things you feel in your bones. And I'm ready for it. I just hope he's ready for it."

Undefeated contender Tapia (10-0-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) started his career with King of the Cage in 2005. Now facing his biggest challenge yet, Tapia said he's worked harder than ever to ready himself for the stern test that current WEC champ Miguel Torres (34-1 MMA, 3-0 WEC) will present.

"Thank God the fight's only in a week" Tapia said. "I've been training really hard for this fight. The training is winding down, so I'm happy about that part. I just can't wait.

"Me and Miguel are going to go out there and we're going to put on a show for the whole world. It's going to be great."

While Tapia has earned a reputation as a hard-hitting bantamweight, Torres has made waves throughout his eight-year career with a slick submission game. For this bout, the two Mexican-Americans have hinted they would prefer to go toe-to-toe.

"I'm ready for anything he brings," Tapia said. "He says he's actually going to stand up and bang with me because my chin hasn't been tested. But his chin hasn't been tested either.

"I can't wait. It's going to be awesome."

If the two do elect to remain on their feet, Torres will enjoy a significant reach advantage. Tapia said he's prepared to push through the challenge of Torres' long limbs.

"He does have a long reach," Tapia said. "But sometimes you're going to have to eat one to give one. I don't mind that at all. If I have to eat one or two to get one in or two in, I'm going to do so. I will get in there no matter what."

With just one loss in 46 combined career fights, the generally agreed-upon prediction for the Dec. 3 bout seems to be fireworks. Tapia said he agrees with the assessment.

"When [the WEC] first asked me about this fight, that's exactly what I was expecting," Tapia said. "I was expecting a bloody war.

"I go out there and I know I can bang and I can take it if I have to. I know I can take a beating. I get beat up every day. The fight is just a bonus. It's the fun part."

As he prepares to headline the Versus-broadcast event, Tapia is admittedly finding it difficult to contain his excitement for next Wednesday's main event.

"I'm headlining in Vegas, baby," Tapia said. "You don't get any better than that. That's crazy. We're the main event. It's crazy to see my name and my face up on the billboards.

"I'm fighting for the WEC. The very best of the best lighter weights in the world. That's insane. I never would have thought I was going to make it that far."

Feb 7, 2006
SOUTHWORTH HOPING FOR REMATCH... SOON

Shortly after losing his Strikeforce light heavyweight championship to Renato “Babalu” Sobral, former champion Bobby Southworth met with the media to discuss the fight and the possibility of a rematch.

“Obviously I’m disappointed. Any time you lose a fight it's disappointing, but when you lose a belt, it’s a little more,” said Southworth when asked about his thoughts on the fight.

Up until the fight-ending cut, he looked impressive both in physique and in fight strategy, as he was able to get Babalu on the ground and impose his will. “Its unfortunate. I thought I was winning the fight up until the cut.”

“I’ve said many times that you can’t really complain about stoppages. The officials are in there and their primary concern is your safety as a fighter,” said Southworth after being asked if he thought the fight was stopped prematurely.

Although he was disappointed about losing the fight due to a cut stoppage, Southworth spoke highly of the new champion. “My opinion of Babalu is that he’s an icon in the sport, a legend, and it was truly an honor to fight him.

“Babalu is a true sportsman and now he’s a true champion. Hopefully, he’ll give me a rematch for the belt.”

One thing that was noticeable as Southworth stepped into the cage was his physical condition, looking to be in the best shape of his fighting career. Southworth elaborated on his preparation for this big fight.

“Definitely, I’m always in the gym, always training, but as you watch the sport evolve and you see the evolution of fighters elevate their game," he stated. "Everybody has a strength and conditioning coach and they have a nutritionist. I’ve always had people that work me out, people that have certification, but I’ve never had a real nutritionist put together a nutrition package and work me out four days a week, but for this fight I had that”.

When asked about his future and whom he’d like to face next, Southworth made no qualms that he’d like a chance to get his title back in the near future. “I’m always looking to face the best competition that I can. Babalu was the toughest challenge of my career and, outside the UFC, he’s one of the top 205-pounders that’s out there.

“I’d definitely like to fight him in a rematch. What’s the point of fighting someone else that’s below his status?”

Although coming out on the wrong side of the win column, Southworth feels like a rematch is in the cards for both fighters. “My main concern is to get my belt back. When you lose to a cut, you don’t feel like you’ve been beaten, and you still feel the belt is yours and I still feel that way.

“Even though Babalu is the champion, he’s already stated that he’d give me a rematch and hopefully that happens as soon as possible.”

The next Strikeforce in San Jose, Calif. is tentatively scheduled to happen in March of next year. That leaves the door wide open for a possible rematch.

Feb 7, 2006
Team Finland, Spain Take M-1

HELSINKI, Finland – The home team rallied from a rough start to earn a 4-1 victory over their French counterparts at M-1 Challenge Finland on Wednesday.

At the start of 2008, the little country with a rapidly growing love for MMA assembled a group of fighters who spent most of the year fighting at a high pace in the global team tournament.

With both the year and the tournament coming to an end, it was time for Finland to do their part and host an edition of its own.

The end result was arguably the largest event in the ten-year history of Finnish MMA and drew a captive audience to match.

The kick-off fight was a bumpy one for Finland. When lightweights Niko Puhakka and Maktar Gueye clashed, the Finn barely survived the explosive standup of Gueye to get enough groundwork in to earn a decision.

The numbers were quickly evened out when Christian M'Pumbu, of France, handed the first loss not only to Team Finland, but his previously undefeated opponent Marcus Vänttinen via a smoothly applied rear-naked choke.

