MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Mach Sakurai Interview

Hayato Mach Sakurai, who just came back from his training in the U.S., had a public training at Mach Dojo on Sep 19. He came back to Japan on Sep 17.
Mach:
I stayed in the U.S. for 40 days and trained with Rich Franklin, Matt Brown, Jorge Gurgel and other UFC fighters at Matt Hume Gym and Pat Miletich Gym. What did I learn from training in the US? It's hard to explain, but you will see in my fight. I went to see "UFC 88" because Matt Brown participated in. At the event, I saw Chonan and Yoshida. Chonan asked me to be his second and I accepted. Oh, I saw Dana White and introduced myself. My opponent, Hironaka, is developing himself right now and also has experiences. I think he is a tough opponent. I haven't made any fight plan yet. I have trained with him before and I'm excited to him more than fighting an unknown foreign fighter. (Hironaka said Mach was his idol) I hope he won't punch my face then. I honestly don't like to fight Japanese fighters; however, I don't complain about what a promoter decided. I hope I fight not Japanese but fighters from other countries after winning this fight. I know him pretty well, and I should have a smart game plan. I have already started dieting. I'm having hard time losing weight because I built muscles in my recent training, or maybe because I'm getting old. I'm in good condition, for I escaped from Japan and stayed in Seattle this summer.

May 17, 2004
It's about money. KJ like it or not is their champion and he should get paid like one. Fuck getting paid less for fighting a challenger to your title who you already hold a victory over.
you do realize how much money noons would have made off sponsorship from being the headliner on a primetime cbs show

May 17, 2004
Alvarez and Diaz could vie for vacant EliteXC lightweight title

While EliteXC officials declined to offer specifics regarding a possible fight to determine a new lightweight champion for the promotion, sources informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com earlier in the week that the company had been considering an option that would involve Nick Diaz and Eddie Alvarez competing for the newly vacant title in a featured bout during a tentative Nov. 8 card.

The title became vacant after EliteXC announced Friday that K.J. Noons had been stripped of the belt for his refusal to defend the title against Diaz.

Alvarez, who was recently married and is currently on his honeymoon, is just 1-0 while competing under the EliteXC banner but has increased his profile and is considered by many to be a top-ten lightweight following his 3-0 performance during DREAM’s lightweight Grand Prix in Japan.

The Philadelphia native recorded a TKO over Brazilian Andre “Dida” Amade during the GP’s first round in March. He then advanced to the second round in May, where he recorded a unanimous decision victory over Joachim Hansen in a bout that many pundits consider to be a candidate for “Fight of the Year.”

Alvarez then won his semifinal matchup at DREAM.5 in July against Tatsuya Kawajiri via TKO at 7:35 of round 1. However, he was unable compete in the final, which was held the same night, due to injuries sustained in the win over Kawajiri. Hansen would go on to win the tournament after having won a reserve match earlier in the evening.

Alvarez began his career as an undersized and undefeated welterweight prospect. He was 10-0 and the reigning BodogFIGHT 170 lbs. champion until suffering a devastating loss against Nick Thompson during the promotion’s “Clash of the Nations” event in April of 2007. Since dropping to lightweight, Alvarez is undefeated. Overall, he is 15-1 in his career.

If the Diaz vs. Alvarez match is made official, it will mark a second chance for Diaz to claim the promotion’s 160 lbs. title. Last November during EliteXC’s “Renegade” show in Corpus Christi, Texas, the heavily-favored Diaz lost to Noons in a bout to determine the first-ever EliteXC lightweight champion.

Since losing to Noons via first round TKO by way of a doctor’s stoppage due to cuts, Diaz has gone 3-0 with wins over Thomas Denny, Muhsin Corbbrey, and Katsuya Inoue. Like Alvarez, Diaz is also a former welterweight competitor.
this sounds like a better match than diaz-noons anyway