But then there was turn and the Finns came back strong. Toni Valtonen, who fought at 205 earlier in the tournament, moved up to replace former heavyweight talent Jarno Nurminen, who had suffered a broken hand. The new size didn't faze Valtonen, who had no trouble getting his opponent Mousa Niangane on his back, where he coaxed out the tapout with an armbar.

Welterweight Janne Tulirinta delivered another in-and-out performance when his opponent Farouk Lakebir injured his shoulder during the first takedown.

Team Finland’s performance was topped off when Lucio Linhares, the highly respected teacher and “in-house Brazilian” for Finland, blew the roof off in his bout against Karl Amoussou at middleweight. After some intense staredown action, Amoussou kept things tense and opened up with a relentless barrage of strikes. Linhares attempted to pull guard, but the Frenchman quickly backed off and out.

On its feet, Amoussou stormed in again but was served a stern counter cross and stumbled to the mat. From there, Linhares worked to mount and attempted to armbar his opponent. After Amoussou escaped, Linhares settled with the traditional art of fist-meet-face-fu and was awarded the TKO.

“I was amazed at the strength of Amoussou; he was good in countering by jiu-jitsu,” said Linhares. “I'm not a striker, but that cross is the one thing I've been getting good at.”

Once the numbers were crunched Finland finished third in the whole tournament. The finals will be held on Dec. 26 in Seattle between the Russian Red Devil team and Holland.

“Team Finland will definitely be making a comeback into the mix come next season,” said M-1 rep Jerry Millen. “The crowd was one of the hottest we've seen and really well-educated in the game. We want to make MMA big globally and the whole M-1 Challenge series has been a great experience in aiding this. Next year we’ll widen that even more with a Team China, for example.”

The superfight of the night matched Dutch striker Rodney Glunder and Canadian light heavyweight and UFC veteran Victor Valimaki. Valimaki showcased his seasoned poise and skills in calmly timing the first leg kick from the kickboxer and taking him down. Once there, Valimaki breezed his way to mount and a rear-naked choke to end it all.

“I had injured my knee in training and lacked some cardio, so I was hoping to end it quickly,” said Valimaki, whose grandparents hail from Finland. “What you saw out there was basically our plan working out immaculately. I've been wanting to fight in Finland forever. This is one of my goals achieved and a great experience; I've had a great time up here.”

In another series of team bouts, Team Spain defeated Team World. Finn Juha-Pekka Vainkainen opened the series for the World team by knocking out Jose Luis Zapater with a devastating lead hook.

Bulgarian Jordan Radev followed with a TKO via rear-naked choke in his bout against middleweight Rafael Rodrigues.

The Spaniards countered with both Jose Beltran Martinez and Rogent Lloret submitting their respective opponents Jason Ponet and Michael Kita.

Lastly, rookie Enoc Solves was impressive with takedowns and clinches to out-work the seasoned vet of the north, Valdas Pocevicious of Lithuania.

Having started the season with a successful first event, Team Spain was able to end it in a similar fashion with three victories.

In non-tournament bouts, two small Finns made heavy statements. The 18-year-old prodigy Janne Elonen-Kulmala introduced Nicklas Bergman to three consecutive left hands, knocking the Swede out in the process.

Kickboxing wrecking machine Mathias Klockars was able to avoid the slick grappling of Jordy Peute, of Holland, and earn a unanimous decision. Klockars delivered non-stop kicks no matter where Peute was, rapidly turning the Dutchman's legs to something else other than a whiter shade of pale.

Feb 7, 2006
Newton Takes to the Cage Again

“The Ronin” is coming home.

Former UFC welterweight champion Carlos Newton returns to competition for promotional newcomer Warrior-1 MMA’s “Inception” on March 28 at the Robert Guertin Arena in Gatineau, Quebec. Newton (13-13) will meet local draw Nabil Khatib (8-4) in a welterweight bout, his first on native Canadian soil since he began his career in 1996.

Few have had the globetrotting career that Newton has, which began at the age of 19. In short time, Newton was splitting his time between Japan’s vaunted Pride Fighting Championship and the U.S.’s Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Newton was noted for his athletic reflexes, a smooth Brazilian jiu-jitsu game, and a penchant for eclectic training. Returning to the Octagon in 2001, Newton rose to prominence with an unexpected submission victory over stalwart and former UFC champion Pat Miletich at UFC 31.

Newton lost the title to Miletich’s protégé, Matt Hughes, after a dramatic second-round slam at UFC 34 in November 2001. Newton rematched Hughes to no avail at UFC 38 and never regained his stride, dropping seven of his last 11 bouts into 2007.

Dividing time between the fighting and running a nursing home he had purchased near his native Newmarket, Ontario home, had taken its toll. Newton shelved his fighting career, but never strayed too far from his roots. In 2007, he coached the Toronto-based Dragons team for the International Fight League. Newton did not return for the 2008 season.

"I have been away from MMA for some time now and I couldn't be more excited to be back,” said Newton in a press release. “It only seems right to make my return in my home country and with a great organization like Warrior One.”

The evening’s co-main event features Mark Holst against TKO veteran Martin Grandmont in a lightweight matchup.

Feb 7, 2006
Hermes Franca to face Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 17

A recently rumored lightweight clash between Hermes Franca (19-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and Joe Lauzon (17-4 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is a go for the as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 17.

Franca confirmed the bout with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday at a Midwest Cage Championships event.

While the UFC has yet to officially announce the card, UFC Fight Night 17 is expected to take place Feb. 7 at The Palms in Las Vegas.