Feb 7, 2006
Vitor Belfort back at Affliction 2

With a broken hand after Affliction’s first edition with a knockout over Terry Martin, Vitor Belfort was scrapped from the second edition due to recover his injury, but the postponement of the event to 2009 was good news for the athlete, able to recover in time to fight again. “My hand is getting better. I’m doing a lot of physical training and physiotherapy. I didn’t care about the postponement, I wasn’t going to fight anyway”, jokes the fighter, the confirmed to TATAME.com he’ll be at Affliction’s next show.
“I’ll surely be back. I spoke with Tom Atencio and what they decide is good for me, I’m ready to face anyone. I the want so, I can face Fedor (Emelianenko)”, said the middleweight fighter, that doesn’t know who’ll he fight yet. Before being scrapped due the hand injury, Belfort confirmed TATAME he’d fight Matt Lindland for the middleweight WAMMA belt, but he doesn’t know if Lindland will be his opponent in 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
Machida wants to face Rashad Evans

After being scrapped from UFC 89 because of Thiago Silva’s back injury, Lyoto Machda keeps training in Brazil, but less than before. With his back to the octagon still undefined, Machida waits for the UFC to set his next bout. “I continue training, I can’t be caught unprepared for a fight, but I’m training less now, doing only some physical training, Jiu-Jitsu and Karatê… They didn’t say anything, but told me that this fight (with Thiago Silva) still can happen”, said the fighter, who would need to wait for his recovery to come back to the octagon. But if it depended on his decision, he’d come back tomorrow with another opponent. “I’m waiting for any situation, or face him, if he gets better, or having another opponent. I would like to face Rashad Evans, and the winner gets a title shot, but now it seems like they will put him against Forrest Griffin… I’d like to face him and the winner gets Griffin, it’s a good way”, suggests Machida, who waits for a top opponent for his next fight.
“I don’t know how it’s gonna be, I’m ready to fight, but don’t wanna fight anyone, because I’m building my way in UFC and I wanna fight the top fighters so that they could give me a title shot after”, says. Between the option in the light-heavyweight Top 10 ranking is Maurício Shogun, getting better from a knee injury and waiting to fight in December, still without and opponent. If Machida could choose, another Brazilian fight could happen. “I never chose opponents, I leave it to UFC and my managers, what they want for me is good. If they think fight Shogun is better I’ll do it, I’m prepared to for everything”, guarantees Machida.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
you do realize how much money noons would have made off sponsorship from being the headliner on a primetime cbs show
Nick Diaz would also make sponsorship money. Guaranteed money from the promotion that you're their supposed champion is the issue. It's obvious EliteXC wants Diaz to be their champion and that's fine. If they're confident in Diaz's ability to take out Noons they should pay them same and after Diaz wins pay him whatever you were paying him before.

Like him or not Noons did beat Diaz and then startched Yves Edwards. Won't matter much in the end anyway if Eddie Alvarez gets thrown in the mix .. neither of them will fuck with him.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
For anyone interested just a reminder ..

SHERDOG.COM IS STREAMING STRIKEFORCE FROM THE PLAYBOY MANSION TONIGHT FOR FREE AT 10:30 PM ET!!

Misaki vs. Riggs should be pretty dope and Thomson, Ishida, Martin are all on the card. Should be a dope event, especially for free.

Here's the link to the complete fight card and stream info ..

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/event/strikeforce-set-for-saturday-14469

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
MY BOY ERIC LAWSON JUST CHOKED THAT FOOL OUT!!! YEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL AT THE RING ANNOUNCER SAYING CONN CORD LOLL

i'm recording it so ill post shit later

Feb 7, 2006
Misaki Stops Riggs at 'Mansion II'

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Kazuo Misaki stopped Joe Riggs on second-round strikes in the Strikeforce “Strikeforce at the Mansion II” main event on Saturday at the Playboy Mansion.

Scoring with a nice right hand after he was dropped by Riggs, Misaki finished the bout with a flurry of shots and forced the stoppage 2:29 into round two. Misaki (21-8-2) entered the fight -- his first in the cage and second in the U.S. -- hoping to make an impression on American fans.

The two circled for the first minute and a half. With both men reluctant to engage, a restless crowd became vocal in its displeasure with the lack of action. Misaki scored with a nice right low kick, and the dance resumed once more. Another low kick put Misaki ahead in the first round, and Riggs seemed unable to let his strikes fly until he connected on a short left cross.

“In the first round, I was just feeling him out,” Misaki said through an interpreter. “Both of us were figuring out what to do.”