Franca is coming off of an emotionally charged decision win over Marcus Aurelio at UFC 90 in October. It was the Brazilian's first win in his past three bouts after suffering back-to-back losses to Frankie Edgar and Sean Sherk.

Prior to the UFC-lightweight-title-bout loss to Sherk, Franca had reeled off eight-straight victories, including wins over Spencer Fisher, Nate Diaz and Jamie Varner.

Still just 24 years old, Lauzon last saw action in a second-round-TKO win over Kyle Bradley at UFC Fight Night 15 in September. "The Ultimate Fighter 5" veteran was rebounding from an April defeat -- his first in the octagon -- to Kenny Florian.

Prior to the defeat, Lauzon had won six straight contests, including three for the UFC.

The confirmed bouts for the event include:

Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
Hermes Franca vs. Joe Lauzon
Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer

Feb 7, 2006
Jorge Gurgel "heartbroken" over his release from the UFC

Less than two weeks after earning a $60,000 bonus check for his "Fight of the Night" performance at UFC 91 -- his second such award -- lightweight Jorge Gurgel (12-5) has also received his walking papers.

Released from the organization, Gurgel has already landed with the California-based Strikeforce promotion. And while excited about his new deal, Gurgel told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he is still disappointed with being cut from the UFC.

"It's not a happy moment," Gurgel said. "It's very humiliating, and it's a crushing of my childhood dream."

"The Ultimate Fighter 2" veteran said fighting for the UFC has long been his sole focus.

"I never [fought] for the money," Gurgel said. "If you read any of my interviews, I only did it because my childhood dream -- when I was in Brazil and 15 years old -- was to come here to fight in the UFC. I wanted to have my own school and fight in the UFC. I got there, and now I'm out of the UFC.

"One day I'll be back again. I can not be happy -- truly, truly, thoroughly happy -- about what happened. But I am excited about new opportunities and new chances and new doors that are going to open, and for me to show my skills."

Gurgel has been criticized throughout his seven-fight run in the UFC for displaying the wrong set of skills. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, the 31-year-old has generally elected to slug it out on his feet.

Gurgel said he will adjust his strategy in future Strikeforce bouts.

"I'm so sick of people asking why I don't do jiu-jitsu," Gurgel said. "So I'm going to start doing it so people can shut up. 'Why don't you do jiu-jitsu?' Come on, man.

"(UFC announcer) Joe Rogan, everybody asks me. 'Why don't you do jiu-jitsu? You'd be in the top of the guys in the weight class if you would do jiu-jitsu.' But I always get caught up in not being boring."

While looking to change his style moving forward, Gurgel said he has no regrets regarding his past strategy.

"I live with no regrets," Gurgel said. "I fight the fight the way I want to fight because it's my job. And if you're not having any fun doing your job, you should do a different job so that you have fun.

"I have so much fun striking, and I love it so much. And the high that I get that I look for when I train is to be in the octagon in heated exchanges. And we're just going crazy punching each other, moving from a head kick or something. And the crowd goes from watching the fight to, 'Wow.' That's what I feed on."

Gurgel said it is his passion for toe-to-toe wars that has left him on the short end of three decisions during his UFC tenure.

"After the three rounds are over, I go, 'Oh, [expletive], maybe I was having too much fun and I didn't worry too much about winning decisively,'" Gurgel said. "Then I lose and I think, 'Oh my God. I can not believe this.'

"I don't even think about maybe losing until the end of it. That's something that I have to fix. I always think that I'm winning and not that I'm not doing good. Because I'm having so much fun, I don't think too much about it. I just get on auto-pilot, and I get out and go to war. And that's cost me in the past.

"But I have no regret not using the jiu-jitsu. I have the arsenal. I put 16 years of my life into jiu-jitsu. I know what I can do. And I'm going to use it now."

To those that have supported him through his roller-coaster ride in the UFC, a humble Gurgel promises to return to the UFC as a title contender.

"I don't know why I have such a humongous fan base," Gurgel said. "It's definitely not based on performance because my performances have been poor in my own standards. But I think they see how I fight with so much heart, and I fight for them. I fight for my fans and mostly my students, because I want to make them proud.

"Everybody that's believed in me and supported me for all these years, I want to say thank you. And I'm only getting started. I'm going to go to Strikeforce, and I'm going to win that belt. Then I'm going to come back to the UFC as a contender and not a gatekeeper."

Feb 7, 2006
Getting to know Bellator Fighting Championships: Part III

While a great idea and a quality business plan are a great start to a mixed martial arts promotion, it takes a group of high-level fighters and dedicated fans to achieve success.

Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney recently explained to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) how the organization plans to market itself to its ESPN Deportes audience, and what talent the company hopes to employ.

Today we present the third part of our series on the latest promotion trying to establish itself as a successful organization at the national level.

FINDING THE MAGIC NAMES

While Bellator Fighting Championships gained some instant notoriety when its partnership with ESPN was revealed, the instant question that most MMA pundits asked was, "Who is going to fight for them?"

Unfortunately, Rebney isn't quite ready to tip his hand just yet.

"We're going to make some announcements relative to the officially signed fighters," Rebney said. "And the way we were hoping to do it, and that we anticipate doing it, is kind of announcing it in different weight divisions."

Of course, one name has already been officially linked to the new organization. Top-ranked lightweight Eddie Alvarez was recently confirmed as the first participant in the organization's lightweight tournament.