The second opened with more tentative offense from the two veterans, as Misaki landed a couple of body shots in the opening minute and Riggs stalked without firing; the American then ate a body shot before connecting on a straight left. Riggs drilled Misaki with a big left moments later. The UFC veteran pounced and landed a kick, but Misaki countered with a pinpoint right cross that drove Riggs halfway across the cage and onto his back. The Japanese middleweight seized the chance to finish the fight and rained down shots -- though many missed the covered-up Riggs -- until the match was stopped by referee Josh Rosenthal.

“I’m happy with the win,” Misaki said. “This is a famous place to fight.”

Riggs (28-11) was unhappy with the Rosenthal’s decision to intervene and claimed he had never before complained about a stoppage.

“I was hit with one punch the whole fight -- the one he knocked me down with,” Riggs said. “I had my hands covering my head. But it is what it is.”

On the heels of his surprising decision victory over Gilbert Melendez, Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson was impressive against Ashe Bowman and secured a quick finish in a non-title tilt.

Thomson (16-2) used low kicks early to set the offensive tone. He then delivered a quick right hand that sent Bowman falling against the cage. Thomson pounced and scored with a flurry of punches before the bout was stopped 1:14 into the first round.

“When [referee] Herb [Dean] stepped in,” Thomson said, “I wasn’t sure if he was stopping it or checking to see if he was alright.”

Meanwhile, UFC veteran Terry Martin scored a third-round TKO against Cory Devela in a closely contested middleweight match.

Devela -- who landed a head kick in the second and a flying knee in the third -- drove home a low right kick in the final round, but Martin (18-5) answered. The heavy-handed Chicagoan dropped Devela (9-2) with a sweeping left hook and followed up with a right hand, forcing Dean’s intervention 2:08 into round three.

“You have to take your hat off to Cory Devela; he fought a smart fight,” Martin said. “I’d been catching him, but I was just grazing him. I knew it was just a matter of time.”

Perhaps no one on the card impressed more than Mitsuhiro Ishida.

One of the world’s premiere lightweights and the first man to defeat Melendez, Ishida (17-4-1) needed little more than a minute to ditch Justin Wilcox. The Japanese standout secured a fight-ending armbar 1:21 into round one, as he won for the 11th time in 13 bouts. Wilcox (5-3), meanwhile, saw his four-fight winning streak grind to a halt.

In other action, former Bodog Fight middleweight champion Trevor Prangley earned a workmanlike decision victory against a game but outmatched Anthony Ruiz. Judges scored the bout 30-27, 30-26 and 29-28 in Prangley’s favor.

“He’s improved a lot since the first time I fought him,” said Prangley, who submitted Ruiz at a Strikeforce event in October 2006. “I always like to finish fights. He’s a good fighter and a tough guy.”

Ruiz (21-12) forced the South African against the cage early and attempted to work in some knees. Prangley landed a nice left knee in a subsequent exchange, but Ruiz battled back and landed a right hand that buzzed his opponent. A late injury replacement for Renato “Babalu” Sobral, Prangley took down Ruiz and mounted him in the first round, securing back control as Ruiz attempted to spin out.

The pair battled for hand position for more than a minute, as Prangley was unable to sink in the choke. Ruiz escaped into Prangley’s guard, only to have the South African spring up as the pair threw punches, most of them missing, to end the round. Prangley (18-5) continued to pressure and nearly cinched an armbar in the final 20 seconds of round two.

Ruiz missed a big right to open the final stanza, as Prangley slipped the punch and shot in for another takedown. Bleeding from his left eye, Ruiz shielded himself as Prangley worked punches from the top. Ruiz stood, only to be taken down once more. Prangley landed a pair of hard knees to the body, as Ruiz was unable to improve position.

One of the Strikeforce promotion’s prized young prospects earned his way back into the winner’s circle, as Luke Stewart submitted Jesse Juarez with an armbar 4:55 into the opening round.

Juarez pinned Stewart (6-1) against the cage in the opening seconds, as the pair hit the mat in a scramble. Juarez wound up in top position. Stewart rolled for a kneebar, but Juarez (6-5) defended, and the fighters eventually locked themselves in chest-to-back stand-up clinch. Stewart then scored a takedown and secured mount, dropping a few shots before he transitioned to an armbar and coaxed the tapout.

In a welterweight scrap, Brandon Magana scored a split decision win against the previously unbeaten Brandon Thatch. Magana (6-1) secured numerous takedowns and mounted Thatch (3-1) in the third. He also threatened with a choke late in the fight. All three judges scored the match 29-28, two of them in Magana’s favor.

Finally, Jesse Gillespie earned a split decision nod at Dave Martin’s expense in a light heavyweight tilt. Two of the judges scored the bout 29-28 in Gillespie’s favor; the third saw it 30-27 for the winless Martin (0-2). The victory snapped a two-fight losing streak for Gillespie (2-2).

Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU PAIRINGS SET, JOSH BARNETT ADDED

World Victory Road has announced the semi-final matches for the Sengoku Lightweight Grand Prix, which will take place on Nov. 1 at the Saitama Super Arena.

Two tournament favorites clash in the first semi-final match as Pancrase veteran Satoru Kitaoka faces off with Wajyutsu Keisyukai grappler Eiji Mitsuoka. Both fighters are coming off of quick submission victories at Sengoku 4. Kitaoka submitted Clay French with a heel hook in just 31 seconds while Mitsuoka submitted Rodrigo Damm with a rear naked choke in the opening round.

In the other final semi-final match, Cage Force lightweight champion Mizuto Hirota faces off against former DEEP lightweight champion Kazunori Yokota. Hirota pulled off the biggest upset in the tournament so far, knocking out IFL lightweight champion Ryan Schultz at Sengoku 4. Yokota won a workman-like decision over European lightweight Bojan Kosednar.

The winners of the semi-finals will meet later in the night in the tournament final with the winner earning the opportunity to fight former Pride lightweight champion Takanori Gomi for the Sengoku lightweight championship at Sengoku 7 on Jan 4.

Also announced for Sengoku 6 is the participation of Josh Barnett – ranked No. 3 in the world at heavyweight by MMAWeekly.com – although no opponent has been named as of yet.

Feb 7, 2006
BISPING INTERESTED, NOT OFFERED TUF 9 JOB YET

When it was announced on Wednesday night at UFC Fight Night that the 9th installment of the popular “Ultimate Fighter” series would feature a United States vs. United Kingdom format, the buzz began immediately as to who would serve as coaches.

The first choice that comes to mind for the U.K. team is former “Ultimate Fighter” season 3 winner, Michael Bisping, who is currently training for his UFC 89 bout against Chris Leben.

In an interview with MMAWeekly.com, Bisping disclosed that he would be interested in the position as coach, but as of right now he hasn’t been offered the spot.

“Definitely, I’m open to things,” Bisping said about the coaching opportunity. “I’ll be honest I haven’t heard anything, no one’s said anything to me. Right now I’m just focused on my fight, and I’m 100% focused on my fight right now. The UFC hasn’t said anything to me and I don’t know anything about it. But you know, it could be a possibility, but like I said I haven’t heard a thing.”

Bisping says he learned about the concept of the latest version of the popular reality show along with everybody else earlier this week and he looks forward to it.

“I saw it all over the internet the other night, U.K. vs. the U.S., I think it’s an amazing idea,” commented Bisping. “I think it might inject a little bit of life into the “Ultimate Fighter”. The “Ultimate Fighter” is a great show, but obviously you know it’s season after season, maybe this can mix it up a little bit.”

“I think it will make some funny goings on in the house as well you know. All to do with the language barrier and the cultural differences and things like that. I think it’s a great idea and I look forward to seeing it.”

One of the biggest factors about this season in Bisping’s mind is the chance for more British fighters to get on the big stage in the UFC. Many fighters have already debuted for the juggernaut promotion, but this could be the best opening yet.

“It’s going to give a lot of opportunities to a lot of U.K. fighters,” Bisping stated.

Bisping is currently working with Team Wolfslair to prepare him for the Oct 18 match-up against another “Ultimate Fighter” alum in Chris Leben. Once the fight is over, more details about the possibility of Bisping as a coach could start to surface.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC ZEROING IN ON SUMMER 2009 FOR PHILIPPINES

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has not hidden its desire to expand its brand across the world. The UFC has yet to return to Japan and Brazil, countries that they haven’t been to in many years, but they have recently expanded into Canada, following a strong building process in Northern Ireland and England.

“We're focused on Germany, the Philippines, and Australia next,” UFC president Dana White stated earlier this year. “Germany is what we’re looking at next.”