"As we finalize the matchups for the top eight at lightweight, our hope had been to kind of announce them all at once," Rebney said. "And obviously fighters talk and guys are excited, and that's magic. So obviously some of the names are kind of squeaking out."

A few other names have squeaked out as well, including Hector Lombard, Jorge Masvidal, Wilson Reis, Paulo Filho and War Machine. Rebney wouldn't confirm that list, but did little to deny the possibility.

"All of those names sound magical to me," Rebney said. "I'm very, very happy that we've been able to sign some really top-tier, great, world-class guys that are willing to step in and compete in this tournament format and really just kind of put it to the test."

Rebney believes the organization will ultimately strike a balance between established fighters and up-and-coming talent.

"We wanted to have enough competitors over the four weight classes so that there was some substantial variety. That there were seasoned, world-class competitors that people looked at and could recognize were amongst the best in the world. We wanted to sprinkle in younger fighters, the 6-0, the 7-0, the 8-0 guys that everybody kind of feels like, 'Hey, this guy could be the real deal but he really hasn't fought at the elite level yet. Let's see what happens.'"

HEALTH CONCERNS

With Bellator Fighting Championships committed to an aggressive 12-week taping schedule, further questions have been issued regarding the organization's ability to deal with the inevitable injuries and medical suspensions that will arise during the tournament.

Rebney recognizes the challenge that lies ahead but believes his group has put together the best possible plan of action.

"We structured the tournaments in a way that its full run is a 12-week period, three months," Rebney said. "We recognize that based on a cut -- or based on a commission suspension -- a guy could fight in his first fight in week No. 1 and then get a 30-day, or a 45, or even a 60-day (suspension). So what we did is we built in the flexibility with the network, and with our structure in terms of the format of the show, so that we can move the fights around.

"So if a guy wins, and yet gets a 30-day, or a 45, or whatever that suspension might be based on having had a fight and the commission handing it down, we can move the fight back to a later date. And then fill, because of course we have four different divisions -- feather, light, welter and middle -- and then fill with other fights so that you're continually seeing tournament fights as a fan watching on TV."

Bellator will also be able to fill air time with single fights that are not held as part of the planned tournaments. But the group's plan was developed in hopes that winners will be able to continue to the completion of their bracket.

"You've got sprinkled in with tournament fights feature bouts featuring great light-heavies and heavies, bantams, and the rest of the guys that round out our stable of fighters," Rebney said. "What we want to try to avoid at all costs is having a guy win and then because of time constraints be unable to continue in the tournament. So we built that in to allow for that type of flexibility and give. And I think we've got enough time where we can make it work and we can keep the winners in play."

ESPN DEPORTES?

With Rebney's grand plans and a budding relationship with ESPN, many have wondered why Bellator Fighting Championships has elected for a Spanish-language distribution with ESPN Deportes.

Rebney believes the brass at ESPN recognized the potential market the Hispanic community represents.

"I think that, and this is just my conjecture having spent a lot of time with them, I think the decision makers at ESPN are probably very aware of the Hispanic consumers' comfort level and familiarity with the fighting sports," Rebney said. "And I think that probably was a lynch pin relative to ESPN Deportes embracing this programming so strongly."

Rebney said the channel, while currently not in the majority of American cable homes, can be added to most anyone's programming simply and cost-effectively.

"Deportes is available all throughout the country," Rebney said. "You can always call your local cable operator and Deportes to your programming with a lot of ease. It's relatively inexpensive to do so, and that's something we're talking to a lot of people about."

Rebney believes the Hispanic community's proven track record of supporting fight sports presents an impressive potential fan base.

"Deportes is ultimately, I feel, a great launch pad for us," Rebney said. "You have the Hispanic consumer in the United States that has never had a real MMA show that's been focused and directed toward that market segment.

"Looking at the trends in terms of buy rates on pay-per-view -- look at Hispanic fight fans. When you look at the fighters that have become superstars, it's the Marco Antonio Barreras, it's the Erik Moraleses, it's the Julios Cesar Chavezes. It's guys that literally fight in a phone booth. And if there's any boxers -- I don't think there's many similarities in the world between boxers and mixed martial artists -- but if there's any boxers who more closely resemble the intensity level of mixed martial artists, it's those guys that plant their feet and take three shots to get one.

"And so when I look at the Hispanic consumer, I see a consumer-base that has shown a huge allegiance to the fighting sports, get tied up and wrapped up in it, disproportionately buy pay-per-views, and yet to this point have been virtually ignored by mixed martial arts promoters in terms of really focusing on a show with on-air talent speaking Spanish, and with 40 percent or so of the fighters being from South America, Central America, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain, etc.

Rebney doesn't view Deportes as the final destination for Bellator Fighting Championships. But the Hispanic community's familiarity with fight sports will allow the organization and the network to explore future opportunities for MMA programming on the world's most powerful sports television network.

"We just thought of it as an amazing, amazing launch pad for what we're doing," Rebney said. "And of course to be the first mixed martial arts promoter to have an allegiance and an exclusive engagement with any member of the ESPN family, from my perspective, is just gold. We've been working on this for over two-and-a-half years with them trying to put the right deal in place. We couldn't be happier. They are the best at what they do."

THE LIVE FIGHT EXPERIENCE

While Bellator Fighting Championships' success will certainly be measured by the television ratings it can earn, Rebney said the experience of fans in attendance has not been overlooked.

"Whether you go to a live mixed martial arts event, whether you go to a live boxing event -- any kind of live sporting event you go to -- if the house is packed and there's thousands of people there, and they're going nuts and they've got a vested interest, and they're off their feet and they're excited, that's what translates to great television," Rebney said. "So we're going to have live crowds at every single event."