Some of the speculation about Germany has quieted recently, but don’t be surprised if the promotion announces a date at the O2 World Arena in Berlin sometime soon.

“The Philippines is definitely happening, we're working on that right now, Australia and Germany, those three are right now,” said White.

After UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta and Octagon star Chuck Liddell’s recent publicity junket to the Philippines drew more than 4,000 fans to a one-hour open work featuring Liddell, no one should be surprised that a more strict timeline has been factored into the UFC’s planned expansion for Southeast Asia.

Company projections currently call for a UFC landing in the Philippines sometime in the summer of 2009, according to a report on UFC.com.

“Chuck is a rock star over here,” Fertitta told UFC.com from his stop in the Philippines. “He walks in the hotel and there are people all over him, and then we ended up doing a public training session and over 4,000 people showed up at the Mall of Asia just to see him. It was very interesting, even at times a little bit scary because there were so many people there.”

In some way, the UFC, which already has a broadcast television deal with the ABS-CBN network in the Philippines, has arguably gone more mainstream in Southeast Asia than it has in America.

“When we came to the hotel, we checked in about 6:30 in the morning and there were about 20 photographers waiting for us. Then we held a press conference at nine and there were multiple TV stations and reporters. It’s beyond the imagination. They have a full day of press for us tomorrow, and I’ve got to be honest, I knew that we were growing internationally, but I don’t think I really had an appreciation for the amount of momentum we truly have until I came over here and saw it for myself.”

With Summer 2009 now penciled in on the docket, Fertitta says the UFC is already planning for its first event in the Philippines. Not only will they bring stars like Liddell to Southeast Asia, but just as they did in Canada, England, and Northern Ireland, the UFC plans to use regional fighters in the Octagon.

“It will be a combination of bringing over some of our stars and then hopefully having some local Filipino fighters, and maybe bringing in some of the guys from Japan and South Korea,” said Fertitta.

As many other promotions have fallen to the wayside or are currently struggling financially, the UFC machine only seems into ever-higher gears as the days roll on. With Germany and the Philippines starting to take shape, maybe fans in Australia can start holding their breath.

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC finalizes Sept. 26 event with addition of five undercard bouts

Preparing to embark on a stretch of three events in 15 days, EliteXC recently finalized their Sept. 26 ShoXC event from the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, Calif.

In addition to five previously announced bouts that will air on Showtime, the organization added five more untelevised bouts to the card.

Scott Lighty (3-0) will take on Jamiah Williamson (3-0), Steve Gable (2-0) will meet Josh McDonald (3-3), Paul Arras (4-1) meets Mono Otero (3-2), Devin Howard (1-1) will face Luke Riddering (1-0), and fellow debutants Eric Franco (0-0) and Michael Gahan (0-0) will open the evening's action.

Lighty debuted professional in January for the Palace Fighting Championship. His three victories have been varied in nature, with a submission, TKO and decision all in his favor.

The undefeated Williamson has not fought since March 2007. Two of his three victories have been by way of KO or TKO.

Gable first professional fight was for ShoXC in March. The undefeated fighter has fought a total of less than four minutes in his two victories.

McDonald is a Cesar Gracie fighter who has already competed in the WEC and Rumble on the Rock. All three of his victories have come by decision.

Arras is a King of the Cage veteran whose four career victories have all come via TKO. The Los Angeles resident last fought in March, losing to Reggie Orr by submission.

Otero went 3-1 for the New Mexico-based Desert Extreme organization before losing in his March King of the Cage debut by TKO. None of Otero's fights have made out of the opening frame.

Howard will be competing in his third professional fight, all under the ShoXC banner. The California native earned a submission win in his March debut but then dropped a unanimous decision to Lucas Gamaza the following month.

Riddering debuted professionally for ShoXC in April, earning a first-round TKO.

ELiteXC will also host "EliteXC: Heat" on Oct. 4, as well as another ShoXC event in Hammond, Ind., on Oct. 10.