Rebney said the organization will be filming the events at venues across the U.S.

"We're going to be traversing the country going to casinos and different venues," Rebney said. "We're going to be working in concert with a series of casinos and venue partners to heavily, heavily pre-promote these shows. Bring the fighters in in advance, do major press outings to try to put as many butts in seats as humanly possible."

Rebney said thats fans who attend any of the 12 first-season shows can plan on viewing a full night of quality fights.

"Obviously as we get less and less fighters in the tournament structure as guys qualify for the semis, and ultimately finals, the number of supporting and feature bouts will go up dramatically," Rebney said. "If you come to a live show, you'll get to see 12 to 13 fights on the card.

"There will be a lot of competition, a lot of stuff being taped. We've got a lot of young fighters in different weight divisions that, although are not part of the tournament right now, we want to really test and match-up the right way so that we can see if they are potentially the right fits for a second season tournament or for different weight class tournaments, etc."

While television is the driving force behind Bellator Fighting Championships' plan, the live fight experience will also be monitored closely by the organization.

"Ultimately when you're producing a show for television, all the people at home sitting on the couch should feel like they're missing something. Ultimately, if you're doing it right and you've got the right matchups, and the right fights, and the right back stories, and the right production, the people at home should be looking at going, 'Wow. If this gets anywhere near my home, I've got to buy a ticket because I feel like I'm missing something.'

"So that's really our focus. We will be all over the country at casinos and venues. We will be selling tickets and promoting it like crazy."

Feb 7, 2006
B.J. PENN: REALIZING THE DREAM, BUILDING A LEGEND

"I run as hard as I can. I lift as much weights as I can. I do as much jiu-jitsu as I can. Why not take this as far as I can? You know? Just see how far you can go, for once in your life. Step up and see what you really could have done. That's what I want to do."

That is how B.J. Penn thinks. He doesn't dwell on wins and losses or how many championship belts collect dust on his mantle or how many fancy cars he can park in the garage. He operates on a different plane, a plane reserved for icons and legends.

"I want to leave a mark in this sport. When I was 22-years-old, I wanted to become the lightweight champion of the world." Penn did that. He has also held and walked away from the welterweight title that he will soon fight for.

"I'm going to be 30-years-old next month and I want to become the best ever. And this is my chance," he said of his iconic bout with fellow legend seeker Georges St. Pierre.

The bout will be a rematch of a controversial split decision that Penn lost to St. Pierre nearly three years ago. But for Penn, it's not about avenging that loss or even capturing St. Pierre's UFC welterweight title that will be on the line at UFC 94.

"Our first fight doesn't even come into play," he told MMAWeekly.com. "He's a different man; I'm a different man. It has nothing to do with this fight. It's like I'm fighting a new person."

It's not about the rematch. It's not about the title. It's about the fight to be bigger than the game. There are plenty of contenders to Penn's own lightweight championship, but that's not where he dwells. He dwells in the childhood dreams of becoming the next Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, or John Elway.

"Kenny Florian is great, Joe Stevenson is great, Sean Sherk is great, and Tyson Griffin is great. I'll never say anybody can beat me, but maybe they might do damn good and maybe do something to me, but do I sit there and put my head down on the pillow and think, 'Man, if I had one chance. Man, I wish I could fight one of those guys.' There's no way.

"But do I sit down on my bed and think, 'Man, I got the opportunity; I'm fighting Georges St. Pierre. Half the people in the world think Georges St. Pierre is the best fighter. The other half say it's me.' You know what I mean? It's just a no-brainer. That's what I think about the whole time," says Penn with visions of being seen an iconoclast dancing across his eyes.

"I got the opportunity, the lightweight champ versus the welterweight champ... This is that fight. This is that Rocky-Apollo Creed, that Hulk Hogan-Ultimate Warrior, that Joe Frazier-Ali. This is it."

Granted, he's in a sport where there are rules and parameters that are to be followed. That has been one of UFC president Dana White's greatest challenges when it comes to the goals of B.J. Penn.

"The problem I always talk about with B.J. is trying to contain this kid and keep him focused on staying at 155 and defending his title there," said White recently. "Should B.J. win, one of the things he would do is defend two titles at the same time. Nobody has ever done that (in the UFC). It's never been done."

That might still be a bit harder to pull off than White states, although he has readily admitted that he and Penn have butted heads in the past over such matters and are likely to do so again, especially if Penn defeats St. Pierre on Jan. 31.

The Hawaiian isn't sure, win or lose, if he'll be motivated to defend the belt that currently sets him atop the 155-pound division. "I honestly don't know the answer to that question," he responded when questioned if he would defend the lightweight title. "One fight at a time, we've got to see exactly where my head is after this fight."

Not skipping past St. Pierre, a fight that flies in the face of White's plans for Penn is something that puts the twinkle in his eye that defending his lightweight belt against another contender doesn't seem to.

"I wonder how I'm ever gonna be able to top this in my career, you know?" as Penn considers not a mandated defense of his current championship, but the challenge of another mega-fight, another stepping stone to building his legend as the best fighter on the planet.

"I'm definitely looking for mega-fights and if Anderson Silva is one of them, why not shoot for the stars?"

That is not a fight that the head of the UFC foresees for Penn, even if he does defeat St. Pierre. "B.J. doesn't have the frame to carry that kind of weight," stated White of a challenge to Silva's 185-pound divisional title.