The final card now includes:

MAIN CARD

Abel Cullum vs. Wilson Reis -- for first-ever EliteXC bantamweight title
David Douglas vs. Malaipet Team Diamond
Shane Del Rosario vs. Carl Seumanutafa
Jaime Jara vs. Giva Santana
Erik Apple vs. Matt Makowski
PRELIMINARY CARD

Scott Lighty vs. Jamiah Williamson
Steve Gable vs. Josh McDonald
Paul Arras vs. Mono Otero
Devin Howard vs. Luke Riddering
Eric Franco vs. Michael Gahan

Feb 7, 2006
Jimmy 'The Titan' Ambriz will replace Mighty MO at DREAM. 6 & Face Sergei Kharitonov
Ken Pavia from MMA Agents informed PDG today that he will be flying to Japan tomorrow and his fighter Jimmy "The Titan" Ambriz will be replacing Mighty MO at DREAM. 6 against Sergei Kharitonov on Tuesday Sept. 23rd. No word yet on why Mighty MO had to withdraw but an announcement is expected soon.

Feb 7, 2006
Feijão with opponent for EliteXC belt

After confirming exclusively to TATAME.com that he’ll do his next fight in EliteXC for the light-heavyweight title, Rafael “Feijão” Cavalcante said that his trainings now are focused in one opponent. “It looks like I’m going to face Cyrille Diabate, who fought with Shogun (Rua) in Pride. I think will be him, 90% chances”, said the athlete, that will face at November 8th card. With three fast knockouts on the event, Cavalcante keeps training with Anderson Silva to win the belt.“We’re training very hard, Anderson trains at (October) 25th and I’ll fight at (November) 5th, so we’re training together. I saw all of his fights here with Anderson and he’s from Muay Thai, good standing up and has a reasonable ground game, and I’ll beat this guy standing up, we’re training for that”, guarantees Rafael, training with the UFC middleweight dominance champion."I'm getting beat a lot, but I can handle it. I’m training with Daniel Wiorin standing up, and Boxing with Maldonado, and after that it’s hard to lose for anyone, I ca handle any fighter”, jokes Cavalcante, eyeing his first title in career after 10 fights. “Win this belt is like a dream coming true, everything I always wanted. I train hard and no nothing wrong to avoid any surprises. It’ll be the first of many other belts”.

Feb 7, 2006
Marco Loro ready Ueda and Shooto belt

Ready to fight against Masakatsu Ueda to win the Shooto’s featherweight title, Marco Loro flies tomorrow to Japan. “The preparation was very tough, I’m training three times everyday. I’m looking after this fight and I’m very confident and focused, I’ll bring this belt to Brazil”, guarantees the Nova União athlete, that says he’s ready for everything.
“I’m ready for any situation, but I’ll try to do what I always do, put him down, but I can stand with him too”, analyzes the athlete, that trained hard on feet. “I’m training a lot of Boxing and I developed it a lot”, finished the athlete, that goes with Andre Pederneiras to the Rising Sun Land tomorrow. Check below the complete card of the event.

COMPLETE CARD (subject changing):
Shooto
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan
Sunday, September 28th of 2008

Lightweight GP:

- Junji Sarumaru vs. Yoshitaka Aki;

- Kota Funamoto vs. Kentaro Watanabe;

- Hiroshige Tanaka vs. Mitsuru Kobayashi;

- Naoki Hirayama vs. Takuya Sato;

Main card:

- Masakatsu Ueda vs. Marco Loro;

- Masaki Sugawara vs. Takuya Mori;

- Tenkei Fujimiya vs. Shuntaro Ishiwata;

- Yasuhiro Urushitani vs. Yuki Shoujou.

Feb 7, 2006
Kuniyoshi Hironaka Interview

DREAM official website posted an interview of Kuniyoshi Hironaka, who faced Mach Sakurai, in DREAM.6. (This interview was taken place on Sep 11)
- You face Mach in DREAM.6. Tell me how you feel now.
I'm only 1 year younger than he is; however, he was a superstar when I started MMA. He was already a well-known middleweight fighter in Japan at that time. He was my idol and I wanted to be like him. I would like to get through this fight with a victory.
- Have you even imagined to face Mach in your second appearance in DREAM?
I have actually expected to fight him since I was the only Japanese fighter who could be even with him.
- Why do you respect him?
As you know, he is a great striker. He is aggressive and he combines all his techniques smoothly and effectively. He is an animal.
- What parts do you think you are better than him?
I excel in grappling and my takedown is better than his.
- Do you have any game plan?
I want to win no matter what he does. I try to submit and KO him for sure. I will focus on positioning. I want to get an advantageous position and dominate him. Our fight will have lots of moves and I'm sure everybody enjoy watching.
- If you win, you probably start to thinking about getting a belt?
For sure. I hope I can get an opportunity to challenge the belt, or I want to participate in the tournament if DREAM has the welterweight tournament.
- Any message at last?
This is the biggest chance in my life. I would like to defeat him by KO or submission. We definitely have an exciting fight and I hope my dream come true.