"Is he tough enough to do it? Absolutely. Is he talented enough to go up there and do it? Absolutely. Does that mean he should do it? Absolutely not. He doesn't have the frame to carry that kind of weight. And it just makes no sense, no sense at all."

Penn would beg to differ, at least if all goes as planned against St. Pierre. " If I go in there and just destroy St. Pierre in two or three minutes, could (White) really argue about it?

"In the end, it's the fans that are gonna want it. If I sit there and I say, after I just beat Georges St. Pierre in three minutes, and say, 'I want to fight so-and-so.' Do you think the fans are gonna say, 'Boo,' we won't pay for that?"

That, however, is a fight for another day. Right now, Penn must focus on the dream at hand. If he is to secure his legacy as the best fighter ever, Penn knows he has the culmination of his struggles towards that goal standing across the Octagon from him on Jan. 31.

"This is that moment. This is that hour. This is that moment that I've been waiting for my whole life."

Feb 7, 2006
Jeremy Horn vs Rousimar Palhares UFC 93 fight possible for Dublin

Brazilian jiu-jitsu submission specialist Rousimar Palhares (8-2) and mixed martial arts journeyman Jeremy Horn (80-18-5) are expected to collide in a 185-pound tilt at UFC 93 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland, on January 17, according to a report confirmed by InTheGuard.tv.

The up-and-coming Palhares recently dropped a unanimous decision to Dan Henderson at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” on September 6. Once again, however, he demonstrated just how dangerous he can be on the ground — Henderson did everything he could to keep the fight standing.

Palhares tapped the experienced Ivan Salaverry with a super slick armbar at UFC 84: “Ill Will” in his Octagon debut back in May. It was so slick, in fact, it earned him a $70,000 “Submission of the Night” bonus.

Horn is on a two fight skid since returning to the promotion, losing to Dean Lister and Nate Marquardt, respectively, via submission (guillotine chokes), which does not bode well for “Gumby” against a beast like Palhares.

In fact, Horn has won just two of his last six fights.He was supposed to return against Wilson Gouveia at UFC Fight Night 15 on September 17 before an injury forced him off the card.

Regardless, Horn — a 103-fight mixed martial arts veteran — is a legend in the sport at just 32-years-old, meaning that he has the ability to win a fight every time he competes. But it’s not going to be easy — Palhares is very well-versed in submissions and is extremely powerful

UFC 93 will feature two of the world’s most elite 205-pound fighters, Rich “Ace” Franklin (24-3) and Dan “Hollywood” Henderson (23-7), duking it out in the main event. And Brazilian powerhouse Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will return and look to get back in the win column as he takes on UFC pioneer Mark “The Hammer” Coleman.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce ‘Greatest Knockouts’ premieres on NBC Saturday

SAN JOSE, Calif. — A special 30 minute episode featuring a collection of the 10 greatest knockouts in Strikeforce mixed martial arts (MMA) history will premiere on NBC Saturday night.

The all-new “Strikeforce on NBC” episode will showcase the handiwork of some of Strikeforce’s most lethal competitors, including reigning world middleweight (185 lb. limit) champion, Cung Le; two-time world MMA champion, Frank Shamrock; and superstars Kazuo “The Grabaka Hitman” Misaki and Duane “Bang” Ludwig.

Le’s classic knockouts of old rivals Mike Altman and Brian “Mr. Unbreakable” Warren will be displayed as will Shamrock’s 21 second decimation of longtime, bitter adversary, Cesar Gracie.

The NBC program consists of the following bouts:

Cung Le vs. Mike Altman
Frank Shamrock vs. Cesar Gracie
Luke Stewart vs. Bryson Kamaka
Joe “Diesel” Riggs vs. Eugene “The Wolf” Jackson
Kazuo “The Grabaka Hitman” Misaki vs. Joe “Diesel” Riggs
Duane “Bang” Ludwig vs. Tony “The Freak” Fryklund
Terry Martin vs. Cory “The One” Devela
Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello vs. David “Tank” Abbott
Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello vs. Carter Williams
Cung Le vs. Brian “Mr. Unbreakable” Warren
Fans have the opportunity to vote for their favorite knockout in a poll being hosted online at Strikeforce’s official Web site, www.strikeforce.com. Results of the survey will be displayed on the homepage next week.

“Strikeforce on NBC,” the first 52-week mixed martial arts series in network television history, airs every Saturday, immediately following NBC’s hit poker tournament series, “Poker After Dark” (check local listings). MMA legend Ken Shamrock and award-winning ESPN announcer, Lon McEachern, co-host each program and provide expert, play-by-play commentary.

Feb 7, 2006
Brian Bowles looking forward to title shot with win over Will Ribeiro

Many may have yet to have heard the name Brian Bowles but all of that will change after he faces off with Will Ribeiro on the main card of WEC 37 on December 3. Bowles has compiled an undefeated record of 6-0 in his mixed martial arts career while finishing every one of his opponents while Ribeiro holds an impressive record of 10-1.

Both men are seen as two of the top fighters in an increasingly stacked bantamweight division. This bout is of the utmost relevance to the 135 pound weight class as the winner is sure to face off with the winner off the Miguel Torres/Manny Tapia fight on the same card.

Going into his seventh professional mixed martial arts contest against Ribeiro, the Athens, Georgia native has no interest of taking things slowly during his career. Already facing and defeating top bantamweights Charlie Valencia, Marcos Galvao and Damacio Page during his 3-0 run in the WEC, the 28-year old with a knack for finishing his opponents told FiveOuncesOfPain.com in an exclusive interview that he is eager for his chance at championship glory.