Feb 7, 2006
Gegard Mousasi interview

Gegard Mousasi (22-2-1), having won in the battle against Denis Kang, secured himself a place in the DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix which will emanate from Tokio on September, 23. In the exclusive interview to our site Gegard who at the moment trains in Russia with Fedor, tells about the preparations, his upcoming bout and shares his thoughts on other MMA-related topics.

Michael Mazur: Hi Gegard! How are you doing? Are you ready for the Finale of Dream Middleweight Grand Prix?

Gegard Mousasi: I am good thanks. Yes, I am training well and I am in top shape.

Michael: You expressed your wish to take on Melvin Manhoef numerous times. You got what you wished for…

Gegard: Yes, I feel I need to prove something to the Dutch people.

Michael: What will your strategy be against Manhoef?

Gegard: I will fight him standup and on the ground. I feel I am no less in the stand up game than he is.

Michael: DREAM Finale implies two fights in the same evening. Do you prepare specifically for this case?

Gegard: No, I am only concentrating on Melvin. I will concentrate on the second fight after the first one.

Michael: Who would you pick up as the winner of Ronaldo Souza vs. Zelg Galesic to fight in the final fight of the Grand Prix?

Gegard: I think Jacare but Zelg is always dangerous.

Michael: How much time does your preparation for a scheduled bout last? How often do you prefer fighting per year?

Gegard: I am always in training but when a fight is scheduled I train twice a day. I want to stay busy this year and later on I plan to fight 4/5 times a year.

Michael: How does your training regimen look like now? Did it change in any way? How many training sessions do you have during a week?

Gegard: I train 10 times a week. I also applied swimming in my training for my conditioning. Other than that a lot of sparring.

Michael: Does your training include dieting (if so, what kind of dieting?) and do you use any medicine or supplements to recover from the hard training?

Gegard: As a athlete you have to take supplements to be able train harder and recover on time. As for dieting I don’t eat junk food that’s it.

Michael: Who do you consider the best fighters in the world disregarding weight class?

Gegard: Fedor and Georges St.Pierre.

Michael: What are your thoughts on Sergei Kharitonov vs. Mighty Mo and Alistair Overeem vs. Mirko CroCop at DREAM? Who’ll win?

Gegard: Sergei I think because he is more well rounded. Also Alistair is in great shape but it’s difficult to call that one...

Michael: These are becoming pretty popular questions now but how do you see the fight between Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar and what’s your attitude towards Kimbo Slice?

Gegard: Everybody wants to make a lot of money so I can’t blame them and about Kimbo I respect him, he is a tough guy.

Michael: Have you ever considered coming to the UFC? Have you received any offers from this organization?

Gegard: Yes but I want to go to the UFC when I have made a name for myself. I think that’s better for me and no I haven’t received any offers from them.

Michael: What was your hardest fight up to date?

Gegard: I don’t know... this tournament where I have to fight twice will be the most difficult one.

Michael: What background did you have before you started training MMA?

Gegard: I had done some judo when I was young but I came mainly from boxing.

Michael: How do you relax before and after the fights?

Gegard: I try no to think about the fight and I believe in God. What happens happens. Usually after a fight I like to go behind my computer and watch the last bout.

Michael: Are there many people trying to be friends with you now? What are your thought on that? How do you deal with that?

Gegard: Haha no, I have some good friends.

Michael: Were you a problem child? Did you fight a lot? Can you tell any peculiar story?

Gegard: No, everyone had done some stupid things when he was younger.

Michael: Gegard, I wish you all the best and good luck in your preparation. You’ll represent the Netherlands and Red Devil Europe well. No doubt about it. I‘ll talk to you after you conquer the crown of DREAM.

Gegard: Thanks my friend I appreciate it. I’ll do my best. Watch me fight!