Cory Brady: Thanks for taking this time with us Brian. How are you feeling right now physically in the days leading up to your fight with Ribeiro?

Brian Bowles: I feel really good. I actually feel better now than I ever have coming up for a fight. I got some really good training in. I’ve traveled around, went out of state and trained with some different guys for this one and everything’s coming together really good. I went to Ultimate Fitness for a few weeks and trained with Urijah Faber and those guys. Most of my training is done right here in Athens but then I’ll go down to Atlanta once a week and train with some other guys.

Cory Brady: So what do you know about Ribeiro and how do you feel you guys match up?

Brian Bowles: I know he trained with an Olympic boxing team and he has a brown belt in jiu-jitsu so he sounds like he’s really well rounded. From watching his tapes he seems real unpredictable and he seems to push the pace. He’s a tough opponent. I don’t think you’re going to get any easy opponents in the WEC anymore.

Cory Brady: Have you been focusing on any specific element while training for Ribeiro?

Brian Bowles: I’m just training like I always do. Just making sure that I’m in the best cardio shape that I can be and just watch some tape on him to see what he does but I don’t really change my game depending on what my opponent does. I just kind of watch them and see what they do and just train like I always train. Just train hard and make sure to get all of my boxing, grappling and wrestling in and just try to be in great shape.

Cory Brady: You’ve face some really tough opposition throughout your undefeated career. Do you think you would be in line for a title shot if you win impressively against Ribeiro?

Brian Bowles: I think so. I think it’s between me and him who should get the title shot after this but I can’t make the decisions for them I have no idea what they’re thinking.

Cory Brady: Would you be ready if you were approached about a title shot this early on in your career?

Brian Bowles: Oh definitely. Might as well.

Cory Brady: How do you feel like you match up with the current bantamweight champion Miguel Torres?

Brian Bowles: He’s a tough guy. I think I match up well with him. You never really know until you get out there and start mixing it up with somebody but I think I match up well with whoever I fight.

Cory Brady: Obviously you will be paying very close attention to the bout between Miguel Torres and Manny Tapia at WEC 37. Any thoughts on who you think has the edge in that one?

Brian Bowles: You never know in MMA, the better fighter doesn’t always win but I think that Miguel is going to be too much for him. I think he has too much reach on him.

Cory Brady: So you’ve finished every single one of your fights. Do you look for the finish or is it something that just comes?

Brian Bowles: I’m always looking for the finish. I’m always looking to just get out of there and get the win. They just seem to be coming though. I don’t know what it is. When it comes it comes and you have to make the best of it.

Cory Brady: So what does the future hold for you. What are your goals in mixed martial arts?

Brian Bowles: I hope to have a long career. I want to stay healthy, keep fighting and get bigger and bigger as the sport grows. Hopefully make some money and make a name for myself.

Feb 7, 2006
Alistair Overeem: “I do see myself defeating Brock Lesnar”

Alistair Overeem has reinvented himself since making the move up to the heavyweight division. The Dutch fighter has gone undefeated in his last five fights while obtaining the Strikeforce heavyweight championship along the way. Big wins over big names have turned many heads and have many mentioning Overeem’s name when discussing the sports top heavyweights, as both UFC veteran Paul Buentello and former PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt have both fallen victim to “The Demolition Man” in recent outings.

Overeem’s most impressive performance of late came against the always dangerous Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at DREAM 6. Unfortunately it was a performance that was taken away to some extent due to the bouts no contest ruling. Overeem dominated Cro Cop and cut him while utilizing brutal ground and pound before landing a couple questionable knees in the clinch that caused the Croatian to decide he was no longer able to continue.

The Strikeforce champion feels like Cro Cop was looking for a way out and confirmed in an exclusive interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com that he will have a chance to set the record straight when the two meet again at the K-1 Dynamite New Year’s Eve event.

Overeem is not the kind of fighter that is content with fighting two or three times a year. He has found a renewed hunger to compete and has fought four times in just the last five months. Since his controversial contest with Cro Cop, the Golden Glory-trained fighter returned to action on November ninth to face off with the power punching Gary Goodridge at Shooto Holland: Ultimate Glory 10 in Arnhem, Netherlands.

“I expected a hard battle as I think Gary is a hard puncher with a lot of experience,” said Overeem.

Overeem was able to utilize his superior clinch work to do some serious damage to Goodridge before taking him to the ground, obtaining side control and securing the Kimura victory early in the first round.

“My opening attack caught him by surprise,” he explained.

Wasting no time in looking for a future opponent, Overeem confirmed with FiveOuncesOfPain.com who he will be facing next.

“I’m expecting to fight Mirko at the new years event,” said the powerful Dutchman.

In the pairs previous meeting Overeem managed to take the Croatian to the canvas with relative ease. While in the top position, Overeem was able to dish out plenty of damage in the form of short punches and hammerfists that caused a nasty cut above Cro Cop’s eye.

“The game plan was to take Mirco apart,” said Overeem.”One piece at a time.”

Cro Cop looked to be nearing the end in his bout with Overeem before he was struck with a questionably low knee that caused him to feel as if he could not continue. Overeem feels as if he was denied the finish victory that he had coming to him.

“I’m 100% sure I would have finished him if the fight wasn’t called off,” said Overeem. “I think he knew he was losing and took the easy way out.”

When asked whether or not he will be looking to win decisively this time around Overeem was straight and to the point.

“I always look to finish my opponent,” said the 28-year old.

While most of the MMA world had there eyes glued to the TV screen when Randy Couture was recently dethroned by former WWE powerhouse Brock Lesnar, Overeem was no exception.

“It was a good performance but I see some weak spots in Brock’s game plan,” said Overeem. “Although I think he is a very interesting opponent, I’m looking forward to see more of Brock’s fights and seeing him develop more.”

While we were on the subject of Lesnar, I just had to ask Overeem if he would be interested in facing the new UFC champion at some point down the road. I got a very straight forward answer.

“Yes, and I do see myself defeating Brock Lesnar,” said Overeem.

When most mixed martial arts fans think about Overeem and his recent accomplishments he has made in the sports heavyweight division they wonder when he will finally be making the move over to the UFC. So I had to ask him if that was a move that he would welcome at some point.

“Yes,” said Overeem. “Although I am very happy with my current contracts with Dream and Strikeforce

Feb 7, 2006
California commission skips drug testing at Strikeforce “Destruction”

Fighters competing on last Friday’s Strikeforce “Destruction” event in San Jose, Calif. at the HP Pavilion were not subjected to drug screening of any kind, according to a report by MMA Weekly’s “Insider Blog.”

The report indicates that new California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Director Bill Douglas canceled drug testing for the event due to his decision to completely revamp the state’s drug screening process.

Douglas revealed to the site that the CSAC is working to finish the new drug screening program and that testing could resume in the state as early as next week.

A former staff analyst for the CSAC the past three years, Douglas was promoted to oversee the board of commissioners while the commission transitions from the leadership of outgoing Executive Director Armando Garcia to a full-time replacement.

Garcia tendered his resignation earlier this month but he will serve out his remaining term through Dec. 31, at which point his contract with the CSAC will expire. For all intents and purposes, Douglas is running the commission with Garcia only remaining Executive Director in name only.

During Garcia’s three-year tenure as the head commissioner of the CSAC, the state’s drug testing policies were some of the most controversial of any regulatory body in the United States.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Signs Major German TV Deal

After almost 5 years since its last appearance on German TV, the Ultimate Fighting Champion has finalized a deal with one of Germany’s biggest broadcasters. According to a report by the Spiegel (via Baz Online) starting from 2009 the UFC will air its popular reality TV show “The Ultimate Fighter” on German broadcaster “Pro Sieben”.

ProSieben is the second biggest privately owned TV company in Germany and consistently of one the highest rating broadcasters on German TV. The channel is part of the ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG group one of Europe’s biggest media conglomerates.

Pro Sieben realise heavily on foreign programming especially content form the US. Its the is the German broadcaster of numerous popular foreign shows including Desperate Housewives, ER, Grey's Anatomy, The Simpsons and Two and a Half Men. Its also the home of the German version of American Idol. The popular channel is distributed in several other counties throughout Central and Eastern Europe including Austria and Switzerland.

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM Vs. K-1! Kawajiri And Mousasi Return

Two new fights were announced for Dynamite!! today. Tatsuya Kawajiri will make his K-1 debut as he takes on K-1 MAX veteran Takeda Kozo and DREAM Middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi will take on K-1 veteran Musashi in a K-1 rules fight.

Update: FEG President Tanigawa said that it is up to the doctor whether Masato will participate on NYE or not.

Update #2: Mousasi wants Musashi to change his ring name to his real name, Akio Mori, if Mousasi is victorious. In Japanese, Mousasi and Musashi are pronounced the same (Mu-sa-shi).

Update #3: Dynamite!! will be aired on NYE in Japan from 19:00 to 23:54. Before that on the same channel, there will be a Boxing match from 18:00 to 19:00. Takefumi Sakata will defend his WBA Flyweight title against Thai Denkaosan Kaovichit.

Update #4: Tanigawa also said that he wants to construct more K-1 X DREAM fights from this year. He said that fighters such as Badr Hari and Semmy Schilt want to challenge MMA from the K-1 side. Any such announcements will have to wait until after the K-1 WGP Finals in December.

FieLDS Dynamite!! ~Yuuki no Chikara 2008~
Date: December 31st, 2008
Place: Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

Middleweight Fight:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura

Lightweight Fight:
Joachim Hansen vs. J.Z.Calvan

K-1 Rules Fights:
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Takeda Kozo
Gegard Mousasi vs. Musashi

K-1 Koshien Final Fight:
HIROYA/Shimada vs. Kusakabe/Urabe

K-1 Koshien Semifinal Fights:
HIROYA vs. Shota Shimada
Ryuya Kusakabe vs. Koya Urabe

Possible Fights:
Mirko CroCop vs. Alistair Overeem
Kimbo Slice vs. Seth Petruzelli

Possible Participants:
Choi Hong Man
Semmy Schilt
Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro

Feb 7, 2006
EDDIE ALVAREZ: "WE'RE STILL TRYING TO GET ON THE DREAM CARD FOR NEW YEAR'S"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3886.html?PHPSESSID=ea956ffe9d5f8b81ba362ab59b612406
If you missed the online chat session with top MMA lightweight Eddie Alvarez, check out the entire transcript to see what he had to say. "The sign-on bonus was very good and the deal we got makes me one of the highest paid lightweights in the world. We gotta get compensated for what we're doing here...I believe Monte talked to Joe Silva from the UFC and Joe threw out a number that Monte wasn't happy with and that's why we're not with the UFC," he stated and you don't want to miss what else he had to say about his recent signing with Bellator FC, the reason why he's not with the UFC, plus his thoughts on Kenny Florian's recent win over Joe Stevenson, the upcoming clash between BJ Penn and Georges St. Pierre and much more.